Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Problem description: I'm trying to record audio from a source via a regular old 3.5mm line-in cable. Since this MBP has a combined 4-pole jack rather than separate headphone and microphone inputs, and the OS is new enough that it got rid of the "use headphone port as input" option, I'm kind of up poo poo creek as far as simple solutions to this goes.

Attempted fixes: I am aware Apple does stupid stuff with its proprietary audio jack standard, so I've tried using the following converters:
headphone+mic to 4-pole splitter
CTIA to OMTP adapter

Whether it's using the 3to4 pole adapter alone or combined with the CITA to OMTP adapter, I can't get OSX to pick up the line-in audio, and instead it goes back to using the built-in microphone for audio in.

I have a standalone 4-pole headphone+mic that picks up audio perfectly fine when it is plugged in by itself. Not useful in this case, unfortunately.

Not sure if relevant, but for some reason when I have both headphones and line-in hooked up to the splitter, I can hear the line-in audio through my headphones, albeit at an extremely low volume.
--

Operating system: macOS High Sierra

System specs: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes/No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Apple Tech Specs posted:

Audio: Stereo speakers, Dual microphones, 3.5 mm headphone jack
- Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
- Support for audio line out (digital/analog)
It looks like line-in audio may not supported on the 2015 Retina MacBook Pro. USB audio interfaces are relatively inexpensive (Behringers run about $30), even quality ones can be bought for about $100 (a used Scarlett 2i2, e.g.).

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-2015/

• Locked thread