Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Did they say that low control provinces provide less to the market? I missed that. It would be strange, since high autonomy provinces in eu4 still provide full trade value to the trade node

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Frionnel posted:

I think it's more that the locals would still be buying food, importing/exporting goods, moving the economy in some way that affects the market. In this case it seems they don't.

I fully concede that this doesn't matter much and i'll roll with it when playing the game.
Who are these locals? 80-90% of people were farmers or support functions, neither of which would need much interaction with the broader economy to function. Probably even higher percentages in a lot of low-control locations. And it's not like 50% (or 13% or whatever low number you can tumble down it) is no interaction at all, it just means trade is happening more locally.

cheetah7071 posted:

Well, more like the local leaders soaked up the wealth rather than kicking any upstream. The peasants likely aren't seeing any of it either way
If control decreases the estates' ability to extract wealth, then it is the peasants keeping the wealth. Which is historically appropriate AFAIK.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doesn't ck3 have province Control? IIRC you increased it by sending your marshal there to, idk, be severe with the locals

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

this dev diary in particular is definitely pulling hard from MEIOU where estate and crown control values are very key to how the economy works and every province has an RGO. eu5 feels like it's going to be the sane version of MEIOU and honestly i'm hyped for it. folks can always go back and play eu4 if they're wanting the traditional board game experience, i think it's pretty smart of johan to recognize that eu4 is basically as far as the traditional EU design can go

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Private Speech posted:

By far the most upsetting thing about EU4 is that Anbennar might never get its last continent, which really sucks.

e: Err EU5 not 4.

Why would EU5 stop Anbennar from getting the last continent (Insyaa)? Assuming EU5 is even released before Insyaa (bear in mind it's not even officially announced yet) I don't see why everyone working on Anbennar would just immediately drop it after the immense amount of work that's already gone into it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It might not, but at least with CK2 and EU3 a lot of the mods died when the transitions happened, or at least took a long time to transfer to the new game.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I mean considering the amount of active development Anbennar has, and that they're making CK3 and Vicky 3 mods, that the EU5 mod is a matter of when not if

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Hellioning posted:

I enjoy how little Johann cares about hiding this is EU5.

It's really refreshing, he gets to be super open about everything, get feedback and at the same time can soft announce the game without pissing management off

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Anbennar will definitely make it to EU5. I think some modders got early access to CK3, Anbennar would be ideal for that.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Who are these locals? 80-90% of people were farmers or support functions, neither of which would need much interaction with the broader economy to function. Probably even higher percentages in a lot of low-control locations. And it's not like 50% (or 13% or whatever low number you can tumble down it) is no interaction at all, it just means trade is happening more locally.

In this case i was thinking of local nobles, high clergy and burghers who would still have luxury needs but i'm definitely thinking about this too hard so i'll drop it.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 18, 2024

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I hope EU5 will ship with the We have Casus Belli as an option.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I doubt EU5 is coming out before the second half of 2025, so the Anbennar team has some time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah my complete guess is that they're aiming for a Q3 2025 release window.

Which is a shame because I really want to play it sooner than that.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 18, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If control decreases the estates' ability to extract wealth, then it is the peasants keeping the wealth. Which is historically appropriate AFAIK.
But there is a peasant estate. Which I guess doesnt mean the peasants wouldnt just keep the wealth but still seems a little weird to me, I guess.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

But there is a peasant estate. Which I guess doesnt mean the peasants wouldnt just keep the wealth but still seems a little weird to me, I guess.

The peasants's tenants are keeping the wealth. Not sure how much sense this makes from an anglophone perspective, but in Sweden peasants (allmoge) were often landlords. If you rented land and farmed it, you were... let me check Google translate... a torpare.

e: The peasants were also one of the estates in Sweden, in addition to the three French estates (i.e. nobility, clergy, burghers).

Staltran fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 18, 2024

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Edit: I keep thinking commoners and burghers are a single estate in the game but they are separate.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 18, 2024

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Tinto Talks #9, this time covering the usage of resources.

Last time I thought it seemed like a simplified version of Victoria, here it feels like its piling the complexity back on. Goods are required for construction, inputs are required for the building to continue functioning (including when it has abstract outputs, like a castle ZoC), different production methods can use different combinations of goods more efficiently or cheaper, units requires specific goods for their construction.

There's a lot going on, and I'm not sure if the extra internal management is welcome or if it'll add too much micromanagement.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sybot posted:

Last time I thought it seemed like a simplified version of Victoria, here it feels like its piling the complexity back on. Goods are required for construction, inputs are required for the building to continue functioning (including when it has abstract outputs, like a castle ZoC), different production methods can use different combinations of goods more efficiently or cheaper, units requires specific goods for their construction.

There's a lot going on, and I'm not sure if the extra internal management is welcome or if it'll add too much micromanagement.
Yeah no thanks, I'll keep playing EU4.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Hell yeah bring on the fiddly resource management.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
I am all for fiddly things to mess around with. I just hope that the game doesn't end up running like sludge. Vicky 3 is fun but the end game performance on my computer just makes it a slog to get through.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Don't know if EU5's going to be any good or not, but it looks like they're definitely going to avoid the feeling that it's just EU4 with a fresh coat of paint.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Sybot posted:

I love that this has nothing to do with meiou and taxes at all

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Don't know if EU5's going to be any good or not, but it looks like they're definitely going to avoid the feeling that it's just EU4 with a fresh coat of paint.
The issue is going to be that some people, like me, would like EU5 to be EU4 with a fresh coat of paint. Fix trade, make war more interesting and realistic, but keep the rest (mostly) as is and I would be loving ecstatic. So far it feels like EU5 project caesar is going a whole new direction that does not exactly get me excited. The map looks cool and I think I like the idea of estates being more closely tied with how the game plays but otherwise I'm pretty "eehhhh, we'll see..." about the rest of the info we got.

edit: other things like having Professionalism and Army Tradition make a bit more sense, get rid of innovativeness or tie it in with more mechanics and change the name, colonization could use work, ect

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Has there been any information on release dates? They are releasing the final EU4 dlc next month right?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sybot posted:

Looks a lot like the production system in Against the Storm, where most recipes have different ingredients that you can switch between depending on what you have available, and different buildings have different efficiency for those recipes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It seems like a very strange system to have in an EU game. This is a series that has always deemphasized domestic management by abstracting away the nitty gritty. But now it seems like they're diving head-first into vicky-style resource management, complete with pop employment, dynamic goods prices, and building incomes. The part that makes me most nervous about this is how it might detract from the warfare. If the game world is gonna be so much bigger and if wars are gonna be even more complex than in EU4, then I don't want to have to constantly look away from that to check in on my domestic economy or whatever. I can already get tunnel vision easily and lose track of everything else when fighting a tricky war in EU4.

I dunno, this is the first dev diary where I'm genuinely apprehensive about the mechanics described. Hopefully it turns out well.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 24, 2024

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It seems like one of these dev diaries where it's hard to tell how it's going to feel in practice until we see or get some actual gameplay.

Ideally it would slot into a nice rhythm alongside conquest. You look at your goods shortages, you see what land would address these shortages, you conquer, and then after the war you spend the downtime slotting the new land into your economy before the next conquest. Instead of having to manage it all at the same time.

Or a new technology impacts your economy, you take some peacetime to adjust all your production chains, and see how this translates into new military opportunities.

I'm more worried about trade tbh, as the Imperator solution of having a billion identical trade deal offers with different tiny tags, or automating the whole thing and ignoring it, isn't really satisfying imo. But I'm not sure what a good solution would be. Maybe just a clean enough UI to clearly signpost which goods you have a tiny shortage of that you can handle via automatic trades, and which goods are worth like, invading France to secure a regular supply of.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Conceptually, I like the idea of needing resources, not just money, to make your state function. Like, access to good lumber for ships should be pretty important for any state that wants to build a significant navy.

That said, this does sound like it could be a bit too micro heavy for my tastes, though only time will tell. Hoping it will be possible to sorta auto-pilot some of that poo poo, even if you're not being super optimal, so you can scale how much attention you pay to it depending on your preferred style of play/the size of your country.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I think one problem is that even if it's fun on its own the AI is going to be completely unable to handle it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
in the comments in the thread, Johan said the intent is that you get like 90-95% of the possible value out of your provinces by just building the buildings with the biggest green number and setting production methods to automatic. The complexity, presumably, exists for people who want to play tall and eke out every possible scrap of wealth from their provinces, as well as to dynamically push different countries to want to play in different ways. If the system works as they intend (big if), it'll be less fiddly micromanagement and more that you get a popup saying "you're short on lumber" and then you go figure out a way to get it, whether by diplomacy, conquest, or colonization.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

gurragadon posted:

Has there been any information on release dates? They are releasing the final EU4 dlc next month right?

Nope, and the rationale for not officially calling it EU5 yet is explicitly so that there could be a longer period between the announcement and release so I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. Unless I missed something they haven't said the next EU4 expansion is the last one either.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the main reason to think this is the last EU4 dlc is that it spruces up basically every country people have been clamoring for, without holding any back for next time

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
There's a good chance it's the last major expansion but I bet there will still be smaller content packs and patches for a while afterwards. I would be surprised if support for EU4 ends anytime soon.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Red Bones posted:

But I'm not sure what a good solution would be. Maybe just a clean enough UI to clearly signpost which goods you have a tiny shortage of that you can handle via automatic trades, and which goods are worth like, invading France to secure a regular supply of.

:yeah:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Red Bones posted:

But I'm not sure what a good solution would be. Maybe just a clean enough UI to clearly signpost which goods you have a tiny shortage of that you can handle via automatic trades, and which goods are worth like, invading France to secure a regular supply of.
Since there's no mana, they can move goods up into the main bar alongside ducats.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Since there's no mana, they can move goods up into the main bar alongside ducats.

It sounds like there will be a lot more than three goods. My guess is maybe something you mouse over to get a tooltip with a list, and alerts when you’re running low on something

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They said 70-something goods. Presumably some of them are luxuries rather than strategically important, though. You aren't building a fortress out of spice.

Johan I think explicitly said somewhere that there'll be a notification if you're low on the inputs to your buildings

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

They said 70-something goods. Presumably some of them are luxuries rather than strategically important, though. You aren't building a fortress out of spice.

Johan I think explicitly said somewhere that there'll be a notification if you're low on the inputs to your buildings
Yeah, I meant moving the strategic goods unto the bar.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

It sounds ace, y'all crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

1. Give us stuff to do that's not just warring/blobbing.
2. Not like that!

I definitely can see how some of this stuff could end up being tedious, but I'm going to hope it's fun, and if it's not I'll just play something else I guess. Maybe even EU4.