Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
I am wondering if anyone here has managed to get this to work or has any idea on how to achieve my goal. I'm personally attempting to make it work with the following devices:

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 running Marshmallow
LG WP50NB40 (slim external Blu-ray writer)
j5create JUH660 (requires external power source)

I've read that the WP50NB40 can be put into AV mode by opening the drive and then holding down the eject button. This changes the light to a solid green. Also the LG WP50NB40 has a dual USB connection. While the j5create JUH660 does have 2 USB ports, it does not provide enough power to the drive to open it. I am thinking that one cable is for power and the other is for data so I have attempted to plug the drive into my power bank with one of the cables, and that at least allows the drive to open. As long as the other cable is for the data I should be fine.

Now, I've come across an app in the Play Store that is for DVDs and other formats. It only costs $2.99 but has awful reviews. I could give it a shot, but I want to look for some advice here first.

The reason I want to do this is for the sake of convenience. Also these devices do not take up much space. The screen on the Tab S 10.5 is also pretty amazing to this day. I appreciate any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Bluray barely works on pc's let alone android.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Bluray barely works on pc's let alone android.

I understand that without 3rd party software Windows does not support Blu-ray playback. I was just thinking that there could possibly be some option made available for Android devices. I am sure it's possible, but the demand is probably not high enough for a developer to create the software as the app will not be enough. Separate purchases like the ones I have made will be necessary just to get it all started.

Do you know for a fact that no app exists to support this?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It'd be funny if the VLC app worked.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

It'd be funny if the VLC app worked.

I made an attempt to use it, but I had no luck. Maybe an additional attempt will prove to be more successful.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Bluray requires expensive rear end licensing.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Bluray requires expensive rear end licensing.

Yes, it does. I am curious as to how expensive now since you can get a CyberLink suite on sale regularly at a fairly low price. And for those willing to put in the work you can use VLC player.

Actually, you don't really need to buy the CyberLink software as it comes bundled with the drive, which probably keeps the price of said drive far higher than it would be otherwise.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

G-Philez posted:

Yes, it does. I am curious as to how expensive now since you can get a CyberLink suite on sale regularly at a fairly low price. And for those willing to put in the work you can use VLC player.

Actually, you don't really need to buy the CyberLink software as it comes bundled with the drive, which probably keeps the price of said drive far higher than it would be otherwise.

A lot of the bundled software is already outdated when you get it (and wont play new blurays). If you want bluray playback on a pc atleast you buy whatever the latest software is with the understanding it will stop getting updated and you will have to rebuy a newer version to watch new discs.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

A lot of the bundled software is already outdated when you get it (and wont play new blurays). If you want bluray playback on a pc atleast you buy whatever the latest software is with the understanding it will stop getting updated and you will have to rebuy a newer version to watch new discs.

I've definitely experienced this with my many PowerDVD upgrades.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I keep reading the OP and I have no idea what you're trying to achieve.

Why not just rip your blu-ray discs into mkv files then transfer it to your android device?

I did this with Star Wars: The Clone Wars the animated series. Each episode was like 2 gbs for like 20 minutes so I converted the files to a smaller resolution. The mkv files played just fine on my Tab S with VLC. They also worked on my S7.

I assume your blu-ray writer can rip blu-rays, so use http://www.makemkv.com/ for software to rip blu-rays . In the forums the admin gives out a registration key every month (and has been doing so for years now), and it's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
I actually already own software for ripping Blu-ray titles. I just own like a thousand Blu-ray movies and don't like the idea of ripping all of them. I was especially disappointed with how one of my programs ripped them.

I bought Redfox AnyDVD and Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate. I am not a fan of how the program handles chapters and subtitles. However, I love how fast of a job it does in ripping movies. I personally prefer Handbrake. I've also used the software that you recommend, but I've only used the shareware version.

• Locked thread