Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Emperor Canis Insaniam I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

The Nastier Nate posted:

I’ve always found it weird that there’s a lot of young Jewish American men who get a massive rager at the thought of going over Israel to join the IDF, like our government isn’t hard enough on poor middle easterns or something.

if you'd just listen to my twenty minute weekly coverage of professional wrestling on YouTube, in episode 290 I go into detail about how Bill Goldberg losing the Universal Championship to Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania 33, after four Spears and a Jackhammer(!), have left Jewish American youths with no hypermasculine role model to inspire and empower them at home, instead leading them to get their violent thrills putting boots on Arab necks abroad

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

I’ve always found it weird that there’s a lot of young Jewish American men who get a massive rager at the thought of going over Israel to join the IDF, like our government isn’t hard enough on poor middle easterns or something.

Speaking as a Jew, I saw this happen to one of the friends I went to Hebrew School with. I think a lot of it comes down to propaganda being blasted at you all the time, like in Hebrew School we only learned about Poor Plucky Liddle Israel getting warred on by all its mean neighbors and whatnot. Plus you have things like Birthright Israel where they give free trips to Jewish kids (including a free dose of even more propaganda, I'm sure).

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

WampaLord posted:

Speaking as a Jew, I saw this happen to one of the friends I went to Hebrew School with. I think a lot of it comes down to propaganda being blasted at you all the time, like in Hebrew School we only learned about Poor Plucky Liddle Israel getting warred on by all its mean neighbors and whatnot. Plus you have things like Birthright Israel where they give free trips to Jewish kids (including a free dose of even more propaganda, I'm sure).

I'm also a jew but a pretty lovely one. I've never been to Israel and I have no family there except a 4th cousin I met once when as a teenager and barely put it above the any other US friendly country in the world when it comes to foreign policy.

My wife went on birthright about 10 years (we were not married yet, just dating), I did not. It's some real indoctrination poo poo, but it's a free vacation so I don't blame anyone for taking it. The other side effect of it is they really want you to gently caress to the point of giving out condoms among a group of strangers that just met and going "now be safe kids! wink wink"

That being said, if I had a hankering to go shoot at middle-easterns in the name of imperalism, I'll join the good ol' US of A's army before the IDF.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If honoring the troops is enough to make people who aren't me sign up voluntarily, as opposed to having to do a draft where my name is in the jar, then I'm fine honoring the troops, thank you for your service.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Good troops report:

[quote="By Col. Robert D. Heinl, Jr.
Armed Forces Journal, 7 June 1971]
By every conceivable indicator, our army that now remains in Vietnam is in a state approaching collapse, with individual units avoiding or having refused combat, murdering their officers and non commissioned officers, drug-ridden, and dispirited where not near mutinous.
As early as mid-1969, however, an entire company of the 196th Light Infantry Brigade publicly sat down on the battlefield. Later that year, another rifle company, from the famed 1st Air Cavalry Division, flatly refused--on CBS-TV--to advance down a dangerous trail.
Symbolic anti-war fasts (such as the one at Pleiku where an entire medical unit, led by its officers, refused Thanksgiving turkey), peace symbols, "V"-signs not for victory but for peace, booing and cursing of officers and even of hapless entertainers such as Bob Hope, are unhappily commonplace.
These [underground] journals are not mere gripe-sheets that poke soldier fun in the "Beetle Bailey" tradition at the brass and the sergeants. "In Vietnam," writes the Ft Lewis-McChord Free Press, "the Lifers, the Brass, are the true Enemy, not the enemy." Another West Coast sheet advises readers: "Don't desert. Go to Vietnam and kill your commanding officer."
On the religious front, a community of turbulent priests and clergymen, some unfrocked, calls itself the Order of Maximilian. Maximilian is a saint said to have been martyred by the Romans for refusing military service as un-Christian. Maximilian's present-day followers visit military posts, infiltrate brigs and stockades in the guise of spiritual counseling, work to recruit military chaplains, and hold services of "consecrations" of post chapels in the name of their saintly draft-dodger.
[/quote]

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

platzapS posted:

Good troops report:

lol Boomers made such lovely troops

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My favorite troops are the veterans who use their veteran status to swindle hero worshipping bootlickers out of their money with products like woodburned american flags and lovely coffee.

They are loving everywhere in Utah.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Slippery Tilde

etalian posted:

Only something like 20% of US soldiers finish their GI Bill Education.

i'm just glad so many of them kept corporations like the university of phoenix profitable

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

etalian posted:

lol Boomers made such lovely troops

tbf a bunch of drafted Joes saying gently caress the brass and gently caress the suits because this war is bullshit is much preferable to the modern volunteer grunts all aspiring to the example of Chris Kyle

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

iSheep posted:

My favorite troops are the veterans who use their veteran status to swindle hero worshipping bootlickers out of their money with products like woodburned american flags and lovely coffee.

They are loving everywhere in Utah.

my favorite troops steal all their valor

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
smdh Troops thread and no one's posted "Troops"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EDiQXhYIKY

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
The other day I learned from one of my sons books that a group of chimpanzees is called a troop.

This has no relevance to “our Troops” I just thought it would be a fun fact To share.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Zeroisanumber posted:

smdh Troops thread and no one's posted "Troops"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EDiQXhYIKY

It was on page 2.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

im a former troop please spit on me

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Nastier Nate posted:

The other day I learned from one of my sons books that a group of chimpanzees is called a troop.

This has no relevance to “our Troops” I just thought it would be a fun fact To share.

also the name for a group of baboons

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

im a former troop please spit on me

spank you for your service LMAO

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DiscountDildos posted:

War is business and the troops are just getting sent to die for some rich man's money so whatever nothing matters.

We're probably months away from Trump announcing a new war because it will be great for jobs and army moms cheering it because they're excited about the likes their Facebook post about "my hero troopson died in a cave" is gonna get.

remember that lady who got crucified by the media for having the gall to protest iraq after her son got killed and got called everything from a terrorist sympathizer to a seditionist? It was really funny.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

paul_soccer10 posted:

If someone signs up for their country's military to take advantage of the benefits (paycheque, GI bill, etc.) does that make them a mercenary?
No, only if you join someone's else's country military

quote:

How is a Troop different than a hired gunman with a flag on their shoulder?
No difference, that doesn't necessary make them bad

quote:

Does respecting the Troops just reinforce militarism and/or imperialism, or is it possible to support the Troops and be anti militarist?
Support our troops bring them home

quote:

Why do american Troops rape so much?
all male soldiers rape so much, there's thousands of years worth of history where soldiers rape as part of the payoff for fighting

in the science fiction book god emperor of dune the god emperor made it so that all soldiers are women and that solved the rape problem

quote:

Do US Troops who volunteered for the military during or after the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq deserve to be killed or just imprisoned?
No, many of them are working class people who joined because patriotism propaganda by usa government and because they lacked alternative economic opportunities

quote:

If you don't stand behind the Troops, should you feel free to stand in front of them??
no

quote:

Whose army is it more moral to join: the US, Russia, or China?
it's a toss up between us and china

Typo has issued a correction as of 04:16 on Dec 11, 2017

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mariana Horchata posted:

we're losing this battle start fighting or i'll find someone who can!!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I was a troop. In the invasion of Iraq no less. The people loving cheered us. I had to be in the vehicle with this dude from KBR and he was talking all kinds of poo poo about the money he'd be making his company. I think he died a few years later. When I got sent back a few years later there was a Taco Bell on the base and everyone hated us. gently caress war. and gently caress being a troop, poo poo's stupid.

Grem has issued a correction as of 02:39 on Dec 11, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How will CSPAM support the troops?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

etalian posted:

How will CSPAM support the troops?

:commissar:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WampaLord posted:

Adam Friedland from cum town has talked unironically about how birth right and programs leading up to it basically just entice kids by getting them laid and then just slam them with propaganda

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

platzapS posted:

Good troops report:

god drat, this is putting our modern troops to shame

good poo poo, nam vets, good poo poo

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

RaySmuckles posted:

god drat, this is putting our modern troops to shame

good poo poo, nam vets, good poo poo

main difference being those guys were conscripts, modern grunts all choose to sign up and get their brains broken hard in bootcamp

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the most important Troop thing I ever did was gently caress a dude's SO while he was in Iraq and I was in the UK

When he got home he found out and headbutted me in a pub on New Year's Eve, one of my mates glassed him and we gave him a loving good kicking but I still have a scar from that and sometimes I see it in the mirror and feel a bit guilty

That's the only Troop story I will ever share, god bless

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grem posted:

I was a troop. In the invasion of Iraq no less. The people loving cheered us. I had to be in the vehicle with this dude from KBR and he was talking all kinds of poo poo about the money he'd be making his company. I think he died a few years later. When I got sent back a few years later there was a Taco Bell on the base and everyone hated us. gently caress war. and gently caress being a troop, poo poo's stupid.

people died so you an have the (then still extant) volcano taco from the comfort of your portapotty you loving ingrate

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i was a cyber troop ask me anything about my experiences in the cyber war

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Milo and POTUS posted:

people died so you an have the (then still extant) volcano taco from the comfort of your portapotty you loving ingrate

Wrong idiot.

The Taco Bell had a very limited menu.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Slippery Tilde

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

redneck nazgul posted:

i was a cyber troop ask me anything about my experiences in the cyber war

how much cyber sex did u get

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Grem posted:

Wrong idiot.

I'm... im sorry. I never realized the extent of your sacrifice. drat dude

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grem posted:

Wrong idiot.

i bet they didn't even have the doritos tacos

war truly is hell

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTr60WYjNM4

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

zeal posted:

i bet they didn't even have the doritos tacos

war truly is hell

Travel halfway across the globe in pursuit of american interests and for what? they don't even have diablo sauce. jesus christ

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

The horseman is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

morally adept posted: