Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Dr Subterfuge posted:

This was lots of fun. I'm sorry to see it go. :( Your worldbuilding has been great, so naturally I have lots of questions.

I had a lot of fun, i just can't commit to updating... at all, for some reason, after a few days away, the thought of trying to write an update just crushed my spirit, even though I knew what I had to write

EDIT: Answers on the previous page. Go read them.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

What was the deal with our fancy fire spear?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

What was the deal with our fancy fire spear?

It was a magical sentient spear. It was the result of a warrior imprinting her values upon the universe itself by virtue of espousing them so fully that it infused everything around her with the same sort of sentiment.

EDIT: One of the capstone powers was, of course, going to be the ability to teleport from flame to flame, at a low mana cost

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The setting you've developed sounds absolutely incredible, and I would love to read it in book form. The idea of an entire conflict among humans being manipulated by incomprehensible extra-dimensional alien gods is extremely my jam.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

TheCog posted:

It was a magical sentient spear. It was the result of a warrior imprinting her values upon the universe itself by virtue of espousing them so fully that it infused everything around her with the same sort of sentiment.

EDIT: One of the capstone powers was, of course, going to be the ability to teleport from flame to flame, at a low mana cost

Would we have been able to have conversations with it and completely blow the Sejin's mind?

Oh hey flame teleportation. That sound badass. Almost as badass as battle precognition. That was really just taking the thread's interpretation and running with it, tight?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Would we have been able to have conversations with it and completely blow the Sejin's mind?

Oh hey flame teleportation. That sound badass. Almost as badass as battle precognition. That was really just taking the thread's interpretation and running with it, tight?

Yes. This time skip you were going to start getting vague feelings from the spear, which would have eventually translated into full telepathy.

No. Battle precognition was in there as one of the top tier powers. If we'd ever gotten to the Feywild bit i had in mind, or the Sejin's last stand at the Gate of Sands, it's totally possible you would have seen the Sejin using it. (Disclaimer, this was inspired mostly by Atium in the Mistborn series).

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

TheCog posted:

Game is dead, but I'll do my best to answer any questions people have.

I don't think i'm cut out to consistently update anything unfortunately

Sorry to hear that; your world building truly is wonderful and this thread was one of my favorite stories on here while it lasted.

Questions:

Where did some of the other starting options take us? Would it have been the same world and story? Or, did you have something drastically difference in mind?

How close were we or The Sejin to dying in some of those fights?

Did you have numbers behind the magic system to track 'drain' or 'effort'? How did you know what we could cast safely with MP and then dip into HP?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

CourValant posted:

Where did some of the other starting options take us? Would it have been the same world and story? Or, did you have something drastically difference in mind?

The other starts changed the world somewhat (the Sejin died in the Brass City, still stopped the ritual), and it would have likely kicked off into solo mode a lot sooner, when agents of the Worm killed your mentor. It was mostly about the types of things you learned, the Witch start was focused into taping laylines for power, and less direct combat spells, the other start was more about gem magic and forging items. They weren't super fleshed out beyond early days because it seemed wasteful to put too much effort into any story line until a decision was made

CourValant posted:

How close were we or The Sejin to dying in some of those fights?
The dice were fairly close on the boar fight tbh. The Sejin wasn't really at risk at any point.

CourValant posted:

Did you have numbers behind the magic system to track 'drain' or 'effort'? How did you know what we could cast safely with MP and then dip into HP?

I did. Essentially I had a numerical value for your mana pool, and some notes on how much modifying a spell would cost more or less, and then I gave magical actions a base cost.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

TheCog posted:

. . . the other start was more about gem magic and forging items. They weren't super fleshed out beyond early days because it seemed wasteful to put too much effort into any story line until a decision was made

Man, I'm, all about that 'Gem Magic' and artificing too.

TheCog posted:

. . . would have likely kicked off into solo mode a lot sooner, when agents of the Worm killed your mentor.

How close were we to solo mode? Did we have the choice of going to the Gate and becoming a full Sejin?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

CourValant posted:

Man, I'm, all about that 'Gem Magic' and artificing too.

How close were we to solo mode? Did we have the choice of going to the Gate and becoming a full Sejin?

About 6-8 years of ingame time, its one of the reasons the game was dragging. The Sejin was slated to die during your Sejin ritual at the Gate of Sands, so you'd emerge as either a King, a Magi or a Sejin, just to hold the Sejin as he breathed his last, having held the forces of the King of Kings at bay.

EDIT: That's not to say that there wouldn't be any solo adventuring along the way, especially if you decided not to accompany the sejin on the Artic expedition

TheCog fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 5, 2019

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

TheCog posted:

The Sejin was slated to die during your Sejin ritual at the Gate of Sands, so you'd emerge as either a King, a Magi or a Sejin, just to hold the Sejin as he breathed his last, having held the forces of the King of Kings at bay.

Man, this is pulling on my heart strings, even as a plot point spoiler.

I would have voted to become a 'King' and fight the King of Kings for his crown, although I'm sure the thread would have chosen Sejin.

A flame teleporting magical spear Kingslayer would have been Boss.

TheCog posted:

EDIT: That's not to say that there wouldn't be any solo adventuring along the way, especially if you decided not to accompany the sejin on the Artic expedition

Of course we would have gone, how else would we pick up Frostmourne?

Anything else you'd like to disclose? Its difficult to keep asking questions, what were some of the other plot points which would have been cool, like Sejin dying at the culmination of our trials?

Any plans to start a new game, even if you can't sustain it?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

CourValant posted:

Of course we would have gone, how else would we pick up Frostmourne?

The tradeoff there is the north is so dangerous that the Sejin would have had to focus on survival, not training you, when you could have stayed safely in Greystone learning under the Sejin's sort of former apprentice. Speaking of whcih, she's a full character in my head, wanted to be the next sejin, got told no because she was doing it for the sake of power, and the Sejin was convinced power would corrupt her, has a love hate relationship with she Sejin where she disagrees with his world views, but thinks he's the only hope against the Worm, would have taught you elemental magic if you'd stayed with her while the Sejin went north with the Demon Binder. I named her Vanessa in my head but that was likely not going to be her name

CourValant posted:

Anything else you'd like to disclose? Its difficult to keep asking questions, what were some of the other plot points which would have been cool, like Sejin dying at the culmination of our trials?

I didn't want to ramble, but some baseline plot points/half formed scenes/ideas:

Traveling to the Feywild, encountering bladedancers who demand the Sejin and you accompany them to speak with the Princess, turns out she wants to make a deal that you'll never try to sway the Fae Court to fight in your wars, in exchange for a pretty good boon. Having the Sejin make a proclamation that if you're harmed he's going to kill each and every Fae present, and speaking this with THE WEIGHT OF PROPHECY, a proclamation so full of intent that the magic of the Fae makes it into truth.

The trip north, if you went, seeing an ancient dwarven fortress overrun by a malignant Skrad, a mass of angry, writhing ice that drinks blood.

Going on an adventure with a bunch of dwarf dragon hunters, learning about their admittedly alien culture. Seeing their rune magic and their insanely precise and coordinated formation tactics.

Eventually discovering that one of the secrets of the dwarfs is that they're all born out of giant mushrooms of flesh, and that only abnormal dwarfs have anything but extreme loyalty to the Clanmouths, the giant mushrooms that spawn them. (Its why there are no female dwarfs)

Learning that the Sejin has a suit of Dwarven Plate that is nearly indestructible, and seeing the ruins of it when he died, utterly destroyed by the cursed blade of the Abyss Dweller, the same one he did battle against in the shadow of the Brass Citadel.

Having Vanessa slap the Sejin when she learns that he's taken a mere child as an apprentice.

Having to defend a town against a kobold attack while the Sejin is away, being vastly outnumbered but getting to show off all the cool magic you've learned

Scenes involving the Dealmaker, a demon that exchanges future favors for boons now.

Traveling to the gate of sands via the Sejins snake dagger, which cuts a rift in the world. This involves wandering through a barren wasteland, with the Sejin demanding as much silence as possible, and with the warning that if anything that dwells there sees you, you will most certainly both die. Realizing there's not a drop of magic or life for miles, if at all in this world.

EDIT: I also had a mental image of you LEAPING from some kind of flying mount down into a massive gaping hole in the earth, the scar of the brass city, where the Worm lies waiting, coiled, laughing a terrible laugh.

EDIT2: The Sejin was also going to give you a stone, passed down through generations, in which each previous Sejin had spent years depositing mana. The mana having to be discharged all in one go of course, allowing a one time, insanely powerful spell.

CourValant posted:

Any plans to start a new game, even if you can't sustain it?
I have an idea for a game, but I need to flesh it out. Maybe, but it won't be a long form CYOA one way or another.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 5, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh yeah speaking of what was mana and how did it work? The whole magic system, I mean.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh yeah speaking of what was mana and how did it work? The whole magic system, I mean.

Mana is naturally accumulating magical energy, imparted into the world by The Root, using life as an incubator. Basically the Root needs to eat. To do that, it implants mana in the world. Mana accumulates and grows in living things, doubly so in mystical beings. Mana is so ingrained in every aspect of everything, that it allows someone who can focus it, to manipulate the world. Whenever this happens, the Root consumes a small portion of the mana, and thus derives sustenance.

Mechanically, I just put numbers that made sense into spells, e.g. shooting one bolt of fire, 5 mana, increasing its range or area, increases cost by 50%.

The different *colors* of mana were just more attuned to specific elements, e.g. ignean mana counted as three for fire spells, but cost two to produce, and only counted a 1/10 for non fire spells.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

TheCog posted:

EDIT: I also had a mental image of you LEAPING from some kind of flying mount down into a massive gaping hole in the earth, the scar of the brass city, where the Worm lies waiting, coiled, laughing a terrible laugh. .

This one in particular makes me think of Alnaar being totally stoked with the proceedings. Was he basically GLORY personified, or would he have been more complicated?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

TheCog posted:

I named her Vanessa in my head but that was likely not going to be her name

She can be Tai Lung to our Po.

TheCog posted:

Having the Sejin make a proclamation that if you're harmed he's going to kill each and every Fae present, and speaking this with THE WEIGHT OF PROPHECY, a proclamation so full of intent that the magic of the Fae makes it into truth.

Yeah, anytime the Sejin acts like the badass he is, it's a good time.

TheCog posted:

The trip north, if you went, seeing an ancient dwarven fortress overrun by a malignant Skrad, a mass of angry, writhing ice that drinks blood.

/roll sanity

TheCog posted:

Going on an adventure with a bunch of dwarf dragon hunters, learning about their admittedly alien culture. Seeing their rune magic and their insanely precise and coordinated formation tactics.

Fantasy Dwarf Romans would have been cool.

TheCog posted:

Eventually discovering that one of the secrets of the dwarfs is that they're all born out of giant mushrooms of flesh, and that only abnormal dwarfs have anything but extreme loyalty to the Clanmouths, the giant mushrooms that spawn them. (Its why there are no female dwarfs)

Gross.

TheCog posted:

Learning that the Sejin has a suit of Dwarven Plate that is nearly indestructible, and seeing the ruins of it when he died, utterly destroyed by the cursed blade of the Abyss Dweller, the same one he did battle against in the shadow of the Brass Citadel.

Stop being mean.

TheCog posted:

Having Vanessa slap the Sejin when she learns that he's taken a mere child as an apprentice.

This would have been a good scene.

TheCog posted:

Having to defend a town against a kobold attack while the Sejin is away, being vastly outnumbered but getting to show off all the cool magic you've learned

The thread would have killed us by tapping into waaaaay too much HP for mana.

TheCog posted:

Traveling to the gate of sands via the Sejins snake dagger, which cuts a rift in the world. This involves wandering through a barren wasteland, with the Sejin demanding as much silence as possible, and with the warning that if anything that dwells there sees you, you will most certainly both die. Realizing there's not a drop of magic or life for miles, if at all in this world.

Man, I really, really want to see this scene.

TheCog posted:

EDIT: I also had a mental image of you LEAPING from some kind of flying mount down into a massive gaping hole in the earth, the scar of the brass city, where the Worm lies waiting, coiled, laughing a terrible laugh.

Magic Flying Carpet.

TheCog posted:

EDIT2: The Sejin was also going to give you a stone, passed down through generations, in which each previous Sejin had spent years depositing mana. The mana having to be discharged all in one go of course, allowing a one time, insanely powerful spell.

Sounded like a good way to empower the fire spear to marshmellow toast the World Worm.

TheCog posted:

I have an idea for a game, but I need to flesh it out. Maybe, but it won't be a long form CYOA one way or another.

Well, looking forward to seeing it, hope I don't miss the post.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Now that I've read the whole thing Im insanely sad to see it won't be progressing. This was a fascinating worls you've built.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Well, I'm bummed it's dead, but glad you started it.

We'll never really know how awesome our ferret could have been.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
what did we lose after we fought the boar?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
You're a really good writer, Cog, I hope you find a format that you enjoy.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Well, I'm bummed it's dead, but glad you started it.

We'll never really know how awesome our ferret could have been.

It wasn't a ferret. I actually was going to make it the larval stage of a more horrific being originally, but the idea of a small ferret thing growing into a big winged snake really tickled my fancy.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

what did we lose after we fought the boar?

Your ability to create different kinds of mana. I had a couple ideas of how you'd get this back. A quest to an ancient monastery. A spirit journey where you had to battle your nega-self. Nothing definitive.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

This one in particular makes me think of Alnaar being totally stoked with the proceedings. Was he basically GLORY personified, or would he have been more complicated?
Alnaar's personality was not fully fleshed out, I'm sure i'd have figured him out as I wrote.

Also I wanted to say I really appreciate the positive sentiments, I'm glad people enjoyed the game

TheCog fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 7, 2019

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Thanks for everything, really great and engrossing story, best of luck in whatever you write next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

For people who enjoyed this game, even though it didn't go anywhere, I'm trying a thing: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883970