Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Been a while since I've updated, too. Nothing really exciting though since everything's on autopilot.

drainpipe posted:

Whoo, just got into personal finance last year. Gonna give this a shot.

2018 Goals (most of these will be on autopilot):

1. Max 457 On track
2. Contribute ~11k to 403b Changed this to maxing out after deciding not to do stretch goal
3. Max Roth IRA Finished on Jan 2
4. Max Wife's Roth IRA Finished on Jan 2
5. Look at possibly buying a house this year (20-30% likely) Not for another 3 years at least.

Stretch if there is free money left over: add another 5k to house downpayment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Progress:
1) Increase NW by at least $50,000 Kind of dependent on end of year bonus. Right now up by $41,000 over last year
2) Max 401k and IRA I kind of screwed up my auto-contributions so I'll end up just short ($375) of max on 401k, stupid. Doesn't have an effect on my matching $ at least
3) Another $24,000 in to housing downpayment fund done!
4) Max wife IRA Will happen, she made enough money this year through work and school stipend. I don't think she's moved the money yet, though.
5) Pay for more grad school tuition without taking on debt. we have now started to pay for next semester, so far no issues
6) Spend no more than $22,500 on acquiring stupid impractical car Success, it was like, $19,600 (pay no attention to the massive maintenance bills subsequent to it)

not doing great on my running goals but I am at least running, semiregularly, so that's some progress

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

goteborg's chinese overlords thank you :sweden::hf::china:

you complained incessantly about how much you were paying on the XC90 so why not do it again??

It turns out that my major problem with a car that price is that I didn't get to drive it every day. It (the 90) has been an awesome vehicle for us, and so eventually I just decided "por que no los dos?" with the second kid on the way and dove in for round 2 (the 60).

It also didn't help that I bought the 90 when we still had like 25k in credit card debt and had 0 emergency fund accrued.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It turns out that my major problem with a car that price is that I didn't get to drive it every day. It (the 90) has been an awesome vehicle for us, and so eventually I just decided "por que no los dos?" with the second kid on the way and dove in for round 2 (the 60).

Should have bought a used BMW. That's what all the cool kids are doing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

hello

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It also didn't help that I bought the 90 when we still had like 25k in credit card debt and had 0 emergency fund accrued.

im just fuckin with ya

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

DJCobol posted:

Yeah the BMW I bought was technically used

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A lot of people are actually buying New this year

Volvos have come a LONG way in the last like... Two years. I forsee a bwm S40 or V40 in 2020 if the rumors are true.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Nov

Guest2553 posted:

1) Save 24k saved Nothing saved this month. Took advantage of black friday sales to buy some stuff we needed (new mattress, laptop after PC died) and wanted and accept that it's coming at the expense of savings.
2) Get recommended and selected for a promotion at work Check
3) Read a book every month Not met this month, but I'm doing way more technical reading for work than expected so I'm exercising those brain bits.. I also read two books a month a couple times before, so it averages out...
4) Get (back) into shape and look good naked by 1) working out at least 5 times a week :btroll:
2) eating a big-rear end salad for at least 5 days a week I learned this month that a LOT of lettuce in my local area came from Cali! :rip:

Stretch goal is to do a 2-3 day backpacking trip per month once the weather gets warm... Check
...and go on a hunting trip. Dec or bust.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
EOY! I’m estimating based on the expected year end numbers.

Goals:
- Pay off extra towards student loans Decreased from 220k to 100k, maybe 90k by EOY depending on cash flow. Goal payoff is now November ‘19
- Increase 529 to 400/mo/child Done
- Fight lifestyle creep tooth and nail. In particular limit house furnishing budget Overall net savings/student loan debt payoff rate was 69%. Gross rate was 42%. Big home costs were replacing HVAC and furnishing porch.
- Increase charity to 5% net pay Working on it
- Keep my '06 Acura until my student loan is paid off. lol nope. But my S5 makes me happy so it’s ok
- Maybe carry less cash? dumped excess into a brokerage account and student loan. Carrying a buffer currently in case there is a tax bill

Our savings rate was lower than I hoped based on our CoL but we enjoy what we spend. Looking forward to paying off my loans next year.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Financial goals are thrown completely out of whack (in a good way).. thanks grandma, I really miss you. :smith:

:smith: :unsmith: :smith: I can’t decide what my reaction to this should be. Sorry for your loss but also happy for your future self.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
EOY 2018

Potrzebie posted:

Potrzebie posted:

Goals:

*Not implode economy. Economy is doing good. Took out a second mortgage to pay for roofing and solar panels. This will pay for itself over 13 years or so. Panels are scheduled to be installed this week
*Keep up savings goal of 30% of take home salary. Big fail here. Will be around 15%.
*Keep growing with company, keep salary growth. Got the standard raise in February and we're not going to exceed budgeted profit for the year so no bonus.
*Move my rear end before I develop total dadbod. If at first you don't succeed try and try again. Biking to and from work all day erry day unless I'm sick or need the car after work. RUNNING. Still not fit

EDIT TO ADD:
*Open tax-advantaged account for baby #2. Save $70 per child per month. This is the most important thing. Done! Automatic monthly savings started
*Find person we like to live in our basement in order to reduce our CoL. We have a basement dweller! The income from this (after deductions and taxes) is almost equal to a 25% raise in my take home pay
*Have nice enough vacation. Rented a house in Hanoi and stayed for two weeks. It was amazeballs and we're going back as soon as possible.

With the additional income from renting out our surplus space combined with bascially free electricity onwards should make really interesting things happen to the savings rate come next year. On the other hand I'll be on 100% parental leave half of the year so that will dampen it somewhat. Regardless, sacrificing potential savings to be home with my kids instead is a very Good With Life thing to do.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I don't have any more updates since my last post (everything is rock solid except my wife deserves a better/better paying job) but I want to gripe that my household would be hitting $200k net worth by the end of the year if the market didn't keep taking a poo poo in the final month here. WE'RE SO CLOSE.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is not going to be a great year end for very many people, I think. :homebrew:

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
That's why you shouldn't have goals in net worth (if you are investing) since that is not really in your control.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

drainpipe posted:

That's why you shouldn't have goals in net worth (if you are investing) since that is not really in your control.
I don't but I like seeing number go up.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

drat, I had been waiting for someone to make this thread, and I just noticed that this had been up at the top stickied.

2017 was a good year for me. Net worth more than doubled from $16k to $37k, got an 11% raise, and paid off several of my student loans. Time to start getting high scores.

Current figures: 31 years old, make 50k/yr. No debt other than one student loan.
2018 goals in order:

Pay off remaining student loan, preferably by my birthday on April 23rd, currently at $2491. Done
Max Roth IRA contributions Done
Get emergency fund up to $10k (currently at $8k) Done
Up 401k contributions to 5% (currently set to 3% to max employer match) Done
Start house down payment fund Done, I guess...
Continue to never carry a balance on CCs. Done

Non-financial goals: Take a nice vacation somewhere, preferably tropical :(
Get weight back down to 143, currently at 155. :(

I'm just going to let this serve as my year end post. Financial related goals all satisfied. My house downpayment fund, while technically "created" probably wouldn't be enough to even cover closing costs if I'm ever going to buy.

Maxed 2018 Roth, and put as much into 2017s before April 15th as I could. Think I ended up contributing something like $7500 total this year.

Emergency Fund up to $10,350. Have just been throwing in an extra $50 a month. Will probably continue doing that.

Upped my 401k contribution to 10%.

Was not able to go anywhere Tropical this year. Got the Alaska airlines card though, and with companion ticket and airline miles bonus we're planning on taking a trip to Costa Rica next year.

Got fatter. Started physical therapy though, so hopefully the trend reverses. Was all the way up to 165 at one point, back into the 150s now at least.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drainpipe posted:

How would you express a retirement-planning goal?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Subjunctive posted:

How would you express a retirement-planning goal?

I think having goals like "Contribute $x into retirement accounts" makes sense since you have control over how much you contribute/save regardless of market performance.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah, intra-year it's only reasonable to say, "I will contribute $X to Y account." Over 20 years it's more fair to say, "I will accrue $X total," because there's enough time to make that happen by just waaay oversaving compared to your actual goal so there's no way to gently caress it up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i do nw goals because it fun when number go up!!! no fun when number go down :(

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i do nw goals because it fun when number go up!!! no fun when number go down :(
:same: but not as part of, like, my actual hard and firm goals. More like, "If things go well enough then by the end of the year I'll hit $200k" like, you know, the post I made.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Looks like I can go ahead and do year end as well at this point....

Omne posted:

2017 Goals: Technical failure of the no new debt goal, but met every other one. Grew emergency fund from $11k to $15k, dropped a student loan from $11,600 to $7500, and moved to another state for a new job.

2018 Goals

1. No. New. Debt. Period. FAILED
2. Savings: Save $15k in house down payment fund. Starting point: zero. Basically failed, but....
3. Savings: Maintain a $2k balance in medium term savings at all times. Failed miserably
4. Debt: Pay off my FedLoan balance (6.8% interest, $7500 balance) SUCCESS
5. Debt: Get NelNet loan balance < $10k (4.25% interest, $12,900 balance) SUCCESS

Stretch Goals:
6. Save $20k in house down payment fund
7. Earn some side income

To start with the positive, I paid off my FedLoan balance and also got my Nelnet loan under $10k ($98XX) right now). Yay!

I failed the first one, as I traded in my Cherokee and leased a friggin' BMW 530e like an idiot. I hate the payment. I don't like maintaining it. I hate leasing. Karma got me, too, as I got into a my-fault accident shortly after I got it.

#2 is a failure, but only because we found a development we like and went ahead and put a down payment on a new construction home back in October. We are now saving as much money as possible before the estimated completion date (late May 2019).

#3 is always our nemesis. Let's say we want to go on a vacation...we save up teh money, go on vacation, and pay for it using those savings. Now it's back to near zero. Save up for the next thing, spend it, gone, rinse, repeat. We need to do better here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i don't wanna hate on you too much because this is not the thread for it but if you are carrying substantial student debt and failed on your goal to save $15,000 for your house downpayment what in the blue gently caress are you doing leasing a fifty four thousand dollar car

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We were on target with our savings goal, we just jumped on the chance and pulled from other non-emergency/non-retirement savings for the house.

I also don't think less than $10k in student loans is considered substantial; I'm making triple payments every month. The car was stupid, but the lease payments didn't increase my monthly payment too much. If I could get out of it, I would. Thankfully we earn pretty high incomes so despite my nonsense, saving for the house stuff and paying down our debt, we can still save a lot each month and afford to travel a bit.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Am I reading it correctly that you paid off about $10k in student loans but also wiped out your savings and took on a bunch of new debt??

Omne posted:

Thankfully we earn pretty high incomes so despite my nonsense, saving for the house stuff and paying down our debt, we can still save a lot each month and afford to travel a bit.

I hope I read it all wrong because it sounds like your net worth went down this year!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Our net worth is up in 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Year In Review

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Progress:
1) Increase NW by at least $50,000 Done, good year. +72K even with some market pain at the end of the year
2) Max 401k and IRA I kind of screwed up my auto-contributions so I'll end up just short ($375) of max on 401k, stupid. Doesn't have an effect on my matching $ at least
3) Another $24,000 in to housing downpayment fund done, actually did about $48K
4) Max wife IRA Done
5) Pay for more grad school tuition without taking on debt. we have now started to pay for next semester, so far no issues
6) Spend no more than $22,500 on acquiring stupid impractical car Success, it was like, $19,600 (pay no attention to the massive maintenance bills subsequent to it)

not doing great on my running goals but I am at least running, semiregularly, so that's some progress

is there a next year goal thread yet?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Working on one now.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877533

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

End O' Year Update!

2018 Goals that are on Autopilot:
1-Max out retirement plans (I'm just going to lump these together because at this point that's how it feels) DONE
2-Max the HSA DONE
3-Maintain 529 contributions DONE
4-Keep current car to the "breaking point" Still going strong

BIG HARIY AUDACIOUS GOALS TIME!!!
5-Buy at least one rental property, preferably small multifamily (aka 2-4 units) Got the funds, looking at a couple of deals, but won't close by the end of the year
6-Dedicate 10 hours/month to side hustle with best friend Slight cash flow negative, but it's a hobby. Having a few people shout us out on Twitter is pretty cool though
7-NON FINANCIAL: Dedicate an average of 1 hour/day to exercise last quarter was a bit weak, but not abandoned
8-NON-FINANCIAL: Read an average of at least 1 book per month (superstretch: 1 per week)didn't quite make superstretch

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

End of the Year!

Raise net worth from 101k to 134k: $128.8k
Increase house fund from 11.2k to 20.7k: $23.5k
Increase e-fund from 7.6k to 9.6k: $9.8k
Contribute $2.6k to Roth IRA: $2660
Pay ~3k out of pocket for college: $2950

I had a good year!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Some inspiring poo poo in here this month.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

EOY update

Goals:

- Max Roth IRAs
- Meet company match on HSA
- Meet company match on 401k
- 50/month in daughter's 529
- 50/month in son's 529
- Buy a new minivan with more than 75% cash
- Help my wife make money on Etsy Miss
- Try to get at least 6 weeks of paternity (my company has no paternity leave policy). Worst case - 2 weeks off, and 4 weeks work from home. Best case - 6 weeks off with sporadic working from home when I can, but not 40 hours per week

Maybes:

- Finish cleaning up the basement and turn it into a play area. Not going crazy with finishing the basement, but getting carpet remnants and some cheap furniture will make it nicer Miss
- Release another iPhone app. Actually monetize this one Miss
- If my current job doesn't get better, start looking for a new one

Not a bad year. Now over to the 2019 thread to do this again.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
End of year update. Congratulations everyone!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Long time reader, first year poster. Editing a little bit to clarify and operationalize some items. Thank you to all posters in these annual threads as well as the rest of this sub for sharing your goals and successes. I have in many ways patterned my goals and financial life off of the advice and plans set forth in these threads.

State of the Union January 2018:
-Married, no kids
-Two professional incomes as of last year
-Student loans for both, mine refinanced to 3.5% and hers currently eligible for PSLF and an underserved repayment program
Interest rate on loans went way up due to increases in LIBOR. Good news is I was able to re-refinance to 3.0% on a shorter term for >$3k interest savings this year
-New house in late 2017, own three properties with three total rental units. Mortgages at 5.0%, 2.6% and 2.9%.
-Almost maxed 2017 403b/401k/solo 401k despite job change and both being ineligible for employer sponsored plans for part of the year
-Boring old US/intl/bond portfolio spread around between taxable and non taxable spaces

2018 Financial Goals:
1. Hit $500k household income, stretch goal $550k. Income here defined as active professional income exclusive of rental income, loan repayment checks, and passive sources such as investment dividends.
Fell just a tiny bit short, but likely to receive a six figure settlement due to the wage issue next year which would have hit our super stretch goal. So I don't know, give myself a pass? lol
2. Increase NW $250k, stretch $300k. NW here defined as mint account NW inclusive of net real estate and vehicle equity.
+$240k, same deal on the settlement
3. Reaccumulate $50k cash after house purchase and 12/31 tax prepayments (thanks Trump)
Done
4. 75% of take home, post estimated tax payments to debt reduction, savings, or investments
Haven't calculated this but no way we even got close because of the unpaid wages
5. Debt reduction strategy dictated by loan interest and tax considerations, will divide monthly savings after mortgages and car payments between student loan and cash investments at present
Holding steady
6. Max backdoor Roth IRAs
Done
7. Max combination of Solo 401k, 401k, 403b, and mega backdoor Roth
Maxing both of our 401ks and now I have profit sharing with my new job, which is great. Wife also now has a 457b to max so extra space is available.
8. Work credit card sign up bonuses and 0% APR periods to maximum advantage, 2017 was a great year for points
Another 0% APR intro rolling for 15 months, having 0% APR credit was also helpful when I wasn't paid for a couple months
9. Attempt to do all travel this year on points or expensed, spend less than $5k cash on travel
Just got back from a pleasant expensed business trip. There is a spring conference in Hawaii I want to take my wife to, and I will be able to expense everything except her plane ticket, which is beautiful. Also about to collect 100k AMEX points which will pay for plane tickets to France next year.
10. Investigate establishing LLCs for rentals and retitling for tax benefits
Paperwork for this is in the works.
11. Investigate converting some or all of my wage income to 1099 income for tax benefits
New job is still W2 but configured for maximum tax advantage, specifically with expense account and profit sharing
12. Try to increase professional side hustles e.g. consulting, maybe expert witness?
Have made a few thousand with research and consulting work, which was nice to have when my main source of income fell out. Not sure what the real upper limit of this is or if it will ever really rev up but it's decent to have either way.
13. Consider adding a rental property, cash situation and opportunity providing
Have a target property and will try to close second quarter 2019
13a. Consider consolidating IRAs/403b/Solo 401k to purchase rental property in self directed plan
See above
14. Make appointment with my lawyer to do actual estate planning
Fail
15. Consider trading toy car for less expensive toy car if I can walk away with cash.
Traded in the toy car for a different toy car that was somewhat cheaper..

Non-financial Goals:
16. Work out six days a week consistently
Still doing well on this, averaging about 5.5 days a week
16a. Build a cheap gym in my basement to facilitate this goal.
No activity, a 24/7 Planet Fitness opened two blocks from my house and for $10 a month has pretty much crushed the logic of spending money to build out a home gym
17. Run two races after a fat sad zero in 2017
Success!
18. Make friends in the new neighborhood
Planning a holiday party with the neighbors!
19. Do some improvements to the house and yard, possibly revamp the deck, do some gardening and landscaping
Got our driveway built, decorated our deck all cute, hired a landscaper to fix up our bushes and stuff
20. Try to cook more regularly
Still doing good on this
21. Lose 10 lbs as a result of 16 and 20
Still minus 4 lbs, no further change, keep trying?
22. Fun splurge for anniversary or birthday at a Michelin star restaurant, location TBD
Going to try something amazing in Paris as a birthday present to my wife next year. Suggestions?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Final year-end update. Initial post is below, responses will be below that:

IllegallySober posted:

I'm a couple days late on starting my 2018 goals but no less motivated. :) I'm going to post the overall goals as a first draft for now and will edit in more detailed plans to accomplish them later this week.

2018 Goals

1. Pay off $11,144.12 in credit card debt which will make me debt-free. This is a returning goal from 2017; I didn't have a very good year income-wise in 2017 and lost my roommates as well in November which tripled my rent so there's some work to do just to stay afloat in the short-term. I don't want new roommates right now so I need to increase income to match as well as pay off the last of my debt from years ago (this credit card).

2. Related to the above, do not add any new consumer debt. I want to stay debt-free, so no new car purchases, credit cards, etc. The only possible exception would be if every other goal is hit and I wind up in position to purchase a home somehow in 2018. I do not expect this to happen.

3. Max out IRA contributions. I have both a traditional and a Roth but have never come close to maxing either and need to start. 34 is too old to not be doing this every year.

4. Lose 20 pounds and maintain a weight of 170 pounds and body fat percentage of 18% or less.

5. Related to #4, no alcohol in 2018 until I reach 170 pounds.

6. Spend less than $3,000 total between restaurants and bar expenses for 2018.

7. Increase officiating income (income stream #2) to $4,000 in 2018. This would be an increase of around $750 over 2017 and just requires me to work a few more games this year.

8. Create a third income stream that provides a minimum of $10,000 in 2018. Details to follow here.

Stretch Goals

9. Save a minimum of $10,000 towards a down payment on a house.

10. Increase total combined income to $100,000 via a main job change. I make far less than I deserve and I need to look into what groundwork I need to lay to drastically increase my income and prepare for a career change.

1. Goal met- this was completed in April!

2. Goal met- CC is still at a zero balance!

3. Didn't make it here- bumped up my contributions over the course of the year, but didn't max it. This should WILL happen in 2019.

4. Didn't make this one either. Starting 2019 where I started 2018, roughly- at 192.7 lbs as of 1/1/19 9 AM. Don't have a body fat measurement yet but obviously didn't meet the goal of 19%. This should WILL happen in 2019 and I'll need to be much more intentional about a workout plan and meal plan to get me there.

5. I modified this goal a couple of times throughout the year, but in spirit I'm giving myself a pass here. The overall intent was to drastically reduce my alcohol intake both for health reasons and to save money. As it was, YNAB tells me I spent less than $100 on alcohol in 2018, and the drinks I did have were for my birthday and at out-of-town weddings and were kept to a minimum. That said- a version of this will return in my 2019 goals.

6. Huge failure here. :( $6259.61 was the total. My number-one goal for 2019 will be to address this as this number impacts almost everything else.

7. Increased my officiating income, but didn't quite make the goal of $4,000 (wound up at $3553.77) due to missing a weekend for an out-of-town wedding (missed a Saturday of junior football which would have been another $200-300) and a glut of officials leading to a lack of games being available. Will shoot for the same goal of $4,000 in 2019.

8. The side-work gig I got turned into the replacement main job. This is still something I want to pursue in 2019 but in a slightly different form/way.

9. Didn't wind up saving the full $10K for a down payment towards a house, but pulled the trigger on it anyway in December with my girlfriend (soon-to-be fiancee) which was both amazing and terrifying. We both want to throw all extra funds into paying off the mortgage way, way ahead of time (the dream scenario is within five years) and are both fine with not doing much in the next few years to make this goal happen. We're looking forward to hosting a lot of board game nights :)

10. Didn't happen this year, but my boss and I are set to sit down this month to discuss a compensation plan to get me to $100K in 2019. Looking forward to that discussion!

A productive year, but not a clean sweep by any measure. I gave myself 4/10 with near misses on a couple of more. Looking for 10 out of 10 in 2019!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

2018 Goals final update
1) NO NEW DEBT - Done! We did some house projects, but saved for them beforehand, and didn't buy a new car or anything
2) If company situation continues to deteriorate, switch career from Software QA to Software Dev - Didn't make the switch full time, but getting experience at my current company, which should mean I can come in at a non junior dev level. Definitely counting this as complete!
3) Bring emergency fund up to $19k - Done! This completes the emergency fund, next year I will just contribute nominally.
4) Max out Roth IRAs - Done!
5) Max both our 401(k)s - Done!
6) Increase NW to $215k/~50% savings rate - Done, mostly! We easily hit the savings rate goal, which was the important part. YNAB shows December 2018's NW at $219k, but I adjust retirement fund balances on the first of the month, so January's NW is below $215k, due to the stock market declining during December. I said at the beginning of the year the savings rate would determine pass/fail of this goal though, so pass!
7) Lose 10 pounds and keep it off - Failed! I lost the weight, but put some of it back on over the holidays. The silver lining to this failure is I used to yo-yo much more dramatically. I'm getting better, and I've made a bunch of lifestyle changes, so this is still failed, but progress was made.

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career (emphasis on house maintenance this year). Passed all goals. Learned a ton of house maintenance stuff, completed several repair projects and am now starting a minor remodeling of a bathroom.

----------------------------------------------------

All in all a great year! 6/7 major goals, good on all the misc goals. We were on track to be well over the NW goal until the last few months. Very happy with my career learning and everything. I don't think I'm going to post in the 2019 thread, because my financial goals are all autopilot at this point. I'm going to redirect the mental effort towards my health goals, which need more help. I'll read along with the 2019 thread though, and if I come up with a more exciting goal (or start slipping on my autopilot goals), I may post midyear.

Great work everyone, and thanks!