Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Bart and Nathan

Bart nods at the door. This was the abandoned workhouse that the rogue vampire was holed up in, or so his sources told him. Nathan steps back and with a swift kick blows the heavy doors off their hinges. They fly into the wide space before crashing into some machinery.

Not far from the door is an empty table with a lit lantern. A voice echoes from somewhere unknown inside the building.

“That you Nat? Wulfram not vamp enough to come alone? Sends his dog and some worthless blood bag.”

A shrill laugh sounds.

“Still, I’m not one to talk. I’ve become quite fond of the cattle myself.”

A bottle smashes off the lintel above your heads. Turning you see around 10 guys with a mix of clubs, pitchforks and long knives. There are eyes are glossy. Dominated. Seems like he knew you were coming. The men lopsidedly charge at you with no cries of battle.

What do you do?

Bart: Who do you recognize amongst the mob?
Nathan: What did Wulfram tell you was this vampires name and crime?

Also a reminder for Bart that if he injures a mortal while hunting the supernatural that he will have to mark corruption.

Gunther and Wiseman

The stage coach had dropped you both off in Frederheim in the morning. The village was little more than a breadbasket for Altdorf but it had the unique of honor to have been a village given by the emperor to the Church of Shallya. As such it had an asylum on a small hill outside the village center. The Patroness had told you that there was a move within the winds of chaos that indicated something happening in Frederheim that could become the source of a surge of Nurglite influence in the city. Thus you had both come early in the morning to investigate.

Despite your hopes that it wouldn’t involve the asylum it became clear that there was nothing really happening in the village center itself. The villagers themselves largely left the asylum to the sisters who worked there and they had their own gardens and so had little need to come to see them either. So about midday you both make your way up to the imposing asylum.

The first sign that something is amiss is the fact that the gate creaks in the breeze, unlocked and swinging freely. As you approach the steps you can hear crashing and see sparks flying behind the windows as smoke billows heavily from the chimney. The door bursts open and a man tumbles heavily as if shoved bodily from indoors.

The fall, quickly turns into a tumble before turning into a flip and in the blink of an eye he stands flourishing before you.

“Step right up! Step right up! The Carnival of Nurgle is in town! Won’t you come in and join the fun. I insist!”

What do you do?

Wiseman and Gunther: Tell about a strange and/or horrifying attraction you see taking place behind one of the windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Reserving the second post.

Please post your sheet in your first post.

Everyone should have a free advance, a free corruption advance and three points of corruption. I saw a few people with a level of corruption and three points but you should have no levels of corruption yet.

House Rule: If you roll a miss (6 or below) you can mark a faction. Perhaps people will advance too quickly but I thought I'd try it since the game should only be updating once a week and it helps take the sting out of missing. Please note which faction you mark and if I can I'll probably work it into the miss.

Faction shorthand
Mortality: Empire, Dwarves
Night: Vampires, Skaven
Wild: Chaos, Elves
Power: Colleges of Magic, the Church of Sigmar

I'm not sure about orcs...

Apocron fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 9, 2017

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Bart Temple, Abandoned Workhouse

Hans Johannson, an investigator with the city guard, was among the mob. No doubt he found his missing persons and the source. While it was good that he was still alive it was unfortunate to have a blade between them. He was a competent officer, willing to pool information with hunters like Bart. What is more Bart simply liked the fellow. So this complicated the matter. Bart spoke an aside to Nathan.

"I'd rather not kill them if we could help it."

He turned to go after his quarry but heard the unmistakable sounds of mob-on-vampire violence. He hung his head and grabbed his whip. He crouched as he swung it low at the calves of the mob. With luck they wouldn't bleed out or suffer permanent impairment.

Pre-rolled a 7 in chat. I am using my whip(based off the chain, basically a castlevania inspired bit). Close/area Bladed with Silver, Has 1 Harm but Bladed adds another as well as Deadly. So 3 harm and as long as they are close enough together area ignores their armor.

Take something from them: Trying to slow them down so they can't give chase.

A bad spot: My Whip is pretty distinct, even if they aren't able to tell the tale it will be known I attacked them.

Corruption marked.

JamezBfod posted:

Bartholomew Templeton aka “Bart Temple”

Occupation: “Witch Hunter” Though in practice: if it pays, he slays.

Appearance:

Male, Mixed Race. Appears swarthy but difficult to pin down his specific enthicities.

Dark clothing, favours black leather and dark blue cloth.

Calculating demeanor - Always trying to read the situation and gain an edge, from the card table to the back alleys and everywhere between.

Stats:

Blood 3 Heart 0 Mind 1 Spirit -1

Dangerous but not charismatic, sharp but not quite wise. (I’m not sure what spirit does but I want to say it’s a curse)

Mortality 2 [_] Night 1 [_] Power 0 [_] Wild -1 [_]

Bound to ties with Official Empire Bounties and those from the Gangs, he sides with Mortality more often than not. He has also done some discreet work for the...Civilized vampire folk. Their strays put them all in a bad light and someone has to deal with it. The empowered he is like as not to have hunted or worked for, ending in a neutral balance. The fey and the wolf remember his early days with the gangs, though, and they do not forgive easily.

How long have you been in the city: His whole life, taken in by one of the gangs from street urchin-dom to his eventual rise as a Hunter.

How did you become a hunter: Though he doesn’t share the story often he found a dying hunter in the sewer. Taking on the gear and the bounty he finished off the prey and in so doing found his calling.

What do you hunt, primarily: Really anything that transgresses enough for coin to be offered for it to be taken care of.

What are their strengths and weaknesses:
Usually dangerous, whether magically powerful or physically. Most things tend to have a weakness to head shots.

What terrible thing have you done to yourself to even the playing field: After trying to give up a demonic bounty, he accepted a potion marked “Skill” in lieu of payment to finish it instead of incurring the penalty for breaking the contract. Whatever it did, he is far deadlier than he was before. His eyes don’t look right, either.

How are you like them: Whatever his prey, they all tend to indulge their own desires to excess. Bart Temple tends to do the same on his own time.

Stuff

lovely hovel by the docks, Cart and Donkey.

3 custom weapons

Crossbow: Close/Far ReloadBlessed(+Holy), High powered(+1 Harm) 3 Harm, (Based off bow) When possible, Bart uses this to drop or maim his foe before he even gets close.

Whip: Hand/Area Bladed(+1 Harm), silver 2 harm (Based off Chain) He has spent some coin to repair this weapon. It comes in handy against werefolk and various other supernatural foes.

Knucks: Hand/HandEnchanted, Cold Iron 1 harm. Bart won this in a dice game back in his old gang. Despite being who-knows-how-old it always looks brand new.

Debts

Enlisted to protect from something very dangerous, 1 Debt-
Despite my reputation among her kind a young lady of fey heritage, Shoshona Pilehome, hired me to protect her from a rather foreward vampiric suitor. I delivered, and sent a message for anyone else who might think about harming one of my private clients again.

Keeps me Equipped and Supplied
, 1 debts owed: My Bartender Steven. An outfitter from the old gang, keeps me in touch with street level gossip, gear on a job, and recreational substances when I’m not.

Armorer 1 debt owed. I took a liking to a halfling veteran. Name is Wiseman. Last of his line so he says. I've hired him to work on a new set of armor for me, after my last was hit by a hex and finally destroyed.

Gets me my Fix 1 debt owed:Nathaniel Slayne. I don't know where this vampire gets his stuff, but it's good.

Saved my Whip The Guard Hans, 1 Debt owed.

Got Them out of a Jam Owe me 1 Debt: Nathaniel Slayne I pulled a pitchfork out of his chest and pushed him away from an angry mob. They got a few stabs at me instead.

A friend despite bringing me trouble: Owe me 1 Debt: Rocco, member of my old gang. Tends to get in over his head, I have intimidated his way out of a bad situation in the past.

Moves

Slayer
- When you Keep Your Cool When on a hunt roll with Blood instead of Spirit.

Deadly - When you Inflict Harm, Increase the Harm by 1

Do you feel Lucky? - When you Persuade an NPC While Wielding a +2 harm or greater weapon, roll with blood instead of Heart.

Book Learnin' - When you encounter a supernatural creature, roll with Mind. On a hit, the MC will tell you a bit about it and how it can be killed. On a 10+, ask the MC a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, you misread the creature; the MC tells you how.

Corruption Move Hard to Kill Choose a Faction. Mark 1 Corruption to gain armor +1 against that faction until the end of the Scene

Advances:
Free [X] +1 Blood
1 - A New Hunter Move - Book Learnin'

Corruption: [_] [_] [_] [_] [_]
(Advance)

[X] [X] [X] [X] [_] (Mark)

Free Corruption Advance: Hard to Kill Choose a Faction. Mark 1 Corruption to gain armor +1 against that faction until the end of the Scene

Harm:

Faint [_]
Grievous: [_] [_]
Severe: [_] [_]

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 24, 2018

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Nathaniel Slayne
Abandoned Warehouse

Nathan scoffs at the words emanating from the darkness, "You aren't worthy of the bottom of Master Wulfram's boot, much less the edge of his blade. The rules aren't complicated Isaac. So you feed on a priest of Sigmar, leave him a husk on his alter and you thought you were just going to walk away? You're a weak willed fool, and you always have been."

Then a bottle crashes above him, making him whirl around. He frowns heavily as the mob of dominated humans approaches. Complicated. But perhaps he could use this to his advantage? If he could demonstrate how worthless this method of attack is, perhaps he could lure his opponent out to him?

He makes a slight motion to Bart, before he dashes forward at his superhuman speed, "A horde of ghouls? Tacky, Isaac, very tacky! What did you expect this to do?"

A fist goes flying in towards his face, but he manages to avoid it, but then something catches him by surprise. The humans, in their dominated state, were faster, stronger and more organized than a normal mob would be. If he were to draw his sword it wouldn't be a problem, but as it was... a cudgel hits him in the back of the head, making him stagger forward and grimace.

Surely Isaac wouldn't miss this show...

professor_curly posted:

Nathaniel Slayne
Blut Drachenschutz

Nathaniel appears to be a young, fit man of macabre disposition and possessing an intense gaze. He is young, in fact - certainly by vampire standards. He has made his way to Altdorf to complete the next phase of his training as one of the noble Blood Dragons, under the distant tutelage of his vampiric "father," Master Wolfram. Now he walks the streets of this city teeming with temptations of every type, fighting his inner demons while seeking out worthy opponents and ending the lives of other monsters.

Look
» Male, Ostermarker
» Vintage Clothing, Concealing Clothing

Corruption: [X] [X] [X] [ ] [ ]
Corruption Level: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Harm:
[X] - Faint - stabbed through with a pitchfork
[X] [ ] - Grevious
[ ] [ ] - Critical

Stats
Blood 3, Heart 1, Mind 0, Spirit -1

Factions
Mortality 1, Night 2, Power -1, Wild 0

Factions Checked:
Mortal: Yes
Night: Yes
Power: Yes
Wild: Yes

Gear
» A secluded apartment
» a Dependable Horse (Fury)
» a carrier falcon
» 1 stylish Sword (3-harm hand messy)

Moves
Eternal Hunger: You hunger for human blood, flesh, or emotions, pick
one. When you feed, roll with Blood. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7-9,
choose 2:
» You heal 1-harm
» You learn a secret about them
» You take +1 forward
» They don’t die
On a miss, something goes terribly wrong.

Irresistible: When you Persuade an NPC using promises or seduction,
treat a 7-9 as a 10+ result. On a miss, your machinations succeed as
though you rolled a 7-9, but attract the attention of a rival or enemy.

Cold-Blooded: When you Keep Your Cool under emotional duress, roll
with Blood instead of Spirit.

Adaptable Palate: You can feed on any creature, not just humans.
Feeding on something wildly different than a human will have unexpected
side effects.

Debts
» Someone makes sure you get fed regularly. You owe them 2 Debts.

Lady Alexandra Batalor
The good Lady Batalor, a noblewoman of the Altdorf elite. Once, I saved her from one of my wayward kin. Now she has repaid that a hundred times over. I am in her debt, and she knows it. A potentially dangerous situation, for although she has seen firsthand the dangers of the vampire, the temptation of immortality is ever present.

» Someone bears responsibility for you becoming a vampire. They owe you a Debt.

Master Wolfram
Master Wolfram, knight of the blood dragons, created me in a moment of weakness. He had slain my lord, and drank his blood but it did not sate his thirst. My lord was a powerful warrior - I was a young squire. I never stood a chance. The next night, I woke to find myself alone and in a cave nearby. I went to bury my lord, as a squire should... Instead I found Master Wolfram there, and he apologized for his failure. He took it upon himself to complete my training, and so I joined the order of the Blood Dragons.

» Someone relies on you for their fix. They owe you a Debt

Bart Temple
Bart Temple is a very formidable man. Were he to turn his hunter's gaze upon me, I am unsure of the victor in a fair conflict. Luckily I am a creature of specific talents, and I can get him what he needs. So far, it has been enough to counteract his mercenary nature.

» Bart pulled a pitchfork out of me. I owe him a Debt
ALT Nathan art:
https://i.imgur.com/6eXIen1.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c0/46/a6/c046a6aaeb9fd465a953ba7830bd9b80.jpg

Checks
Mortality - Starting partner (Bart)
Wild - Failure to be a cool dude and distract the mob of dominated mortals.

Advances
Free Corruption Advance: Adaptable Palate
Free Advance: +1 Blood

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 16, 2017

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Nathaniel Slayne
Abandoned Warehouse

Nathan grunts as his plan to divert the attention of their target and the mob backfires. He isn't exactly sure how he ended up there, but now he is pinned to the wall by a pitchfork, while Bart whips at the mob with his weapon, tying them up by their legs somehow. Then Bart walks over, braces himself against the wall and helps pull the pitchfork out to free the young vampire warrior, but not without harm...

I'll Owe Bart One for saving me and End up in a dangerous situation as part of my escape.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 11, 2017

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Günther von Froheim
Corrupted Asylum

Günther resists the urge to recoil from the creature. It was disgusting. An Asylum. Posisbly these cultists were investigating diseases of the mind, rather than the body? Or perhaps they just liked a bunch of people that were captured, and desecrating a place sacred to Shallya to boot. Briefly, he gazed inside, and saw a sigh of a man sitting in a chair, conscious and unrestrained, as another man was making superficial cuts into his body and filling the wounds with small, white, writhing maggots.

Still, lying with his life on the line was the regular, every day matter for him. He gave a rueful smile. "Oh, I'll come in, but all business today I'm afraid. Some of our allies in Atdorf have managed to secure something from a ship coming from Lustria. Quite the intriguing diseases, virulent, though the weather in Reikland is a bit chilly to its tastes, but not something that we want to unleash on 'the main stage' before someone's had a chance to improve it a bit. So we're looking for some competent, creative folks who would be able to manage Grandfather's gift, and bring out the best of that visitor from the west. So, what can you tell me about your operation here?"

Lie to the Nurglite (with Heart): 2d6+2 9 I want them to expose a weakness, and I want to confuse them for some time. He hoped Wiseman would just keep mum and follow the ruse.

quote:

Günther von Froheim
Diener der Prinz

Günther was always an enthusiastic supporter of the arts. Paintings, statues, literature, songs and poems. He freely gave of his fortune as a Maecenas. Too freely it turned out. Faced with debts, and his family cutting him off, he was desperate. One of the people who he'd supported knew someone who could help. Günther is still in debt. But it's no longer golden crowns that can pay it off. He tries to find a balance between not having his beloved Altdorf go to pieces, while at the same time making good on his duties to Slaanesh. Fortunately, there's always the servants of the Plaguelord to remove.

Looks: Male, Reiklander
Fashionable, colourful clothing
Demeanour: Noble

Starting Character Stats:
Blood 1 Heart 2 Mind -1 Spirit 0
Starting Factions
Mortality 1 Night -1 Power 0 Wild 1

Debts (leaving this to possibly use with other players)

You’re protecting someone from a dark power. They owe you 2 Debts.
There is something about Wiseman Blackbriar that has the cult of Khorne very eager to collect his head. Something about a collection. Perhaps I shouldn't have intervened, but, well, I need someone with a combination of martial skill and... discretion in the tasks I am given sometimes, and this certainly allowed me to have a hold on him. While he works for me, most of the Khornites likely will simmer and turn to other targets to sate their bloodlust, though who knows with them.

Someone is trying to save you and keeps suffering for it. You owe them 2 Debts.

Magda Malmstein is a Novice Priestess at the temple of Shalya. I sometimes visit there, because it simply does not do for one to never be seen in a Temple, and that one is the least likely to... prod. And it is a good place to learn about the Plaguelord's current actions. She... is frighgfully perceptive however. She is always pushing to... volunteer for things. Tries to talk to me about mercy, and guilt, and repentance and forgiveness. Ill tongues are suggesting she has other reasons for talking to me so much, and it hurts her reputation. And I shudder to think what should happen to her should the Patroness take offense.

You have a demon patron who holds the contract for your soul. You owe them 3 Debts.

The Patroness, giving, enthusiastic, cultured, every curious about the newest and the latest while eminently educated about the ancient classics, she is everything I could hope for in an associate. But she is a Demon of Slaanesh, and she has marked me as Hers. When I faced financial ruin, I was guided to her, and she saved me. As long as I do not displease her, I will never have to worry about money again; But should I incur her full wrath, the ruin I would face would be.... absolute.

The Devil Inside: When you assume your demon form, roll with Blood. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1. On a miss, choose 1 and you owe your patron a Debt.
Gain armor+1
Heal 2-harm
Inflict +1 harm
+demonic weapon (3-harm hand or 2-harm close)
+demonic movement (flight, flaming motorcycle, etc.)
If you’re working a job for your patron, choose 1 more. If you mark corruption, choose 1 more.

A manor, a carriage
Sword (3-harm hand messy)

Don’t Look at Me: When you mislead someone, roll with Heart instead of Mind.

Corruption moves

Not to Be Denied: When someone refuses to honor a Debt you’ve cashed in on them, mark corruption to make their result a miss (after they roll).

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 11, 2017

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Bart Temple, Abandoned Workhouse

With Nathan free, Bart held the wound in his side and noted that vampires were weak to mob violence. Pulling out his crossbow the hunter looked ahead for further trouble. This whole thing reeked of a trap.

We are rolling poorly. 2 harm noted, debt noted, missing my whip, and faction(mortality) marked.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Wiseman Blackbriar
( Blood 0 || Mind 1 || Heart 1 || Spirit 0 ) ( []Mortality 2 || []Night 0 || []Wild 0 || []Power 0 )
Health: [ ] [ ][ ] [ ][ ] || Corruption: [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]

What in Sigmar’s name was going on back there?

I thought this Big jester’s been drinking and was barely keeping it together. Gunther already took the lead to chat him up. Fine by me. That’d give me the chance to get a better look at the insides. A billow of green gas had wafted through the room, and I followed the trail to a black jug. I could make out a sickly green color caked on the lid, and a couple of Big Folk who looked like they drank from it. They look like they were barely breathing. I tried to get closer, see what the hell they were drinking…

Attempting The Little Folk(Heart) to sneak around and take the bauble...

… but then the jester took notice of me, and that dashed my plans. It didn’t help that someone from the back took notice of me as well and called out for “that kid in the front door.”

edit: I'll mark Wild on account of what we're dealing with...

pre:
Name: Wiseman Blackbriar (Veteran)
Look: Male, Halfling, Old Uniform
Demeanor: Reserved

Statistics:

Blood: 0 || Heart: 1 || Mind: 1 || Spirit: 0

Factions:

Mortality: 2 || Night: 0 || Power: 0 || Wild: 0 

Corruption: [X][X][X][  ][  ]

Gear: 

A Flintlock pistol [2-harm, close, loud], a cottage, a pony, and an old friend, a smart bird (Cherry), and a workspace:

WORKSPACE

A Junkyard of Raw Materials
A Library of Old Books
A Forge

DEBTS

Someone relies on you for knowledge and training; they owe you 2 debts:

There's this young Big Folk named Fritz. He lived somewhere in Altdorf proper. 
I met him when he came to my shop for tools. He had high hopes of being a hero, but when 
I met him he barely knew the smoking end of a gun. For his sake I taught him what I knew, 
so that way he'd know what he was getting himself into. 

You’re working on something big for someone; they owe you a debt:

Ah, I know what you're talking about. This Big Folk Bart came to me wanting some 
special armor. We chatted for a bit, and I told him I'd have his armor finished by the 
end of a week. He looked like he needed this badly.

Someone keeps pulling your rear end out of the fire; you owe them 2 debts:

Gunther. This man had saved me from Chaos Folk that wanted me dead. 
Then he went and stepped up patrols of Chaos. Least I can do is return the favor in some way. 

MOVES:

Old Friends, Old Favors:  When you first encounter and NPC, you may declare them an old 
friend instead of Putting a Face to a Name and roll with Mind. On a hit, they 
offer you comfort and aid, even if it exposes them to danger or retribution. On a 7-9, 
tell the MC why you owe them a Debt. On a miss, tell the MC why they want you dead.

The Little Folk (Heart): When you do something clever or sneaky while no one is looking, 
roll Heart. On a 7-9, you do it, and no one will notice what you did until later. 
On a 10+ then won't even think to blame you for it unless they know you quite well, 
or you personally tell them you did it.

Gun to a Knife Fight: When you Unleash on someone by seriously escalating the 
conflict, roll with Mind instead of Blood.

Pack Rat: You may mark corruption to reach into your kit and find just the thing you 
need to deal with your current situation.

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 13, 2017

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Nathan and Bart

Nathan moved like liquid lightning. Mortal peasants like these were no match for his years of experience and heightened physical prowess. At first he easily weaved between their clumsy cuts and blows. But then something changed. Instead of 10 disorganized barflies they began moving like a 20 armed monster. 10 pairs of eyes locked onto Nathan and suddenly the weapons swung in co-ordinated patterns that defied even his reflexes.

One slick cobblestone and blades began cutting at him, clubs began battering him. With deft moves he parried as many as he could but their goal was not to harm him but to drive him toward an awaiting pitchfork. The forks were driven deep into his stomach chest and a few of his attackers clasping it together lifted it and Nathaniel and rammed the pitchfork into the doorframe. The shock caused blood to spray forth from his lips covering the unblinking faces that showed no pleasure in his demise.

Bart was quick to react to the turn of events. With a flick of his wrist and a sweep of his whip the mobs legs found themselves being torn apart. A few of them dropped immediately without even a cry. Others dropped to their knees or slipped on the fresh pools of blood. Loosing his grip on his weapon it became like a barbed net of fallen bodies and blades and allowed him to rush forward to try and help his companion.

The pain caused by the whip allowed Hans to get a grip on himself. He was appalled to see the state of those around him, but even more at himself for being one of the people who’d impaled an innocent man on a pitchfork. While his fellows struggled to find their feet he threw his weight backward drawing the tines out of the doorframe and out of Nathan. At that moment Bart arrived and Hans pushed Nathan who was clasping his wounds toward him.

“Go!”

The two managed to work their way out of the mess. But not before one of them could take his wicked long knife and slice a deep diagonal cut across Bart’s back. The two of you make your way into the warehouse and into the forest of machinery out of the site of the mob.

As you enter the narrow labyrinthine corridors amidst the machines they burst into life. Steam hisses from pipes and joints as they shudder into life and begin pumping and stamping. The corridors are not labelled so there is little for it but to choose paths randomly as you search for your quarry.

Left, right, right, left. There is no apparent logic as to the floor plan until you finaly turn a corner and come face to face with a dwarf in overalls brandishing a blunderbuss. Behind him leaning casually against the machinery is Isaac.

“Gentlemen. You are persistent. Is my head really that valuable to you? No, it is valuable to Wulfram, but have you ever questioned why? Because I killed a Priest of Sigmar? They are hardly our friends. The church is a great tick sucking the city and empire dry. But such a full bloody tick is appetizing to our kind. And so he protects it to feed himself. The reason he wants me dead is not because of a murder, but because of a vision.

Do you know what this factory makes? Shackles. All the technology of the Empire and the dwarves and they use it to create ways to control the people. But I want the people to free. Listen to me if you will. Or turn and leave and tell Wulfram you killed me or I escaped. I will keep my peace and Wulfram will be happy until we are ready to move at the larger problems and set this city free. Or… you can keep coming toward me and die. I will give you a choice unlike the powers controlling this city.”

2-harm to Bart and Nathan. Bart marks 1 corruption for harming mortals. Mark factions for your misses.

Isaac got the drop on you. The dwarf foreman is under his mind control and has you near point blank with a blunderbuss. If either of you makes a direct attack you’re going to eat a full face of shot and have to mark a scar or die. What do you do?

Gunther and Wiseman

The Jester is crestfallen as you introduce yourselves as people from the city branch of the organization.

“Aw, that’s no fun! You stiffs from the city! It’s all ‘When’s the next plague? What does the next plague do? Plague, plague, plague!’ What’s the fun in popping pustules, purple fevers, and peeling flesh if you can’t make a game of it?”

He throws his hands up in the air in sullen resignment.

“Follow me.”

You walk into the asylum. The place stinks. Really stinks. It reminds you of a chaotic hospital ward, foul vomit everywhere, a burning rotten pungent garbage odor. You would throw up if you could, and if you did the place might even be slightly improved.

The place seems part fairground, part research lab, part torture chamber. You see patients thrashing in their restraints while they are injected with glowing syringes. Once, when you turn a corner, you see a group of midgets laughing like maniacs at a bearded lady while theirs eyes ooze orange pus. You climb the stairs and an arrow zips past your face. The upstairs gallery has been turned into a shooting range.

A bunch of slobs with blows and arrows waddle around, out of their mind, while swilling a bottle of black liquid. At the far end of the gallery is a board with organs nailed to it that must be their targets. But the organs still seem to pulse with life.

At this point Wiseman’s curiosity gets the best of him. The Jester appears tired of the horrors of the asylum and stares into the distance, leading you with muscle memory rather than his own volition. The archers themselves seem to possess little awareness of their surroundings. They shoot at the targets, trip over themselves, punch each other and pass out only to awake for the cycle to begin again. Wiseman casually slips across to the bottle but as soon as he puts the fingers on the bottle the Jester’s head snaps around, a mad grin bisecting his face.

“I knew it! Iknewit! Iknewit! Iknewit!”

He bounds over to Wiseman and throws a friendly arm around his shoulder.

“You little pintsize buggers love a drink. Of course you’re game to try our finest on a wee gamble.”

He locks his hand around yours, gripping the bottle. In a flash he is forcing its contents down your throat by your own hand. It tastes fantastically sweet. The memory of your mother’s berry pies surfaces in your mind. Before you know it you are gulping enthusiastically and the Jester has to pull the bottle from your fist.

“That’s a fun little curse disease. A little liquid hunger. The longer you leave it the stronger it gets. The more you satisfy it the more voracious it becomes. We were thinking of giving that a trial in the city anyway!”

The Jester spins and continues leading you through the asylum with a bounce in his step. He leads you from the wards into the offices. Here the doors are closed but that just heightens your awareness of the sounds. Squeals, shouts, grunts, pigs, horses, humans.

“It’s a wonder anyone can get anything done with this racket! At least the lady requires a little more decorum.”

Sure enough, as you move down a long corridor towards a tall door at the end the sounds subside. You can read a sign affixed to the top, “Chief Apothecary.” In contrast to the rest of the gruesome place this office seems almost normal. As he throws the doors open the smell of myrrh and cinnamon wafts out. The spacious office is near and a tall woman stands at the far end in front of a set of windows overlooking the quad at the center of the asylum.

“Lady! Guest from head office!”
“Come, have a look at the fruits of our labours.”

She speaks without turning. As you approach the window a massive creature bound in the center of the yard comes into view. It is a mountain of flesh, ruptured greenand purple, emitting pus, gas and liquid from every orifice. It’s face is a rictus of rage and pain. Now that you are closer to the window you can see runes holding invisible chains traced around it on the ground that burn and shift. A line of slaves carry buckets to the edge of its enclosure and scoop what seems to fall far enough away from it to be considered “safe.”

They have a chained Greater Unclean One!

Wiseman drinks from the bottle and gains +curse disease. If you declare something you hunger for then you gain +1 to all rolls contributing to gaining it and -2 to all other rolls. If you don’t declare something to hunger for after a while you will be taken by the hunger and I will declare something you hunger for. If you satisfy your hunger the hunger will grow stronger.

They are confused as to who you are and the weakness in their organization is that big angry daemon they have chained up. If something were to mess with those runes it would cause a whole lot of trouble for everybody.

What do you do?

Apocron fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 8, 2017

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
This post was retconned.

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 29, 2017

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Günther von Froheim
Corrupted Asylum

"Well, the city is not exactly the best place to be lighthearted about things. a wrong move and we're on a pyre. Someone has to do the dull work of supporting the work. We can't all be constantly having fun. Someone needs to make sure the Witch Hunters are looking in all the wrong places."

He follows, keeping his face a mask of impatient irritation when the halfling is forced to drink. He tried to interject, to say that they had places to be, but it went too fast. There'd be.... prices to pay for all that later, but for now, he'd keep up the facade. Entering the mercifully less foul smelling room, he gave a small bow. "A very good day." And walked forward when beckoned. The raising of his eyebrows was not faked at all. How long had this place been taken over?

"A great Unclean one? How very, very intriguing. How did you manage to bind a creature with that amount of power? I know a fair few people who'd be sacrificing various body parts, some of them even their own to be able to bind a creature half as powerful as that."

Take a name to a Face
SidekickBOT - Today at 11:04 PM
@Günther von Froheim: 2d6+1 = (6+1)+1 = 8 I know her by reputaiton
Persuade her to give me information
SidekickBOT - Today at 11:05 PM
@Günther von Froheim: 2d6+2 = (5+6)+2 = 13 They do what I ask.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Wiseman Blackbriar
( Blood 0 || Mind 1 || Heart 1 || Spirit 0 ) ( []Mortality 2 || [X]Night 0 || [X]Wild 0 || []Power 0 )
Health: [ ] [ ][ ] [ ][ ] || Corruption: [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] Condition: +Curse Disease

What did I just drink!?

I had half a mind to spit what gunk I had out, but it was already too late. I drained a skin of water and hoped to Phineas things wouldn’t get any worse.

Then I saw the big demonic thing that could chew up an entire regiment. Gunther was making small talk with some Big woman while the jester had either left or stayed quiet.

Attempting to Figure the Jester out...

Also marking Night, cause I know where this is going...

Looking back I should’ve kept my mouth shut. Or maybe make small talk with the Jester about the carnival. But those words just had to come out…

“Won’t this… thing kill us all!?”

Phrasing this like “What is he hoping for with the Greater Unchained One?”

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
A conversation between Bart, Nathan and Isaac.

quote:

Bart
"I'm all too aware of the monsters within, Isaac., but they aren't mine to hunt. You overplayed your hand. I have no quarrel with your resistance cell. We spared the little mob back there as best we could. But your head either needs to come back with us or disappear."

Isaac
“And so I will. It suits me just fine to dead in the eyes of the church and Wulfram. I struck my blow when I killed Father Dietrich. Now the people know the church isn’t untouchable. Even in a holy place a monster can strike. It will strengthen the hand of all who fight for freedom.”
“Dietrich was the perfect target. A future theogonist candidate for sure. So well known enough to be missed but not so well known enough to be sufficiently protected.”

Nathan
"By doing what you have done, you have disturbed the peace that rules the night. In order to maintain the balance it was decided that a vampire should be sent to police its own. If we fail, the witch hunters and warrior priests will be set loose upon the city, and they will be much less tolerant of your resistance. Have you any concept the storm you have started in motion?"

Isaac
"Chaos is the nature of change. Would you prefer the status quo if it means that the powers that be rule and the people remain paupers and beggars. Look around you! We have the technology to change this city. If they wanted this city could have what was necessary for the people to live in comfort. But it suits them well to keep them in hovels since any change also has a price, and they are quite comfortable paying no price to stay in their palaces."

Bart
"I just realized your head is worth much more than what I was offered to take it. "

Isaac
"I'm sure they told you nothing about our cause!"

Bart
"Maybe you should find a derilect printing press for your next hideout. More graffiti and less high profile assassinations just to make a point."

Nathan glances to the side ever so slightly, before his eyes settle back on Isaac. The machinations working in his head

Nathan
"Fine. Simply killing you would be an inelegant solution to this situation. So how large is this 'movement' you are apart of?"

Bart catches his gaze and slowly holsters his crossbow.

Bart
“I am curious as well, I was under the assumtion you had gone feral. You have a cause instead. I'm interested in hearing a bit more before I collect the lawman and go."

Isaac's eyes seem to light up as you ask him about the cause

Isaac
"The founder is just an ordinary man. Born into poverty here in Altdorf. But despite his humble background he didn't grow up hating society. He realised that the people in power are the ones blinding the masses. He just wants to open everyone's eyes so that we humans can truly unite! Then perhaps we can show the way to the other races of the world. Won't you join us?"

Bart looked uneasy, stealing a glance at Nathan before answering tactfully.

Bart
"I would not join as I handle supernatural threats as a freelancer. If your group is having trouble along those lines I am not too hard to find. Perhaps your leader could contact me himself?"

He put a hand to his trusted crossbow.

"I am good at slaying troublesome things, and as you have learned tonight very discerning as well."

Nathan moves in a blink to sheath his sword, sliding the last few inches in slowly, deliberately, as he maintains eye contact with the other vampire, taking a neutral tact "

Nathan
“I'll be in touch. Until you hear otherwise, you are dust on the wind."

He turns to look at Bart, listening to his pitch before nodding slightly,

"The hunter is... skilled."

Isaac’s eyes narrow as you try and persuade him to accept you as a trusted confidante, a hunter for his organization.

“You must prove yourself if you are serious about serving the cause. You will not see our leader’s face until you have not only proven your capabilities but also your trustworthiness. Before I disappear I will notify my associates. When you least expect it you will be challenged. When you are challenged, should you succeed you will take the next step. Or you will die.”

With that he sweeps around and steps into the darkness. The dwarf stays his gun trained on you until he suddenly slumps to the ground. No doubt Isaac is now gone.

You pick your way back out of the warehouse. Outside blood is splattered across the cobbles but the mob who had accosted you is gone. Instead you find Hans, he sits against a wall breathing heavily, gripping Bart’s whip.

“Thought you might need this Bart.”

Bart stoops to help him up and with a nod there is an understanding between him and Nathan that he will see to Hans and Nathan will see to Lord Wolfram.

Nathan

Wolfram’s mansion in the Cathedral quarter appears quiet like all the others this late at night. But after ringing the bell and being duly escorted by the hunchbacked butler inside the place is alive with ghouls and other vampires working on the business of the blood dragons. You are led into Wolfram’s private study with little ceremony. Wolfram has little use for ceremony and as soon as you enter he lowers his reading glasses and stops scribbling on a parchment in front of him.

“Well?”

Bart

You lead Hans to the nearest guardhouse which happens to be in the docks. The place is buzzing as much of the skullduggery that keeps the coppers in business happens at night. When people see you helping a bruised Hans in those nearby rush over to take him out of your arms. They are enthused with thanks for you taking your time to see him to someplace safe at this time of night and they bring the first aid kits and whiskey to tend to your wounds and spirits [heal 1 harm]. Obviously Hans is much cared for by these usually rough customers.

After they stop fussing over him like hens they get back to business and you’re left with Hans.

“Bart, I don’t know what you were doing there but I’m glad you snapped me out it. They were inside my head. I was just interested in their little gathering because I’ve heard that group’s growing popularity. Do you know what that bastard wanted?”

Gunther and Wiseman

Gunther recognizes the lady as a well known philanthropist in the city. Lady Grey was it? She was a regular donor to Shalya’s temples and was loved by many of the poor in the city. She seems surprised that you’re actually interested in her research.

“That is what makes this current facility our most successful to date! The key to containing a being of such power was that when we summoned it it was merely a small sentient demonic slime. It’s taken years of feeding and sacrifice to reach its current level of putrescence. The key is that since it has grown under our supervision, although it is of immense power it has no ties within the typical demonic hierarchies. No one cares that we have it enslaved because without us it would be mere mindless chaos scum. To be frank containing it is almost beyond our means. Unless we can use it some success soon I fear we will lose control of it and the whole operation will be a failure. If we could summon a real prince perhaps it could strengthen the bindings. Or the other option is to imbue it with intelligence.”

Suddenly Wiseman blurts out his question. At first she seems offended but then she stares at him with interest.

“You… you have been hunger cursed. I can sense it. But there’s something there. Like an affinity for it. Perhaps it is the gift of Nurgle himself. I think you would make an excellent test subject for imbuing our daemon with intelligence.

You’ve learned that it would take very little to break the magic circles binding the daemon. However Lady Grey has nominated Wiseman as a test subject for giving the thing intelligence. If he will play along you can keep your cover. Otherwise they’re gonna be mighty suspicious.

Apocron fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 8, 2017

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Nathaniel Slayne
Drakkenkeep

Nathan drops to one knee with a practiced sweep of his cloak, resting his right hand on the ground, waiting to be addressed before speaking. He keeps his head bowed, not looking up as he gives his report.

"Master Wolfram. What we thought was a snake has turned out to be a hydra. The rogue vampire Isaac is not acting alone. He claims to be part of a rabble movement which seeks to upend the control of clergy and noble over the peasants of this land. His minions were not simply mind controlled - they seemed to be acting with a united will, as though they were not all resisting his influence. The speed and strength of that unity caught my assault by surprise, and the combat ended in stalemate. Isaac still walks, for now, because his statements at the end of the battle was not the bluster of a man attempting to bluff his way through danger. From the manner in which he spoke, I suspect that there is a Chaos demagogue in Altdorf attempting to kindle the flames of civil war. If that is true, then the daemon-worshipers have broken the Nachtfrieden and attempted to drag our clans into it. If it is not true, then there is a mortal demagogue attempting to burn the world down in favor of their ideals, which is just as dangerous. I request permission to investigate this threat, that we may find the true source of these weeds before it becomes a wider problem."

He looks up for the first time, eyes glinting in the moonlight, "Has my judgement ever failed you before?"

Rolling to Persuade Wolfram to allow me to investigate this further. Cashing in a Debt for +3 to the roll with that last line.

@Nathan Slayne: 2d6 + 4 = (3+5)+4 = 12

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Bart Temple
Riverside Guardhouse

Bart knew he could trust Hans, they had shared information before and it usually helped them both. This time didn’t seem any different. "Isaac the Vampire is a fanatic idealist revolutionary. He wants to overthrow government and Church alike. Normally not my business." He sipped his whisky, savoring the drink. "He drained that priest. A relatively benign Blood Organization offered me the contract. I had assumed he went feral. Common enough story, they go to the Church because the hunger is getting too much, priest can't help them, they drain the priest. But no, he leads a resistance cell. Ended up with a blunderbuss in my face and he made a speech and got away."

"He also rather curiously mentioned sowing chaos. I'm concerned this resistance cell is not an isolated problem. Have there been any other events lately? Stranger things than the usual?"

Hans did not seem to have anything, he was looking into the group himself. Bart bid him well and went to the Cathedral. He wasn’t a devotee of Sigmar, exactly, nor did they offer contracts to outside work. Still, he had an old friend from his days as an urchin there and it was a good excuse to catch up.

Diana, Priestess of Sigmar.

Cathedral of Sigmar

He sat down in a pew during the morning devotional prayers. Some gave him dirty looks, others ignored him entirely. It wasn’t long after they finished that Diana sat next to him. He smiled at her, a rarity for his usually reserved and grim nature. “Sister Diana!” They chatted idly for a bit before he got to business. “I had a run-in with the Ohms lately. One of them, perhaps a Lieutenant of some kind, was the vampire that drained that priest of yours. He got away since I went in thinking he was feral instead of a fanatic with cell members laying in wait. He made a speech that mentioned chaos.” He made sure to catch her eye. “You and I both know there is chaos and there is Chaos. Neither is good. I have a friend in the guard I can tip off if it is just rebel business. But if it’s actual Chaos then I might have some business of my own.” He let that hang there. “Have you heard anything?”

Asking Diana for intel about the Ohms. Hitting the Streets.
@Bart Temple: 2d6 = (6+4) = 10

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Günther von Froheim
Corrupted Asylum

"Hah, well, halflings do have a reputation for a good meal. Praise Grandfather Nurgle then." I say with a smile, even as my mind races. Endless hunger. Not really Nurgle's usual wheelhouse. Seems more befitting for The Prince, even if it's not quite my Patroness' area. Still, to get that recipe.

As she makes the next suggestion, my first feeling is worry. This might be hard to talk myself out of. The second thought senses opportunity, particularly combined with the Hunger poor Wiseman is cursed with. And the third thought is one of guilt. I might well destroy the man, body, mind and soul ding this, but it's for the greater good, the good of my patroness, and he might well survive. Perhaps better odds than anything else.

"I think I would like to see that. I'm sure a lot more could be done with a demon that has an actual mind, especially one so biddable as my friend here, if a bit curuious." He turns to look at Lady Grey. "Though, if we are to do that, I'd like a bit of time to talk to him. The two of us go back a bit, and , well, let's be honest, this is the kind of thing that might have Grandfather Nurgle take him in his final embrace."

"There is the possibility. But I'm sure Grandfather Nurgle would welcome him with all his warmth if he could perform this. We would be very grateful, small brother." She said to Wiseman. "Come, we'll get things ready. We'll bring you to an office where you can make your own preparations."

Shortly after, we were in a small office that smelled of old parchment mixed with pus and poo poo. This was where the Shallyans did their paperwork. The Nurglites had gone through it rapidly, but didn't seem to be too interested. I briefly made a hush sign, listening for anyone at the door, the nspoke. "Alright, Wiseman. I have a plan that might destroy that demon. But, I'm not going to lie, you are going to take a lion share of danger here. There are... some tricks that I know that would allow me to use that point where the demon would open its mind to you to utterly destroy it. However, it would require me to... perform a rite on you that is... dangerous, beyond your close up contact with a demon of Nurgle. It will be painful both in body and mind, and I'll be honest, it's not something you'll be able to really tell everyone about. But we'd take out a great threat to the people of the Empire, and I promise I will help you with whatever consequences result from it."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
[quote="professor_curly" post="478959601"]
Nathaniel Slayne
Drakkenkeep

The elder vampire stares at Nathan for a moment that seemed to stretch with tension between them, before he waves a hand to give assent to continue.

"I will seek out this resistance movement and its leader. If it is a daemon worshiping wildling then I shall destroy it. If it is a mortal, I shall entrap it into our service until such a time that final judgement is rendered. I will start with the church itself. The Witch Hunters would seem very interested in either a cult or a seditious peasant. I will go under the banner of preserving the Nachtfrieden. For now I will tell them that Isaac has been dealt with, but that there is a larger threat looming and see if they have heard anything. If it pleases you?"

Master Wulfram nods and makes a dismissive gesture, "As you will. Don't come back empty handed this time."

Nathan nods and then stands, giving one final bow before turning toward the door and heading for the exit. As he goes, Wulfram says "If you fail, then it will be your existence which is forfeit. I will end you."

Without thinking, without hesitating or breaking stride Nathan responds, "It wouldn't be the first time."

He makes it to the door before hesitating a moment, turning slightly with a bow of his head, "That was impertinent. Forgive me."

Then Nathan slips out to track down a few old contacts of is own...

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Gunther and Wiseman

A quiet padded room in the Shallya's asylum posted:

Günther von Froheim
"Alright, Wiseman. I have a plan that might destroy that demon. But, I'm not going to lie, you are going to take a lion share of danger here. There are... some tricks that I know that would allow me to use that point where the demon would open its mind to you to utterly destroy it. However, it would require me to... perform a rite on you that is... dangerous, beyond your close up contact with a demon of Nurgle. It will be painful both in body and mind, and I'll be honest, it's not something you'll be able to really tell everyone about. But we'd take out a great threat to the people of the Empire, and I promise I will help you with whatever consequences result from it."

Wiseman Blackbriar
".... Fine. But if I die, I'll be haunting your nightmares."

Günther grins.

"Eminently fair. I'll try to make the mark on your back. That way, it'remains rather invisible. But best not to go shirtless in polite company. Well, moreso than usual." If you could remove your shirt, find something to bite on while I find a knife. Because I'm afraid this will hurt."

Wiseman does so and finds a piece of wood to stick in his mouth. The human finds a knife, and puts a hand on Wiseman, trying to secure him, to make sure his reactions would not ruin the work he set out to do. He took a deep breath and focused, letting his mind wander... beyond. Relishing the wind of chaos carressing his skin. It was horrifying, yet always a little bit tempting to just lose oneself there. Though less so here, where Nurgle's taint was there. But one like Günther was always under the attention of SOME of the Prince's daemons. Not the greatest and powerful ones, small one and bottom feeders. Much like the one outside had been. Günther tried to will them not to tear the halfling's soul to shreds. Fortunately halflings resistance to the forces of Chaos might buy him some time. Because demons were not used to being denied their pleasure. They'd only sit waiting inside of him for so long before they shredded him to pieces rather than the Nurglite demon.

Once Günther was satisfied that plenty of the disembodied, invisible creatures were there, eager to go into the hunger wracked body, and more eager to tear a Nurglite demons to shreds and feed on the power, did he bring down the knife, and pierced skin. Wiseman gives out a yelp, but stays relatively quiet.

And with that Günther sets to the business of art. Whatever moral quandries has, they are lost in the focus of making this as beautiful as he can, given the circumstance. Partly because his power was given to him by the Patroness, and unlike some other Slaaneshi demons, she would not see any approval of a Slaaneshi sigil crudely carved in the throes of pain, ecstacy or yearning. No, she demanded a striving for perfection. And Günther, for all the morality his tainted soul might have, cared deeply for such things as well.

And so, for some time, he barely registered Wiseman as anything more than a living canvas, upon which he intricately as he could carved a sigil, a circle wth a line sticking out to the upper right, with a crescent moon shape, opening away from the circle at the end, and halfway between the end and the circle another crescent moon with the opening towards the circle. He carefully wiped away blood as he slowly and meticulously carved line after line. The pain, ignored by Günther, likely hleped the rituatl though, as the Slaaneshi demons were far less picky than the Patroness when it came to the sensations to celebrate.

Finally it was done.

The operation was a success in obtaining its objective but a failure if you considered finesse and delicacy. As Gunther exits his trance he sees what a moment before been a beautiful masterpiece morph into a baleful sigil. Wiseman's skin seems to fray at the edges but is cauterised by the power of chaos. The sigil pulses with power and Gunther can tell that he has managed to bind many small chaos imps of Slaneesh within Wiseman's spirit.

Wiseman feels his senses white out with pain. Fortunately he is no stranger to pain and so he manages to keep himself conscious. Just as well because the imps conjured by Gunther feel like boiling hot drops of oil splashing into the water of his soul. But when the surgery is finished he can tell that although their presence is uncomfortable it does not threaten to overcome him. In fact, the hunger that had been instilled in him by the Nurgle potion seems to be contained. Before he can put a voice to his feelings both he and Gunther are aware that they are not alone.

In the corner of the room is a being who radiates ravenous hunger. It squats in the corner. But at 4 meters in height its stalky arms resting on pointed knees pierce out into the room. It seems to pay no attention to the two of you but instead curious looks this way and that, as if the walls themselves were no barrier to its vision.

“What a wonderful warren.”

Its voice is a sing song pitch that pulls your attention leaving you waiting for each next word.

“I see, I see. You hide the imps inside the halfling. Then they put the pups inside the putrid pumpernickel.”

Suddenly its eyes lock on you.

“But what will you pay?”

Seems like it wants you to pay some kind of offering for the services of its underlings. What will you offer?

Bart

Diona ‘s eyes widen as you mention the Ohm’s.

“We truly are losing the hearts of the faithful.”

She buries her head in her hands and takes a moment to compose herself. When she looks back up at you her eyes are heavy with feeling.

“Our current Grand Theogonist is… unpopular. He has been more focused on matters of doctrine than of hearts and minds. While he maneuvers to try and squeeze out the influence of the followers of Ulric and Shalya the Ohm’s have arisen. It’s unlike any movement I’ve seen before they don’t seem to follow any higher power. They are focused almost completely upon the betterment of mankind. It seems like a kind of madness to me. They refuse divine aid and isolate themselves from others. It doesn’t strike me as a typical chaos cult or else I think the Witch Hunters would be more excited about hunting them down. If anything it strikes me as dwarven in its almost atheistic attitude but there are no ancestors to worship. What or who they worship I don’t know. I do know that they gather at midnight. There is a cell in the church that monitoring them and we have at least one informant in their organization. According to their report they will meet at midnight during the next half moon in the imperial zoo. Sigmar help us.”

It seems as if she is a bit relieved at letting off some steam about the Grand Theogonist.

“It’s funny that you’re interested in this Bart. You never showed much interest in religious matters before. Maybe you’re finally softening to the call of Sigmar on your life? I see you are wounded. Maybe I could pray for you?”

Nathan

Didn't realise you were gonna flesh out the consequences of your roll as I kinda need a roll to work up a situation for you to react to.

In any case Wulfram is impressed with the case you made. He interrupts you to offer some of his personal resources to form a special task force to handle this situation. He’ll be expecting it back with interest though.

You can choose one:
A small unit of trained human mercenaries. (Small group 2-harm 1-armour)
One of Wulfram’s magic items.
A monstrous bat he keeps as a pet.
Or you can make a special requisition for some other resource you consider

Apocron fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 8, 2017

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Günther von Froheim
Corrupted Asylum

It... worked, in a sense. But perhaps to think he could create something artful in a place like this was naive. What was more concerning was the demon appearing. And Günther was not in a position to act like a good faithful imperial citizen being shocked by its nature. Very well. Deal with things as they come. Wiseman should realize this was to stop an actual evil, and the two of them were somewhat tied together, considering with that sigil, he would be in serious trouble if he went to the witch hunters with this. But he could find a way to repay this one without angering his Patroness and without sinking too deep into depravity.

"A feast." he answered. "We will return to Altdorf, and I will start organizing a great feast. Food will be piled high, ale and wine will flow freely. The masses of Altdorf will be presented with foods in qualities and quantities they would normally never see."

And if he could get some of the fancy nobles in Altdorf on board, there'd be cooks that could turn this into some fine craft, cooking could be an art, could it not? And Wiseman woud realize that Günther was nothing like these... callous Nurglites.

"The folk feast for fun frequently. My succor is succulent suffering. You, the people, the patroness. Someone must feel the pain of a feast to me." The demon answered "Pain marrying pleasure pleases me."

No dice. It never went that way with these deals. He should have checked. He should have made sure to check the price before buying. If he didn't make a deal, the demon could do some pretty terrible things to Wiseman.

"I'll... I'll find six people, in good health in Altdorf. I'll lock them in my estate, where they will starve and thirst, as others eat there. Payment to you."

The demon looked at him, and his grin terrible and awe-isnpiring made Günther's stomach turn.

"Six. But not just any six. Six of your own staff. Six people who trust you. Of the people that keep you looking so... elegant."

I hesitate, I doubt, like a snake my mind tries to find a way out of the trap I set for myself. Promise it and renege on it, is of course an option, but there are likely even more terrible prices to pay there. But right now, right here, I am out of ideas. "I accept." I croak out, and it sounds like a death rattle.

I will save thousands with this. How many innocents has the Empire slain for far less good? What are six in the greater scheme of things?

I'm a good liar, but there's limits to how good I can lie to myself.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 14, 2017

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Bart Temple - Sigmar Cathedral

Bart grimaced a bit. In part because she reminded him of his wounds but mostly because they were about to have the discussion about having a come to Sigmar moment.
"You know I won't fit in. Too violent for Shallya and I cant stand to be subordinate to - " he hushed his tone and made sure no-one else was close "pompous asses who care more about prestige and influence than putting the boot to chaos and the night-kin who won't play nice. I have my regard for Sigmar, you know that. I would accept your prayers on my behalf gladly."

“The Church is more than the sum of its worst parts but I understand. I trust that Sigmar watches over his faithful and will see us through this period.”
seeing that you are open to being prayed for she reaches over and recites a litany honoring Sigmar’s care even for the weakest in faith (herself amongst them). You feel a warmth suffuse you as your wounds miraculously knit themselves together leaving you whole

Bart held his tongue and adopted his approximation of a reverent pose while she recited the litany. There was no denying the Church had Power. "Thank you for that. I wonder if there are others who share your concerns. This political agenda can't be satisfying those with true hearts."

"Let me show you." She walks you through the Cathedral. At first she leads you to the private naves. Guards watch who enters and leaves but with her escort you are nodded through. Inside you see nobles in their finery offering private gifts to Sigmar while Priests whisper blessings and gossip in their ears. Next she takes you to common pews at the back of the main hall. You see the poor crying out to Sigmar, tears and candles dedicated to begging for his intercession.
"I wish to help these people but the Grand Theogonist has bigger fish to fry. There will soon be a congress to elect a new emperor and he is doing all he can to lobby the aristocracy to choose his candidate and so he needs to focus on quelling the factions in the church."

Bart looked at them for a time before turning to Diona “What do they Pray for?” [What are they hoping to get from Praying to Sigmar?] I feel…” He paused, fighting with his own self-interest, “I feel moved to to help them. What could I do?” [How could I get these people in my debt?]

Lost on my third question for now, I know they get to ask one of me too.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Nathaniel Slayne
Drakkenkeep

The younger vampire bows and asks to take the Liar's Tongue, a necromantic artifact that writhes in the presence of lies. It would be sure to help him in the next phase of the investigation. The top priority would be to make sure these "Ohms" aren't a front for one of the Chaos factions in the city. If it is rabble rousing other rabble, that is one thing. If the wildings were the ones attempting to stir up the rabble, that would be something else entirely. Idly, Nathan wonders if the Vampire Clans of Altdorf would be enough to wage an open war against the secretive cultists. An unimportant question, in the end.

Still, Nathan heads into the darker portions of the city, attempting to find one of the Chaos cults in the city to start asking hard questions...

@Nathan Slayne: 2d6 = (1+4) = 5
Or Maybe Not

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Wiseman Blackbriar
( Blood 0 || Mind 1 || Heart 1 || Spirit 0 ) ( []Mortality 2 || [X]Night 0 || [X]Wild 0 || []Power 0 )
Health: [ ] [ ][ ] [ ][ ] || Corruption: [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] Condition: +Curse Disease

I say to myself that this was going to keep me out of trouble. It was hard to keep saying that as Gunther did his work. Each cut into my back felt like it burned, even after the work was finished. I can’t believe that we’re actually doing this and that somehow, this will lead to killing these Chaos worshippers. I rack my brain to figure out what angle Gunther was playing…

Rolling to Figure Out Gunther:

/r 2d6+1 #figureGuntherOut
SidekickBOT-Today at 3:31 PM
@Wiseman Blackbriar: 2d6+1 figureGuntherOut = (6+6)+1 = 13

I'll try, "What does Gunther seek to gain from this?"

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Bart Temple - Sigmar Cathedral

Diana frown furrows as she wrestles with your question about prayer.

"It's hard to put a label on what the people seek from Sigmar."

She gestures with her left hand.

"On the one hand people ask for help in their day to day stuggles. A child with an illness, a co-worker who frustrates them, or even just for the bread they need to survive."

She gestures with her right hand.

"On the other hand they worry for their immortal souls. The powers of evil are real and with the wars we've seen with monsters, the cults that steal people to sacrifice to their dark gods, the walking dead who even have a province within the empire itself, people need hope in something that wants to look after them. The emperor who brought us all together and will one day return to create an equal and blessed empire is that hope."

She brings her hands together in prayer.

"So I suppose that they pray in hope that the emperor will do something. Either helping with their personal problems or by fixing the empire itself. Sigmar knows that I don't continue in the church because it's perfect. But I do believe he does work through it.

But speaking of working.If you want to help you can do it more directly. Perhaps Sigmar even brought you hear today because of the work. Recently prices in the markets have increased because of something harassing the caravans as they pass by the nearby woods. The parishoners have asked me for help but the soldiers of the church are caught up in politics of the church, much as the army are caught up in the politics of the empire. Perhaps you could find whatever is preying on the caravans? I know the merchants would reward you and should prices return the ordinary people would be much obliged.

What do you do?

Nathaniel Slayne - Slums

The easiest way to dig out chaos was to head into the darkness and dirt of the slums. Not because the people there were any more inclined toward chaos, just that the machinations of the cults did little to bother the average watchman if the neighborhood wasn't well-heeled enough to make it worth their while. Someone dressed in even normal clothes that weren't dirty or in ill repair couldn't help but stand out but Nathaniel was on a mission to break the grip of chaos on the city to free up the blood dragons to cement their own hold on the city.

Eventually he finds a derelict building that even the local beggars seem to take wide birth when passing. Striding in he finds bodies strewn around barely breathing. Obviously strung out on some kind of illicit substance. But in the middle sits a finely carved chair and sitting in it as a mammoth of a man. In front, behind, around him prances a halfling who coos and gibbers. Somersaulting and tumbling.

Occasionally the man gives out a low belching laugh. The hairs on the back of your neck tingle as you become aware, it seems that the bodies that were strewn around were not arranged at random. You are caught in some kind of magic circle.

What do you do?

Wiseman and Gunther - The Insane Asylum

((Assuming a period of time where Wiseman gets the answers to his question))

The purple abomination nods acquiesence to your proposal.

"Oh I do delight in giving the Patroness's toys a twiddle. Have your imps and blast this nurgelian filth hole into hunks."

The thing implodes into purple smoke and is gone in a moment. With your preparations complete the guards eventually collect you and take you to the courtyard. Lady Grey awaits with a strange metalic cap that is ajoined with wires that lead to the circle.

"Wear this and our work will be complete. We will possess the most powerful demon near Altdorf and unleash a plague that will scourge the whole world."

Wiseman manages to keep a straight face as he walks forward and dons the cap. Lady Grey begins chanting and the air throbs with power as it seems to reach a crescendo suddenly Wiseman's body convulses. A purple shock erupts from his crown and the bolt flashes along the wires into the circle and enfuses the Greater Unclean One. There is a pregnant pause.

The Unclean One explodes outward birthing hundreds of gnashing purple imps armed with knives.

They begin stabbing every part of the unclean one that wasn't blown to pieces. Knifing the slaves with the buckets. Knifing the guards and warriors. Everyone except you two, lady Grey and the jester who all stand stunned.

What do you do?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

[quote="Shogeton" post="479179607"]
Günther von Froheim
Corrupted Asylum

Güntehr's face was mixed. He really, really wanted to stop that demon, but when 'The Patroness' was mentioned, there was a desperation there. The usually suave and collected noble looking suspiciously like a rat frantically looking for an exit.

Güntehr wants to save people, but he also wants to work off his debt.

After that, mercifully, things go according to plan. Thought about what he had sworn to do can vanish, as he waits with tension as the ritual progresses. If this didn't work, if she found out. They were all dead, or worse.

It does work. It doesn't get found out. The work of the Nurglite constructs bursts apart in hunderds of ravenous imps. He saved Altdorf. Perhaps even the Imperium, and weakened Nurgle and provided a service to his Patroness. Now, all to do was to make sure he got out alive. And the first thing to do was to shed some blood. He hoped that he could do this without asking Her help. That simple steel would suffice. He had other options but... that might put him further in debt. He looks around, as if stunned himself, moving closer to Lady Grey. "What's happening?" He said.

And while she might be busy formulating an answer, he thrust out his blade at her.

@Günther von Froheim: 2d6+1 = (4+1)+1 = 6

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Nathaniel Slayne
The Shadow King's Court?

"Harken to me, cursling. What is your purpose here, and whom do you serve?"

quote:

The mammoths neck lolls to your direction. "Who would enter my court so rudely and speak before being granted audience." He raises a hand and you feel the tension begin to heighten to an almost unbearable level.

Nathan puts on a brave face and casually rests his hand on his sword, affecting a false sense of etiquette to hide the realization that this creature was more powerful than he had anticipated.

@Nathan Slayne(Keep your cool): 2d6+3 = (3+2)+3 = 8

He gives a dramatic bow, speaking with the easy contempt of a Vampire Lord unconcerned with the petty magics of a sorcerer, attempting to hide his concerns underneath the cool mask of undeath.

"Forgive my impertinence, I was merely unsure that I had found the correct place. You must understand matters of great import have been afoot in the city, and it has fallen to me to ascertain the truth of the matter before the living start having one of their fits."

Nathan begins to circle the man casually, walking along the leylines of power as he gets to the matter at hand, "You see a human priest of Sigmar was recently attacked in a very brutal and most obviously vampiric fashion by having all the blood drained from his body. Now of course the offending vampire had to be put down, which is how I spent the sunset hours of this most beautiful night. However to my surprise instead of finding a feral beast, little more than an animal devoid of its senses, I found a lucid madman who during his rant invoked chaos as one of his motivations. Now of course it is well known that the Undead and Chaos are no friends, and I have never heard of such a union before... But then it occured to me that there is always a first time. Then I thought that a vampire killing a priest of Sigmar, starting a war between the living and dead... Well it just had all makings of a plot by one of your Way-Changers. So I have come to ask directly - is this a plot by the forces of Chaos, or merely the ravings of a madman?"

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Bart Temple - The Monk’s Hood

He slammed down yet another pint. “So we get to the vampire and he’s not feral, he’s ranting and raving about the oppressors this and sowing chaos that. Got a blunderbuss in my face and I have to talk my way out of it. He made a vague threat and split.” He motioned to Stephen that he wanted another one. “I brought the guard back to his shack and then went to see if Diana knew anything about the Ohms.” He put a hand on Rocco’s shoulder for a moment. “Remember Diana? She went into the clergy the same time I got into the gang. Anyways I got a bit from her but somehow I managed to talk myself into hunting down a monster whats going after the caravans.” He took his mug from Stephen and motioned wide with it.

“I gotta go all the way around some Wolf territory and dodge a group of Feys but I get down there. They’ll let me go along with a Caravan, see if it gets hit. ‘No problem!’ They say.” He takes a swig from his new tankard. “I tell you, when they are scared out of their wits that is one thing. When they are putting on a nice fake smile and promise the moon you know the job is going to be a shitshow.” He stared into his drink. “But I promised Diana I’m going to do it so I’m heading out after whatever the damned thing is anyway.”

Bart finished his drink quietly, finally content with his inebriation. “So you you guys know anything on the Ohms? They making inroads on the gangs? Or has anything extra shady been going on? Can’t be too careful with Chaos, man. The poo poo I’ve seen…”

I’m going to get drunk at the pub and talk to Stephen and Rocco to see if they know anything. There was a failed roll in there as well but aside from GM hints it is going to be a real nightmare monster I was never sure how it resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Wiseman Blackbriar
Health: [ ] [ ][ ] [ ][ ] || Corruption: [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] Condition: +Slaaneshi Tattoo

If nothing else I had a front-row seat to the ritual going pear-shaped. I had to think quickly; it’s only going to be a matter of time before they figure it out. I thought of making a run for it; being so small meant that I’d disappear under their noses. Then I see that Gunther tip his hand and try to kill the lady who appears to be in charge. So much for secrecy…

I thought it over in a few seconds before making an attempt of my own. She appeared to be distracted by Gunther’s attack…

Attempting a roll to help Gunther with Faction;
/roll 2d6+2 #helpGuntherOut
@Wiseman Blackbriar: 2d6+2 helpGuntherOut = (4+5)+2 = 11

• Locked thread