Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Problem description: Bought a new 10gb HGST hard drive to store all of my media and replace a couple 5+ year old drives already in my system. The problem is that my system refuses to recognize the drive. At all. It doesn't appear in disk management in Win10 or on the EFI. Ok, so the disk doesn't work, right? Well, it does, but ONLY in an external powered USB hard drive reader. Using that, it works just fine.

Attempted fixes: I have tried different SATA cables, different SATA headers, I tried removing everything but the new drive.

Recent changes: The only change is adding the drive, and the above listed attempted fixes.

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro x64

System specs: 4790k, 16gb RAM, ASUS z97 Pro Gamer, 2 x gtx1080, corsair ax860, samsung 1tb 960, 2tb WD Green, 4tb WD Green, 6tb WD Red

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes/Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib
:v: 10gb? You've been had, that disk is about 1000x too small for your requirements.

OK, I know you meant 10 TB.

Is it perhaps one of these models?
https://www.hgst.com/products/hard-drives/ultrastar-he10

The Ultrastar He10 is a series of models, including both SATA and SAS models, both Advanced Format 512e and 4Kn variants, and various security technology options.

Knowing the exact model number of the drive would be kind of important in solving this puzzle. Also what is the make and model of that USB hard drive reader?

And I'm sorry but I must ask: are you sure the drive is receiving power when connected to the motherboard? Can you hear/feel it spinning up when powering up the system?

• Locked thread