Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Part 15: Never Far From The Queen

Music: Defiance Bay

: "Defiance Bay. If ever there were a dry field in need of a cleansing flame, you have found it."

A short trip later and we're back in Defiance Bay; the Copperlane district, according to the map.

Nearby, we got a crowd going on. The guard on the bridge did mention something about someone stirring up trouble.

: "And yet the duc and his toadies in the Crucible Knights do nothing."
: "Can we allow these atrocities to continue unchecked?"

: "Waidwen's Legacy was one warning. Heritage Hill was another."
: "Spread the word! Together we'll drive the blight of animancy from our city!"

The guard also helpfully told us the guy's name was Rowan, though dunno why we're assuming this particular rabble-rouser is the one he was talking about. Narrative convenience, I guess.

: "What are you doing out here?"
: He gestures at the crowd, which buzzes with angry chatter. "Trying to get folk to see reason. We're in the midst of a crisis, and instead of purging the nefarious forces from our city, the duc is granting animancers dangerous liberties."
: "What do you know about animancy?"
: "It's the study and manipulation of essence, which any sane person'll tell you is the purview of the gods. The Aedyrans at least had the sense to outlaw it, which is the only good thing you can say about them."
: "It's not like magic, chanting, or the soul readings those ciphers do. It's been around since ancient Engwithan times, which is why you'll see animancers tinkering with old Engwithan artifacts."

: He shakes his head. "Trouble is, the animancers got no idea what half those artifacts actually do. Not that they'll admit it."

: "Tell me about the Dozens."
: He taps his chest. "We're an organization of interested citizens who want to free Defiance Bay from the dangerous influence of animancers and the tyranny of the aristocrats who support them."
: "We also consider ourselves a militia of sorts, seeing as the Crucible Knights are little more than a flock of preening nobles-in-training these days."
: "Just like a militia, the Dozens. Except for the training. And the discipline. And the code of honor."

That is a pretty optimistic views on militias. Anyway, the Dozens and the Crucible Knights Rowan was raving bitterly about make up two of the major factions of Defiance Bay.

: His eyes gleam. "And we're always looking to expand. The more people see things our way, the better for the state of the country."
: "You have any interest in hearing more, stop by Admeth's Den sometime - the expedition hall. Lotta free thinkers in there, can set straight all the nonsense the nobles and the animancers want you to believe. Might even be some paid work there for motivated types."
: "I'd like to know more about Defiance Bay."
: He gets a mischievous gleam in his eye. "Aye, I bet they don't teach about the colony that trounced Hadret's Handmaiden back in good old Aedyr, do they?"
: "This is the capital of the Free Palatinate of the Dyrwood. We started out as the capital of an Aedyran colony, but we booted the Flaccid Scepter from these lands one hundred fifty years ago."

: "Tell me about Copperlane."
: "This here is Copperlane." He taps a scuffed boot on the cobblestones. "It's primarily a market district, but you've also got the expedition hall directly north of here, where you can join treks into the wilds. That's also where my fellow Dozens martyrs and I tend to meet up with other concerned citizens."

He points to a long, domed building west and north of your position.

: "And that's the Hall of Revealed Mysteries. Eerie place, you ask me, but they've got the biggest library in the Dyrwood."

: "Tell me about Brackenbury."
: A noise of disgust rattles in his throat. "The nobility that didn't sail back to Aedyr stayed there. Most of the families there trace their lineage back to old imperial times."
: "Other than a lot of has-been nobility, you've got Hadret House, where Lady Webb and her spies operate, and Brackenbury Sanitarium, the main cesspit of animancy in the city." He spits on the cobblestones.
: "Tell me about First Fires."
: "That's where the revolution started. Hence the name. These days it's overrun with politicians and panderers, but we'll take it back someday."
: "That's where you'll find the Ducal Palace, the Vailian embassy, and Crucible Keep." He shakes his head. "The Crucible Knights were the original freedom fighters in Defiance Bay, but now they're just strutting peacocks with their eyes on fancy titles and their heads up their asses. There's an old temple of Woedica there, too. We keep it real nice for her." He winks.

Well I'm sure he's not implying something that's going to be a problem in the near future. At least both him and the guard agree where the temple is, so that's where we'll aim for.

: "Tell me about Ondra's Gift."
: "Got the name because it was a wetland that was drained back in the imperial days. Now, it's a seedy district populated by sailors, common folk, and more than a few thugs, but it's a fun place, too, if you know where to look."
: He winks and elbows you. "Look for a place called the Salty Mast when you're there. Other than that it's mostly warehouses and abandoned homes."
: "Tell me about Heritage Hill."
: He shivers. "It used to be one of the more prestigious districts in the city. Heroes of the revolution claimed plots up there, next to an ancient Engwithan tower and the city cemetery. Had the best views in Defiance Bay. Attracts richer types these days. Lotta animancy patrons." He spits.
: He glances at the crowd and lowers his voice. "You wouldn't have heard, but something happened over there a couple months ago. The authorities sealed it off and they're keeping their mouths shut, but mark my words, animancy's to blame."

That's all the areas of the city, so time to leave him to his speeches.

: "Farewell."

Defiance Bay is the equivalent to Baldur's Gate's…. Baldur's Gate, and there is a million sidequests to do in Copperlane alone. While not as big as some RPG cities, most of it is open to us from the start, and it's easy to start drowning in quests if you're not careful. Still, there's a few things that are worth doing before moving on to the Leaden Key. First up, to the market for some unfinished business.

Our friend from the broken bridge has managed to make it here.

: "Show me your wares."

Traps and supplies; the discount isn't going to be getting a lot of use, but we can restock on camping supplies here every now and then. Traps can be useful in Pillars, but we're getting plenty just from Durance disarming them from the ground of places we're not supposed to be.

On top of Peregund, our Fighter and Ranger both want to have a talk while we're in the district.

Don't think sitting on the ground in a medieval city is a great idea, but you do you, Sagani.

: "You've been searching for Persoq for five years?"
: "Five years for me. Must be thirty-something for Itumaak." Hearing its name, the fox looks up.
: "How is the search going?"

: "Why do you have to find Persoq?"
: "Soul-recovery is an old village tradition. We call it the Tarneq-Ilitsaak." She sighs. "Once in a generation, we seek the soul of a much-respected - and long-dead - village elder. We tell him what's changed in the village. How people remember him.
: "The only other Tarneq-Ilitsaak during my lifetime happened when I was a girl, not long after Persoq died. We feasted on blubber and fermented milk for a week, and we honored the chosen huntress as a hero."

: "What happened to her?"
: "I don't think she ever returned. It happens that way sometimes." She folds her arms, her expression sober.
: "I see."
: "It's not being forgotten by my village that troubles me. But... sometimes I wonder how my husband and children remember me. If they think of me often."
: "That must be difficult."

: "Yes, in fragments."

Mostly just that masked dude way back and visions of painful-looking devices. If that was our past life and the Dyrwood didn't used to be covered in torture dungeons, anyway.

: "It's... strange. Feels like I'm going crazy most of the time."
: She sits back. "I don't envy you. Guess I'm lucky I only have to worry about someone else's past life."
: "Makes me wonder what Persoq remembers about our village. Or if a turn at the Wheel has yanked the details out of his mind like it does for most of us."
: "What would you tell him about your village?"
: She brushes a braid behind her shoulder. "Massuk is probably much the same as it was a hundred years ago. We live between tundra and frozen forests, and the land takes as much as it gives. But our hardships bring us together. And the elders truly unite us. They keep the stories of past generations, and they guide us from season to season, through good years and lean."

Itumaak brushes against her hip, and she scratches his head.

: "Recently, there've been a lot of good years. My aunts say we've had fewer clashes with neighboring villages thanks to the hunting territories that Persoq helped establish."

: "It sounds like Persoq did a lot for your people."
: She shoves the adra bear back into her caribou-skin pack. "That's what I'm supposed to remind him."

: "Does it matter? I don't have much of a choice in this, anyway."
: Her brow creases. "I know what you mean."
: She rises and stretches, looking around. "Might as well keep moving while we've got some daylight."

She says that even if it's night. Daylight is a more nebulous term in the arctic circle, clearly.

Edér's sensible enough to keep standing for whatever he wants to talk about.

: "Why do they call themselves 'the Dozens'?"
: "Was twelve Dyrwoodans, stood outside Halgot Citadel waiting for Waidwen to cross the bridge there. They had to hold him there long enough for the Godhammer to detonate, so that's what they did."
: "Godhammer?"
: "That's what they called the bomb they blew up Waidwen with. Don't know much about it other than that. Anything kills a living god, guess you gotta name it."

Pity, can't imagine your description would have been less helpful than Durance's if you had known something.

: "What do you have against the Dozens?"
: "Ah, nothing serious. Nothing I don't have against a lot of folks, anyway. The Dozens, they like to take things into their own hands. Gets ugly sometimes. We don't have 'em in Gilded Vale, but they'd be right at home there."
: "They picked that name so they could do what they wanted and feel like it was right. Got nothing to do with honor or sacrifice. They like to invoke Magran too, when they especially want to feel right. Somehow I don't think she'd be too impressed with that lot."

: "Too bad. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that."
: "Proof that the gods are just. What I wouldn't give for a little of that."

Most companions make their particular character dilemmas clear throughout little chats like this. We actually could be earning points towards a particular ending for them throughout dialogue like this, though for most characters what matters the most is their final quest; it's hard to completely lock yourself out of certain paths unless you do something obvious like repeat 'nothing matters lol' at Sagani over and over.

There's a nice hidden cache further south of the market, near an open-air theatre.

Figurines are just an item you can carry on a party member like potions that provide summoning abilities. In the past, they didn't use to have a duration- if you were doing a solo run, they were a godsend due to how much you could beat with an army of summons while your single character ran like hell. They're still useful now, but with a full party we won't be seeing them too much.

Further south again, near one of Copperlane's exits is this kid, trying to call us over. I know I said we don't want to drown in sidequests right now, and this is a sidequest trigger if I ever saw one, but hey, he's on the way.

: "Hey, miss, want to know a secret?" He wipes his nose with a sleeve. "I know a real good secret."

: "Beat it. It wouldn't interest me."
: "No, I promise, it's a really good secret!" He scampers in front of you and starts talking rapidly. "I know this place where people hide things. Really special things. If you help me, I promise I'll show you."
: "Help you with what?"
: Gordy's voice suddenly rises in pitch and tempo. "The Crucible Knights have these daggers made out of March steel. It's the best steel around, except for Durgan steel, which doesn't count because no one makes it any more."
: He stops long enough to catch his breath. "Anyway, there's this merchant, over by the expedition hall, and he has a dagger made of real March steel!" His eyes grow large and round. "He said he wouldn't sell it to me because I'm a kid, and kids don't know anything about daggers."
: "But that's not true. I know lots about daggers. I know about the different kinds of steel, I know how the Crucible Knights make them in a forge, I know that the tip can pierce low-gauge scale armor, that one that's good and sharp can cut through bone..."
: "See, I know plenty about daggers, and I really, really want this one, and if you could just get it for me, I promise I'll never, ever ask anyone for anything ever again."

Kana would make a fine cool uncle and a terrible dad. Anyway, threatening small children might be little much at this juncture. Let's see what this secret is the hard way.

: "You're too young to play with knives. I'm sure your parents told you that or you wouldn't be asking me."
: "But if I'm going to be a real warrior, I have to start training young, just like the heroes in the stories. I just know I was a great warrior in a previous life. My mom even says I have an old soul."
: "Fine, I'll help you."
: Gordy jumps up and down, whooping and hollering. "I knew a real adventurer would understand!" He points to a large building. "There's a big merchant over by Admeth's Den who sells weapons. He's the one with the dagger."
: "I'll wait right here for you." His gap-toothed grin stretches from ear to ear.

The big merchant is back where Peregund was hanging out.

: "What's so special about Sonild?"

: "I'm looking for a particular dagger made of March steel."
: "Just like the Crucible Knights use? Let me guess. You've been talking to that kid, right?" He laughs and shakes his head.
: "I'd be tempted to sell it to you anyways and let the little rascal learn his lesson, but a pack of adventurers already took it off my hands."

: "If March steel daggers only given to Crucible Knights, how did you get your hands on one?"

: "If you give me a small discount at your store, the Crucible Knights don't need to know where it came from, either."
: He grunts and rolls his eyes. "Fine. Five percent to avoid the hassle. Last thing I need is a shakedown from them, what with my stall being so close to Admeth's Den and the Dozens."
: "Tell me more about the dagger."
: He oils the cloth in his hand. "Made out of a high purity iron ore that comes out of the White March mountains. Traditionally, the smiths at the Crucible Keep have smelted it into daggers and swords, which they only give to the Knights of the Crucible. Of course, I'd be surprised if that kid didn't already tell you all of this." He grins.
: "Those adventurers you sold the dagger to - where are they now?"
: "Folk like that only visit Copperlane to crew up at Admeth's Den Expedition Hall or down a pint at the Goose and Fox. And since they weren't headed into the Den, well... you've got my best guess."

Dagger located and discount achieved; let's have a look at his inventory before we rush off.

The beast was craftier than they'd planned, and by Inivèrno, half of the hunters and most of their hunting foxes had been slain without so much as wounding the leopard. Desperate and furious, one of the hunters crafted a bow from the bones of her slain fox. As her remaining companions looked on, it seemed that all of her rage was channeled into the weapon while she carved and shaped it. Her work completed, she set off and tracked the beast to its lair. Once she'd killed it, she decorated her bow with its teeth as a reminder of the deed and of the long and tragic hunt.

Now black with age and use, this bow is nevertheless fierce to behold. It's studded with the teeth of a large cat, and the notches curve in tight spirals.

'Attacks can Stun on Crit' is the important part here; stuns can rarely be mitigated by enemies, and with enough accuracy Sagani can lay on the crits rapid fire. It's expensive, but it turns out the million suits of plate armour from Operation: Paladin Shank at Raedric's Keep provide more than enough funds.

Here we are at the Copperlane inn. Oh boy. Where to begin? The Goose and Fox is another kickstarter backer reward, an inn this time designed by the community of the site Neogaf. The innkeeper inside has some story referencing their owner or something along those lines. There's even a character portait based on him you can pick based on his face. All of this would be pretty inoffensive compared to the army of gold-plated NPCs, except he ended up being accused of sexual assault and his entire site blew up sometime last year.

It's not content that aged well, is what I'm saying. A lot of quests involve this place, but you'll forgive me if I skip whatever dumb internet reference filled story the innkeeper has to tell and just go to the adventurers.

The buyers of the dagger are inside and upstairs.

: "Who are all of you?"
: "The name's Two-Tone Weaxel. The lady next to me is Key. We've had our fun with the expeditions, but we were hoping to enjoy a little peace and quiet. For the next few weeks, anyway."

I think these guys are also some kind of 'put your DnD party in our game' backer tier, but fair's fair, they blend in fine.

: "We were part of separate expedition teams, but we both suffered losses and decided to band together."
: He ticks several items off his fingers. "Beasts, barbarians, bîaŵacs. It's a dangerous time to be an adventurer, but a prosperous one, too."

: "Did you buy a March steel dagger from Igrun?"

: "How much to take it off your hands?"
: He turns the blade in the light, admiring it. "Seeing as how there's a sudden demand for this, one hundred pands seems fair."

Chump change at this point. We'd almost lose more money attacking them.

: "Demand isn't as high as you think. Chances are good that dagger was stolen or looted off of one of the Knights. In that case, I'm probably doing you a favor."

: "Deal."
: He hands you the dagger, hilt first. "Pleasure doing business with you."

We head back out to turn our new purchase in. Gordy hasn't moved from his spot. Patient for his age.

: "I have the dagger right here."
: Gordy stops bouncing and stares at it, gaping in awe. "It's so sharp..."
: [Toss him the dagger.] "Don't kill yourself or anything."

With Survival 4, we could give him a quick primer on weapon safety, but eh, what's the worst that could happen.

: He snatches it out of the air, heedless of anything else. He yanks it out of its sheath and holds the blade up to the light. "I'm going to be just like the Crucible Knights." He saws and chops at the air.
: He flips the weapon into the air and grabs at the hilt, almost slicing his palm open in the process. His eyes dart away from yours as he sheathes the dagger.

Other than that, I mean.

: "Great secret. I already knew that. Tell me something else."
: He scratches his head and wrinkles his brow. "Um... sometimes my dad goes to Ondra's Gift without telling my mom. Some place called the Salty Mast."

That's probably one of the most pointlessly cruel insults in the game.

: "That's amazing. Here's a secret for you. Your dad doesn't love you or your mother. Thanks for wasting my time, you little dolt."
: Gordy blinks for a few seconds before his eyes water and his mouth twists into a frown. He stares at the ground and starts to cry.

It's also one of the most entertaining, if you're a terrible person. Over the top, sure, but this kid just did cost us 100 pands and give us the run around. At any rate, after going through all that to make a small child cry, there's nothing else calling out to us in the southern half of Copperlane right now.

To the First Fires.

: "Have you ever chased a skirt, wizard, or do you merely hide behind them?"
: "Don't pawn your personal problems off on me."
: "They will use you. Cast you off when it suits them. Never speak another word to you."
: "Maybe they just don't answer to 'fiery whore.'"

Now we're in Act 2, our party members will spontaneously start some banter as you enter areas, only 50% of which are people dunking on Durance. Once we get the full gang together, I'll collect them in side updates.

Anyway. Don't think anyone pointed out where in here the Temple actually was.

Outside wilderness areas, however, our map is auto-filled in, so we'll just trust it and head to the bottom of the area.

...Oh. That's 2 for 2 for ruined temples, I think.

Thankfully, we've got bullshit plot ghost powers. This spectre appears as we approach closer.

: "Who are you?"
: "Lord Adwellen Rügfald III, and pleased to make your acquaintance. I came to the Dyrwood on one of the first ships from Aedyr."
: His cloudy eyes swim with resentment. "And unlike the yokels and hut-dwellers around here, I still keep to the old ways."
: "It's truly a pity to see what the locals have done to Woedica's house of worship."
: "I was told I'd find the Temple of Woedica here."
: "And so you did." The ghost's misty visage contorts in a scowl. "These savage colonists may have burned it down, but worship of the Oathbinder is alive and well. These stairs lead to the main sanctum."
: "What stairs?"
: "These stairs, of course." The ghost gestures to an impassable pile of rubble. Like the rest of the ruin, it seems to have remained untouched for over a century. "The sanctum was always belowground, adjacent to the catacombs, so it wasn't destroyed by the fires."
: "Tell me where I'd find an entrance to these catacombs."

: "What are you doing?"
: "Worshiping Woedica, the Exiled Queen and Oathbinder. I come every day to offer my devotion."
: His expression fades into confusion. "I'd love nothing more than to book passage back to Aedyr, but it is my emperor's wish that I serve in these barbaric lands. And so I do." He shrugs.
: "I'd like to know more about Woedica."
: The ghost's hazy features sharpen with delight. "A queen among the gods. She oversees laws and oaths - everything has a rightful place, and Woedica watches over them all."

She's the Exiled Queen according to your own words, mate; the other gods don't just question her authority, they're presumably flat out ignoring it.

: "You know that you're a ghost, right?"
: "I beg your pardon? Is this some sort of joke where you come from?"
: "I'm serious. Just look at yourself."
: He closes his eyes and massages his temples with wispy fingers. "A madhouse. That's what this town really needs."

Good news, there's a sanitarium in Brackenbury supposedly. Don't let your dreams be dreams. Speaking of people doubting our sanity, Sagani steps in as soon as our vision is over.

: "It happens from time to time."
: She watches you quietly. "You really are a Watcher, aren't you? Once in a great many generations, one of my people is born with the ability to speak to souls. Usually, such individuals become elders... or a lone set of tracks in the snow."
: She cocks her head. "I would've thought my journey would be easier if I could see what you see. But looking at you, I'm not so sure."
: "Neither am I."
: "Believe it or not, I once would have rejoiced to know I'd be picked to travel far in search of something great. But even these gifts come with a cost, don't they? Forgive me if I was a little... skeptical of your abilities before. I can't say I've met a real Watcher before."

: "Once you've seen it a few times, the shock wears off."
: "Every time she goes a little strange in the face I try and see if I can hear anything..." Kana grins. "It hasn't worked so far. See if you can get her to tell you what the spirits said."

Thank you all for the emotional support, guys, in these trying times.

Back to Copperlane we go.

Gordy's dad has arrived when we pass him again. It really is not his day.

: "It sure is. What are you going to do about it?"

Hey, didn't sound like he took the dagger back. At least Gordy got something out of the experience.

The catacombs are nearby on the southwest edge of the map. Next time, the Temple of Woedica and another sewer dungeon.

AnEndcat fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Now I wonder if there's a smaller quest in the game than getting a little boy a pointy knife.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Clearly we need to possess a ghost to explore the temple the way the ghosts remember it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
You've just given him the knife? :ohdear:

There are a lot of ways to be needlessly cruel in Defiance Bay, and I couldn't bring myself to do any of them. I'm looking forward to see them in your playthrough!

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Part 16: The Temple of Woedica

Music: The Quiet Slave

Welcome to the Copperlane catacombs, supposedly our path to the Temple of Woedica and the Leaden Key. The second we walk in we're confronted by a glowing corpse; time to get to work.

You are in a different body now, walking deeper into the catacombs, cloaked in a dark robe with a mask pulled over your face. You're following a familiar path along the canal, heading to a room built around a statue of a figure wearing a robe much like yours. Others await, clothed in hoods and shadows.

Ahead is another figure dressed like you, traveling in the same direction. You don't know his name, and that's how it's supposed to be.

Out of the darkness, something monstrous grabs the other figure. You turn to flee but find yourself face-to-face with a troll. The panic pounding through your brain is interrupted by razor-edged teeth and claws.

You snap yourself out of the dead man's memory. The corpse lies on the damp and grimy ground. His hood and mask are missing and his clothes are shredded.

It might not be the Leaden Key, but some kind of shadowy organisation's been operating nearby. And they have a troll problem.

And soon so do we, along with a lot of sporelings. Itumaak can plug in a hole in our line, giving us a front-line of four people if necessary, though we still want Edér taking the brunt of the damage. One benefit to this is that while Itumaak is better used flanking, he and all animal companions don't have a Health score- they only die if their mistress dies. Sagani receives an accuracy debuff if he's knocked out ('Bonded Grief'), but depending on the situation it can be better than the health of our party getting depleted.

I don't know what's going on with these corpses but we can still loot them so, eh?

The trolls were guarding this poor guy, who we immediately disrobe; I know disguise fodder when I see it.

Other than the trolls and sporelings, there's oozes wandering around, plus the denizens of the crypts up and about. Unlike the skeletons we fought earlier, these ones have classes, and act more like human opponents with a resistance to slashing. 'Kill the caster first' applies like it always does.

We take a quick rest in the sewers, despite, y'know, the Copperlane inn being about 5 metres above us. Oozes, trolls and sporelings all count as Primordial, so it's worth the camping supplies.

Our next morning is interrupted by Aloth.

: "YOU seem preoccupied, Aloth."
: He laughs uneasily. "Mad old Watchers, a cult on our trail... what's not to worry about?"

: "What's this really about?"
: Aloth glances up at you, his eyes wide and startled. "I was just checking in on you. That's all."
: He looks away again. "I should let you rest. It looks like we'll have another full day tomorrow."

Nice having another chat where you don't really say anything, Aloth. Same time Friday?

West of the trolls we have a man over here taking up a nice crypt all to himself.

: "What can you tell me about these catacombs?"
: Eorn smiles wryly. "Haven't explored too much of it, to be honest. Got lucky finding this little corner of it. But let me think..."
: "Well, the canal there - that's Grogan's Canal. Grogan was the dwarf that planned the whole thing. It runs up through to Ondra's Gift, spills out into the sea there."
: "Otherwise it's just a lot of bones. There's the warrens, for people that couldn't afford better. But it's all flooded now. The fancier folks, they have their own resting places, down here. Drier places."
: "The Ducs of the Dyrwood are down here, actually. If you want to pay your respects."
: "What are you doing down here?"

: "There are less dangerous places to live as meager a life. You're hiding from something... or someone."
: Eorn looks around the dingy chamber, and nods slowly, expression pained. "Yeah, I guess that's plain enough to see." : Eorn sighs heavily. "Very well. It's true. I've been hiding from the Knights down here. But it isn't what you think." He ducks his head. "It was an accident."
: "It's been hard for me, here in Defiance Bay. I suppose I thought if I got involved in city business, if I made the right friends, it would get easier in time. And it did, really. I made a name for myself, a place. People actually listen to me when I talk... Well, they used to."
: "People can get very passionate about these things. We were discussing... I think it was shipping agreements - of all the things to fight over! But this one night this man, he... got very angry. I think maybe he'd had a little too much at the inn." Eorn pauses. "And I guess he didn't like an orlan talking back at him."
: "I struck him. He came towards me, and I hit him, and he went over like a tree. I guess he struck his head on the way down." Eorn lowers his gaze, and shrugs, helplessly. "Turns out he was a Knight."
: "The Crucible Knights won't care how it happened. They just want me gone - they won't let me live long enough to see the rope. Please." He looks at you with a pleading expression. "I just want to get out of this city. The second I can get money for passage, I won't trouble anyone again, I swear it. I'll live quietly. But you can't... please, you can't tell them I'm here."

Let him go or kill him are the usual options here. We didn't pick up the bounty before coming here, and letting him go seems a little too merciful for us. But if you've built up enough of Caed Nua- specifically, the dungeons...

: [Take prisoner.] "I won't let the Knights take you. But I can't just let you go free."
: Eorn lowers his head. "I had hoped to be out of the city by now. I guess I can't outrun what I've done. At least you are leaving me with my life."

He's physically back in Caed Nua now; there's some things we can do with prisoners, assuming they don't break out before the right event fires. Which is usually what happens.

His nameplate follows us around until a reload. I've barely ever run into any real bugs before this LP, I swear. Obsidian-patented launch issues aside. Lord, there were a lot of launch issues.

To the far north the skeletons start appearing in larger packs, as do the fresh bodies lying on the ground. Something's nearby.

And whatever it is, it’s well protected. The area around here is heavily trapped.

Itumaak and companions don't trigger traps; you can use this to your advantage if there's a trap you can spot but not disarm. On the other hand, as they don't have Health it would be really easy to just clear an area of traps if they could trip 'em. Cosmetic pets can't either, while we're on the subject; the black hound ignores dragonfire exploding in her face, some spikes on the ground aren't going to cut it.

Durance has enough Mechanics to spot these but not disarm them all, so we walk carefully around.

Oh, uh, hello there.

: "I was just exploring the catacombs."
The figure aims a gnarled finger at the door. "Then go. And thank your gods I'm not hungry."

Bit presumptuous, we could be between gods right now.

"If there's nothing else, be on your way."
: "What are those creatures behind you?"
"Just a few personal projects. Sorry souls stuck in their mortal shells. Their flesh is as dead as mine, though their minds are not as well maintained."
"They flock to me like wurms to drakes. They're not half as intelligent, but..." He watches as one stumbles into a desk. "They serve for amusement."
: "What are you doing down here?"
"Research. A hodgepodge of animancy and necromancy. I have peace and quiet as well as an... abundant supply of subjects."

Seems a nice enough guy. We'll let him get on with things after we rummage through all his stuff.

This looks like an important quest item but I'm 70% sure it's never used for anything. Helig doesn't mind us taking it, though, so why not?

Far to the west of Helig is the stairs down to what is hopefully the temple.

Looks like more caverns to me, but the 'new map discovered' message says otherwise.

A few step forwards and there's another vision, with a familiar face.

: "Only recently."
: "A remarkable city. Truly one of the most impressive we have encountered outside of our own. Many exceptional people who have joined our cause come from Creitum."

: "I went through dark times. Nothing made sense. That all changed when your order came to my homeland."
: "Little makes sense in the false contexts much of the world has lived under for so long. It is by the mercy of the gods that our faith has been able to reach so many of the heathen in more recent times."
: "Are you ready to take the oath? To spread the word of the gods to the lost and heathen?"
: "I am..."

It's the man from Cilant Lîs and the storm, waaaay back from when Heodan and Calisca were still with us. We're on the right track. Before heading onwards we check out a dead-end to the north.

Well, 'Dead-end'. It's another hidden passageway. Rooting around with Durance finds a switch on the ground...

...Which reveals this crypt.

Our reward is a chance at random loot from the coffin. We get this. 'Stuck' is a fairly common enemy effect (webs and so on), but the main use is going to be Athletics checks. Don't think I've ever gotten these before, somehow, despite them being in around ten different random treasure tables.

Moving on… armed mercs. No temple is complete without them.

: "I left my mask inside. Let me pass."
: He thinks carefully, then nods. "All right, then. Go on in and report to the Acolyte and she'll give you your assignment. They should be just about finished with their meeting in the big chamber."
: "Any idea what's going on around here?"

: "Know anything about this place?"
: He shakes his head. "As far as can tell, we're underneath First Fires. Probably under that ruined temple."

Best to move on before we raise any further suspicion.

Someone has a lot of money to throw around. Kept the temple in decent condition too, considering.

There's someone decidedly less armed worth talking to at north of the temple.

: "That's it! I knew I'd left something at home."
: "Well, don't let anyone inside see you without it. They're keen on anonymity."
: "Can I borrow your hood?"

We've already got one, but here's another option if you missed the corpse earlier.

: "I promise I'll bring it right back."
: "I guess there's no harm... Just don't tell anyone I gave it to you."
: Aloth leans toward you and mutters between clenched teeth. "You can't be serious."

You don't understand our smooth super-spy ways, Aloth, we forgive you.

: "Tell me about the meeting."

Super smooth.

: "What do you know about these tasks?"
: He laughs nervously. "Only what I absolutely need to. We protect the secrets of the gods, so discretion is essential."
: He waves a hand between the two of you. "We receive our instructions from the Acolyte, just as she receives hers from someone else, and so on, right up to the Grandmaster. Our role is to obey, knowing as little about the overall plan - and each other - as possible."
: "Tell me about these secrets."

I don't think I can emphasise enough how smooth we are being here.

: He jumps back. "You shouldn't even be asking! Whatever they are, they're secrets for a reason. Our job is to guard them, not to know them."
: "How can you be confident you're doing the right thing when you know so little?"
: He snorts. "That's easy. The Leaden Key has been around for ages by the blessing of the gods. You only have to look around to see the perils of trying to usurp divine power. Killing a god in the Saint's War has cursed us all, and the heresy of animancy has only worsened matters. Try to replace a soul, and you inevitably end up with a monster."
: "It's all been a warning. There are some powers we just shouldn't have."
: "We've been entrusted with important work. It's an honor, but not without its challenges."

: "What are you doing here?"

: "Why are you nervous?"
: He stops in his tracks. "I've never seen the Acolyte's face, but I can't stop wondering what she looks like under that robe..." He twists his fingers together. "And when she peers into my mind, I'm afraid she'll catch me thinking about that."
: You hear him swallow. "Also, if I get the passphrases wrong, she'll kill me where I stand."

Kana's would-be killer may have been on the upper edge of this organisation's competency.

: "You should just stop thinking about it."
: "I know!" He grabs the sides of his robe. "But the more I tell myself to stop thinking about it, the more I think about it!"
: "You can practice on me."

The passphrase, before you get confused.

: "Okay." He ushers in a deep breath with fluttering hands. "Here goes. First question - State your name and purpose. Answer - My name belongs to the gods and my hand to their service."
: "Second question - What company do you seek? Answer - I seek the company of shadows, that our labors may remain secret."
: "Third question - Tell me of your labors. Answer - To see that the craft of kith and wilder does not disturb what bones the gods have buried.
: "Fourth question - How do we know your purpose? Answer - You shall know it by the confession of my tongue, the deeds of my hand, and the oath on my soul."

: "Fifth question - And how is your oath guarded? Answer - It is sealed by the Leaden Key." He sighs with a nervous chuckle. "That wasn't so hard."
: "Sounds like you've got it."
: "I do! I think..." He bites his lip. "I'm just going to practice a few more times by myself before my meeting."

We let him get on with it, rummaging through the room behind him to snag some potions and a book.

But know, my sisters, that we must be ready to see the end of our days without the return of our Queen - for she will take back her throne, but it may be our daughters that serve the restored court. We must continue to live as we have always lived - hated by the other faiths, even though we place justice above our own well-being. At least the Empire of Aedyr still holds our creed in proper esteem. It is a proper sign of respect that, by imperial custom, our clergy must oversee a contract for it to be legally binding. For who else understands the value of remembering one oaths than Woedica's faithful? And let us not count our current blessings - for we still enjoy the support of the paladin order of The Steel Garrote - they too understand that society is built and broken by the oaths and rules of its people.

When Woedica takes back her throne, my family will know that I was right to commit my life to the Exiled Queen. When Woedica takes back her throne, the Strangler will stop being a story told to frighten our daughters, but a hero woven into parables that teach our children justice. When Woedica takes back her throne, she will bring her flawless memory with her - every transgression, every crime, and every injustice will be revealed. When Woedica takes back her throne, even gods won't be spared their due retribution.

She sounds nice. Let's not hang around here too long.

Aloth interrupts us again as we move through the temple.

: "Back, ye clod. Those hooded fyndes are nye to be trusted."
: "Mm, probably not, but that's no reason to be ru-" Kana glances over at Aloth, and frowns. "Aloth? Are you unwell?"
: "Aloth, hey, now's not the best time for... that."
: "Elf! Pull yourself together."
: He grimaces, catching his breath. "It's nothing. I'm fine." He coughs again. "This probably isn't the best place to linger, anyhow."

Just in case you forgot Aloth had something weird going on in the last minute or so.

: [Don the hood and mask.]

You pull the hood and mask over your head. They're uncomfortable, but they seem to hide your face.

This interaction works for Godlikes as well, with some dialogue changes, so you're not ruled out of putting on a disguise just because of something minor like 'your head will not stop burning'.

: [Continue into the chamber alone.]

Speaking of stealth, this is the part where we need to stop bumbling around. We have a limited number of hoods, so we'll just head in alone.

You open the door and stride into the chamber.

The woman turns toward you.

: "I've been waiting on your reports. Quickly, now."

The woman beckons you closer with curling fingers. She rests her open hand on your forehead, and you feel the heat from her palm through the thick material of your hood.

Her voice is so low and soft that you're not certain whether she's speaking aloud or in your head.

: "State your name and purpose."
: "My name belongs to the gods and my hand to their service."
: Her voice chimes again, rich and resonant. "What company do you seek?"
: "I seek the company of shadows, that our labors may remain secret."
: "Tell me of your labors."
: "To see that the craft of kith and wilder does not disturb what bones the gods have buried."

: "You shall know it by the confession of my tongue, the deeds of my hand, and the oath on my soul."
: "And how is your oath guarded?"
: "It is sealed by the Leaden Key."
: Her voice reaches you as a whisper slithering first into one ear and then the other. "Welcome, Attendant. Tell me of your exploits."

In your mind, you see a building, magnificent with trellises and tiles and located on a pristine boulevard. The wealthy and learned stroll in and out, trading knowledge and coin.

If you don't know, blag it. Whatever a cipher is, doesn't look like they're perfect mind-readers.

: "No."

The Acolyte's vision takes you out of Defiance Bay and to a town in the wilderness with a watermill. A signpost on one of the paths reads "Dyrford." Several figures huddle together, shrouded in cloaks and hoods.

An image of ruins suddenly looms in your mind. Two skeletal effigies flank a cleft in a mountainside.

: "Did they arrive?"
: "Yes."

: "Stop him. And above all..." You see a woman, deathly pale with a scar over her heart. "...Don't let him meet her."

The Acolyte shows you a door in the base of the tower, a seemingly impenetrable slab of stone and copper. But then she shows you the invisible split between the perfectly matched halves, and you understand how the copper veins convert a command into action. The command comes to your mind, a surprising familiarity about it.

You know how to open the door.

That's a nice bag of leads this time. We're almost done here. One last thing to wrap up.

: "Actually, I'm here to stop you."

Incompetent assassins or not, best not to risk leaving them alive.

The Leaden Key members are all mostly casters with a few melee mixed in; it would've made more sense to attack after the conversation and gather our party for it, but where's the fun in that?

We run Mathilda back. Thanks to general dickishness and her order roleplaying bonuses, her paladin defences are higher than Edér's and she only gets a few scratches. We leave them enough room to get through the door and clump up, then our casters let loose.

The downside to a fight with half a dozen casters is you're going to be blinded by spell effects. Another reason to kill 'em first. The circling shields are Spirit Shield, by the way, a Wizard spell that provides the caster a small DR and concentration boost that I don't think I've ever willingly casted. Maybe it's better than it sounds and these guys are onto something, I don't know.

The fight finishes up fast; Mathilda's the only one who took much damage. The main story fight rarely throws too much at us, Caed Nua's shadows aside. The chamber of the temple is now open to us.

Should you attack off the bat or screw up the stealth approach, the ghost of the acolyte will be interactable here to see the visions anyway. There's only one time I can think of in the game where sudden violence gives you a real game over.

This is the most interesting item they drop; it's the way out of here. Bring it to a lever near the top of the room, and yet another hidden door opens.

Maybe secret passageways are just a thing that Dyrwoodan temples have. For the best, considering how many of them have been attacked so far.

We can't return the hood- the entire temple's an enemy now after we slaughtered their local cult leader. A shame.

Taking the secret passageway we end up back in the First Fires. And this blatant DLC-is-available system message; could've been more subtle, Obsidian, but at least it's not a guy sitting in our camp telling us about all the expansions we haven't bought.

Aloth decides it is finally, finally a good time for a heart-to-heart. Next time, detours and an overdue confession.

AnEndcat fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 27, 2018

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Huh! You know, at some point quite early in that area, I think I just put the hood and cloak on, and then just walked my main character in solo to do some sneaking-mission stuff, on the assumption that a big pack of obviously-not-Woedica worshippers would probably lead to me fighting the entire place. Like you, I bullshitted my way through the talk with the Acolyte and got my leads - but I just turned around and walked out again, so I'm pretty sure I never got that key. Then again, I guess I didn't need it, either - without starting anything, you CAN just leave.

e: reading comprehension is hard sometimes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One quest giver wants that locket back, I think he's even in Copperlane.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Aloth's early interactions always bugged me. It seems like writers cannot figure out how to properly present a character that wants to talk, but is afraid to do so, so you get these small pointless scenes that add nothing other than a new tickmark to "actual content"

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Sidequest stuff

We'll be back to Copperlane, don't you worry. It's a minor thing, but try not to talk too much about future sidequests until we get to them (unless it's really, really obvious I've missed it). As far as I know, that locket isn't the one you're thinking of; it has a different name entirely. The quest still requires us to go through the motions, alas.

AnEndcat fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 28, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You know, I've never actually done Aloth's quest. I'm pretty sure I've guessed his deal, but I've no idea how it plays out.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You know, I've never actually done Aloth's quest. I'm pretty sure I've guessed his deal, but I've no idea how it plays out.

It's actually kind of two-parted. We get one bit here and it's entirely possible (like I did in my playthrough) to not get any follow-up about him, especially if you don't bring him around anywhere.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, can't really blame the innocent pawns in this murder conspiracy for flipping on us when we murdered all their leaders.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Glazius posted:

Well, can't really blame the innocent pawns in this murder conspiracy for flipping on us when we murdered all their leaders.

Can murder them too, though.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So woedica isn’t worshipped in dyrwood at all? Sort of a eothas deal?

Will you get any more information on god politics and how the pantheon looks?

(I bought this game the day it came out but haven’t gotten further then caed nua)

Might try a cipher? Are those a good option for a play through?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Affi posted:

So woedica isn’t worshipped in dyrwood at all? Sort of a eothas deal?

Will you get any more information on god politics and how the pantheon looks?

(I bought this game the day it came out but haven’t gotten further then caed nua)

Might try a cipher? Are those a good option for a play through?

The people of Dyrwood basically worship Magran and Gallawain over the rest. In Readceras they worship Eathos. And in the Empire of Aedyr, contracts are only legally binding if they are overseen by a priest of Woedica. So it varies from country to country. But Eothas followers were/are victims of an active pogrom against them in Dyrwood, which is not the case for Woedica worshipers. I guess there are just less of them for some reason?

Ciphers are pretty cool, and can be very powerful if played correctly. SA's own Hieronimous Alloy has written several good cipher guides on Steam, I can link them for you if you are interested. And they are not bad as a main character for story purposes.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Ciphers are pretty cool, and can be very powerful if played correctly. SA's own Hieronimous Alloy has written several good cipher guides on Steam, I can link them for you if you are interested. And they are not bad as a main character for story purposes.

drat HA writes a lot of guides. Link please?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Donkringel posted:

drat HA writes a lot of guides. Link please?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=871584933

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Thank you!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I usually don't bother dealing with this group of Leaden Key either, although I believe I did on my first playthrough. We get gifted such a simple way to sneak in and gather info, why ruin it?

I had forgotten how much Durance talks, that update was pretty ridiculously wordy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just got caught up on this let's play and I love it. Are we having more? I want more. Please give me more.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

I usually don't bother dealing with this group of Leaden Key either, although I believe I did on my first playthrough. We get gifted such a simple way to sneak in and gather info, why ruin it?

I had forgotten how much Durance talks, that update was pretty ridiculously wordy.

There are a handful of really wordy NPCs in this game. I found talking to them relatively entertaining, but I also don't particularly mind :words: galore in my western-style RPGs, since it's usually happening on my terms when it happens. That said, I'm sure it's kind of a pain to transcribe for updates!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

chaosapiant posted:

Just got caught up on this let's play and I love it. Are we having more? I want more. Please give me more.

I really hope so cause I don't have time to play through this game :/

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, Deadfire (PoE II) is coming out on Tuesday, so there ought to be a hiatus coming up.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just reinstalled it and am playing with a cipher now.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Affi posted:

Just reinstalled it and am playing with a cipher now.
Same here, I finally conquered my alt-itis and went with a shotgun Cipher.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

Same here, I finally conquered my alt-itis and went with a shotgun Cipher.

Barbarian here (because I'm addicted to melee PCs, apparently), but otherwise, same. I wanna see what the game is like when the expansion content shows up at the level it's actually supposed to.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
In which order should I do White March, Main Story and Endless Labyrinth? Just take bite sized nibbles from all of them?

I'm just after where our hero psycho paladin is currently.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I did all of white march in act 2, though you can go back and forth and might want to save WM2 until you level up some more depending on your difficulty. Point of no return is obvious in the main game's plot.

Do Endless Labyrinth whenever you feel like it, there are shortcuts back to the surface every few levels so those are good break points. I marathoned the whole thing in my just finished storytime difficulty playthrough and almost burned out on it.

For what its worth my attempt at a completionist playthrough of the full game and both expansions including all tasks and bounties took around 40 hours playing on storytime difficulty. I wanted to zip through it since I hadn't seen WM1/2 yet and wanted a refresher of the main plot before starting Deadfire. Storytime just let me fast speed sprint everywhere and autoattack everything to death except when I ran into a certain expansion optional encounter the alpine dragon under the waterfall while underleveled and got my only total party kill.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Act II doesn't scale, so I think the smoothest path is to wrap up act II first, then do both White March parts and enabling level scaling for act III. Endless Paths can be done in chunks or all at once at level 10-11-ish. You should at least pop into the White March once you can handle the initial fight and pick up the party members, though. There's too much content in the game for you to not be overleveled somewhere if you try to be completionist, though.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Found and read through this entire thread in a day. Loving it...as I love screenshot LPs of isometric RPGs like this.

I hope it's still going. Never played much of PoE but I guess I should try and remedy that soon.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Heir03 posted:

Found and read through this entire thread in a day. Loving it...as I love screenshot LPs of isometric RPGs like this.

I hope it's still going. Never played much of PoE but I guess I should try and remedy that soon.

I had it bookmarked for months and only just now came back to it. I finished it and then saw the last few posts. I hope this continues as well. I kind of enjoyed playing this? But I think I went to White March too early, or else I just had a bad character (could have been, Kind Wayfarer paladin was kind of boring), and ended up just giving up because fights were becoming a slog.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well, Deadfire (PoE II) is coming out on Tuesday, so there ought to be a hiatus coming up.

Why would there need to be a hiatus? Because OP will be busy with new game or a rule of some sort?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Heir03 posted:

Why would there need to be a hiatus? Because OP will be busy with new game or a rule of some sort?

The former, more than likely.

The Changeling posted:

I had it bookmarked for months and only just now came back to it. I finished it and then saw the last few posts. I hope this continues as well. I kind of enjoyed playing this? But I think I went to White March too early, or else I just had a bad character (could have been, Kind Wayfarer paladin was kind of boring), and ended up just giving up because fights were becoming a slog.

Paladins, Barbarians, and Fighters are among the simpler classes in terms of moving pieces, but fights have been pretty brisk as far as I recall/have seen in my replay with a different PC. Barbarians are definitely nice for their ability to carve through the little ones as a largely incidental action. You might be in WM too early; there's no level scaling down for it, only up.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Heir03 posted:

Because the sequel just came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Yeaaah, apologies for the radio silence. I've not had time for the sequel, though hearing about the usual Obsidian launch bugs that's probably for the best. I was hoping I'd have more free time in the coming months, but barring an easier commute or a surprise firing it doesn't look like it's going to be the case at this point, so I'm putting this LP on indefinite hiatus instead of dragging things along. Hopefully I'll be able to come back to it in the not so distant future, but for now, sorry, and thank you all for following along up to this point!

• Locked thread