Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

My parents are also apparently on the Bernie would have won train but they also have spent a lot of time bitching about Soros and the Clintons.

Soros and the Clintons are both bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

my extended family is weird, despite being pretty lower middle class white southerners in louisiana my grandfather who was the patriarch of the family was a liberal catholic. they had 6 kids and only one of my uncles bucked that and is republican, rest of them remain liberal. there was a larger debate about bernie vs hillary than about trump, who basically everyone except the one uncle (who got rich on austin real estate in the 90s and is now is a big time contributor to the tex GOP, hes very establishment republican frat boy type, generally avoids the rest of the family) agrees is terrible. i genuinely like getting together with my moms family because theyre all loud coonasses who drink a lot.

my dads side is more standard southern baptist racist conservative, but its small and spread out across the south so we very rarely get together. before my parents got divorced the family politics fights would generally be between my dad and rich uncle vs the rest of my moms family.

My mothers side have been leftists since they immigrated here in the early 1800's and settled in and around colorado. Love guns (still in favor of gun control weirdly), hunting, and government run programs. My fathers side of the family have been democrats going back to the literal founding of the party and all the :yikes: that entails. Half switched to the GOP when the southern realignment happened.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
this liberal intellectual get together has turned into a slightly incesty dance party

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

My mothers side have been leftists since they immigrated here in the early 1800's and settled in and around colorado. Love guns (still in favor of gun control weirdly), hunting, and government run programs. My fathers side of the family have been democrats going back to the literal founding of the party and all the :yikes: that entails. Half switched to the GOP when the southern realignment happened.

Your dad's family is basically my extended family except they only jumped ship in 2008 because being coal miners they valued unions more than racism. Obama winning the primary broke their brains and most went full tea party. They all worshipped the Clintons but 8 years of Fox News and Hilary saying the mines aren't coming back convinced them to vote for Trump instead of sitting out the election last year. The ones who still bring up politics alternate between talking about how they got conned and telling me I don't need to worry about the boomers retiring by the time I finish grad school, because Trump's going to kick all the foreigners out and free up all sorts of jobs.

My parents are also Clinton worshippers and didn't vote in 08 but came to their senses after about 6 months. Took my mom a long time to admit people felt Palin was unqualified because she was stupid and not because she was a woman though.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

this liberal intellectual get together has turned into a slightly incesty dance party

https://twitter.com/Nerdonic/status/933846539809804288

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bip Roberts posted:

I just pooped my pants at the dinner table to own my inlaws.

awesome

Vanilla Ice
Jun 13, 2002

Fuck The Eradicator
My visiting in-law is in training to be an Air Force officer and didn't even know he was working for an unconstitutional entity! The truth is being suppressed, but I did my part to correct the record :911:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
*black friend of someone in gf's family walks in, starts introducing himself*

gf's dad to us: hey, what's that word that makes you guys so mad when i say? good thing we got plenty of trees huehuehuehue

gently caress my gf's family

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Flavius Belisarius posted:

gf's dad to us: hey, what's that word that makes you guys so mad when i say? good thing we got plenty of trees huehuehuehue

He threatened to lynch a dinner guest within 10 seconds of meeting them? Am I reading this correctly?

Holky gently caress.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yikes

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Volcott posted:

He threatened to lynch a dinner guest within 10 seconds of meeting them? Am I reading this correctly?

Holky gently caress.

i would dump someone over something like this tbh

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Challenge him to a duel

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is this the secret santa thread?

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

politics never came up, aunt's dinner was A+, I ate an entire pumpkin pie over the course of thursday/friday

p content with how this turkey genocide day turned out :cool:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol not even my racist dad’s side of the family in louisiana would do this and they say the n word a lot

they did get really upset when i mentioned a jewish gf once tho and my fat aunt who drove in from vidor started spouting off blood libel

i don’t visit them for the holidays anymore and telling that grandma that our new babby is interracial would probably kill her

Best Korea
Feb 15, 2012
Not political, but related - I returned home to discover my oxy addicted brother had pawned most of my PS4 games for drug money and tried to steal my PS3 but our parents pulled into the drive way before he could get it unhooked. That fucker pawned Resident Evil 7 and now I can't play next month's DLC when I get home for Xmas.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol not even my racist dad’s side of the family in louisiana would do this and they say the n word a lot

they did get really upset when i mentioned a jewish gf once tho and my fat aunt who drove in from vidor started spouting off blood libel

i don’t visit them for the holidays anymore and telling that grandma that our new babby is interracial would probably kill her

Do it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Best Korea posted:

Not political, but related - I returned home to discover my oxy addicted brother had pawned most of my PS4 games for drug money and tried to steal my PS3 but our parents pulled into the drive way before he could get it unhooked. That fucker pawned Resident Evil 7 and now I can't play next month's DLC when I get home for Xmas.

video games are for children, opioids are for grown rear end men

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Volcott posted:

Holky gently caress.

The charitable reading might be that its a monkey/savage reference. Thats probably being TOO charitable but I suppose its possible.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Best Korea posted:

Tell your brother that heroin is WAY cheaper than oxy nowadays and the mexican cartels have done a bang-up job of improving quality in recent years.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
oh no, he was definitely talking about lynching. he didn't say it while the guy was around. he was just trying to get under me and my girlfriend's skin, not that it makes it much better. i wasn't expecting to have such a wild contribution to this thread.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
My (jewish) stepmother suggested that one of her cats might be part jewish because he is so smart during thanksgiving. It's so nice when internet nazis and elitist coastal democrats can agree on something.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Over turkey, my mom asked if I wanted to go with her to see Rome. For background, a few years ago she had her come to Jesus moment, and has leaned hard into the Catholic aspect of her Filipino-ness ever since. She has been to Europe twice, but those were pilgrimages to Medjugorje, in Bosnia & Herzegovina--where, like in Fatima, Portugal and Villa da Guadalupe, Mexico, an apparition of the Virgin Mary appeared a couple times and turned their backwaters into massive tourist destinations. I figured it might actually be fun to go, until she revealed her impetus to see the Pope came from a fear that the Muslims might take over Europe in her lifetime, and I guess do to Rome what the Ottomans did to Constantinople :psyduck:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Autism Sneaks posted:

Over turkey, my mom asked if I wanted to go with her to see Rome. For background, a few years ago she had her come to Jesus moment, and has leaned hard into the Catholic aspect of her Filipino-ness ever since. She has been to Europe twice, but those were pilgrimages to Medjugorje, in Bosnia & Herzegovina--where, like in Fatima, Portugal and Villa da Guadalupe, Mexico, an apparition of the Virgin Mary appeared a couple times and turned their backwaters into massive tourist destinations. I figured it might actually be fun to go, until she revealed her impetus to see the Pope came from a fear that the Muslims might take over Europe in her lifetime, and I guess do to Rome what the Ottomans did to Constantinople :psyduck:

My friend's incredibly Greek dad once heard I wanted to go to Istanbul and he got real salty about it, first of all from calling it Istanbul. After I said said I wanted to see the Hagia Sophia:

Him, dismissively: They won't let you see it...

Me: Well I read it was closed for renovations earlier this year, but they said it was open to visitors again now.

Him, after thinking for a bit: They are Muslims. They LIE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Now I'm picturing the current countries of the former Ottoman Empire sitting around the table for Thanksgiving, hoping Assad doesn't go off on one of his rants or the Kurds don't make a scene

• Locked thread