Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Space, the final frontier…
The game is Star Trek Adventures a new Star Trek elfgame put out by Modiphius and is based on their 2d20 system. It’s heavily narrative-focused, with a Trait/Value system not unlike FATE’s Aspects. You can pick up the game for pretty cheap over at DriveThru. I’d recommend the PDF version over the hard copy, as there were a pretty disappointing number of copy editing issues in the version that first went to print. The dead trees version is apparently big and beautiful though.

...these are the voyages…
I have no idea if this game will work in a PbP format, but since it’s a roleplay-heavy game, I’d like to give it a shot. My goal is to run one of the officially-published “episodes” as a test, and then see what happens from there. It might fizzle out, or it might be cool, who knows!

Oh, speaking of the “episodes”. Modiphius built this game to feel very much like an actual episode of Star Trek, involving use of theatrical scenes in which not every player character is active at once. There’s a mechanic for having the player control NPCs directly, but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. Since this is a PbP game, there’s really nothing that says we can’t have multiple scenes happening concurrently.

...to boldly go where no one has gone before!
I’m going to be shooting for a group of 4-5 players, assuming interest is high enough. Since this is more a test than anything, I'll be playing the officially-published stuff from the Living Campaign.

Here’s some things to know for character applications:
  • Era of Play: we’ll be going with the game’s default setting, the year 2371 (stardate 48xxx). The USS Enterprise-D has just been destroyed over Veridian III, the Federation is still reeling from a disastrous first contact with the Dominion (though we aren’t yet at war), and the USS Voyager has just gone missing in the Badlands and is presumed lost with all hands. Uniforms are the ones shown in Star Trek: Voyager.
  • How much of a Trek sperg do I need to be for this game?: the assumption here is that if you like Star Trek enough to want to play an RPG of it, you probably don’t have anything to worry about. A casual knowledge of Trek from you watching TNG on Netflix or something will be just fine.
  • Ranks/Positions: go hog wild here. Just bear in mind that you’re all Starfleet officers -- if you want to play a civilian advisor or something like that, talk with me about it. You all are supposed to play the “main characters” of our little TV series, but that doesn’t mean you all necessarily need to be high-ranking staff. Ranks are loosely tied to some of the Talents you take as part of character creation: if you take the Untapped Potential talent, you default to a maximum beginning rank of Lieutenant (JG); likewise, if you take the Veteran talent, you default to a minimum beginning rank of Lieutenant Commander. The “default” assumed by the game is that you are an Experienced Officer between Lieutenant JG and Lieutenant Commander. Hopefully the flexibility of character generation means we get a good mix, and a bunch of different roles are filled.
  • What roles are there to fill on a starship?: We don’t need a player in every single area, but for ideas, the main cast would normally be made up of: captain, first officer (sometimes also combined with a department head), science officer, chief engineer, chief medical officer, flight controller/navigator, operations manager (Data/Harry Kim), chief of security/tactical.
  • Lifepath Character Creation: is pretty cool and will tend to help you write your character’s background for you, and I suggest using it. There are alternate rules for directly assigning points/etc. if you’d prefer to do that.
  • Backstory: I don’t need or want a novel on your character’s backstory, just a short (paragraph or two) narrative segment that leverages your Traits/Values/Focuses and explains a little something about your characters’ history, experiences, and expertise. Assume that the ship we’ll be using is either just off the assembly line, or just coming off of a major refit, and you’re therefore all new to the assignment.
  • Pregens or pre-built characters: there are pregens available in the Living Campaign material from Modiphius. If you want to use one of these, or if you want me to help you through character creation because you don’t own the book, just let me know here or via PM.
  • Homebrew character species?: if you’d like to play a character from a species not mentioned in the official material, I found this list of some dude’s homebrewed species. Feel free to pick one from there if you feel it makes sense to the story… nothing in that list pops out as OVERLY broken to me. Things I’ll be explicitly ruling out for story reasons are: Androids, Augments, Changelings, and Holograms.

:siren: When submitting a character concept and sheet, please also answer the following questions, which I will use to help customize the pilot episode:
  • Which kind of ship do you prefer to fly: Old and Busted, Tried and True, or New Hotness?
  • Which TV series best matches the tone of game you would like to play in: TOS (swashbuckling and campy), TNG (a bit of everything), DS9 (intrigue and war), VOY (who even knows).

:siren: Recruitment will stay open until at least Wednesday, December 20th unless interest starts petering out :siren:

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Interested, picked it up and reading through it now. Would Cardassians or Ferengi characters be allowed? Relatedly, I can answer the two questions: I'd prefer either an Old and Busted or Tried and True ship, and for tone DS9 or TNG, leaning towards DS9. it's me i'm the niner

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

If you can come up with a good and believable reason why a Cardassian or a Ferengi would be in Starfleet or working with them, go for it! Bear in mind the Federation was just at war with the Cardassians like ten years ago, and will be again in the near future.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 11, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Color me interested, and I'd go for the captain role if I could get it. For ship I'd prefer Tried and True or New Hotness, and tonally I'm all about TNG (sans Wesley).

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

That's fair, and it leaves an opening for ~drama~

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Forums Terrorist posted:

Interested, picked it up and reading through it now. Would Cardassians or Ferengi characters be allowed? Relatedly, I can answer the two questions: I'd prefer either an Old and Busted or Tried and True ship, and for tone DS9 or TNG, leaning towards DS9. it's me i'm the niner

Niner all the way here, too. I'd be down for this, the Far Trek game you ran previously was fun for the brief time I played. Getting the rules for this one right now, I'll try to put something together later when I'm off work.

Transcendent
Jun 24, 2002

Lager posted:

I'd be down for this, the Far Trek game you ran previously was fun for the brief time I played. Getting the rules for this one right now, I'll try to put something together later when I'm off work.

Same!

I'd vote tried and true ship and TNG tone.

(Comedy option: just run The Orville reskinned back to Star Trek.)

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Consider me interested as well. I'll go for chief medical officer if everyone else would prefer the other career tracks.

Tonally, I think we should look at TNG. As for our ship, give us a tried and true ship. (please god don't stick us onto a Miranda, those things are deathtraps.)

As an aside, I had one of my friends create a character for an online game, and I had him roll his two career events randomly. He rolled two 1s on 2d20. I told him to reroll one of them, "Sky [his character] didn't survive having two Starfleet vessels blowing up around her. Nobody's that unlucky."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Snorb posted:

(please god don't stick us onto a Miranda, those things are deathtraps.)

I'll have you know the Miranda is a beautiful and noble starshi--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynrXKI3EJFU

Oh.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm interested. I'll make a science officer.

Also, TNG, Tried and True

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 12, 2017

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Interested. I'll roll up a science officer.

Old and busted; Voyager :catdrugs:

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

The Bible posted:

Old and busted; Voyager :catdrugs:

I think the Intrepid class is Starfleet's newest hotness in 2371.

Me, I would prefer a Sovereign or an Odyssey, but the Sovereign is still three years away, and the Odyssey is a bit over 30 years away. (Plus there's no official stats for them yet.)

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Baws was raised in a somewhat Bohemian fashion, brought up alongside a venerable troupe of actors (rumor has it they were originally the Karidian Players, though Baws denies it with a smirk and a wink). Raised on a succession of starships as his parents and their fellow performers made their way across the galaxy, Baws absorbed cultures, languages, and customs like a sponge. At the age of seventeen, Baws was a developing actor when his parents and their troupe were almost killed by a surprise attack during the first Cardassian war. They never ventured too close to any war zones, as a matter of good common sense, but the Cardassians managed to sneak a series of ships far behind Federation lines. Witnessing the courageous actions of the USS Rutledge, Baws was inspired. These were men of action and distinction - the type of characters that Baws had been hoping to play all his life! He signed up for entry into Starfleet Academy the next week.

While at the academy, Baws showed significant aptitude as a pilot and learned quite a bit about security protocols, trying to shape himself into the man he wanted to be. Fresh out of the academy, he was taken under the wing of Admiral Gilhouly, serving as the Admiral's personal pilot. Ensign Rinaro, at that time, soaked up everything she could teach him about diplomacy and protocol, hoping to move his way up the command track and eventually get command of his own ship. Serving with Admiral Gilhouly, Rinaro made himself indispensable in negotiations with the Talarians. Serving with distinction on a series of ships, Baws has gained a reputation as a team player. While initially driven to climb the ladder, Rinaro now describes himself as collaborative rather than competitive.

quote:

Name: Baws Rinaro
Species: Bolian
Environment: Starship
Assignment: First Officer
Traits: Bolian
Upbringing: Artistic/Creative

Attributes

Insight: 11
Presence: 12
Reason: 9
Daring: 7
Control: 9
Fitness: 8

Disciplines

Command: 5
Conn: 4
Security: 3
Engineering: 1
Science: 2
Medicine: 1

Values

A Starship is a Home, it's Crew a Family
Together We Are Stronger
Voice of the Crew
There's Nothing That Can't Be Solved with a Good Conversation

Talents

Gregarious
Follow My Lead
Defuse the Tension
Veteran

Focuses

Etiquette
Diplomacy
Persuasion
Team Dynamics
Helm Operations
Evasive Actions

Stress: 11

Damage Bonus: 3

Equipment: Communicator, Uniforms, Tricorder, Type-2 Phaser

As for the questions, definitely going with Tried and True and DS9

Lager fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 12, 2017

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Snorb posted:

I think the Intrepid class is Starfleet's newest hotness in 2371.

Me, I would prefer a Sovereign or an Odyssey, but the Sovereign is still three years away, and the Odyssey is a bit over 30 years away. (Plus there's no official stats for them yet.)

I know, I was answering the questions given.

Old and busted ship. Voyager tone campaign.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

The Bible posted:

I know, I was answering the questions given.

Old and busted ship. Voyager tone campaign.

Well, that's what I get for not reading!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lookin' good. Just one thing: since he's a Commander, you'd also take Talent: Veteran as part of step 6 (p. 118)

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 12, 2017

OntologicalWarfare
Jul 4, 2013
Can I play a Horta science officer? Maybe an underling science person, if that's already taken.

TNG, old and busted.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

OntologicalWarfare posted:

Can I play a Horta science officer? Maybe an underling science person, if that's already taken.

TNG, old and busted.

That could be fun, go for it! It could be a bit weird, but weirdness can be part of the fun.

And underlings are also totally fine. Not everyone needs to be senior, and not every one of the "major" positions needs to be filled by a player.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 12, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I'm interested, though I have my own dumb homebrew species to toss into the ring.

http://enklave-23.de/STA_Sheets/Species/STA_Species_Iotians.pdf

Probably a Ops Track Security Officer.

Tried and True, TNG

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

unseenlibrarian posted:

I'm interested, though I have my own dumb homebrew species to toss into the ring.

http://enklave-23.de/STA_Sheets/Species/STA_Species_Iotians.pdf

Probably a Ops Track Security Officer.

Tried and True, TNG

You had me at "palooka"

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Drone posted:

Lookin' good. Just one thing: since he's a Commander, you'd also take Talent: Veteran as part of step 6 (p. 118)

Fixed it. In the rules I couldn't figure out whether experienced officer had a rank restriction or not.

In other news, I have determined that Bolians are basically Hobbits. This explains so much...

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I am sorely tempted to make some bumbling ensign or butterbar lt engineer who is bad at his job. Tho I just realized that is almost describing Barkley.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lager posted:

Fixed it. In the rules I couldn't figure out whether experienced officer had a rank restriction or not.

In other news, I have determined that Bolians are basically Hobbits. This explains so much...

So Bolians are Hobbits, Tellarites are Dwarves, Vulcans are Elves... are Klingons Orcs?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Drone posted:

So Bolians are Hobbits, Tellarites are Dwarves, Vulcans are Elves... are Klingons Orcs?

Them or the Jem'Hadar.

Edit: Actually the Jem'Hadar are probably Uruk-hai. And now I've officially spent too much time on this analogy.

OntologicalWarfare
Jul 4, 2013

Drone posted:

yup

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
All right. Character is created; no picture at the moment because I used Star Trek Online to generate one and that doesn't exactly handle "humanoid faces" or "recolor the Deep Space Nine uniform when applied to your character so it doesn't have the same colors as the Odyssey uniform" very well... but I digress.

quote:

Name: Kollen Paron
Species: Trill
Environment: Species Homeworld (Trill)
Assignment: Medical Officer, USS [fill in later]
Traits: Trill, Prosthetic Arm
Upbringing: Science/Technology (accepted)
Career Events: Negotiate a Treaty, Serious Injury

Control 11 Daring 8 Fitness 9 Insight 10 Presence 8 Reason 10

Command 2 Conn 1 Engineering 1 Medicine 5 Science 4 Security 3

Values
It Is Possible to Do Everything Perfectly And Still Lose
You're Not Dying On Me
Our First Duty Is to the Truth
There's Always Time For Tea

Talents
Former Initiate (May reroll Control/Reason dice pool when spending Determination to buy +1d20)
Collaboration [Medicine] (May spend Momentum to grant ally Kollen's Medicine score/focuses when they make a Medicine roll)
Field Medicine (Cancel Difficulty increase for making Medicine rolls without proper equipment)
Quick Study (Cancel Difficulty increase for rolls involving unfamiliar medical techniques/treating unfamiliar species)

Focuses
Genetics
Surgery
Xenobiology
Emergency Medicine
Creative Writing
Federation Politics

Stress 12

Damage Bonus: +3dC

Equipment
Uniforms (Mid 2370s, Science Division, Lt. Cmdr.)
Combadge
Tricorder (Medical)
Type I Phaser (2dC , one-handed, Charge, Hidden 1)

Daughter of a doctor and an engineer, Kollen spent her formative years on Trill, usually curled up in a corner with a stack of PADDs at her side. She always wanted to be like her mother, a prominent doctor with the Trill Symbiosis Commission, and so every minute of spare time was devoted to learning about Trill physiology. When Kollen was deemed unsuitable for Joining in 2356, she was disappointed, but took it in stride; even without the knowledge of several lifetimes, she still had the intelligence and drive to get into Starfleet Academy.

During her time at Starfleet Academy and Starfleet Medical, Kollen proved to be a fast learner in the fields of medicine and science. The young doctor was part of a Federation delegation negotiating the truce that would end the Federation-Cardassian Wars in 2367, picking up some pointers on Federation politics. During these negotiations, her ship was fired on by a Galor-class battleship, her captain hoping to prolong the War. Several members of the Lovell's crew, including Kollen, were injured; Kollen herself lost her arm. While in recovery, she took up a new hobby- creative writing.

Now awaiting her next assignment, Kollen hopes to continue helping her fellow Starfleet officers and crew remain in good health, no matter where in the galaxy they are.

Snorb fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 25, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Looks good! Snorb, you mentioned you'd done some STA before.. have you already run through any of the Living Campaign stuff? If so, lemme know, wouldn't want you to have to run it again.

Same goes for everyone I guess. They've only put out like... three Living Campaign missions set in this era so far.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm interested in this game, I'm probably going to app an engineer. I'm still undecided on their race at the moment.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Drone posted:

Looks good! Snorb, you mentioned you'd done some STA before.. have you already run through any of the Living Campaign stuff?

No Living Campaign stuff, but the group I play with did go through the sample adventure in the corebook.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

After brainstorming, I decided not to go with a Cardie or Ferengi since I couldn't come up with any backstories I liked, so I went with a Bajoran instead! I'll put a STO mugshot together later but for now:

quote:

Name: Latara Mabrin
Role: Security Officer, USS (blank)
Species: Bajoran
Environment: Homeworld
Upbringing: Diplomacy and Politics (Accepted)
Academy: Operations Track
Career: Young Officer
Career Events: Mentored, Special Commendation

Stress: 13
Damage Bonus: 4

Traits: Bajoran

Values:

What You Are In The Dark
A Good Plan Now Beats A Perfect Plan Later
Driven To Ease Suffering
My Sponsor, Captain McAllister

Control: 10
Daring: 11
Fitness: 9
Insight: 9
Presence: 9
Reason: 8

Command: 3
Conn: 3
Engineering: 2
Security: 4
Medicine: 2

Focuses:

Espionage
Hand Phasers
Infiltration
Survival
Composure
Emergency Medicine

Talents:

Strong Pagh
Bold (Security)
Untapped Potential
Close Protection

Equipment:

Communicator
Uniform
Tricorder
Phaser (Type-2)

Born in 2346 on then-Occupied Bajor, Mabrin spent most of his youth in a refugee camp; his parents passed on their faith to him, and tried to shield him from the worst excesses of the Cardassians. They were aided in this by the crooked Glinn in charge of the camp, who would "misplace" rations or lie about punishments if the refugees had the latinum. Because of this, Mabrin was able to spend his youth learning about the Prophets and Bajor's rich history. Shortly after his turning 11, however, the camp was visited by Gul Alket, chief executioner at the time. Central Command had heard about the camp commandant corruption, felt he was a threat to order, and moreover thought that the Resistance was using it as a place to regroup. The Glinn was reassigned, and Alket ordered every third refugee searched, interrogated and if judged prudent, killed. The entire process took two weeks, and while Mabrin himself was spared, and his mother was judged non-threatening, his father never left the interrogation chamber.

The suddenness of it served to radicalize the camp, and Mabrin along with it; he sought out Resistance members, and at 14 took part in his first raid. His teenage years were a cycle of hiding in caves and wilderness, striking out, and evading patrols. Mabrin met a lot of good people in his cell, and saw a lot of them die or disappear, but his and their faith, both in the Prophets and in Bajor, never waivered. His biggest test came at the age of 16. His cell bombed an outpost, killing most of the garrison, but one of the survivors was a young Cardassian boy, presumably the son of one of the soldiers. Some in the cell had wanted to shoot her or leave her to her fate. Mabrin couldn't bring himself to do that, so he went behind their backs and took the child to the nearest orphanage; he wasn't trusted completely by his comrades in arms after that, but Mabrin never backed down. As far as he was concerned, that boy didn't ask to be the son of tyrants.

Three years later, his cell raided a major prisoner of war camp. Apparently a Federation ship had been destroyed by the Cardassians and they'd interned the survivors on Bajor. They were given clandestine support and told to liberate one prisoner in particular, Captain McAllister, who had highly sensitive information. The raid itself was a success, but as they were moving the Captain to the drop off point, the Cardassians jumped them. They'd intercepted the message and put a tracker on McAllister, and in the firefight that followed, Mabrin and his cell mates fought valiantly but hopelessly. As it came down to McAllister and Mabrin, the USS Exeter arrived, and Mabrin used the last of his disruptor's battery to fire at the Cardassians' transporter jammer, and the two were beamed out.

As he was recovering in the Exeter's sickbay, Mabrin was informed that he'd been beamed out as well in part because McAllister saw him as Starfleet material, and was willing to give him a chance and sign off on an application to the Academy if he'd take it. Mabrin agreed, in part because by now he had few other options. At the Academy, Mabrin put his practical experience to good use, majoring in Security, and ranking within the top 10 percent of his year. Upon graduation, he found himself assigned to Captain McAllister, and he spent much of this time learning about the intricacies of command, Starfleet life, and piloting shuttles full of brass around. At one point, while serving with her on the USS Apollo, he saved 17 crewmember's lives when an EPS conduit blew and started a plasma fire; Mabrin braved the flames to drag several injured crewmenbers to safety and, once they were all in sickbay, offered his assistance in treating the wounded. The commendation earned him a pip, and the newly minted Lieutenant (junior grade) awaits his next assignment.

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 24, 2017

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Iskander "Andy" Kadek
Human Engineering Officer

Iskander Kadek comes from a family of Federation scientists, and spent most of his early life on various starbases and research stations that his family would be stationed at. He picked up a bit of that scientific streak from his parents, but ultimately his interests lay in the practical applications of science rather than basic research. His father was disappointed when Iskander announced he would head back to Earth to join Starfleet Academy, and this was not helped by his choice of engineering as a preferred career path. Iskander's mother was more accepting of the decision and still acts as a mediator for the otherwise tense relationship.

Iskander, or "Andy" to his friends, has enjoyed a successful career thus far. The highlight of that career was when a ship he was stationed on got caught in a plasma storm, which overwhelmed the ship's deflector and caused significant damage to the ship. Iskander's commanding officer at the time was incapacitated, forcing the young officer to take command himself. He personally solved the problem of rerouting power through the ships fusion conduits to bypass the fried power systems, restoring the deflector shield long enough for the ship to escape the storm and send a distress signal.

Because of his actions, Iskander was promoted and assigned to be Chief Engineer on the USS...

I'd vote for TNG and Tried and True

pre:
Name: Iskander "Andy" Kadek 
Role: Cheif Engineer
Species: Human
Environment: Starbase 
Upbringing: Science and Technology (Accepted)
Academy: Engineering 
Career: Expirienced Officer
Career Events: 
Required to Take Command
Solved an Engineering Crisis

Stress: 11
Damage Bonus: 3

Traits: Human

Values:

No problem is unsolvable 
Home is where your heart is
The team is more important than the kit
Do not ask what you would not do yourself

Control: 12
Daring: 9
Fitness: 8
Insight: 8
Presence: 8
Reason: 11

Conn: 1
Engineering: 5
Security: 3
Science: 3

Focuses:
Power Systems
Computers
Warp Engines
Transporters/Replicators 
Deflector Shields 
Lead by Example 

Talents: 
I Know My Ship
In the nick of time
Intense Scrutiny
Technical Expertise

Equipment:
Communicator
Uniform
Communicator
Engineer's Toolkit
Tricorder
Phaser (Type-1)

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
pre:
Name: Algar Konin
Role: Science Officer
Species: Betazoid
Environment: Homeworld 
Upbringing: Science and Technology (Accepted)
Academy:  Sciences Track
Career:  Experienced Officer
Career Events:Called Out a Superior, Death of a Friend

Stress: 10
Damage Bonus: 1

Traits: 

Betazoid

Values:
Honesty and Openness Lead to Understanding
All Problems have Solutions
Starfleet's Mission is Exploration
It's Not Always Easy to Do the Right Thing, but it's Important

Control: 9
Daring: 8
Fitness: 9
Insight: 10
Presence: 9 
Reason: 11

Conn: 2
Security: 1
Science: 5
Medicine: 3

Focuses:

Botany
Anthropology
Zoology
Psychology
Uniform Code of Justice
Counseling

Talents:

Telepath
Testing a Theory
Technical Expertise
Intense Scrutiny

Equipment:

Communicator
Uniform
Tricorder
Phaser (Type-1)
"My childhood? You want to know aout my childhood? There's not much to tell. I grew up on Betazed. My parents were university researchers, and my childhood was normal. I'm not going to say it was all happiness and rainbows. I had my disappointments, like everyone does, my regrets, but it was a normal childhood. My parents loved me and took care of me. There's not much to say. No, my parents were happy that I joined Starfleet. Worried, maybe, but you know how that goes. Lets be honest, Doctor. You don't want to know about my childhood or my time in the academy. You want to know about Sindic III.

We had beamed down; myself, the Captain, Dr. T'lar, and Kyle....err, Lieutenant Hargreaves. Our scans had suggested that some of the flora on the planet might have had medicinal properties, and Dr. T'lar had suggested that with some samples, she might be able to isolate the promising biochemistry. We were down there for, oh, I don't know, about an hour, when an electrical storm came in that disrupted communications and transporters. It was in the middle of the storm that we saw it....the creature that the Captain would name the Crystal Shard, I took some scans of it, and then a bolt of energy came out of it and hit Ky...Lieutenant Hargreaves. It killed him. The rest of us ran. We got to a cave that shielded us from the creature, but we were stuck in there, unable to leave, unable to communicate with the ship, and unable to transport out. We looked at the scans, and realized that generating the right frequency would shatter the thing. But I had....sensed something when we confronted the creature. It was strange, not like the thoughts and feelings that I get from humanoids, or even animals, but I thought....I KNEW, the thing was alive and that it was intelligent. I tried to tell the Captain. I tried to explain that with subsonic waves, we could talk to it. I begged him....said that it was Starfleet's mission to seek out new life, and this was new life. He didn't care, though. It was just a crystal, he said, a natural phenomenon, and a danger. It had killed Lieutenant Hargreaves, and it was dangerous. He gave me the order.

When we were out there, facing it, I decided I had to try to communicate with it, at least. As it drew closer, I kept cycling through low level pulses, hoping to get an answer, but all the captain saw was that I had frozen out there. Finally, just before it was on us, Dr. T'lar fired the frequency pulse, destroying it. I know that I've been accused of cowardice, of disobeying an order; of putting the crew in danger, but Doctor, just at the end, I communicated with it. It was intelligent. When I scanned it, originally, I had hurt it, and it was just defending itself. It wouldn't have killed Kyle if it had known.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 19, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

"Look, I've testified at enough military tribunals for you to get all my background information from public records, so let's just go over the highlights, shall we?

Yes, I was born and raised on the edge of the Neutral Zone. I learned the paradox of peace early: to ensure peace, prepare for war. I also learned early that if war came, me and everyone I ever knew would be the first to die. Peace buys time, and time is invaluable.

Next you'd ask about my assignment on the Morning Star and what will likely go down in history as the worst disaster of a first contact mission in the Federation. The Captain, First Officer, the whole away team killed, and for what? A handful of phasers and tricorders. Then they broadcast an official declaration of war and in the same breath, propose a scheduled negotiation of 'co-existence and non-interference'. Don't give me that look, I heard the arguments about cultural differences and how they were trying to gain leverage against an obviously more technologically advanced civilization. I knew they were trying to buy time to reverse-engineer our phasers into their own weapons technology. Well, I was acting Captain, a warp-capable civilization declared war on us. I ended that war quickly and decisively.

And yes, that will lead directly into your next question, when I was First Officer under mister Drexler aboard the Quetzalcoatl. I'm sure he chose me as his First Officer because of the previous incident. I'm sure he thought I was some thug or blunt instrument he could wield. And I'm sure he was surprised when I did not assassinate that Klingon ambassador like he ordered me to. I'm just glad Starfleet stripped him of his rank before handing him over to the Klingons for execution.

So with all that out of the way, you're going to point out the reservations that Starfleet Command had in making me Captain of my own starship. Maybe you'll ask the boring question about how my crew feels about me, or maybe you'll ask the slightly more insightful question about whether I myself have any reservations. Either way, the answer is that we are not defined by our feelings, but by our actions. Time will tell."

pre:
Name: Jason Blackstone
Role: Commanding Officer
Environment: Frontier Colony
Traits: Human
Upbringing: Diplomacy and Politics
Career: Veteran
Career Events: Required to Take Command, Called Out a Superior

Attributes

Insight: 7
Presence: 10
Reason: 12
Daring: 9
Control: 11
Fitness: 7

Disciplines

Command: 5
Conn: 3
Science: 1

Values

The Paradox of Peace
The Most Valuable Asset is Time
A Ship is Only as Good as its Crew
We Are Not Them

Talents

Resolute (+3 Stress)
Constantly Watching (When attempting Task to detect danger or hidden enemies, reduce Difficulty by 1.)
Defuse the Tension (When attempting Task to persuade someone against violence, add a bonus d20.)
Veteran (When spending Determination, roll 1d6. On an Effect, regain spent Determination.)

Focuses

Espionage
Diplomacy
Starship Recognition
Persuasion
Composure
Starfleet Protocol

Stress: 14

Equipment

Communicator
Uniform
Phaser type-2

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So it looks like the only roles that haven't been applied for so far are Helm and Ops (ops is a pretty optional and kinda boring role anyway). Leaving this open for one more day just to see if anyone else squeaks through to drive the ship.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Heather never believed she would see the day that she was actually promoted to the Bridge Crew of a starship, let alone to the Pilot's seat.

She was a good enough Pilot, of course. Maybe even a great one, but her history with Starfleet had been somewhat checkered, leaving her typically flying delivery shuttlecraft and escorting diplomats.

Her first ship, the Golden Goose, had been destroyed in an encounter with the Romulans. A Starfleet distress signal had been detected in the Demilitarized Zone, and her captain had decided to cross into it, taking the bait of an obvious trap. Heather had argued herself blue in the face with the stubborn man, but his order stood, and she was ordered to take a shuttlecraft out to scout.

Moments after disembarking, a Warbird decloaked and blew the Science Vessel into atoms, taking her entire crew with it.

Her shuttle was small and agile enough to evade the warship's weapons, and she was able to get out of range of it and sent off a distress signal of her own, resulting in her eventual rescue 3 days later.

That was 4 years ago, and someone, somewhere, for some reason, saw fit to recommend her to the helm of this ship. Heather wasn't sure to thank that person, or knock them out.

quote:

Heather Carter
Role: Pilot
Environment: Starship
Upbringing: Starfleet (rebelled)
Starfleet Academy: Command Track
Career: Experienced Officer
Career Events: Ship Destroyed, Called Out a Superior

Attributes:

Insight: 8
Presence: 7
Reason: 9
Daring: 12
Control: 10
Fitness: 10

Disciplines:

Command: 2
Conn: 5

Values:
A Ship is a Home
Friendship over Authority
Diplomacy First, but Fists if Necessary
Bent Rules Aren't Really Broken

Talents:
Resolute (+3 Max Stress)
Precise Evasion (When succeeding at Evasive Task, spend two Momentum to avoid increased Difficulty for attacks caused by Evasion Action)
Starship Expert (When succeeding at a Conn Task to ID a type of starship, gain a bonus momentum to be spent on Obtain Information, or pay part of the cost of Create Advantage where Advantage must represent weakness in ship being studied.)
Cautious (Conn) (When attempting a Conn task and spending Momentum to buy more d20s, a single d20 may be rerolled.)

Focuses:
Helm Operation
Evasive Action
Composure
Starfleet Protocol
Ground Vehicles
Zero-G Training

Stress: 17

Equipment:
Commbadge
Tricorder
Type-1 Phaser

The Bible fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 20, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Crew post and our OP for the PBP will be coming up tomorrow... sorry for the delay, I just got married two days ago and life's been a bit busy! :3:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Drone posted:

Crew post and our OP for the PBP will be coming up tomorrow... sorry for the delay, I just got married two days ago and life's been a bit busy! :3:

Marriage, more important than Star Trek?! How illogical.

Seriously, though, congratulations on the marriage. Take your time and have fun.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Congrats, and no rush. I just flew into Minnesota for the weekend, hoping to find an apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

:siren: Game thread is here! :siren:

Starfleet Command posted:

To the below named officers, stardate 48125. You are hereby requested and required to assume stations aboard USS Fearless, NCC-14598 before departing for the Shackleton Expanse.

Signed,
Vice Admiral Hayes
Starfleet Command

USS Fearless Duty Roster posted:

Commanding Officer: CAPT Jason Blackstone (played by CirclMastr)
First Officer: CMDR Baws Rinaro (played by Lager)
Chief Science Officer: LCDR Algar Konin (played by Epicurius)
Chief Medical Officer: LCDR Dr. Kollen Paron (played by Snorb)
Chief Engineer: LT Iskander "Andy" Kadek (played by professor_curly)
Chief of Security/Tactical: LTJG Latara Mabrin (played by Forums Terrorist)
Flight Control Officer: ENS Heather Carter (played by The Bible)

Decided to expand the size of the game so that we fill each role, since we had the exact perfect number of applicants for it.

We also got a pretty firm response on having a TNG-style tone to the game, with maybe bits of DS9 peppered in here and there. Most of you also voted for the Tried & True ship class, but Old & Busted came in second. To keep from going through awful analysis paralysis that always happens when a group needs to agree on a ship type, I used these guidelines to assign you to a ship myself.

Ship Specifications posted:

USS Fearless
Excelsior-class
NCC-14598

Mission Profile: Multirole Explorer

Systems:
Comms 08
Engines 11
Structure 11
Computers 09
Sensors 10
Weapons 10

Departments:
Command 3
Security 2
Science 2
Conn 2
Engineering 4
Medicine 2

Scale: 5
Resistance: 5
Shields: 13
Power: 16
Crew Support: 5

Attacks:
Phaser Banks (8d6 Damage, Versatile 2, Range [Medium])
Photon Torpedoes (5d6 Damage, High Yield, Range [Long])
Tractor Beam (Strength 4)

Traits:
Federation Starship
Long-Serving

Talents:
Improved Impulse Drive
Secondary Reactors
Rugged Design
High Resolution Sensors
Backup EPS Conduits

The Fearless is a ship with a long and storied history in Starfleet. Having served for decades under over a dozen different captains, she has seen service in all corners of the Federation. Owing to the Excelsior-class's legendary adaptability, regular refits have allowed the Fearless to stay up-to-date with modern Federation technology and continue her service on the edges of the frontier.

Her last major overhaul was several years ago, but minor adjustments have been made recently at McKinley Station in order to outfit the Fearless with a suite of highly-sensitive astrometric sensors, which will be necessary on her upcoming mission in the Shackleton Expanse. And since she's an Excelsior, the Fearless comes with extensive engineering facilities -- there's a reason why this spaceframe has served for nearly a century.

:siren: Game thread is here! :siren:

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 22, 2017

• Locked thread