Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Alright so to start off, this is still my first PC that I built about 3 years ago now.
I hosed up building it the first time by not using the standoff screws for the motherboard and fried just about everything in the PC and so over the next fews months after buying a new mobo and GPU, I had issues.

Obviously more things were damaged than I thought, ended up replacing the PSU too since it croaked at some point after that, then I tried OCing the gpu and bricked it, got a new one after that too.

Things were mostly fine for the next 2 years but then I noticed my PC would... every 3 months or so, turn on and off again in rapid succession and the only way to fix it would be to reseat the ram for some reason.

Only this time, about a week ago after I did that... I noticed everything was running like poo poo now, games that I could easily get a consistent 60 FPS in would choke and stutter and drop down to the 10s frequently.

I thought that the ram finally had enough and so I replaced it too, upgraded to 16gbs instead of 8... only now I see zero difference at all.

I've tried putting them in different slots to no avail.
I tried reinstalling my graphics drivers(completely clean reinstall) to no avail.
And then I ran a system test with Hot CPU Tester which turned up nothing, also ran a memory diagnostic that turned up nothing.

This leads me to believe it could be software related or the probably goes even deeper... like maybe I put it off for too long and actually damaged my memory slots?

Here's my rig and the OS and all that jazz:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Deakul/saved/3vBnTW

I'll try to answer any other questions but this is all just very strange to me and I'm not 100% on any of the causes, I feel like I probably should have replaced EVERYTHING all over again after the initial mobo fry years ago but I was strapped for cash and could only do it piece meal.

I live in the US and I've tried googling the poo poo out of this but it feels like I have a pretty unique case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd use onboard video temporarily and see if it performs any better. Also, run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health: https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

The Corsair CX 500W is a weaker PSU for that system. The CX isn't the greatest line so I wouldn't use that one unless you were using a lighter system. Depending on how old it is it could be failing.

PSU recommendations:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774409#post459415953

Deakul posted:

...like maybe I put it off for too long and actually damaged my memory slots?

That's doubtful.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh whoops, I actually changed that psu last year but forgot to update my part list.

It's an evga supernova 750w now, I hope that's strong enough.

I'll definitely give that hd health checker a try next time I'm around my pc though, thanks.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 21, 2017

• Locked thread