Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

What are some good covers Bowie has done?

The Rolling Stones one on Aladdin Sane is horrendous. I don't think Cactus was particularly inspired, either, and I'm not sure if it's even on an album--I only heard him do the Pixies live.

I'd say All the Young Dudes, but it doesn't really count since he wrote the song in the first place, even though I think his version is better than Mott the Hoople's.
His cover of Nirvana's "Man Who Sold The World" isn't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

A Strange Aeon posted:

The Rolling Stones one on Aladdin Sane is horrendous. I don't think Cactus was particularly inspired, either, and I'm not sure if it's even on an album--I only heard him do the Pixies live.

I'd say All the Young Dudes, but it doesn't really count since he wrote the song in the first place, even though I think his version is better than Mott the Hoople's.

Wild is the Wind is definitely his best cover by a lot. Cactus cover was on Heathen

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Tin Machine loving suuuucked

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I prefer Bowie's version of Friday On My Mind over the original Easybeats version.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

WatermelonGun posted:

Let’s Dance was the soundtrack to me losing my virginity so I deeply hate that album

Mine was Daft Punk's "Homework" and "Teachers" came on while I was inside of her. Magic.

Dr. Dre is in the hoooouse

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've lost track of how many times I've listened to Space Oddity, Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Young Americans, and Let's Dance all the way through. Also had Blackstar on repeat for a few months after Bowie died.

Even the Noting Has Changed compilation owns and I usually pass on "best of" albums.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 24, 2017

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
bowie isn't good at all. he may be more overrated than the beatles.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

berth ell pup posted:

bowie isn't good at all. he may be more overrated than the beatles.
Lol, weak bait.

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
Is ground control to uncle tom based on a true story?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Jake Mustache posted:

Is ground control to uncle tom based on a true story?

Ashes to ashes, funk to funky, we all know Major Tom's a junkie, strung out on heaven's high, hitting an all-time low

No. It's not. It's about a fictional space mission, possibly drug use. Apollo 13 hadn't even happened yet.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

A Strange Aeon posted:

He had a bunch of songs that they wrote together with Iggy, came out on Iggy's albums first, but then he did his version on his albums:
- China Girl
- Don't Look Down
- Tonight
- Neighborhood Threat
- (Iggy) Sister Midnight = (Bowie) Red Money

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I slightly prefer the Iggy versions of all of those, but really I love everything.

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

His cover of Nirvana's "Man Who Sold The World" isn't bad.

Not sure if Im reading you right, but Bowie wrote and performed The Man Who Sold The World in 1969 which was first covered by Lulu in 74, and then by Midge Ure in 82. Nivarna didnt get to it until sometime in the 90's

Also Blackstar is a loving odyssey, it is just amazing. The track and the album

The Unfetered One fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 24, 2017

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Egbert Souse posted:

Even the Noting Has Changed compilation owns and I usually pass on "best of" albums.

Your talking my language. That 'best of' album really does loving own.

Got an echoe? 'Alexa, play songs by David Bowie' will give you hours of entertainment. God I do love Bowie.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

All of them that arent Heroes

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Unfetered One posted:

Not sure if Im reading you right, but Bowie wrote and performed The Man Who Sold The World in 1969 which was first covered by Lulu in 74, and then by Midge Ure in 82. Nivarna didnt get to it until sometime in the 90's
I knew somebody would fall for it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Waffle House posted:

Was The Next Day interesting at all?

Upon release it was frequently described as "a best of Bowie album featuring songs you'd somehow never heard". It's a lot more rock'n'roll than the stuff that proceeded or followed it, but there's hints of the style that would become Blackstar mixed into some decent guitar riffs. If you just listen to the singles alone you end up with a pretty decent EP length mix.

"The Next Day" and "Valentine's Day" ended up being my two favorite tracks on it.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Upon release it was frequently described as "a best of Bowie album featuring songs you'd somehow never heard". It's a lot more rock'n'roll than the stuff that proceeded or followed it, but there's hints of the style that would become Blackstar mixed into some decent guitar riffs. If you just listen to the singles alone you end up with a pretty decent EP length mix.

"The Next Day" and "Valentine's Day" ended up being my two favorite tracks on it.

Plus I love the meaning behind the album art. I really like Love Is Lost, I think that was a bonus track.

Nude fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 25, 2017

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Atlas Hugged posted:

When my wife first heard Valentines Day she commented on what a lovely song it is. I asked her if she knew what it was actually about. It is however pretty great with a very simple, very emotive video.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Next Day is alright. Not bad at all, but just alright. It’s what I would consider the generic Bowie album and would put it as the median in a list ranking Bowie albums from good to bad. If it’s worse than TND then it’s bad, if it is above it then it is good.

TND was a pleasant listen but I remember coming out of it not really remembering anything that really stuck out. With the exception of Blackstar, I feel like Bowie’s creativity declined after Earthling. Before you could kind of point to an album or albums and be like ‘oh that’s X Bowie album/albums’. (Space Oddity is the psych folk Bowie album, Station to Station is the kraut rock Bowie album, Tonight is the poo poo Bowie album). After Earthling Bowie seems to become complacent in just doing rock music without really changing it up too much. Until Blackstar at least. TND fits right in there with that.

Though to be fair I am much more knowledgeable about Bowie’s 60s-mid 90s output than I am the later stuff so I could be wrong.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I agree; TND wasn't bad, but it wasn't a classic like Blackstar is. Also, I totally think Earthling is underrated. I think it's a top 10 album by him.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Earthling and Reality each have a few good songs but neither one is a particularly strong album as a whole. TND is about the same in terms of writing but to me it does sound like he got some energy back in performing.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Earlier we were talking about Outside and Earthling, and people took the "sounds reminiscent of Nine Inch Nails," comments as an attack.

It's not an attack. That album harkens back to Foetus' 80's albums as well. If anything saying he made a good record that sounds like NIN is a grand achievement... See most 90s industrial rock. Most 90's industrial rock is hot garbage, but Outside is a great album. It's his best record between Scary Monsters and Blackstar in my estimation.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Station to Station isn't krautrocky at all.

• Locked thread