Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Terminator is a little better because it has much better action scenes and it has more of an emotional impact. Robocop is more cerebral. Culturally Terminator also wins because it has Arnold and because its sequels were more successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Tumble posted:

plus, gunning down a bajillion cops in a police station aged a lot better than rooting for the unstoppable-privatized-policebot did. i mean don't get me wrong here, i get that Robocop is the "good guy" of the story, but in the end he only guns down like 1 white-collar criminal and then goes right back to being a cop in a fairly corrupt organization that's still probably in the pocket of OCP.

ethically, Terminator wins

Ah, but Robocop is the perfect police officer. He's incapable of corruption, racism, sexism. He won't shoot unarmed civilians because he's scared and twitchy. He won't use excessive force against suspects because he's pissed off (uh, the guys who killed him aside) (and rapists who take hostages, arguably, but I'm fine with that). He won't support his fellow cops who do all those things I mentioned up there. He won't do shady poo poo to support his corporate overlords; they may literally own him, but he's actually less of a puppet than the normal humans who are motivated by greed and ambition and work for them.

All of this, of course, says more about cops than Robocop, but hey, Murphy's a good boy.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Robocop chucks a man hes already detained out a window to his death. He's still a cop after all

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

FoolyCharged posted:

Robocop chucks a man hes already detained out a window to his death. He's still a cop after all

They really should've given him handcuffs. Literally the only way he has to subdue criminals is to shoot or beat them unconscious, because he immediately moves on (presumably messaging the police HQ to come pick up the mangled bodies he leaves behind).

I'm pretty sure it wasn't to his death, anyway. Only the first film is canon. ONLY THE FIRST FILM IS CANONNNNNNNNNNNNN.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

What? I thought we agreed on total body prosthesis. Now, lose the arm, okay?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I can't believe that Robotcop is a strikebreaking scab in robotcop 2. Smdh. Dude can cheat his programming to kill an ocp executive but somehow can't stand in solidarity with his proletarian brothers on the picket line? loving bullshit.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

communism bitch posted:

I can't believe that Robotcop is a strikebreaking scab in robotcop 2. Smdh. Dude can cheat his programming to kill an ocp executive

He didn't. He couldn't kill the OCP executive until the OCP executive was no longer an OCP executive.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Imagine if he had to wait for the paperwork to be done first and the P60 to be signed for.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

communism bitch posted:

I can't believe that Robotcop is a strikebreaking scab in robotcop 2. Smdh. Dude can cheat his programming to kill an ocp executive but somehow can't stand in solidarity with his proletarian brothers on the picket line? loving bullshit.

I don't even know if he's technically part of their collective bargaining unit at that point.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

He doesn't draw a salary or have any benefits. Legally he's a piece of equipment.

It would be as absurd as expecting a riot shield or the bullpen coffee machine to go on strike in solidarity.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 28, 2017

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Police Automaton posted:

I read the other day that the ER scene where they declare Murphy dead was actually filmed in an hospital with a real ER team. Explains why the doctor looks so frumpy and not like a movie doctor.

It would also explain the extremely deadpan acting, which up till now I thought was because cops getting shot in the head was just such an every day thing that they just can’t give two fucks anymore.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I actually really liked Robocop 2. RoboKain was a really neat design and one of the last stop motion effects I hear.

Dr Fax touched on the fact that you can't just stick any brain in a robot, the emotional toll of no longer having a body and a life is too much for many people to handle. Murphy didn't survive it because he was a cop, it was because he had a profound personal sense of duty. She knew exactly what to look for in a brain, because it wasn't their career or criminal history, but their id that determined the success of the transition.

Based on how janky looking the other two failed attempts looked, I'm going to assume they weren't actually intended to replace Robocop but rather be a proof of concept. Up to that point, Robocop was one of a kind but the problem was his designer (Morton) got killed. It would've been interesting to see what he would've done had he survived- my guess is that his ego and possessiveness would've insisted they keep the basic design consistent so he could maintain political control within OCP. I mean, compare how different the final design of RoboKain is compared to version 2.0 and 2.1- after having two of them go haywire it would be insane to risk having a nigh-indestructible killbot design. At the climax of the movie we see the design put to the test, able to survive being shot by a Cobra gun multiple times, falling off a skyscraper, blown up in a gas explosion, and smashed into a building by an APC.

The Old Man is a funny character, almost like a live action Mr Burns. He seems to have this interesting combination of geriatric eccentricity and sinister malevolence. Dr Fax knows exactly how to get his support, which obviously makes his other toadies really jealous (and making rivals jealous in OCP is a pretty deadly gambit). It's also interesting how he manages to make a better argument for the Delta City project over the mayor - they are going to rebuild Detroit into Delta City, restore jobs and lower crime. The mayor's objections are about people being relocated, but nobody else in the audience seem to care and he gets shushed.

The film also has a cynical ending in hindsight - in Robocop 3 we see that the Delta City project is proceeding as normally, we can also assume Dr Fax got made the sole scapegoat of the whole mess as well. So everything Robocop managed to do didn't change the status quo, but even he seems pragmatic enough to know it will take a long time to really change things in Detroit.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

RoboCop (1987) is, in retrospect, Paul Verhoven's utopian vision where a multiational megacorp cares enough about the post-industrial Hellscape of Detroit to want to headquarter itself there and renovate the whole city.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Panfilo posted:

At the climax of the movie we see the design put to the test, able to survive being shot by a Cobra gun multiple times, falling off a skyscraper, blown up in a gas explosion, and smashed into a building by an APC.

"This could look bad for OCP, Johnson. Scramble the best spin team we have."

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Panfilo posted:

The film also has a cynical ending in hindsight - in Robocop 3 we see that the Delta City project is proceeding as normally, we can also assume Dr Fax got made the sole scapegoat of the whole mess as well. So everything Robocop managed to do didn't change the status quo,

Also true of the first film

quote:

but even he seems pragmatic enough to know it will take a long time to really change things in Detroit.

At what point was he even trying to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

VideoTapir posted:

Also true of the first film

At what point was he even trying to do this?

When he zaps himself to overwrite the programming Dr Fax put in him (though Nice Robocop was pretty hysterical "DIRECTIVE 247: Don't run through puddles and splash pedestrians or other cars. ").

Drunken Baker posted:

"This could look bad for OCP, Johnson. Scramble the best spin team we have."
I like the way he says this, like the disaster was as mundane as spilling juice on the carpet or something. Also, I'm pretty sure Johnson is the only OCP official to be in all three Robocop movies.

• Locked thread