Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

gently caress some bone broth I'd rather bone some broad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

Depression is a needless state of mind, a side effect from under eating most people could treat if they truly wanted to. If they knew which macro and micro nutrients they are missing. If they had the B12. The Bone Broth.

A pretty popular theory these days is that depression was adaptive in the ancestral environment.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

mr_gay_sex_fan posted:

How is it morally justifiable to have children given the fact they will suffer and you can't guarantee their contentment?

It's not. Having children is immoral.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

mr_gay_sex_fan posted:

Nah, though I've heard about that book.

I came across this stuff a few years ago when I saw some comment on a blog mention this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Better-Never-Have-Been-Existence/dp/0199549265

It was kind of a hard read...

Haha 30 dollars for a paperback book. Speaking of futility that pricing is loving futile

SilkyP fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 28, 2017

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I read some schopenhauer like 20 years ago, but I don't remember none of it. i vaguely remember something about "the will vs appearance" or something like that. I could be way off on that though. Maybe it was "the will vs the world"? Maybe "the will" wasn't part of it at all. Maybe I'm mixing it up with neitzchie's (I know I misspelled that, but I'm not going to google it) "the will to power". Although, IIRC, neitzchie was into schopenhauer, but was critical of him, and "the will to power" was a critique of schop that he extended into it's own philosophy. Or maybe I'm getting "the will vs blank" from a book by some other philosopher whose name I can't remember (17 years of xanax use will gently caress you're memory). The other philosopher was an early existentialist I think. Kirkegaard (I know I misspelled his name, but I'll be damned if I'm going to google it) maybe? Anyways, the only thing I remember from schopenhauer was thinking that his idea of "the will" actually maps onto evolution by natural selection pretty well, but that schopenhauer presaged a lot of ideas from evolution (or at least evolutionary psychology ((which is problematic, but unfairly maligned)). But, come to think of it, I don't know whether schopenhauer wrote his stuff before or after Darwin. When did schopenhauer write his stuff. Anyways, please answer all the questions in this post OP. Or, if not you, that other guy in GBS who knows a lot about philosophy. I can't remember that guy's name either. drat xanax.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

The Dennis System posted:

I read some schopenhauer like 20 years ago, but I don't remember none of it. i vaguely remember something about "the will vs appearance" or something like that. I could be way off on that though. Maybe it was "the will vs the world"? Maybe "the will" wasn't part of it at all. Maybe I'm mixing it up with neitzchie's (I know I misspelled that, but I'm not going to google it) "the will to power". Although, IIRC, neitzchie was into schopenhauer, but was critical of him, and "the will to power" was a critique of schop that he extended into it's own philosophy. Or maybe I'm getting "the will vs blank" from a book by some other philosopher whose name I can't remember (17 years of xanax use will gently caress you're memory). The other philosopher was an early existentialist I think. Kirkegaard (I know I misspelled his name, but I'll be damned if I'm going to google it) maybe? Anyways, the only thing I remember from schopenhauer was thinking that his idea of "the will" actually maps onto evolution by natural selection pretty well, but that schopenhauer presaged a lot of ideas from evolution (or at least evolutionary psychology ((which is problematic, but unfairly maligned)). But, come to think of it, I don't know whether schopenhauer wrote his stuff before or after Darwin. When did schopenhauer write his stuff. Anyways, please answer all the questions in this post OP. Or, if not you, that other guy in GBS who knows a lot about philosophy. I can't remember that guy's name either. drat xanax.

More or less around the same time as Darwin. Probably a decade after.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
a lot of the german philosophers at around that time were influenced by darwin. there was a broadly new (romantic) interest in how the universe could be understood organically and dynamically rather than (enlightenment) mechanistically and statically.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

More or less around the same time as Darwin. Probably a decade after.

Zane posted:

a lot of the german philosophers at around that time were influenced by darwin. there was a broadly new (romantic) interest in how the universe could be understood organically and dynamically rather than (enlightenment) mechanistically and statically.

Interesting. It's weird that he called it "the world as will" though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
This Schopenhustler sounds like a beta bitch.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

COMRADES posted:

Anguish and despair are not horrible accidents but built into the structure of life itself.

Life is finite. Every choice you make closes off the other possibilities. You are trapped in a single brief moment, filled with an inescapable longing for the infinite lives that are not to be. Regret is the core of human freedom. Every choice you make will lead to it. Every choice you don't make will lead to it. And yet, we are forced to choose. Forced to nourish our despair through a freedom we can't escape.
Get back on your real account my dude.

The problem with describing life and human condition with words alluding to imprisonment and forcibly removed choice is the idea that there was a choice to begin with. Life is, and any opinion on how things ought to be is human arrogance and delusion.

If you wake up in a hospital from some unexpected life threatening event, you shouldn't attack the doctors for not making you immortal.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
What I got from this is wow, life must have really sucked without video games and the Internet. Thank goodness we have both of them.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Continental philosophy is mostly bonkers and nonsensical and I don't think that's just the goofy translations. Imagine how sad your life must be to devote it all to writing big important books that only other grim, mildewed academics will be able to read and even they will probably misinterpret.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
continental philosophy is bonkers. but marx took off from hegel and sparked at least 2 or 3 enormous revolutions that killed 20+ million people. so i find it kinda interesting.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Hey nerds: posts some cool philosophy books that I should read/listen to. I have a bunch of audible and Kindle credits to use up and I'd like to be slightly less of an uncultured dunce.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Colonel Cancer posted:

Get back on your real account my dude.

The problem with describing life and human condition with words alluding to imprisonment and forcibly removed choice is the idea that there was a choice to begin with. Life is, and any opinion on how things ought to be is human arrogance and delusion.

If you wake up in a hospital from some unexpected life threatening event, you shouldn't attack the doctors for not making you immortal.

Take it up with Kierkegaard. I don't think what you've said really disagrees with him though.

It's more just about the grass is always greener and everyone worries about it and that's okay.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

These last 5 years have taught me to completely disengage when anyone mentiona colored pills

i only tune in when i hear pills mentioned. color need not apply

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Are you feeling that Weltschmerz, gibbers.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

quote:

The ultimate pessimist, Schopenhauer (1788-1860) viewed reality as a malicious trap, believing we live in the worst of all possible worlds. A notorious misogynist, Schopenhauer once pushed a woman down a flight of stairs. Grudgingly, he paid her regular restitution for her injuries until her death, when he recorded in his journal, “The old woman dies, the burden is lifted.”

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well that's dumb what an idiot. Easily disproven: imagine a universe exactly as it is now except every 6 hours like clockwork someone farts in your face. Bad ones, too.

For a notorious pessimist "it can always get worse" didn't resonate with him?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Ugh do we really need another trump thread?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zane posted:

continental philosophy is bonkers. but marx took off from hegel and sparked at least 2 or 3 enormous revolutions that killed 20+ million people. so i find it kinda interesting.

im sorry sir but marx directly killed 200+ billion people by himself. ergo, nazis are good.

bokealoke
Nov 10, 2009
Sometimes things are bad, and that is not good.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Shopenhauer is a great source for clever profound quotes, reading him is pain though (heh). And yeah, if OP bothered to read instead of watching youtube videos like a silly boy he'd know that its not that dark and edgy.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

People keep a dog and are ruled by this dog, and even Schopenhauer was ruled in the end not by his head, but by his dog. This fact is more depressing than any other.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Zane posted:

Tbh, I respect the honest revolutionaries way more than people like Kant and Nietzsche who spent their whole lives in university libraries transcribing the noises their farts made.

davidofmk771
Dec 27, 2010
lol how can you say life is suffering when funny+cool stuff like farts and pizza exists?

take the middle path fuckbois - da buhdda, date unknown

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

I know and my response is to wank in the face of it

Glad to see you in GBS again, friend

Asian Eeyore
Mar 9, 2013

Moon Atari posted:

Hey nerds: posts some cool philosophy books that I should read/listen to. I have a bunch of audible and Kindle credits to use up and I'd like to be slightly less of an uncultured dunce.

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-...will+buckingham

I liked that one. It covers like 10 famous philosophies and their views on happiness. Not very in depth though, only gives a chapter to each philosophy or whatever.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

I read this and I was surprised by how happy and upbeat the ending was. After all that super-depressing reasoning, he concludes that we should treat our fellow human beings nicely because they are fellow sufferers. :unsmith:
I didn't expect that from this dude.

Also ditto about them not having video games in his day. Our modern day hedonism is off the chain! His point of view needs to be revised since the lucky few with enough money can insulate themselves from suffering like a loving airlock and stuff their lives with more amusements than they have time to consume.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Escape Addict posted:

I read this and I was surprised by how happy and upbeat the ending was. After all that super-depressing reasoning, he concludes that we should treat our fellow human beings nicely because they are fellow sufferers. :unsmith:
I didn't expect that from this dude.

Also ditto about them not having video games in his day. Our modern day hedonism is off the chain! His point of view needs to be revised since the lucky few with enough money can insulate themselves from suffering like a loving airlock and stuff their lives with more amusements than they have time to consume.

What good are your video games going to do you when you're 70 years old and living in a crooked nursing home and suffering from dementia and arthritis?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

lmao

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

The Dennis System posted:

What good are your video games going to do you when you're 70 years old and living in a crooked nursing home and suffering from dementia and arthritis?

I said, "the lucky few with enough money," and I wasn't referring to myself.

When I'm 70, we'll be living in the cyberpunk dystopia. There will be only the rich and the poor. The rich can insulate themselves from suffering better than the rest of us. They will have the best medical care and the best amusements. Also, I didn't mean video games alone; I meant all the hedonism we have now that they didn't back then. A lot of 70 year olds take boner pills nowadays and continue to be sex fiends, for instance.

I think Shopenhauer's dark world view will still apply to most people, but the lucky few with enough resources will be able to min/max their suffering/pleasure ratio enough to contradict his philosophy. Life will definitely still suck for me at 70 no matter how many rad video games I have.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I just drink blood, and I don't mean transubstantiation, unless I get it from Desiré

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
Just wait until you read Cioran!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

For a good time, read his essay on women.

I also enjoy his essay on noise, where he whines and bitches about the filthy poors making too much noise cracking whips down in the street below him, interrupting his genius intellect at work.

• Locked thread