Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is interesting ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

This is an extremely good listen thank you, especially as it ramps up to midnight

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I would guess nothing for a bit, if i was a police commander with any brains I’d let them amp up, then wait a couple hours or more for the crowd and energy to disperse and then move in on them.

But cops and angry college administrators lol.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Butter Activities posted:

I would guess nothing for a bit, if i was a police commander with any brains I’d let them amp up, then wait a couple hours or more for the crowd and energy to disperse and then move in on them.

But cops and angry college administrators lol.

it’s amazing how the logic of empire leads to the worst possible decision at every single level of power

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Radio station is reporting the deadline got moved to 8am EST.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao wrecked

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

No outside confirmation of it though

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mandel Brotset posted:

it’s amazing how the logic of empire leads to the worst possible decision at every single level of power

Big city police departments tend to be less moronic and more disciplined about not escalating with mass protests, like at least during BLM when I lived in VA Richmond police would go ham every night and it would turn into riots and sometimes even police embarrassing themselves failing to clear the circle as people rallied to stop them while hardening the resolve of the protestors over time while city DC police just cordoned them off and avoided hostile confrontation and just waited them out for a few weeks. DC had most of the rioting and crazy poo poo when it was the feds at the White House facing the protests until they barricaded that off and just let the city cops deal with it who just let it fissile out.

But yeah Israel as a state is the late stage of the process of letting the cops/troops dictate policy and run around without discipline.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
https://x.com/taliaotg/status/1782924314809176149

Atnisemitsmis

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Protestors held a "street seder" in Brooklyn near Chuck Schumer's home. The NYPost says 100 people were arrested.

But the police have had trouble finding a bus driver to take the kids to the pokey.

https://twitter.com/datainput/status/1782965083120767138

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

PFLP Statement on the campus protests in the United States

Resistance News Network posted:

🔴 Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine:

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine condemns the repressive practices of the administrations of universities in the United States, and affirms its support for the struggle of the student movement in support of Palestine.

At a time when the genocide war against our unarmed Palestinian people in Gaza Strip continues, and the brutal zionist practices in Al-Quds and the West Bank, executed by the zionist occupation army in partnership, support, and complicity with the American administration and Western colonial countries, aligned with all the forces of evil and tyranny in the world, when the occupation army has been committing massacres and brutal crimes for over 200 days now, the likes of which human history has never witnessed before,

And at a time when all lovers of peace in the world stand by the Palestinian people in their just struggle to reclaim their usurped rights, the ugly face of zionist racism clearly appears.

While our students in American looking forward to support and solidarity from the university administrations, which prioritized their interests, profits, and investments over noble human values, they have undertaken a number of punitive measures (https://t.me/PalestineResist/36990?single) against students, faculty, and staff, threatening and extorting them for nothing but standing by the Palestinian people (https://t.me/PalestineResist/36871?single) and supporting their just struggle for freedom and human dignity. These administrations prioritize their interests over Palestinian blood and human values and engage in hate speeches against Arabs and Muslims, canceling student organizations' licenses, deluding themselves that by doing so, they can suppress our students' struggle in the universities within the United States.

We in the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, along with all our people, the honorable of our nation and the world, confirm our steadfast support for the struggle of the students youth movements , Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) and the Palestinian Youth Movement (PYM) at universities such as Columbia, Rutgers, Yale, Stanford, among others. We call for enhancing the unity of students and their struggle to divest American universities from the zionist entity and cut all forms of relations with it.

As we highly appreciate the positions, movements, and struggles of our students in American universities, and call for the escalation of their struggle against aggressive policies, and the rejection of compliance with the policies biased in favor of the occupation, we also call for the strengthening of ranks and enhancing the unity of students. We highly value the supportive and solidary positions for the struggle of our people in various American universities and around the world, and all the strugglers for freedom, justice, and human dignity.

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine
Central Media Office
23-4-2024
(from t.me/PalestineResist/37062, via tgsa)

Columbia administrators have threatened to ask for the deployment of the National Guard according to negotiators for the encampment.
https://twitter.com/ColumbiaSJP/status/1782986207892250850

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

PFLP Statement on the campus protests in the United States]

ftw

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Weka posted:

These protests are useful but not for changing the policy of the government. They can help build a movement for instance. It is worth talking about what they can achieve and what they cannot. Sorry if this is a little bit of a dog pile mate.

FirstnameLastname posted:

the things people are missing about these protests isn't where they're happening but who is involved

This is the segment of society that 10, 20 years from now would be running protection for Israel, these are the people that they would be asking to shut the college down

for a lot of them this is their first impression of Israel, the country's acting like every bad guy from every movie, combined with the nazis. people will remember that poo poo

if Israel doesn't get its hooks into people's careers before they're fully established & self-sufficient, and likewise with their peers, it has very little to build leverage with

Israel has made it both cool to support palestine, and uncool to support Israel, across children, teenagers, young adults -
it'll get you into the halls of power today but it will not get you invited to a party tonight

and what do college students generally value most

israel is cooked

I think fnln is right. The big difference here between these protests and the George Floyd protests is that, except for Obama intervening to end the NBA strike, the ruling class never really put their thumbs on the scale in a visible way. Now you have poo poo like this, which I think does represent a change.

CheetoVonTito posted:

I don’t follow football…is the owner of the patriots a big deal?

https://x.com/kahlissee/status/1782826724813656361?s=46

It's the same as everything else since 2016, once you take the lid off, the kayfabe breaks and there isn't really any putting it back together again. I suspect there will be a return to normalcy after this poo poo in Gaza quiets down, but these cracks aren't going away, and they're only going to get wider when the next flaming bag of dogshit gets left on the front porch.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Atrocious Joe posted:

owns

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Stringent posted:

It's the same as everything else since 2016, once you take the lid off, the kayfabe breaks and there isn't really any putting it back together again. I suspect there will be a return to normalcy after this poo poo in Gaza quiets down, but these cracks aren't going away, and they're only going to get wider when the next flaming bag of dogshit gets left on the front porch.

what leads you to think poo poo in gaza is quieting down?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

I think fnln is right.

more and more people are adopting fnln thought

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mandel Brotset posted:

what leads you to think poo poo in gaza is quieting down?

I don't think it's currently quieting down. I assume it will eventually, but I don't know or have the mental capacity to consider how.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Atrocious Joe posted:

Columbia administrators have threatened to ask for the deployment of the National Guard according to negotiators for the encampment.

https://youtu.be/fYj_XE_qfwE?si=qt9xzabjbe7KiaqM

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

more and more people are adopting fnln thought

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Stringent posted:

I don't see how "Gaza quiets down" in a way that satisfies the liberation movement here. In the U.S. alone, getting rid of anti-BDS & financial investments are going to be a heavy lift, leaving aside the government's efforts to squelch & criminalize protest. This is a long haul.

Nothing less than the U.S. recognizing an independent & non-occupied Palestinian state, and spending as much money toward reconstruction & humanitarian relief as we have funded Israel to destroy Gaza, should be accepted as a resolution--and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Atrocious Joe posted:

:stare:

welp

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EQHvThtTFY

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Al! posted:

the arrests and pleas will show up on a background check for sure lol

The free speech country sure does love arresting protestors and holding that arrest against them forever :thunk:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

its gettin spicy in here

e: no longer spicy

BONGHITZ has issued a correction as of 06:43 on Apr 24, 2024

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Willa Rogers posted:

I don't see how "Gaza quiets down" in a way that satisfies the liberation movement here. In the U.S. alone, getting rid of anti-BDS & financial investments are going to be a heavy lift, leaving aside the government's efforts to squelch & criminalize protest. This is a long haul.

Nothing less than the U.S. recognizing an independent & non-occupied Palestinian state, and spending as much money toward reconstruction & humanitarian relief as we have funded Israel to destroy Gaza, should be accepted as a resolution--and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Yeah, I was specifically thinking of the Iraq protests in 2003 when I wrote that. It is a long haul, and I think we're still just at the beginning of it.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

had to turn the columbia student radio feed off because their coverage was winding down and they started playing experimental jazz

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

skooma512 posted:

The free speech country sure does love arresting protestors and holding that arrest against them forever :thunk:

Oh boy here we go with the whiners complaining about their freeze peach again :smug:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Autisanal Cheese posted:

had to turn the columbia student radio feed off because their coverage was winding down and they started playing experimental jazz

their hip hop shows are awesome. my coworker listens to it all the time and told me about the coverage today.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Stringent posted:

I think fnln is right. The big difference here between these protests and the George Floyd protests is that, except for Obama intervening to end the NBA strike, the ruling class never really put their thumbs on the scale in a visible way. Now you have poo poo like this, which I think does represent a change.

buddy, i had hmmwvs visible from the front of my place for like 5 months, and there were roaming squads of riot cops patrolling downtown. the geogre floyd protests were met with action and subversion because they were actually doing things like rioting, shutting down businesses, and highways. not only were the ruling class doing their usual media routine, they were also using every bit of state violence short of openly attacking protestors with lethal weapons.

these are more like occupy, something that can be talked at for a while before being swept by riot cops at 4am. anything happening is an own goal because these protests are fundamentally not doing anything except talking.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

jetz0r posted:

buddy, i had hmmwvs visible from the front of my place for like 5 months, and there were roaming squads of riot cops patrolling downtown. the geogre floyd protests were met with action and subversion because they were actually doing things like rioting, shutting down businesses, and highways. not only were the ruling class doing their usual media routine, they were also using every bit of state violence short of openly attacking protestors with lethal weapons.

these are more like occupy, something that can be talked at for a while before being swept by riot cops at 4am. anything happening is an own goal because these protests are fundamentally not doing anything except talking.

Yeah, that's what I meant earlier about being content to just let the system work rather than intervening in a way which draws attention to themselves.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

skooma512 posted:

how weird you can say anything you like until it hurts powerful monetary interests, must be just an innocent coincidence

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CheetoVonTito posted:

Good news- Daddy is back, kids!
We missed you Abu Obaida!

https://x.com/warfareanalysis/status/1782782311148486697?s=46

absolute brigade boss

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jetz0r posted:

maybe they're just better at protesting than you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Deliberately conflating opposition to Israeli genocide with antisemitism, and, to put it bluntly, crying out while striking people, is about the worst thing someone who cared about Jewish people in the diaspora more than Israel could do, for Christ's sake.

They're going to fuel actual antisemitism, or at least make people indifferent to it. The lying about victimization, on campus, now, is even more incendiary, because people can see that they're lying and will think they're lying about other instances of antisemitism.

This is a tricky argument, but I do know that I don't trust any statistics on "rise in antisemitism" anymore. And at least in NL they've lumped in "antisemitism" with "racism and discrimination", and are reporting a significant rise in the latter, which means I can't trust that anymore either.

Which is really bad.