Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ape
Jul 20, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_E1S4vETJw

Found this strange beast on craigslist over the weekend:

Some lunatic installed a ZZ4 350 crate motor and Borg Warner T56 6 speed.
I think it's still on the stock suspension, so it basically handles like a land yacht.

It's really hard to drive it without laughing like an idiot the entire time (possibly fumes-related).

It came with an ugly Kenwood cd player complete with hacked up wiring harness. I grabbed an OEM head unit and bolted it in yesterday, but I haven't found replacement wiring for it yet.

Gotta start stockpiling cassettes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI

The wiring under the steering column needs some work. After jiggling a bunch of connections I was able to get the dash and tail lights working again. It's always a good sign when you find boxes of fuses in the car.

Hopefully I can get the digital dash apart and clean the displays out. It's nearly impossible to read during the day even with the tinting.

I'd also like to get the phonograph (of course it has a phonograph) working again. Guessing it just needs to be wired back up as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hJBko3-oV4

There's a bit of smoke coming from the oil breather, hoping it's nothing too serious. Anyone have any ideas what could cause it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQXim3jbCdk

e: someone fix the palm trees :(

ape fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The ZZ4 used to be a pretty potent recipe back in the day and it's probably still pretty good now. So at least whoever did the swap spent a little bit of money and didn't just fart a 305 out of a junkyard Malibu into it.

How is the spare tire well rust? This was my first and last Z31 300ZX:

I used to really hate the 280ZX but it's grown on me quite a bit.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 21, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
:stare: I foresee good things from this thread.

ape
Jul 20, 2009
I haven't gotten all the way in there, but it doesn't look awful so far. Once the new struts for the hatch show up I can check without breaking my back.

I was trying to hold out for a 240z but this was too nice to pass up. Pham Nuwen I blame you for all of this.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Oh my this is stellar.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

ape posted:

e: someone fix the palm trees :(

There I fixed it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yessssssßßß

ape
Jul 20, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

There I fixed it.

ty

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

ape posted:

There's a bit of smoke coming from the oil breather, hoping it's nothing too serious. Anyone have any ideas what could cause it?

Smoke or condensation? I know nothing about this engine, but possibly an incorrectly set up PCV system?

I love how quiet and normal sounding the engine is in there. The working gauge cluster is :allears:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

OP - sweet car!

BoostCreep posted:

The working gauge cluster is :allears:

Aside from the warning display.:v: But I'd guess there's only a handful of Zs out there with one that actually works properly these days. drat thing even monitored the electrolyte level in the battery.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
OP what are your feelings on louvers. :getin:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Ohhhh yeah you got a 2+2. Hahahahaha this is gonna fuckin' own

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Yeah, louvers are a must.. will have to track some down. I filled it up Saturday night and it's already down to half a tank. The trip meter is dead so I'm not certain, but the mpg must be approaching single digit territory.

ape fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 22, 2017

ape
Jul 20, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

Smoke or condensation? I know nothing about this engine, but possibly an incorrectly set up PCV system?

I love how quiet and normal sounding the engine is in there. The working gauge cluster is :allears:

Yeah could be the PCV, will look into it more once the manuals I ordered get here. The previous owner said he swapped the vacuum connection going to the brake booster check valve from one spot on the manifold to another, so it might be related to that.
He was like 90% done replacing all the brake lines with stainless and braided hoses. Just one small one left to do on the rear passenger side.

The wiring or solder joints for the fuel gauge are having issues as well, it went out last night and came back this morning.
From this picture I found it looks like I should be able to clean the lenses in front of the gauges.

So far I haven't been able to find a decently priced stereo harness. Mine looks very similar to this, with the connectors cut off and spliced onto a DIN style plug:

ape fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 23, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh god.

Does the original stereo have plugs like these plugs? If so, order that, it's a reverse harness intended to fix this kind of PO fuckery. But they don't specifically list the 280 as an application for that, so there's a chance it may not be the right one (I checked both Scosche and Metra and couldn't find a reverse harness specific to the 280ZX :sigh:). If those are at least the right plugs, you can probably figure out what wire does what and wire it appropriately.

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Thanks. I actually ordered a set that looks just like that from eBay last night. I found a wiring diagram as well, so it shouldn't be too hard to get working. This is my karma for doing the same thing in my Miata a few years ago.

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Just installed a leather wrap for the disintegrating steering wheel. Feels a lot better than the loose walmart crap that was on there.
They're pretty easy to install, took around an hour.

A fourth wheel cap and new struts for the hatch also came today.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A V8, a carb, GM ignition, and a manual? You've already solved so many of my pain points with the 280ZX.

The ZZ4 is about as straightforward as a small block comes. Check to make sure the PCV isn't clogged. Or, if you're me 15 years ago with some roasted rings, just add more breathers until it stops blowing the dipstick out.

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Haha, yeah. I popped the PCV out and it seems to work fine. I'm going to order a new breather to see if that has any effect on the smoking.

New hatch struts are in. I also got a replacement radiator hose to replace the leaky one that it has currently.

The AC seems to actually work, but I'd like to replace the automatic controller with a manual one.

The fuel gauge is still touch and go. Probably going to have to resolder the board.

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Managed to get both the brake booster and PCV hooked up at the same time. Forgot to grab hose clamps.

It seems to have helped. Haven't seen any more smoke out of the breather so far.

Also ordered a low-mileage digital dash. Mine has this weird etching or fogginess inside and the fuel gauge only works every few days.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That looks almost like a layer within the plastic overlay is damaged.

Sun and/or heat damage if I had to guess?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Excellent more Z owners!

ape
Jul 20, 2009
I've been researching more about the gas smell, wondering if it's the same issue this guy ran into:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH8mjYbwA30

He was able to fix it by making a new gasket. He also mentioned the PCV is responsible for pulling fumes through the filter, so that's another thing to investigate.

Managed to get a flat tire already somehow :argh:. The new digital dash should be here this weekend.

ape
Jul 20, 2009
I pinged a guy on craigslist about some l/o/u/v/e/r/s/ so we'll see what happens with that. Trying to track down a spoiler as well, but they're hard to find.

Digital dash refurb is good to go. Just have to rent a steering wheel puller this weekend.

Suede dash mat ready to be covered in 16 different colors/species of hair as soon as it's in.

Next up is all the belts and rubber hoses, as nice as the screeching is while it's warming up in the morning. Cheaper than coffee. I'll probably replace the other three tires as well. They're a bit dry rotted and I don't want to have one more worn than the rest.

ape fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 15, 2017

ape
Jul 20, 2009
New instruments are in.

I rented a steering wheel puller but wound up not using it. Guessing the wheel has been off a few times before.

I left the sensor warning light disconnected since it wasn't doing any good, anyway. Fixed the connection for engine temp after these pics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPvhuKd3VME
It's really nice being able to read the speedo for a change!

I also switched the PCV and brake boost vacuum connections to see if it has any effect on the amount of boost. It could use a little more. Also finally added some hose clamps, since they weren't on there very tight.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

:krad:, literally.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ha, I had forgotten the dual-range analog fuel gauge on our '79 280ZX - I didn't realize they kept that for the digital dash too.

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Finished installing the dash mat this morning.

I need to look into the throttle linkage. It likes to stick wide open when it's cold out.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

ape posted:

Finished installing the dash mat this morning.

I need to look into the throttle linkage. It likes to stick wide open when it's cold out.

That looks dope.

Don't you love throttles sticking? My first rabbit would do it when cold, and it was the secondary throttle plate on the TB that stuck. Just enough to hit redline and scare the crap out of you. I'd suggest cleaning the spring linkages thoroughly and applying some spray-on lubricant, like lithium grease.

ape
Jul 20, 2009

sharkytm posted:

That looks dope.

Don't you love throttles sticking? My first rabbit would do it when cold, and it was the secondary throttle plate on the TB that stuck. Just enough to hit redline and scare the crap out of you. I'd suggest cleaning the spring linkages thoroughly and applying some spray-on lubricant, like lithium grease.

Haha, Thanks. Pumped the gas to help it start last week and it started at redline and scared the poo poo out of me. Combined with the squealing serpentine belts, haha. Need to figure out the correct lengths to replace them. I sprayed the linkages with some brake cleaner. I'll give the lithium grease a shot too.

Picked up some louvers. Hoping to get the radio wire harness I need from the same guy soon.
Does anyone know how I can straighten out the bends? I was thinking about taking them off and sandwiching between some wood. Not sure how hard they are to get apart yet. Failing that maybe take it to a body shop to have it repaired.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ape posted:

Haha, Thanks. Pumped the gas to help it start last week and it started at redline and scared the poo poo out of me. Combined with the squealing serpentine belts, haha. Need to figure out the correct lengths to replace them. I sprayed the linkages with some brake cleaner. I'll give the lithium grease a shot too.

Picked up some louvers. Hoping to get the radio wire harness I need from the same guy soon.
Does anyone know how I can straighten out the bends? I was thinking about taking them off and sandwiching between some wood. Not sure how hard they are to get apart yet. Failing that maybe take it to a body shop to have it repaired.

If they're anything like mine (RIP) the horizontal slats are tack-welded at best to the vertical support bars. Are yours aluminum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Yeah, I think so. Haven't done a magnet test but there's no rust.

• Locked thread