Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXHrCBkIxQQ

Synopsis posted:

After a young John Paul Getty III (Charlie Plummer) is kidnapped by an organized crime regime, his devoted mother, Gail (Michelle Williams), desperately attempts to convince his wealthy grandfather, oil tycoon J. Paul Getty (Christopher Plummer) to pay the ransom. When he refuses, Gail allies herself with Getty's business manager and former CIA operative Fletcher Chase (Mark Wahlberg) to set her son free and convince Getty to change his mind before it's too late.

I think this easily has the potential to be Scott's best thriller since American Gangster. The production values and casting are all top notch (which is rare for Sony).

I think the story of this film could not be more relevant than ever in an era where billionaires (yeah, we just elected one :sigh:) such as big oil executives - and by extension, neoliberalism - are systematically eroding Western democracies. Individuals like J. Paul Getty, who literally value money more than their own flesh and blood, are the same people who purchase our politicians for their own selfish ends.

However, the main reason why Scott decided to direct this script was for the emphasis it had on the psychology and mind of J. Paul Getty in favor of politics. I hope Kevin SpaceyChristopher Plummer is able to concisely capture the hosed up logic and rationality of Getty with the limited amount of time he had to prepare for the part.

I'll be navigating through thousands of Star Wars fans in line at the theater for this on December 22.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

They have released a trailer with the Christopher Plummer stuff added in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXHrCBkIxQQ

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Am I wrong for thinking this is the end result of those rumors that he wanted to direct a Monopoly movie?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The release date has been pushed back to Christmas Day: http://deadline.com/2017/12/ridley-scott-getty-kidnap-all-the-money-in-the-world-move-christmas-day-1202221676/

quote:

Sony has shifted the opening of the Ridley Scott-directed Getty Kidnap thriller All The Money In The World from December 22 to Christmas Day. The film was moved because December 25 is the biggest moviegoing day, and the extra three days creates a bit of space from the Hugh Jackman-starrer The Greatest Showman, which moved to December 20.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Well that's a gamble, because it means there's three more days for another cast member to be outed as a rapist.

jimshua
Jun 11, 2017

there are three things im good at: counting and lists
why did they edit the new trailer like that

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
So did they just shoot Plummer against a green screen and composite him over Spacey?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MajorB posted:

So did they just shoot Plummer against a green screen and composite him over Spacey?

Apparently they filmed the Spacey scenes in about 2 weeks originally, so it didn't take much to do the reshoots.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

MajorB posted:

They shot Spacey's scenes in a pretty short space of time. Scott just reassembled everyone again to shoot it and was able to edit it as they go. They already had a finalised cut, so they just took out the Spacey scenes and inserted the Plummer ones back in. Really if Spacey was a more central role they probably would've been hosed.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well that's a gamble, because it means there's three more days for another cast member to be outed as a rapist.
I mean the film is still partially another attempt to bring more prestige to a dude who went on a hate crime spree as a teenager and only received a little over a month in prison for attempted murder.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

They shot Spacey's scenes in a pretty short space of time. Scott just reassembled everyone again to shoot it and was able to edit it as they go. They already had a finalised cut, so they just took out the Spacey scenes and inserted the Plummer ones back in. Really if Spacey was a more central role they probably would've been hosed.

Yeah basically the narrative structure of the movie involves the Spacey character setting up the plot and then returning to his home planet, so outside of getting the reshoots done and spliced into the final cut in a short time frame, this was an easy call.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Christopher Plummer grabbing a Golden Globe nomination for this movie is hilarious.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Currently has a 91% on RT with 11 reviews. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/all_the_money_in_the_world_2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Movie was good.

That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean the film is still partially another attempt to bring more prestige to a dude who went on a hate crime spree as a teenager and only received a little over a month in prison for attempted murder.

Dang i just watched A Sound of Music yesterday too :/

This movie was pretty good, marky mark was fine but not exceptional, the girl was even better, and the kidnapper and Plummer were the standouts

• Locked thread