Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So you're in the same company as Jennifer Lawrence, noted loudmouth idiot. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

If I posted how I liked the plot and that the characters were great etc but had to leave half way through because of work emergency or whatever, there be either no reaction or agreement.

Good point: If you did something different for different reasons, people would react differently. You just can't stop yourself making good, worthwhile posts.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Doctor Malaver, buddy, I just could not make it all the way through that last post of yours. Like, another long post from the dude who didn't even finish the movie? Couldn't take it, had to bail. Thought you'd like to know.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Not agreeing with me is all right. Posting about that is fine too. But using such weak burns is just reprehensible.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

Not agreeing with me is all right. Posting about that is fine too. But using such weak burns is just reprehensible.

tldr:
your posts bad. burns good

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Doctor Malaver posted:

I completely disagree. If someone posted that they walked out I would find that interesting and very much take it into consideration if I was on a fence about seeing the film. It doesn't mean that I'd read his imdb review or a treatise on the development of the characters but the act of leaving the cinema as such is informative even if it came without any explanation.

As for aggro, sure there's some. If I posted how I liked the plot and that the characters were great etc but had to leave half way through because of work emergency or whatever, there be either no reaction or agreement. Nobody would jump on me for liking the film I haven't seen whole and commenting on it. Be honest - would you respond to such a post with "Anything you have to say about the characters or plot is useless, and a waste of everyone’s time (including your own)."?

Ok, here, I'll be more precise for people who might be like you and come into this thread and see you walked out of it and take that into consideration:

Do not take that into consideration. Movies are not meant to be watched in pieces. Character arcs have a beginning and an end. Someone who has not seen the entirety of a movie's opinion of a character's arc is useless; they don't know it. Do not read Doctor Malaver's posts and think that because they think they know about the characters that they do.

I don't care if you (or someone hypothetical) liked or did not like the characters in the movie because you don't know about the characters in the movie. If someone came in here saying they liked how narcissistic Reynolds was and that his character is amazing because of that (but they had only seen the first half of the movie), I would also tell them to watch the whole movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've never reviewed a movie I didn't finish and I'm wary to bail out unless it really does seem unapproachable. Which is usually going to be in the first few minutes, not halfway through. I remember shutting off Harold and Maude after 10-15 minutes, but trying again a year or so later. I'm so glad I gave it another chance because I ended up enjoying it. But I didn't give an opinion of it until after I saw it in its entirety.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

well if no less an authority than jennifer lawrence shares his opinion i'm afraid there's nothing we can do

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

well if no less an authority than jennifer lawrence shares his opinion i'm afraid there's nothing we can do

That quote from her is frustrating. Especially considering some of the movies she’s done.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Turning this into a Jennifer Lawrence discussion - I don't agree with her conclusions, and she was being snotty on purpose imo, but she obviously has personal experiences re: relationships that hit a little too close to home.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Turning this into a Jennifer Lawrence discussion - I don't agree with her conclusions, and she was being snotty on purpose imo, but she obviously has personal experiences re: relationships that hit a little too close to home.

Based on the first three minutes, sure. She might have enjoyed how the relationship evolved though.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

"not liking a well-regarded movie" is generally considered a loving insane reason to go aggro on people, y'all are aware of that right?

Leave it to you to miss the entire point.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Finally watched this one, and it was loving amazing. Easily his best since TWBB, and time will tell if not better. Also his most funniest film by far. Wasn't really expecting it to turn into Vertigo, but with Judy being a pervert too. Though if you riffing on Vertigo you best get weird with it, and this certainly does.

But Paul why did you cut this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBmnU98uk_o

why you do this to me paul why

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This movie just came out on blu ray so I picked it up to complete my PTA collection(minus Hard Eight which I will grab eventually because it's also great)

Really, really loved this movie. I was not expecting to, I was fully prepared to appreciate the nice cinematography, costumes, and DDL's performance but expecting something less satisfying overall than TWBB or The Master. But Phantom Thread definitely earns a place alongside PTA's other masterpieces because it goes in so many unexpected and compelling directions.

The backdrop is smaller, sure, there isn't as much grandeur(costumes aside) here as there is in There Will Be Blood. But the character work outside of DDL is arguably better here, with two fantastic performances by Krieps and Manville that hold up to his intensity similarly to when he shared scenes with Paul Dano in TWBB.

As for Day-Lewis himself, the guy is just unbelievable at playing this kind of role. Woodcock is one of the all-time great movie assholes, and the film is stuffed with these little moments of hostility that can really only be appreciated within the full context of the characters relationships. It's Bergman meets Hitchcock meets David Lean. It probably should've swept the Oscars outside of maybe a few tech awards for BR2049.

• Locked thread