Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

They say that long ago, seasons changed. They say that it wasn’t just cold, it could be warm too. That whatever ended the Golden Age seemed to halt time. That when the Maelstrom came, it broke everything about the world.

Is it true? In the end, does it even matter?

This is a recruitment for a PbP Apocalypse World game in a world where it’s always fall. Beyond that, I don’t really have any major ideas so world building will be part of character creation. Feel free to add what you like to the world as part of your app. I’m looking for 4-5 PCs, no more beyond that.

For playbooks, everything from core is fine. However, most of the Limited Edition ones have a big impact on the game that doesn’t quite work out with this kind of recruit setup since you’ll all be making characters separately. So only the Faceless and News are allowed.

I set up a Discord server for the game (https://discord.gg/eTFWYXg). Come in and join, feel free to ask questions or just hang out. Having the group in a server chatting about the game helps keep it alive, in my experience so I’d like it if you were able to hang around even after recruitment is over.

Here are some links:

Basic Reference PDF, contains the core playbooks and moves

Extended Playbooks, if you’re interested in playing a Faceless or News or want to look at their moves

Apocolypse World games can touch on sex, don’t be creepy about it. Let me know if you have any issues or worries you’d like to discuss, either over PMs on the forums or through Discord.

Post your character sheet and a brief bit of background. Art is always cool to have. In addition, answer these three questions:

1) What do you desperately need?
2) Who is someone you have a strong relationship with? (Can be friendly or antagonistic)
3) In what other ways is the world wrong?

I'll ask about 2 or three other questions, and then make once time is up. Recruitment will be open for a little over a week, ending on December 29th. If you feel you’ll need more time, just let me know and make sure you at least have a character sheet up by then.

Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

quote:

Name: Pumpkin
Skin: The Faceless
Look: Concealed, Dead Eyes, Wiry Body
Stats: Cool +1 Hard +2 Hot -1 Sharp 0 Weird +1
Mask: Carved, Painted. Without my mask I am Ashamed and Irresolute.

Moves: Rasputin, Juggernaut, Scent of Blood

Faceless Special: If you and another character have sex, hold 1. If they get into poo poo, either you or they can spend your hold and you are there

Gear: Axe (3 harm hand messy), Concealing Coat (2 Armour), Oddments = 2 barter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OprpAG9zjYk

quote:

Who's that guy, how does he breathe

What is he hiding up his sleeve

I see him out and on the streets and I! can't! even!

Does anyone else see this guy

Or am I losing my mind

He's lurking in the tunnel

What is my! Re! Act! Ion!

He's coming up the street

His shadow stretching from his feet

Into my heart it's beating faster

He's the pump-kin head guy

What's behind the mask

Life comes and goes away too fast

For me to even ask

Nightmare lurking in the woods

When will I wake I wish I Would

Running to my door and I can't find! The! Right! Key!

The moon is taken from the sky

The stars buzz out like dying flies

Whisper in the dark

Oh God he's right! Be! Hind! Me!

He's coming up the street

His shadow stretching from his feet

Into my heart it's beating faster

What's behind the mask

Life comes and goes away too fast

For me to even ask

The window!

I see him!

You cannot see his eyes!

Would his evil eye burn this city

Doooooown?

Puuuuuuuuump

Kiiiiiiiiin

Heeeeeeeeeeeead

Guuuuuuuuuuuuy

Pumpkin head guy!

quote:

What do you desperately need?

Orange paint. Real hard to keep my face in order without it. All these red and orange leaves, but no paint. Blood just goes brown. Useless.

quote:

Who is someone you have a strong relationship with? (Can be friendly or antagonistic)

Woods witch is a...good person. Go see her when I get hurt real bad or confused. She's got magic potions and can do curses, but only if she sees your soul.

quote:

In what other ways is the world wrong?

No horses. It'd be better if I had a horse, but they went with the turning.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 28, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Harvest, the Brainer

A world that never dies, a world that never lives. It is... beautiful.

Some may wish for what once was. Me? I wish for what will come when everyone has embraced the truth of what our world is becoming. I already have. It's made me stronger than people from Before could ever dream of. The Great Rot of the Eternal Autumn has set upon us and there is much to be done before its work is finished. The worthy need to be gathered, harvested from their communities of small-minded fools. The unworthy...? They will be left for the Rot to consume.

Of course, there are those who would stand in the way of my grand mission. I will deal with them in time. For the moment, even with all I have become, I cannot. I am but one hand of the Eternal Autumn and there are all too many who would resist its call.

Power. Personal power, the power of followers, or simply someone with an extraordinarily large gun. It matters little, but my grand mission cannot proceed until I possess strength enough to overwhelm all those who stand against what the Eternal Autumn demands of us.

2) Who is someone you have a strong relationship with?

I have been liaising with a small-time warlord to build up the reserves I need. Razorwire does not meet my long-term expectations for a servant of the Eternal Autumn, but she has proven most amenable to retaining my person with gifts of oddments and influence. I suppose she will be quite unhappy when I choose to leave her side for someone more suitable, but that matters little. Surely any who would meet my expectations or, indeed, have the potential to do so could deal with any complications that might arise.

While the flesh may rot and decay, a person's essence may never escape the Autumn. The small-minded call them ghosts. They surround us, even now. Most are unable to effect their will upon the living, but an essence of exceptional purity and power may transcend that limitation. I call those few revenants. I have only seen one in my time in the Autumn's service, but it painted the walls of Three Valleys Hold with the blood of the living.

The Brainer posted:

Name: Harvest
Look: Woman, Formal Wear, Smooth Face, Deep Eyes, Slight Body

Stats:
Cool +1
Hard +1
Hot -2
Sharp +1
Weird +3

Moves:
Unnatural lust transfixion: when you try to seduce someone, roll+weird instead of roll+hot.

Preternatural at-will brain attunement: you get +1weird (weird+3).

Gear:
Silenced 9mm (2-harm close hi-tech)
Ballistic Weave Cloak (1-armor)
Violation glove (hand hi-tech) For purposes of brainer moves, mere skin contact counts as time and intimacy.
Pain-wave projector (1-harm ap area loud reload hi-tech) Goes off like a reusable grenade. Hits everyone but you.
Oddments worth 8-barter

Brainer Special:
If you and another character have sex, you automatically do a deep brain scan on them, whether you have the move or not. Roll+weird as normal. However, the MC chooses which questions the other character’s player answers.

Hx:
On your turn, ask 1, 2 or all 3:
• Which one of you has slept in my presence (knowingly or un-)?
For that character, write Hx+2.
• Which one of you have I been watching carefully, in secret?
• Which one of you most evidently dislikes and distrusts me?
For that character, write Hx+3.

For everyone else, write Hx+1. You have weird insights into everyone.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 23, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Barracuda, the Gunlugger

Who am I? That depends. I can either be your best friend, or your worst enemy. All depends on which side of the barrel you're on.

I provide a service. A valuable service that people need. Not everybody can deal with the harsh realities of this world, so they come to me. They come to me when they need somebody to protect them, or to make a problem disappear. They pay me to cause mayhem, and destruction. I get paid to do what I love, and the best part? The best part is the rush. The wonderful, wonderful rush I get when I'm outnumbered, and driven to a corner. That amazing thrill I feel when everything is falling down around me, and I don't even know if I'm going to survive or not. It's almost... euphoric, and I get to experience those incredible feelings, constantly.

There's no shortage of people who want to do violence to others, and I'm always willing to do that violence for them. For a price, of course.

quote:

I want to experience it again. How do I even begin to describe it?

It happened while I was being chased by the Blood Ravens. They weren't happy about what I did to their leader, and they wanted revenge. They hunted me down relentlessly, for five days, and five nights. There was fifty of them, and one of me, and my ammo was running low. They had me surrounded, and I had no way of escaping. It was starting to look like this would've been the end of me.

And that's when I felt it.

The world slowed down, and it was as if a new sense had awakened in me. It was as if I could see everything, feel everything. I felt connected to the world in a way I never had before. It was a high I never experienced before. It was almost... transcendent, and when I came down from my high, their bodies were laying down before me, and there wasn't a single scratch on me.

I want to experience it again. I've been trying, but nothing has even come close to what I felt that day, and now everything feels a little more... dull.

quote:

2) Who is someone you have a strong relationship with? (Can be friendly or antagonistic)

A few of the Blood Ravens survived that day, and one of them was Carrion, my old lover. Carrion is the blood sister of their leader, and she's more than a little mad over what I did to him, even though it was his fault for coming at me first. It's not my fault that he chose the wrong person to gently caress with.

quote:

You've seen it, too, haven't you? The Withering Rain? It doesn't affect the trees, but if the rain touches human flesh, it'll cause the body to slowly wither and rot, until there's nothing left. It doesn't happen that often, but you better hope you're somewhere safe when it does.

The Gunlugger posted:

Name: Barracuda
Look: Ambiguous, custom home-made armor, wild face, mad eyes, stringy body

Stats:
Cool -1
Hard +3
Hot -2
Sharp +1
Weird +2

Moves:
Battle-hardened: when you act under fire, or when you stand overwatch, roll+hard instead of roll+cool.

Insano like Drano: you get +1 hard.

NOT TO BE hosed WITH: in battle, you count as a small gang, with harm and armor according to your gear.

Gear:
Grenade launcher (4-harm close area messy)
Shotgun (3-harm close messy)
Magnum (3-harm close reload loud)
Many knives (2-harm hand infinite)
Armor worth 2-armor
Oddments worth 2-barter

Gunlugger Special:
If you and another character have sex, you take +1 forward. At your option, they take +1 forward too.

Hx:
On your turn, ask 1, 2 or all 3:
• Which one of you once left me bleeding, and did nothing for me?
For that character, write Hx-2.
• Which one of you has fought shoulder to shoulder with me?
• Which one of you is prettiest and/or smartest?

For everyone else, write Hx-1. You find no particular need to understand most people.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 29, 2017

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

pre:
Name: Shahin
Look:  Man, immaculate whites, expressive face, mischievous eyes, lean body, precise hands.

Stats:
Cool +1
Hard -1
Hot  +2
Sharp  0
Weird +1

Moves:
You Call This Hot?
A Devil With A Blade.

Gear:
A wicked blade (2-harm hand)
Oddments worth 2-barter
1-armor

Maestro'd Special:
If you hook another character up—with sex, with food, with somethin somethin, whatever—it counts as having sex with them

Hx:
On your turn, ask either or both:
• Which of you do I find most attractive?
• Which one of you is my favorite?

For everyone else, write Hx+1. It's your business to see people clearly.
The establishment:
pre:
wip
cast and crew
pre:
wip

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 22, 2017

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Interest post.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Insterest post

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Pinterest boast.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

nm

Sax Battler fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 26, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Fin terrorist host.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Faceless Interest post

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Roach, the Hardholder

Captured by raiders as a child, Roach learned everything they had to teach and took it all to heart. No doubt her former owner would be very proud of her if she hadn't strangled him to death with a length of barbed wire. The rest of his gang that didn't immediately fall in line followed him into the great beyond. A few years passed and she found she had a knack for leading people and taking the things other people weren't able to keep, and she found that she enjoyed it immensely. Eventually she set her sights on acquiring a permanent base of operations, and The Warren was one of the best you could hope to find. It had been a prison back in old people times and was virtually unassailable. Too bad they never planned for someone to just walk in, request a meeting with their leader, and stab him to death with a letter opener. They were all a bit lost as to what to do after that. A lot of people left, some fought and died, and others decided to just join in on the madness.

Roach is an animal. A predator at the top of the food chain to be sure, but an animal all the same. She lives strictly according to her wants and needs and pays no heed to things like justice or altruism. She believes might makes right, and has no qualms about proving that point in as violent and ugly a fashion as is necessary. She has big plans and good instincts, but none of the hard won experience that comes with age. Plenty of people have flocked to her banner, lured by the promise of good living in return for a bit of dirty work now and again. Her charisma has kept things functioning well enough so far but her complete disinterest in enforcing any real kind of discipline means her soldiers are quite a handful at the best of times. Despite being a nasty piece of work, Roach tries to keep the people of Warren more or less happy - but only because her wife tells her she should. As long as those piss-ants pay the rent, Roach will pretend to care about them.

Electricity is the biggest issue. There's a power plant called Electric Avenue that the Warren is hooked up to, but I don't control it and I don't have people who could run it even if I did. I aim to remedy that situation eventually, but as it stands? It would take too many bodies to make it worth my while to seize the place. So for now I have to play nice with Cat Strangler and his crew.

Who is someone you have a strong relationship with?
Queen Moh is my sweety, and there's nothing I wouldn't do to make her happy. She's full of good ideas, like taking over the Warren and making protection arrangements with nearby settlements. Feel free to grovel at her feet if you like. Just don't stare at her. It makes me think you have something unwholesome in mind. And if you have something unwholesome in mind for Moh, I have something unwholesome in mind for your genitals.

...There are things out there. Nobody who knows what you mean can really put a more apt term to them beyond things. Vaguely human shapes, off in the distance. Watching. Waiting. And so far as I have ever seen or heard it is only when you're alone. I think they prefer it that way, because otherwise someone would be there to stop you if you succumb to the voices.

What do I mean, voices? Just what I said. They get into your mind, dredge up old memories and steal their words and images for their own. You could be off hunting and suddenly you'll hear your mother call you to come in and wash up for supper, or you'll see that girl you like so much coyly smiling at you from behind a tree. I don't know what happens if you listen. If you follow. Considering how often you hear tales of people simply vanishing with no explanation, I don't think you come back.

Not much in this world scares me. This, though? This scares me. The way the darkness scared me when I was little.

quote:

Name: Roach
Look: woman, showy armor, gorgeous face, commanding eyes, sensual body

Stats:
Cool+1
Hard+2
Hot+1
Sharp+1
Weird-2

Moves:
Leadership
Wealth

Gear:
shotgun (3-harm close messy)
machete (3-harm hand messy)
body armor (2-armor)

quote:

The Warren (refurbished prison complex)

By default, your holding has:
75-150 souls.
for gigs, a mix of hunting, crude farming, and scavenging (surplus: 1-barter, want: hungry).
a makeshift compound of concrete, sheet metal and rebar. Your gang gets +1 armor when fighting in its defense.
an armory of scavenged and makeshift weapons.
a garage of 4 utility vehicles and 4 specialized battle vehicles (detail with the MC).
a gang of about 40 violent bastards (2-harm gang medium unruly 1-armor)

Choose 4:
for gigs, add lucrative raiding. Surplus: +1barter, want: +reprisals
for gigs, add protection tribute. Surplus: +1barter, want: +obligation
your gang is large instead of medium, 60 violent bastards or so
your compound is tall, deep and mighty, of stone and iron. Your gang gets +2armor when fighting in its defense

And choose 2:
your gang is a pack of loving hyenas. Want: +savagery.
your population is decadent and perverse. Surplus: -1barter, want: +savagery.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 23, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Interested.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Hoarfrost of The End

My name is Selene, actually. Not that anyone cares. The people who gave me that name are long gone. The people who bestowed upon me the title Hoarfrost are here to stay.
I couldn't be rid of them if I wanted to. In a world that is in constant decay, true death is power. It scares away most people. But others are enthralled. To see their breath, snowflakes instead of leaves, pure white mounds instead of the colorful mess.
I am their avatar of death. Woe to those who stand against us. The storm is coming.

Our business is not only dour, however. Death is not simply bad. Killing a stagnant order of things can lead to great growth. Winter begets spring. With each field harrowed we can begin anew. The storm follows me. But we have faith that we can make it blanket the world. So rejoice, savor the cold embrace. We will bury this world to raise another.

I have been quiet about it but, we are not equipped to survive the winter when we bring it. We claim what we need from the chaff. There is time of course, but we are the seeds of the new world. There is no sense in bringing the end if there is no new beginning.

Stone leads The End more or less. I lead them, but she organizes them. It is perhaps because of her lack of enthusiasm for the cold and the raiding that she is able to concentrate on organization in ways that the others do not. As such she serves as a liaison for the greater group for decisions that effect us all. It is vexing that her mood is dependent on how the group is doing. She is such a sweetheart when we're celebrating clean victories.

The decay of the world is not just the shedding trees. Everything is in a stasis of disrepair. Cracked, rotting, crumbling. Yet still it stands. Stubborn, indignant, in the way of a fresh new structure.

quote:

Hocus

Cool+1 Hard-1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird+2

Fortunes: fortune, surplus and want all depend on your followers. At the beginning of the
session, roll+fortune. On a 10+, your followers have surplus. On a 7–9, they have surplus,
but choose 1 want. On a miss, they are in want. If their surplus lists barter, like 1-barter
or 2-barter, that’s your personal share, to spend for your lifestyle or for what you will.

Frenzy: When you speak the truth to a mob, roll+weird. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9,
hold 1. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to make the mob:
• Bring people forward and deliver them.
• Bring forward all their precious things.
• Unite and Fight for you as a gang (2-harm 0-armor size appropriate).
• Fall into an orgy of uninhibited emotion: loving, lamenting, Fighting, sharing, celebrating, as
you choose.
• Go quietly back to their lives.
On a miss, the mob turns on you

Seeing souls: when you help or interfere with someone, roll+weird instead of roll+Hx.

4 Barter

Go around again for Hx. On your turn, ask
either or both:
• Which of you are my followers?
For those characters, write Hx+2.
• One of you, I’ve seen your soul. Which one?
For everyone else, write Hx+1. You’re a good
and quick judge of others.

The End
Your Cult; Travel with
Your followers are hard-working, no-nonsense. Surplus: +1barter.
Your followers are joyous and celebratory. Surplus: +party.
Your followers aren’t really yours, more like you’re theirs. Want: judgment instead of want: desertion
Your followers disdain law, peace, reason and society. Surplus: +violence.

fortune+1 surplus: 2-barter party violence want: Judgement

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jacaranda

quote:

Battlebabe

Woman, formal wear, striking face, calculating eyes, sweet body

Cool+3 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1

Merciless: when you inflict harm, inflict +1harm.

Ice cold: when you go aggro on an NPC, roll+cool instead of roll+hard. When you go aggro on another player’s character, roll+Hx instead of roll+hard.

4-barter

Go around again for Hx. On your turn, ask the other players which of their characters you can trust.
• For the characters you can trust, write Hx-1.
• For the characters you can’t trust, write Hx+3.

Custom Weapons
-Silenced Ruger MK II (handgun, silenced, semi-automatic [2-harm close])
-Butterfly Knife (haft, blade, hidden [2-harm hand infinite])

The Central Exchange is a busy place. Most holds are bursting at the seams with scoundrels clawing out for their fortune. Central is for those who have already found theirs, and they've certainly invested in it. Not content to live in the rot of the Golden Age, new growth is erected regularly. People live in luxury. Open violence in the streets is unheard of.

No, no. Violence happens behind the doors, sponsored by vicious social climbers and informally endorsed by the Board. This is why I thrive here better than elsewhere.

quote:

A vacation. This place is exhausting. Even when I'm not on a job, these people are so tightly wound and self-interested. Now if only I could find a nice place to visit where I don't run the risk of getting a rusty blade in the stomach for looking the wrong bar patron in the eyes.

quote:

Who is someone you have a strong relationship with?

Paydeman, number one supplier in the business. Always has just what I need, when I need it, and if he doesn't have it, he can get it. Plus, when I die he'll probably get it all back to sell to someone else. That's just good business.

quote:

I can exist and make a living doing what I do.

Alaois fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 25, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Frasier Crane, the News

"Good morning, post apocalypse, I'm listening."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Pumpkin the Faceless

You have 2 downsides for when you're unmasked, so don't forget to pick another option

What does Woods Witch want in exchange when she helps you out?

Did you make or find your face, and what was your life like before you had it?

Do you live by yourself or near other people? How do you get what you need to stay alive and for whatever comforts you may desire?

Harvest, the Brainer

How did you come across your hi tech gear?

Who have you recently used your powers on, and what unexpected effect did it have?

What does Razorwire demand from you in exchange for her gifts?

Roach, the Hardholder

What are some ideas that Queen Moh has put forth that you've rejected, and why?

Who's the best member of your gang and why? Who's the worst member of your gang and why?

What does Cat Strangler demand in exchange for providing electricity?

Hoarfrost, the Hocus

Who were the first people to join The End, and what happened to them?

How are you and The End working to bring winter to this world?

What do you and Stone disagree on?

Jacaranda, the Battlebabe

What kind of jobs do you like? What kind of jobs do you hate?

Have you ever thought of trying to make the world a better place?

How does The Central Exchange manage to operate a hold where there's no visible violence and much luxury abound in this day and age? What's their relationship with other holds like?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heliotrope posted:

Jacaranda, the Battlebabe

What kind of jobs do you like? What kind of jobs do you hate?

I like the quick, discrete jobs. Simple sabotage, eavesdropping, in-and-out assassinations, anything I can do on my own and without meddling. I hate team jobs and anything overly-complicated. More moving parts means more potential points of failure, and if a boss has a "plan", you're almost always better off just walking away. I'm also not big on jobs that require leaving the Exchange but I won't turn my nose up at them.

Heliotrope posted:

Have you ever thought of trying to make the world a better place?

To "make the world a better place" implies that this world is capable of true change, and not continue this interminable stasis its found itself in for as long as most have been alive. We're all just waiting to die, if only to escape it.

Heliotrope posted:

How does The Central Exchange manage to operate a hold where there's no visible violence and much luxury abound in this day and age? What's their relationship with other holds like?

A strong stockade, selective entry restrictions, and enough resources to employ a diligent constabulary. Muscle with enough sense to know not to poo poo where they eat, as the saying goes. The Exchange was founded as a trade hub, a well-protected marketplace for surrounding holds to traffic their goods through the region. Holders who don't want to play ball with the Board run the risk of having their domains marked as "outlaw holds" and shut out of the economy.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
What are some ideas that Queen Moh has put forth that you've rejected, and why?

There was the suggestion to get into slave trading, but I shot that down right away. First, that's kind of messed up considering both of us know exactly what that's like. Second, enough people hate me and my Glee Club as it is. Slave taking would be one step too far and every band of jag-offs in a hundred mile radius would be lacing up their stomping boots and even I don't have that many bullets.

She also floated the idea of hiring ourselves out to other holds as extra guns when things are quiet over here. Now, I like the idea in principle so long as we ignore the fact that it is never quiet over here. We get to be violent and we get to get paid for it. Thing is, how would it look for me to take orders from some other hardholder? I have a reputation to consider. And no matter how you slice it a mercenary is a subordinate to the person hiring them. Still. It's a solid fallback plan if necessary. I can swallow my pride if things get tight and Moh has to eat.

Who's the best member of your gang and why? Who's the worst member of your gang and why?

Bleak is a mountain. Ugly as sin and rock solid. He's been around since I was little, and while I might be king of the Glee Club I won't deny he is the heart and soul of my gang. He's everyone favorite uncle, never too busy to lend an ear or offer some good advice. And if I need something dealt with quickly and messily, he's my go-to guy. Ask him to show you his teeth collection sometime.

Left Nut is useless. She's Right Nut's kid sister and she is really, really into being part of the Glee Club. She just happens to be terrible at it. I tell her to stand watch, she'll fall asleep. I tell her to drive a crew over to Good Frank's farm and collect the protection money and she'll get lost for three hours and come back without the jingle. I tell her to smile when Evil Frank slaps her rear end because he's a guy that can sew your bits back on when they get shot off, she'll tell her big brother and now I'm dealing with that whole mess and if it weren't for the fact that Right Nut is one of my best shooters I'd feed her to Good Frank's pigs and be done with it. A complete fuckup in every respect.

What does Cat Strangler demand in exchange for providing electricity?

Jingle, usually, and no interfering with him or his people. But he also collect things - these weird little figurines he calls "Precious Moments". I don't get it. They're creepy as hell, but he is obsessed with them. One of those and that's a couple months of juice paid for. The problem of course is: if somebody does find one, they sure as hell aren't going to hand it over to you when they could take it directly to Cat Strangler and live it up on Electric Avenue.

A free tip: Don't find one and break it, and if you do make absolutely nobody finds out. Inger was a scavenger. Lucked out and was walking into the Avenue with one of those little statues. Tripped over his own feet and dropped it on the concrete and we don't talk about what Cat Strangler did to Inger.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Hoarfrost, the Hocus
Who were the first people to join The End, and what happened to them?

How are you and The End working to bring winter to this world?

What do you and Stone disagree on?

Jotenn was the first to claim my divinity. He was a strong warrior with little sense of subtly. The the white fields and bare trees made it easier to find his prey. The problem is of course it only gets like that if I stay in an area for a while. That is why he wanted to increase my power and blanket the world in snow. He believed the more people paying tribute to me would widen the storm. Who was I to argue. It wasn't enough. He found his end in the field. Striking out in vengeance outside of my cloud cover. That was when Stone decided a tighter ship needed to be ran.

The stagnant decay of the world is found in all things. It is not merely the trees. The most breath taking sight was a building frozen in collapse. We tore it down. It was a monument to the stasis of the dying world. I believe there are focal points. Great icons of the old world keeping it afloat as it treads water. I will probably never find them all. But if I find enough we can freeze this land and let our message spread.

Sigh, Stone's heart is in the right place. She doesn't want bravado getting our best warriors killed. This makes us all vulnerable (particularly her, I'm sure.) This is because of her real problem though. She lacks faith. Stone is much more interested in the petty raids and celebrations. She sees the mission as merely a drain on our resources. It is a useless perspective I suppose. But so much doubt is tedious.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 27, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Heliotrope posted:

Harvest, the Brainer

How did you come across your hi tech gear?

Razorwire gave me the orb, the pain-creator. I doubt she understood it, thinking it some simple bauble, but it has proven most useful so far. The glove... I awoke with it. There was a facility of the old world, many days from here. I can only assume that it was some attempt to understand those like me. Those who saw what was to come and embraced it. I remember little enough before I awoke, but it bothers me not at all. What possible import could the past hold when the future holds so much promise?

Heliotrope posted:

Who have you recently used your powers on, and what unexpected effect did it have?

I was asked to tease the secrets forth from a captive's head. I remember not his name, nor much of his appearance. Neither matter. What matters was, once skin communed with skin, there was an instance as if I were both myself and him. His secrets were mine, yes, and so much more. I was laying with myself. I was two bodies, united by a singular will. The communion lasted only a short amount of time, but it provided a vision of what may yet come to pass: A larger communion, one that encompasses all who remain in this world.

Heliotrope posted:

What does Razorwire demand from you in exchange for her gifts?

That which I freely give. Attention. Validation. Bliss. That which the Eternal Autumn has bestowed upon me allows me to fulfill one's deepest fantasies, without the restraints of the last remnants of common sense that plague this world. I can only imagine it is tremendously addictive. How can this world, as beautiful as it has become, compare to one's deepest desires? Razorwire guards me jealously from her own people. I mind little in the moment, but I doubt she will greet my decision to find a more useful patron with any great joy.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Heliotrope posted:

Pumpkin the Faceless

You have 2 downsides for when you're unmasked, so don't forget to pick another option

What does Woods Witch want in exchange when she helps you out?

Did you make or find your face, and what was your life like before you had it?

Do you live by yourself or near other people? How do you get what you need to stay alive and for whatever comforts you may desire?

fixed!

The Witch wants what most people want - food, safety, some stuff to make it seem like time is passing. But she can't leave the woods, so I go to get things for her when she needs them. She doesn't like what needs to happen when things are hard to get, but she knows that I try my best and she forgives me when I have to hurt people.

I think my face found me. I don't remember a time before I had it, except in dreams of being weak. I don't have those dreams often, unless the wind is blowing from the Long Road and the smell gets to me.

I live by myself. Between the woods and the towns. I hunt and scavenge and raid and sometimes people pay me to do violence. Sometimes they try to cheat me, and then I have to do more violence. When it gets out of hand and the people fall like the leaves, I move on. But the Witch is always there, wherever I end up.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I'm going to extend the deadline for apps to over the weekend, since Christmas happened over this week and several people who've shown interest haven't updated their post yet. Just make sure to have at least a character sheet up if you're still interested.

Barracuda, the Gunlugger

What has Carrion done so far to try and get revenge on you?

When was a time that you regretted resorting to violence?

Who often hires you and why don't you like them?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Heliotrope posted:

Barracuda, the Gunlugger

What has Carrion done so far to try and get revenge on you?

....Yea, so here's the thing; she hasn't done anything yet. Carrion isn't like her brother. Her brother's a hot-head who likes to go in guns blazing, but Carrion? She prefers to wait. Plan. To her, killing someone isn't enough. She likes to make the people who wronged her suffer, and make them wish for death. That's the kind of girl she is. I should know. I dated her.

She's planning something special for me, I'm sure,and that excites me! Is she going to strike today, or tomorrow? Is it going to happen in the next few months, or in the next few years? I don't know! And I find that thrilling! I can't wait to see what hosed up thing she has planned for me!

quote:

When was a time that you regretted resorting to violence?

It was with my old partner. Or ex-partner, anyways. [b]Briggs[/i] and me had a... let's call it a "disagreement" over a certain job. Said job involved offing somebody he used to care for, and, as you probably guessed, he took issue with the whole job, and we got into a big argument. An argument that involved guns, and me shooting off his right leg.

Do I regret it? Yea, kinda. One of the few things I regret. Briggs was always a bit of a softie, but he used to be one of few people I can trust, and it's a shame what happened between us. And just so we're clear, he was the one who shot at me first.

quote:

Who often hires you and why don't you like them?

Ugh, why'd you have to go and remind about that creepy fucker? They call themselves [b]Ruiner[/i], and they're someone who unnerves me, which is saying a lot! They're always wearing this helmet that covers their face, and their voice is... it's got this hosed up mechanical sound to it. Ruiner's always giving me the weirdest loving jobs, like the time he hired me to get him the "bloody heads" of a bunch of animals. Only reason I'm doing any of this poo poo for them is cuz the pays really well. If only they weren't so loving creepy.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Sorry for the delay in making selections, I was a little busy and it also took me a while to think who I was going to accept. But here they are:

Harvest, the Brainer, played by Tricky

Hoarfrost, the Hocus, played by SHY NUDIST GRRL

Pumpkin, the Faceless, played by thatbastardken

Roach, the Hardholder, played by Shardix

For now, the four of you figure out your Hx with each other. I'll start working on a thread for the game, as well as putting together a list of places/NPCs/etc and also asking a few more questions for some of you. Once that's done, we'll do highlights and start of session moves.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Some initial Hx has been done in the discord, but I'll post what's been decided for Roach so far and update as things get decided.

Which one of you has been with me since before? (if you were with Roach from before, it means you fell in with a band of raiders, however or whyever that came about)

Harvest posted:

I could definitely see having been with Roach from before, if we reframe Razorwire as a subordinate. Elsewise I'll leave that free for Pumpkin to weigh in on.

Which one of you has betrayed or stolen from me?

---

Meanwhile, Roach is one of Hoarfrost's followers.

MC posted:

So did you join Hoarfrost's cult recently or have you been part of it for a while?

Pretty recent. Just something in Hoarfrost's message really sunk a hook into Roach's head
Which Roach finds kind of surprising. She was never into any kind of spiritual anything before that. Very much someone with feet firmly planted on the ground.

-----

quote:

a garage of 4 utility vehicles

bulldozer, "Fat Albert"
speed=0, handling=0, massive=3, 2-armor
strengths: rugged, workhorse
looks: powerful
weakness: slow, loud

pickup
speed=1, handling=1, massive=2, 0-armor
strengths: uncomplaining
looks: spikes & plates
weakness: lazy

scout bike
speed=1, handling=0, massive=0, 0-armor
strengths: fast, responsive
looks: sleek, flashy
weakness: skinny, bucking

deuce and a half
speed=0, handling=1, massive=3, 1-armor
strengths: huge, powerful
looks: garish
weakness: sloppy

quote:

4 specialized battle vehicles

war buggy x2
speed=1, handling=1, massive=2, 1-armor
strengths: aggressive, responsive
looks: sleek, muscular
weakness: cramped
mounted machine guns (3-harm close/far area messy)

APC, "Meatfucker"
speed=0, handling=0, massive=3, 3-armor
strengths: capacious, offroad
looks: pristine
Mounted 50cal mg (5-harm far area messy)

APC, "Glasgow Kiss"
speed=1, handling=0, massive=3, 1-armor
strengths: capacious, offroad
looks: spikes and plates
Ram or ramming spikes (as a weapon, vehicle inflicts +1harm)
Mounted boarding platform or harness (+1 to attempts to board another vehicle from this one)

Most of the hold's vehicles are scavenged and repaired, the results of uncountable man-hours spent hauling them in and fixing them up, one part at a time. The bulldozer and M35 cargo truck were already fixtures of the Warren and getting her hands on them was one reason Roach was so eager to seize the place. Her pride and joy, however, is Meatfucker and Glasgow Kiss. On extended patrol, Roach came across the remnants of an old military base and in one lonely corner sat a pair of pristine, untouched armored personnel carriers. How they had gone overlooked by all the scavengers that had to have thoroughly combed the place over the years, she does not know. Providence, she supposes. The Warren is rather lax regarding rules but one thing is absolutely concrete. You do not touch the APCs, or even approach them, without permission. Roach's boys and girls have explicit permission to gun down anybody who looks to be messing around with them.

Most of Glasgow Kiss's armor was stripped off to reinforce its brother and to allow for better top speed. It also had its weapons stripped, as ammunition is just a bit too scarce to feed all four combat vehicles adequately.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 6, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

• Which one of you has slept in my presence (knowingly or un-)? Roach.

• Which one of you have I been watching carefully, in secret? Barracuda.

• Which one of you most evidently dislikes and distrusts me? Hoarfrost.

---

Hoarfrost picks my player highlight.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 7, 2018

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Looks like thatbastardken isn't going to be available, so instead of Pumpkin we have

Barracuda, the Gunlugger, played by Tardzilla

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Here's my Hx. Only one has been taken so far, so the other two are open for whoever wants them.

• Which one of you once left me bleeding, and did nothing for me? Hoarfrost
For that character, write Hx-2.

• Which one of you has fought shoulder to shoulder with me? Roach

• Which one of you is prettiest and/or smartest? Harvest

Harvest gets to highlight me!

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 8, 2018

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Go around again for Hx. On your turn, ask
either or both:
• Which of you are my followers?
For those characters, write Hx+2.
Roach
• One of you, I’ve seen your soul. Which one?
Harvest
For everyone else, write Hx+1. You’re a good
and quick judge of others.

Weird for Harvest, who picks my highlight

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Barracuda has been with me since before

Harvest has betrayed or stolen from me

---

Barracuda : hx=2

Hoarfrost: hx=1

Harvest: hx=3

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Let's highlight Hoarfrost's Weird, Roach's Sharp, and Barracuda's Hard.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Barracuda highlight Hot

Harvest highlight Cool

Hoarfrost highlight Hard

Roach highlight Weird

Here's the sheet for Hx and a list of NPCs

Here's a map I made in Google Drive (edited to add in some ruins)

Roach, roll for Wealth. Hoarfrost, roll for Fortunes.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 9, 2018

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Got my hx up on the sheet.

Wealth: @Roach: 2d6+2 = (6+4)+2 = 12
surplus of 2-barter

Shardix fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007