Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

This is a crosspost from my thread in GBS.

About a month ago there was a discussion of collecting and compiling some of the funniest posts and threads into a book, something that, like The Planet Builders, could help make $$$ for the site? I wanted to see if there was any interest in collecting posts and how we could do it. I think there's some great comedy gold that's both on point and insightful on the forums and it would be interesting to get a few pages laid out into a book. Is there any interest in putting this together?

A few people suggested PYF would be a good resource.

Of course the last page would just be "I'm Gay"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lil Peeler posted:

This is a crosspost from my thread in GBS.

About a month ago there was a discussion of collecting and compiling some of the funniest posts and threads into a book, something that, like The Planet Builders, could help make $$$ for the site? I wanted to see if there was any interest in collecting posts and how we could do it. I think there's some great comedy gold that's both on point and insightful on the forums and it would be interesting to get a few pages laid out into a book. Is there any interest in putting this together?

A few people suggested PYF would be a good resource.

Of course the last page would just be "I'm Gay"

Wouldn't it be a bit of legal hassle, since all post would be owned by their posters?

Bag
Oct 17, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Wouldn't it be a bit of legal hassle, since all post would be owned by their posters?

He could PM them for their consent or work out a deal to give them a cut of whatever.

You can make a whole mini drama out of the Doobie saga. Enough goons seem to still love talking about that long past the point the comedy dried up.

Also, everyone could enjoy the irony if your Doobie book failed.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Wouldn't this basically a curated printout of the pyf forum quote+forum saga threads? Would anyone actually pay money for that for any other reason than just wanting to donate to the site?

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
Here follows a carefully curated list of all the good posts made on this site since my registration nearly a decade ago:

   

    
        

TheMaskedUgly has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Nov 23, 2017

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Randaconda posted:

Tell that to Victor Surge.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
If you could access every post ever made on SA, then I guess it could be a cool idea. Thing is, you wouldn't want it to read like a "best of SA quotes" because you'll never get anyone outside of SA to buy it. You need to make it more a "Something Awful: The History of a Dead, Gay Forum" And chronicle things like the Slenderman saga, vilerat and his contribution to SA, the social commentary and original content that came out of SA and how goons essentially shaped the internet in the early 2000s.

When you have a solid plan, I'd be down to help out.

Zipperelli. has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Nov 26, 2017

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Randaconda posted:

I'm 99% sure that the posts on this site are owned by the site itself, so all you'd need is Lowtax. Much like Facebook actually owns all the poo poo you post there. So that shouldn't be a problem.

This sounds like a good idea OP, and I'd be interested in helping I guess, since I don't have much going on. Have you scoured the Greatest Sagas thread here in PYF? What are you thinking of putting in it.

If you want to get people more interested then you're gonna have to do a little more than just post a "hey i wanna do a thing" thread.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It'd be pretty funny. I'd also lend it to friends who don't know about the forums so they can make fun of me/join (not mutually exclusive)

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Needs a glossy color three page fold out of goatse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Actually make it a two pager at the center of the book and frame it so it's like you're opening the books rear end in a top hat. and have the book come with a free ring for authenticity

• Locked thread