Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

10 days late on the reply but literally every car I've owned since 1994 except one were bought through copart. My dad was a dealer but he retired two years ago. They still let him buy cars though because he was a customer for 25 years. If you find my posts in the project tracking thread you can see several of the cars I've rebuilt over the years. This is the most recent: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814309

Some cars are open to the public, you can browse them if you click around on the site. The rules vary by state, in Colorado no insurance auctions are open to the public. I'd have to hire a dealer or buying agent if I wanted a car here.

You create an account, and then bid on cars as they come up. It's really exciting but it's kind of become the norm so when you find a really special car you generally end up paying top dollar for it. If you have the time, tools, space, and energy it's really fun to build one or two working cars out of two or three damaged ones. Last year I worked on a 2007 Volvo C70 6 speed manual with a blown motor. My dad had a 26k mile motor left over from a previous part-out and I stuffed it into the 07. Fired up on the first try, was awesome.

Here's my description of buying through copart in that V50 thread:

quote:

I think the best way to describe it is "Buyer beware. No, really, watch it." It is very easy to screw yourself over. They try but it's still impossible with the volume of cars they move to accurately describe all of them. I mean, go look at a listing. You get 10 photos of questionable quality and resolution, often with bad light or from a bad angle. You get a vague description of the damage, they tell you if it starts, and if it moves when put in gear. And you get the insurance data with the insurance estimated repair cost and what the insurance paid on the claim.

It's very easy to get enamored with a car and miss clues for damage or neglect, usually hope is a road to disappointment. I approach it by studying the photos carefully several times, several days apart, looking for clues like if you can see coolant in the reservoir, if engine parts are missing, if there's damage on other parts of the car, if the interior is beat, stuff like that. And I always assume it's worse than what I can see, so I set a value based on that and walk away if it exceeds it.

The worst is when you buy a great car that gets damaged in shipping. And nobody will pay you for anything, ever. Copart will not refund or credit you if the car is misrepresented, or if they damage it in their yard, and the trucker will not pay you anything, they'll say it was like that when they got it.

So basically there is a lot of risk and it's all on you. You have to have good judgement and also be a gambler. I've only been burned bad once and even then it only cost me like a grand extra to repair a car. Most of my buys were average 10 foot cars, and twice I ended up with near flawless, beautiful cars. My dad bought 10-20 cars a year and would get burned about 10% of the time. You just eat the cost and fix the car. The safest way to buy is if the car you want shows up at your local yard, so you can inspect it yourself in person. But that's not common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread