Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So I just found out that UK keyboards have an extra key to and a couple of extra symbols, as well as having some things in different locations, and it made me think about all the different keyboard layouts you used to see back before they became mostly standardised. So I thought it might be fun to talk about some of them.

Here's a UK keyboard I found a picture of:

I don't even know what those extra symbols on the key just left of the 1/! are. But the quotation mark on the two reminds me of the Apple II keyboard:

I like that it's got a division sign key, because it's actually a slash key. Exactly the same as pressing the slash/question mark key. Also that the apostrophe requires you to hold shift, because that's not at all inconvenient.

So what other keyboard layouts have you seen/used. What's good, bad or interesting about them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I've been using the Colemak layout for around 6 years now.

It's awesome because a lot of the keys are still similar to QWERTY, especially most of the common ctrl+key shortcuts. But the keys are rearranged in a way that allows your wrists to twist a lot less and common letters to comfortably alternate fingers and hands so it flows a lot better to type. It's really ergonomic! For example, like having the semicolon being on the homerow keys for some insane reason and the P key being in an uncomfortable spot for your right pinky finger, the semicolon takes P's place and the O key now resides where the semicolon used to be.

There are two features I tend to use a lot that other layouts don't normally have. One is that one of the Alt keys has been replaced with the AltGr key, which allows you to type special characters like áéóñ, and Shift+AltGr can take things even further like ¹²³£¥ĦÐÞ. Another weird feature about it, at least when this layout was first announced, was that the Caps Lock key was converted to another Backspace key, which I felt was really useful since I don't have to drastically move my hand to hit the Backspace key on the fly, and I never have a use for the Caps Lock key. Although I think later versions removed this feature, so I'm not sure.

Learning a new keyboard layout may take a hit on your typing abilities in QWERTY at first, but if you keep up both layouts, the former will eventually come back to you. During the first few weeks of picking up Colemak, my QWERTY typing speed sank to around 50 WPM. The last I checked, I can now type at about 85 WPM on QWERTY and 90-100 WPM on Colemak.

Having my keys rearranged on my laptop and PC also means nobody else can easily use my computers. :buddy:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I used the Dvorak layout for a while, but I found it just didn't make a difference (or at least not one I noticed). I slowed down at first obviously, but once I got used to it I got back up to where I was with QWERTY and stayed there.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

The ABC layout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftDkBFz9BII

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That's an interesting idea, but I'm not 100% convinced that the alphabetical layout would actually be that useful. Like, none of their quotes from experts are actually about the keyboard, they're just about the importance of kids learning their letters early.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
This reminds me of taking some standardized test in high school and the teacher kept saying QWERTY every 3 seconds ("can't use QWERTY calculators" etc) in the most obnoxious American midwestern accent. Kweeeearty.

E: I just texted my friend and she remembers it with amusement as well. This was 15 years too. Lol

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 10:04 on Dec 6, 2017

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

This reminds me of taking some standardized test in high school and the teacher kept saying QWERTY every 3 seconds ("can't use QWERTY calculators" etc) in the most obnoxious American midwestern accent. Kweeeearty.

E: I just texted my friend and she remembers it with amusement as well. This was 15 years too. Lol

QWERTY calculators? What? :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

QWERTY calculators? What? :psyduck:

It's pretty common with graphing calculators, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Tiggum posted:

It's pretty common with graphing calculators, I think?

Yep I don't know if they still make them cause this was back in like 2003/4 but the TI-92

We were only allowed the TI-83, not the 89 (or 92 obviously) cause that thing did everything for you, but you better believe I got that 89 as soon as I had money, helped me the gently caress with calculus cause I could make sure my formulas etc were right before I turned them in. I did the work first because I loved (and still love) calculus but I used it to verify because I am a nerd and wanted everything to be correct.

• Locked thread