Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There are other movie boards?

just the three outside Ebbing, Missouri iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I came here to see if my personal theory about Mr. Idaho is discussed, and not seeing it in the thread.

My take: While he is a war veteran (no reason to doubt what the chief turned up), I don't at all think he committed the rape whether in Missouri or in Iraq. I think he's just a fabulist who was in the area, saw Mildred in the news and went to gently caress with her just out of sick humor. And then seeing more potential to gently caress with people, he lies to his credulous bar-buddy and claims that he's the one that committed the famous crime that's all in the news, last time he passed through town, even though he didn't and wasn't even around to do it. I think assuming that he committed a very similar crime overseas is way more complicated an explanation, and the simpler one is that he just makes poo poo up to gently caress with people and coincidentally is overheard during his fake-confession and at the end is quite possibly going to get murdered for something he never did, simply because he unintentionally stumbled across two really broken people while loving around.

I don't follow all the other movie boards, but has this possibility been analyzed elsewhere?

There's not enough concrete evidence in the movie to really pin down the character, so your read on him is just as valid as any other. I wouldn't say that it's more 'complicated' to presume this guy committed a similar crime while overseas, though; it seems more directly tied to one of the movies themes in which almost everyone deep down is doing their best to be a good person but are just huge, huge dumbasses in the way they go about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In catching up with this thread after I watched it, I noticed that a lot of posters are taking it as read that Dixon absolutely, no question "tortured" a "black man". The entire time I was watching the film, I took the view that the deliberate vagueness about that situation, coupled with things Dixon himself says, was meant to make us question what really happened.

The film goes out of its way to make a point about assuming things about people ("Which, you might be surprised to learn, I am against") so I'm wondering why any of y'all took that plot point as gospel truth?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He throws a guy out a window (and then beats him further) so it seems pretty plausible. Even willoughby couldn't spin it. I saw no reason not to take it at face value.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

No Wave posted:

He throws a guy out a window (and then beats him further) so it seems pretty plausible.

Well, that was in an extraordinary circumstance. Presumably he hadn't just had his best friend/father figure kill himself the day he interrogated the black guy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

precision posted:

Well, that was in an extraordinary circumstance. Presumably he hadn't just had his best friend/father figure kill himself the day he interrogated the black guy.

Most people don't throw an innocent civilian through a window under any circumstance though

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

General Dog posted:

Most people don't throw an innocent civilian through a window under any circumstance though

Most people wouldn't gently caress a fishman
but then there are some folk'll

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

General Dog posted:

I think it's easy to support the argument that the text of the film intends what Dixon did to be ambiguous. It's not as easy to find evidence that the film intends it to be an absolute objective fact.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

precision posted:

I think it's easy to support the argument that the text of the film intends what Dixon did to be ambiguous. It's not as easy to find evidence that the film intends it to be an absolute objective fact.
It's very easy. Everyone seems to agree he did it, and we even get to see him do something worse in case we didn't think he was capable for some reason. What else is there? There aren't any shades of grey around the sort of turd person cop Dixon was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

No Wave posted:

Everyone seems to agree he did it

That's the main reason that I think it's meant to be ambiguous, given the film's central theme of "perception is not reality".

• Locked thread