Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

FuhrerHat posted:

how are dabbawalas classed

Good question, I didn't know either. For context, Dabbawalas are workers in Mumbai who deliver a hot lunch from your house to your office, then take the dish back when you're done. They're insanely efficient and accurate, like better than most Fortune 500 companies, despite being staffed by illiterates who just use a simple coded disc to explain where the dish comes and goes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dabbawala

I'd assumed that they're gathered in from various castes, particularly as I could see a lot of peasant farmers moving to the big city and taking it up as a job since their old skills had no crossover. Some sources I've perused say that Dabbawala is becoming its own caste since sons tend to inherit their father's routes, and others say that they're lumped together from various castes (though they shouldn't be Dalit, since ritual pollution applies to food). A few sources mention that they're all descended from the Malwa caste, which I hadn't even heard of (other than Malwa being a region), but the same sources also have a bunch of red-flag caste puffery like "descended from the Maratha hero-king Shivaji" so those sources aren't academically rigorous.

Arrhythmia posted:

What are some other Dalit castes? What is the shittiest shitsville human rights abuse?

For the second half of your question, one of the (metaphorically) shittiest jobs, and definitely the literally shittiest job, is known by the euphemism "manual scavenging". Basically it's a Dalit job where (with no protective equipment whatsoever) you go down into outhouses and latrine pits to scoop out the poo poo by hand to free up more space. In areas with actual sewage systems, they go underground (again with no pro gear) to dislodge clogs by hand. Other variants include emptying septic tanks, or going down the railroad tracks to pick up any poo poo dropped from train-car bathrooms along the route.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_scavenging

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

that dude's facial hair is way more trim and neat than mine and he climbs into poo poo holes for pennies

i'm such a slob

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LGD posted:

I think there's a possible alternative interpretation of that one- in the absence of immediate existential dangers the people doing the accounting, record keeping and administration may be significantly more dangerous (and/or a necessary/desirable guide)

ahhhh yeah that's pretty good. For a weird indian caste/career burn I mean

I was reading it as clerks will hold their nose above you but if you pressure them and don't let them browbeat you they will lose that sense of superiority

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
If all of this seems backwards and arcane to you, don't forget India has a population of over a billion, plus nuclear weapons:

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hindus have a subset of society so poor they have to eat sewer and dumpster rats, and their response is to abuse these people and laugh at their misery. Just let that simmer for a little while.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KomodoWagon posted:

Hindus have a subset of society so poor they have to eat sewer and dumpster rats, and their response is to abuse these people and laugh at their misery. Just let that simmer for a little while.

and they have nukes and we are totally ok with this

And chances are your doctor will be from there

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 4, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

KomodoWagon posted:

all the clothes you own got made somewhere worse

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You don't know me

but yeah

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I had a landlord that said his family were one of those Warrior castes, he was from Kashmir I believe.

He hated Muslims more than the most die hard Trump supporter.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nah more like the same if not actually there

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bangladesh has pretty much the same HDI as India, Turkey and China are much better off... Those should cover the main textile manufacturing regions.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KomodoWagon posted:

tbf there's also a pretty large leftist insurgency going on in India.

• Locked thread