Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Dutch people still do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Started watching again. GBS's fave character just got raped and now don drapers secretary is telling her how swell her fiance (who raped her) is :stare:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Still I belive you’ll find it wasn’t Don who did the rape.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
yeah but it's telling they were like "my fave character, redhead mcgonzers" not "my fave character, the strong female who overcomes a traumatic event to become a careerwoman!"

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Tighclops posted:

Mad Men is a lot like Star Trek in that I can't help but judge it by the people that are way into it and somehow still miss the point

This sounds like Scarface die-hard fans

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

YeahTubaMike posted:

same, but then i watched three episodes in a row and was bored practically to tears, so i stopped

there was blackface in one of the episodes i saw, and it was supposed to be some "omg the '60s were racist!" scene, and it was whatever

The only time the show offended my modern and progressive social mores is when they went to the park and just left their loving trash all over the place like a bunch of god drat animals

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

yeah but it's telling they were like "my fave character, redhead mcgonzers" not "my fave character, the strong female who overcomes a traumatic event to become a careerwoman!"

the other redhead was pressured to have sex with a potential client, which she did in exchange for a partnership stake, even though she is integral to the business and just as/more capable than the male partners. she was then forced out of the company that purchased her company purely because of sexism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ7vFVaKCMI

Nerses IV posted:

The only time the show offended my modern and progressive social mores is when they went to the park and just left their loving trash all over the place like a bunch of god drat animals

yeah that was when they were still doing the "look it's the 50s!!!!" things

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
You're talking about the same redhead.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

when you nut be she's still sucking

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

maskenfreiheit posted:

was pete the only pro kennedy person in the office/

pete is the only one with good political views in the show

In a later season when Don and Ted go see that Sunkist guy and he bangs his fist on the table and says "REAGAN!" you could see how hosed modern politics are

it may have been ocean spray but the point still stands

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 9, 2018

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tbf Don comes over pretty rapey when he fingerbangs that one chick

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

In a later season when Don and Ted go see that Sunkist guy and he bangs his fist on the table and says "REAGAN!" you could see how hosed modern politics are

Pete is a rapist.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

rape is pretty common anywhere on the political compass

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

rape is pretty common anywhere on the political compass

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

GoutPatrol posted:

Kinsey went on the freedom ride (to get laid and because don kicked him off the la trip, but still)

also peggy is the best lady imho

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

XMNN posted:

also peggy is the best lady imho

Personally I liked that black bunny girl that Lane dated for a bit til his Hitler dad popped up.

Actually, I don't recall Lane having any hugely lovely opinions on the show and he beat the crap out of Pete so he's ok in my book.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
Arguably the best scene is where Lane and Don get drunk on New Year's Day to commiserate their divorces. Lane shouts in fake Japanese at a woman in a movie theater, makes a complete horses rear end of himself at dinner and is treated to a prostitute way too attractive to him by don.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why is it called Mad Men?

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

Why is it called Mad Men?

Because they work on Madison Avenue and coined the name themselves

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

shut up netface posted:

Arguably the best scene is where Lane and Don get drunk on New Year's Day to commiserate their divorces. Lane shouts in fake Japanese at a woman in a movie theater, makes a complete horses rear end of himself at dinner and is treated to a prostitute way too attractive to him by don.

:rip: lane killed by decorum

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

i watched all of mad men and here are the good parts:

Lane's arc

Joan's arc

That one episode where Peggy and Don spend all night in the office together

PIZZA HOUSE

"I'm the baby. Waah, waah."

the rest is bad

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Lane's arc

Joan's arc

PIZZA HOUSE

the rest is bad

when they cut off a british guy's foot it's pretty good

NO KINGS NO MASTERS

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Android Blues posted:

Lane's arc

Joan's arc

PIZZA HOUSE

the rest is bad

Then why did you watch the whole thing you idiot

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

"Did you hear, Kurt's a homo"

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Lane's arc

Joan's arc

PIZZA HOUSE

the rest is bad

wrong

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Blast of Confetti posted:

when you nut be she's still sucking

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
i liked the bye bye birdie/sugar episode

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Working in advertising is soul crushing fun. And it’s incredible how every agency has a Roger, my ex-boss is literally a carbon copy. Also Creative is spot on in the sense they are bunch of humorless assholes who hate what they do but can’t stop doing it.

They got a lot of things right : pitch meetings, media being treated like the red headed stepchild, dumb clients turning down ideas because of personal reasons, etc.

Tldr: A good show.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Also screw Mcann.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Didn't Peggy give a handjob* to some random slob in a movie theater? Or did I make that up??

*not sure what handjobs were called in the 50s/60s

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah she did. Random guy originally sitting behind her who fired up a joint and shared it.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Do they ever show Joan's husband on the show? Only watched a few episodes/clips, but I'm pretty curious who managed to put a ring on Tits McGee since they bill her as the de-facto office babe in the series

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
They never showed her first husband (she was divorced at the beginning), but her second failed marriage was pretty prominent in a season or two. Her second husband was a young doctor who wasn’t going to make the cut (hah!) as a surgeon so he volunteered for the Army. Then volunteered for a second tour.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I like this speech on happiness it rings true to me!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTJrNHdzm0k&t=96s

But yeah overall it was kind of a boring show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

They never showed her first husband (she was divorced at the beginning), but her second failed marriage was pretty prominent in a season or two. Her second husband was a young doctor who wasn’t going to make the cut (hah!) as a surgeon so he volunteered for the Army. Then volunteered for a second tour.

Then he raped her and got her preggo.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Rape yes, preggo don’t think so. Her baby was Roger's, and Doctor Captain Genius couldn’t do calendar math so he thought the kid was his.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Erm, I guess I should say I’m not really a weirdo about this show, it’s just coincidence that I watched it last month.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nerses IV posted:

is this one of those things where nobody in tv or movies says "goodbye" at the end of a phone call? That makes me so mad because that seems rude. What happened to decorum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Rape yes, preggo don’t think so. Her baby was Roger's, and Doctor Captain Genius couldn’t do calendar math so he thought the kid was his.

Oh, right! For some reason I thought it was the husband's kid, but you're correct it was Roger's. Haven't watched since it was airing. Might be time to watch again.

• Locked thread