Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Its December again and you know what that means! A fresh expulsion of Mega Man related bullshit from Rik and those he drags with him! Yay!

For the First X-mas we LP'd basically the entire X series*, for the second, we did an X-themed Advent Calendar with our favorite bosses, stages, weapons, and music. This year we will be playing Maverick Hunter X for the PSP

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, known as Irregular Hunter X (イレギュラーハンターX) in Japan, is an enhanced remake of the original Mega Man X game released for the PlayStation Portable in 2005-2006. The game is also compatible and cross-playable with the PlayStation Vita via a PSN Download which was released at the PlayStation Vita's Launch on February 15, 2012. It has several new features and several redesigns.

Q: Are you going to be playing Vile mode?

A: No, this was a sort of last minute thing and we didn't have the time or the practice to do Vile mode any justice, we might do it next year though. If you want to run Vile mode and post it here feel free

Q: Are you going to be playing the sister game Mega Man Powered Up?

A: No, though we do talk about it a bunch

Q: What is the tone of the LP?

A: Informative

Q: Spoiler policy?

A: Go nuts, we don't mind

Q: Mith you salty fucker, you promised me Pikmin, where the hell is it?

A: On the way, we are about half way done recording it, real life just keeps getting in the way

::The Episodes::

Episode 0: The Day of Sigma OVA

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 4

Episode 5

Episode 6

Episode 7

::Links and poo poo::

If you like this and want to see more Mega Man X content from us, check out

Our Informative LP of the entire X Series

Our Uninformative LP of the entire X Series

Our 2016 Advent Calendar

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeeeeaaaah its back

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Episode 2 is up, starting out with an appropriately winter themed stage
Episode 2

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Episode 3 is live!
Episode 3

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Episode 4 is now up

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Seeing as how you've multiposted, I'm guessing there aren't that many people defending the PSP. :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think the PSP is a pretty good handheld honestly, but there's no changing the fact that you're right: it wasn't a great console to have your games in. It didn't sell amazingly well, after all, it fell far behind its direct competitor (though having the Nintendo DS as a competitor was a death sentence anyways).

I have to wonder if being on PS3 would've helped though, since that one wasn't exactly a sales darling itself. It's a shame honestly, you complained about all the story changes and how they could dramatically affect the story later on and whatnot but I feel that would've been very good, I like X's story but there's a lot of things to fix and having a remake series of at least the first five that tried to properly tackle those things, fix the storyline and improve on whatever it could (move X3 and X4 from mediocre to good, maybe?) would've been great. And on the Classic side, having Powered Up versions of all would've been loving amazing because Powered Up is what all remakes should strive to be. Alas, neither happened, and while I don't think it's a terrible loss, I do think it may have kept the series going longer during that awful period of time where Capcom just completely gave up on it.

But most importantly, yay, more X LPs! I'm following this now, short as it may be, though I'm kind of sad you two aren't doing Vile because I've always been super interested in how that mode worked.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
I really wish this game had done better than it did. The first X games while good definitely needed some cleaning up in the story department, and a remake series would have been an excellent way to do that, it also would have been good to give X some more development considering that as time went on the games became more about Zero rather than X. It also makes me wonder just what could have been done if the series had continued. They could have brought in some characters that came into the series later like Alia or Iris, or they could drop hints about the development of the new reploids like Axl, they could also start setting up things for the Zero series like Cyber elfs, or Weil. This remake series had a lot of potential, shame it was on a handheld that basically had no chance.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

megamariox posted:

I really wish this game had done better than it did. The first X games while good definitely needed some cleaning up in the story department, and a remake series would have been an excellent way to do that, it also would have been good to give X some more development considering that as time went on the games became more about Zero rather than X. It also makes me wonder just what could have been done if the series had continued. They could have brought in some characters that came into the series later like Alia or Iris, or they could drop hints about the development of the new reploids like Axl, they could also start setting up things for the Zero series like Cyber elfs, or Weil. This remake series had a lot of potential, shame it was on a handheld that basically had no chance.

Not to mention the fact that the remake explicitly shows Dr. Cain getting vaporized before the series even begins (watch The Day of Sigma OVA if you haven't already), yet he pops up in the next two games perfectly fine. It would have been nice if they had at least gotten as far as X3 so they'd have a chance to cover up that little plot hole at any rate.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Maybe because it's set in the PSP, but man, the camera in this game is zoomed in way too much. It must be a bit annoying trying to avoid upcoming obstacles like that.

megamariox posted:

Not having seen the OVA or played this game, it doesn't seem like the game is even bothering to explain why Sigma even revolted in the first place. I know maybe it wouldn't fit into an action game's plot, but it would've been nice if this remake used the chance to add in some humans to expand the world and build on how humans treat Reploids.

Like Dr. Cain created Replois based on X, so they would have to have free will like him. An angle for why Reploids might go Maverick is because they're made just to instantly become servants of humans. Or there are humans and Reploids who work together, but some humans can't get it into their heads to treat Reploids like people.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Episode 5 is now live

I personally think the idea behind the changes was to give veteran players something new to mess around with, rather than the exact same game they've played to death. But unlike Mega Man 1 there isn't really a lot that needed changing, which results in some minor shuffling of items and the mostly random changes made to the Fortress stages we will see in the next two episodes. Powered-Up's method of classic and remastered modes would be more preferable, though even Powered-Up's classic mode isn't completely faithful to the NES original. Classic mode keeps the original stage layouts but has all the gameplay changes from the remastered mode.

As for the PSP, I think it was a fine system, and a great PSX emulator, but it was so easy to hack that Sony wound up spending more time and energy plugging holes than making system sellers...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

amigolupus posted:

Maybe because it's set in the PSP, but man, the camera in this game is zoomed in way too much. It must be a bit annoying trying to avoid upcoming obstacles like that.

Not having seen the OVA or played this game, it doesn't seem like the game is even bothering to explain why Sigma even revolted in the first place. I know maybe it wouldn't fit into an action game's plot, but it would've been nice if this remake used the chance to add in some humans to expand the world and build on how humans treat Reploids.

Like Dr. Cain created Replois based on X, so they would have to have free will like him. An angle for why Reploids might go Maverick is because they're made just to instantly become servants of humans. Or there are humans and Reploids who work together, but some humans can't get it into their heads to treat Reploids like people.
The screen space is designed around not having the dash, so enemies collide with you any time you dash to advance.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

oh hey its you guys again. I loved your X series LPs and totally missed this started. It's nice to have a steady breakdown of what the game did/didn't do right.

I know it wasn't in vogue at the time and the budget would be lower, but I wonder if this & Powered Up would have done better as downloadable titles

(fire wave!)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Scalding Coffee posted:

The screen space is designed around not having the dash, so enemies collide with you any time you dash to advance.

But...one of X's main features is that his dash makes him mobile... Even the capsule's just laying there in Chill Penguin's stage like they expect you to use it... What were they thinking designing the screen around not having the dash? :psyduck:

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Episode 6 is now live.

The fortress stages are greatly modified and shuffled compared to the regular stages, I think Powered-Up does the same thing, and I'm not entirely sure why

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

amigolupus posted:

But...one of X's main features is that his dash makes him mobile... Even the capsule's just laying there in Chill Penguin's stage like they expect you to use it... What were they thinking designing the screen around not having the dash? :psyduck:
If you can get it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I agree with you on the fact that Classic Mega Man shouldn't just become "Zero appears kills everyone" because it'd be super tonally deaf and not fun, and that's just out of the realm of pure fanfic. It's pretty terrible. I don't agree on the Zero series thing, mostly because Copy X feels pointless and a waste of something that was actually set up for a while, and could have been very interesting. It didn't even need to end in Zero killing X, just...time passes, X goes from mostly barely trying to heavily trying to obsessed with his idea of finding peace, it goes poorly, Zero returns and well...Order vs Chaos and whatnot.

It was an interesting idea that was too risky to actually go for, I guess, because people would get mad their perfect hero had gone off the deep end in who knows how many years. So we got the cool looking but ultimately boring Copy X instead.

Beyond that, I find it hilarious that you use DBZ Abridged's villain list as an example of not being contrarian when it was followed by their Top Games list this year that was full of blatantly contrarian picks to the point that TFS themselves were as far away from agreeing with each other as they could be in the videos themselves.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would agree with X going crazy after so much time has passed since he is basically a living machine who thinks for himself. Mega Man went full maverick in MM7 (should I spoiler what maverick means?) and almost killed Wily, when he wasn't programmed to think that way. Now imagine an immortal with a fluid morality and unlimited power who was supposed to avoid that from happening again. Someone who is so hard up for creating a perfect society without violence and he ends up going Fascist and killing everyone he disagrees with. Live long enough to become the villain.

That list this year was terrible. Might as well be any DB game made in the 21st century.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 31, 2017

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I just finished watching episode 3, and that slowdown was hilarious. I never experienced it when I played, but I did play the Playstation Network version, instead of on UMD, so that may have made the difference. UMDs suffered from a lot of slowdown during the early days. For example, Mana Khemia was basically a completely different game when downloaded compared to the UMD version, due to reducing the load times significantly. One of the worst was spectral souls, which would stop to load in between text in cutscenes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Loading from discs is always torture.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
You guys are right when you mention the unresponsiveness. I get it in my downloaded PSP copy, too.

Am I allowed to talk about the Zero buster? Or is that something you guys intend to talk about more?

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

bman in 2288 posted:

You guys are right when you mention the unresponsiveness. I get it in my downloaded PSP copy, too.

Am I allowed to talk about the Zero buster? Or is that something you guys intend to talk about more?

Absolutely! I don't mind. I think we briefly touch on it in the next episode, but nothing major

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Then I'll let you guys go first, lest I say something you guys already cover.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I really like Maverick Hunter X! It's a really cool remake of X1, but man, I am not a huge fan of all of the changes to the fortress. I like Sigma 1, as it's pretty much the same as the first, except it takes out the sky platforms and moves it to the next stage, and replaces Vile with Launch Octopus. The rest of the stage is different from the original, but it still feels pretty fun. Sigma 2 on the other hand...feels bland compared to X1's version. Sigma 2 has a problem where it's trying to recreate themes from the stages of the three mavericks that you refight in it, but not doing anything particularly original like the original game did, and it's just...bleh.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bman in 2288 posted:

Isn't it more or less the same except for a different charge shot?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think I realized why I don't like this, beyond all the arbitrary changes. The first few X games were against mavericks that were, either by design, or lack of story beyond the instruction manual or endings, actually insane murder bots.

Instead here we have the jerks going on about duty or choice or whatever. I think the series worked when X was indisputably doing the right thing, and once that was established it could be played with in X4 putting down a rebellion or X5 marking people who didn't want to help save the planet by letting them borrow a fuel tank as maverick after the fact it was interesting and added some depth.

Sort of makes things better in X7 that X just peaces out when they're told to fight a random street gang.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it seems that Cain had done one good thing. He was a horrible idiot who screwed up the world by making reploids, but as a commander of the maverick hunters he at least had them doing the job of fighting mavericks rather than inconvenient enemies of the state.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Episode 7 is now live, and with it, our little LP comes to a close just in time for New Year's Eve! I hope your 2017 was... survivable, and that 2018 will be... more so.

We should hopefully be back some time in early 2018 with Pikmin, and next December with more X-mas joy!

FeyerbrandX posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but it seems that Cain had done one good thing. He was a horrible idiot who screwed up the world by making reploids, but as a commander of the maverick hunters he at least had them doing the job of fighting mavericks rather than inconvenient enemies of the state.

Cain was in charge during X4 and only stepped down afterwards

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, thought he resigned after the sky lagoon fell. So I can't even give him that one little bit of credit from preventing the hunters from becoming becoming secret police.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The new cutscene sounds like Dr. Light intended for reploids to evolve into mavericks except only the good aspect, a sense of morality. Cain or someone else figured that robots being anything else than thinking slaves to humanity is too frightful, so kill orders are made on the spot. Better to keep things as they are instead of accepting change.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Okay, so not much to say about the new buster, other than it's overall a better buster than the helix buster. It does way more damage, and can two-shot Vile in the opening stage. It's a shame you have to go must of the game without an upgraded buster to get it, because as you've seen, the level design kind of expects you to be buster-upgraded.

Buster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sigma's last form was much harder on the SNES. His hand lasers can take off about 75% health and it was a punishing boss almost rivaling Wily in MM7.

• Locked thread