Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Dota 2 players in the Netherlands can now see what's in loot boxes before they open them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

oh man the sales rate is gonna crash when players see that their next box is 100% guaranteed garbage

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Prav posted:

oh man the sales rate is gonna crash when players see that their next box is 100% guaranteed garbage

"But the one after that might have something good"

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Sefal posted:

"But the one after that might have something good"

yeah it's not gonna fix everyone, but it's certainly gonna leave a mark

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
On that same topic and rocket league

https://www.gamesradar.com/rocket-league-loot-box-percentages-revealed-including-the-1-chance-of-black-market-items/

quote:

In a blog post on the official Rocket League site, Psyonix breaks down the chance you have to receive each level of customization item via a Rocket League Crate (what Psyonix calls its loot boxes). They are:

Rare item: 55%
Very Rare item: 28%
Import item: 12%
Exotic item: 4%
Black Market item: 1%
Chance of receiving Painted attribute: 25%
Chance of receiving Certified attribute: 25%

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
It's troubling that people still use the self-serving marketing term "loot box" instead of the more accurate "gamble box" for these, shame!

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
The ol' No-Armed-Bandit

Svensken
May 29, 2010

This still doesn't show the chance for getting individual items, although it probably could be calculated.

Still, seems odd - petty even - that they'd resort to such an obvious half measure.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Svensken posted:

This still doesn't show the chance for getting individual items, although it probably could be calculated.

Still, seems odd - petty even - that they'd resort to such an obvious half measure.

From Valve this is just about what I'd expect. The odd part to me is that this is somehow an acceptable fix to the regulators. It's such an obvious letter-of-the-law solution - and I expect one that requires a pretty wide interpretation of that law. I had expected more from my country, this is weak.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You know exactly what the odds are of a particular number coming up on the roulette wheel, but you don't see anyone calling it "not gambling".

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
EA refuses to comply with Belgium law and won't remove lootboxes from FIFA as reported by Jim Sterling and countless others. Court case looking increasingly likely and it couldn't have happened to a worse, more greedy company.

Then Finland launched their own investigation into lootboxes.

Soon followed by a whopping 15 countries more + Washington State! Oh, and Australia has already done a study, deeming lootboxes to be gambling! :woop:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kind of hoping they slap EA with a big fine and they refuse to pay.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Still love how their greed ultimately bit them all in the rear end and im glad too as micro transactions need to die

but they never will.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I hope that Belgium petitions the EU to ban all lootboxes and then all games published by EA, gently caress that company

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
October 2018: local Belgium elections
May 2019: regional & federal Belgian elections

I've suddenly acquired psychic powers. I am the loving Kwisatz Haderach, and here is my vision of the present and future.

EA is refusing to pull lootboxes because they want Belgium to block sales of FIFA 19. When that happens, EA will make a bunch of mealy statements about how they just want to make games for the fans, and they're so sorry the Belgian government won't let them have the game they want. Then they'll announce special Belgium-only additional support for FIFA 18. "For the fans." New players, roster updates for Belgian clubs, that kinda of thing. FIFA might be blocked from digital distribution and sale in stores, but the second-hand market is impossible to stop.

Then they're gonna use the in-game text crawl that every game has now to tell all the FIFA 18 players to "make their voice heard". These are the election dates. Go vote. Check this website for politicians that want to let you keep playing FIFA.

EA isn't looking to force a legal case to say lootboxes aren't gambling. They know they can't win that. They're gonna try for something bigger.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Klyith posted:

October 2018: local Belgium elections
May 2019: regional & federal Belgian elections

I've suddenly acquired psychic powers. I am the loving Kwisatz Haderach, and here is my vision of the present and future.

EA is refusing to pull lootboxes because they want Belgium to block sales of FIFA 19. When that happens, EA will make a bunch of mealy statements about how they just want to make games for the fans, and they're so sorry the Belgian government won't let them have the game they want. Then they'll announce special Belgium-only additional support for FIFA 18. "For the fans." New players, roster updates for Belgian clubs, that kinda of thing. FIFA might be blocked from digital distribution and sale in stores, but the second-hand market is impossible to stop.

Then they're gonna use the in-game text crawl that every game has now to tell all the FIFA 18 players to "make their voice heard". These are the election dates. Go vote. Check this website for politicians that want to let you keep playing FIFA.

EA isn't looking to force a legal case to say lootboxes aren't gambling. They know they can't win that. They're gonna try for something bigger.

Nice fanfic

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Soon the Lootbox Lobby will control the EU.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How meaningful even are their sales in belgium compared to worldwide? My suspicion is they don’t care enough to make a separate version just for belgium, so they’re going to be flippant until the government blocks sales in that country and then just cut their losses, since they think that will cost them less than the alternative.

Unless Belgium sales are way higher than I presume they are

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
belgium is loving bonkers for football, afaik. dunno if that helps counteract their small size, but...

also, i'm pretty sure this is less about belgium and more about them admitting this is actually gambling, which would look incredibly bad in not-belgium. all the other companies went "we removed lootboxes in belgium because their interpretation of their own gambling law is wrong", nobody's said "we removed gambling from our games" yet.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Digirat posted:

How meaningful even are their sales in belgium compared to worldwide? My suspicion is they don’t care enough to make a separate version just for belgium, so they’re going to be flippant until the government blocks sales in that country and then just cut their losses, since they think that will cost them less than the alternative.

Unless Belgium sales are way higher than I presume they are

This is why it's good that there are now more and more countries following suit on this. Valve's reaction to the dutch gambling authority was to just remove the illegal stuff with no other changes in the dutch version only, but a less lethargic corporation looking at a larger scale ban may eventually do more about it, going from re-balancing the game for the affected population, to re-balancing the game for everyone, to not including loot boxes at all.

They'll never admit fault but at some point being less lovely may end up being better for their bottom line.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
2K Games already did that didn't they? The "telling players to make their voices heard" part anyway. They did remove the lootboxes though, for the moment at least.

E: oh wait I see what you're saying, that they'll use that as a bigger lever if the game is banned outright.

Ferrous fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 25, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Selling their game in Belgium is not critical to their bottom line. (Especially when you take into account how easy it is for the audience to be the one that circumvents bans and buys it anyways. People in australia were buying non-australian versions of games for years when their gov't was all censor-happy.)

Not having exploitative lootbox revenue streams worldwide, because other countries follow suit? That poo poo *is* their bottom line. EA went from being a sick-looking company -- people were writing biz articles about MS buying them out -- to crazy profitable on the back of that. The guy who made FIFA Ultimate Team is their CEO now. That's how big a deal it was. The #2 risk to their whole company is that governments start cracking down on them.

The #1 risk is that people get tired of it and stop dumping their money into soccer card packs on their own, but there's not a lot they can do about that one.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EA decided that the cost of removing lootboxes from the Belgium version was greater than X percent of the profit they expect to make in Belgium without lootboxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Should jail the video game execs for breaking gambling laws imo, should go after them with RICO in the US.

• Locked thread