Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Steve Yun posted:

Happy tenth birthday, Ground Zeroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Midjack posted:

Sneak walking was with the d-pad in the original release of MGS3 though you didn't go into a full crouch when doing it.

And in MGS4 you could do the tactical worm body roll. Only with the power of the PS3.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/1770268287106171222

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
They definitely picked the best person to promote the remake. I'm hopeful it's good.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
how many times do you think David Hayter has accidentally slit dudes throats instead of choking them out

in the VIDEO GAME

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Been playing Peace Walker off and on since finishing MGS4. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it's been fun. Bite-sized Metal Gear works really well, and the story went a lot harder then I was expecting. From what I understand, this is essentially a preview of what to expect in V, which I'll be playing in the near future as well.

I just finished Chapter 4, and saw that I need to grind for a bit to unlock the final chapter. Is the final chapter pretty story heavy? It seems like the plot mostly got resolved, but I'm sure there's more they can pull out of it.

Once I finish Peace Walker, I'll probably replay Rising before moving on to playing the rest of the series for the first time. I haven't played it in over a decade at this point, and it'll be fun to experience it after playing 4 and having a little more context for the story.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Peace Walker, especially the HD version with the twin stick controls, is fantastic. It's the game I'm waiting for the most if Konami decides to release MGS collection Volume 2.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Jokymi posted:

I just finished Chapter 4, and saw that I need to grind for a bit to unlock the final chapter. Is the final chapter pretty story heavy? It seems like the plot mostly got resolved, but I'm sure there's more they can pull out of it.

The final bits basically set up ground zeros. The grind itself should just be "play new missions as they unlock"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Not all of them are necessary for the final ending, there are lists online of which you'll need to do to unlock that.

You'll miss some of the most concentrated Kojima backstory dumps in the series, though, and if you don't want to go on a date with Kaz, why are you even playing Metal Gear?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Peace Walker is straight up MGS5.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Terminally Bored posted:

Peace Walker, especially the HD version with the twin stick controls, is fantastic. It's the game I'm waiting for the most if Konami decides to release MGS collection Volume 2.

Big same

It's not the best Metal Gear game but it's definitely my personal favorite. I'm not a platinum trophy person but I genuinely enjoyed getting that one on PS3

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

itd be cool if PW for the collection has functional multiplayer

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

itd be cool if PW for the collection has functional multiplayer

I think the PS3 version still had multiplayer support but I could be wrong, either way I don’t see why they wouldn’t

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

I think the PS3 version still had multiplayer support but I could be wrong, either way I don’t see why they wouldn’t

its konami, the bar is extremely low

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Larryb posted:

It did and the co-op was just like in Monster Hunter. It was amazing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Terminally Bored posted:

It did and the co-op was just like in Monster Hunter. It was amazing.

The 3 person slingshot thing was a pain to unlock but it was totally worth it

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

TheCenturion posted:

Peace Walker is straight up MGS5. But gooderer

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Peace Walker is lowkey my favorite game in the whole series. Sure the levels are more straightforward and less complex, but it has a ton of toys to unlock and play with, and 2-player co-op through the entire campaign is so much fun. I was hoping in the lead-up to MGSV that it would also include 2-player co-op features but alas,

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You + d-dog counts as co-op imo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It'd be pretty fun to pat another player on the head and tell them they're doing a good job, though

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Peace Walker's my favourite too

MGSV just got too bloated and grindy compared to PW. And no you're fired!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like the gameplay of MGSV a lot but I love PW as an overall package way more. Hope if/when there's a volume 2 pack that PW PC online is active.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't love Peace Walker's smaller discrete mission design compared to the older games' more continuous locations or V's larger environment, but that's fine, it was a portable game. Otherwise, what I've seen of it I mostly liked a lot. It's just those drat vehicle bosses that drove me insane and stopped my playthrough.

I keep thinking about going back to try it again, but between that and having to change my whole gaming setup to resurrect the Xbox I have it on, I just keep :effort:ing out.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I feel like peace walker really benefited from being constrained onto the PSP even with the dogshit control/space limitations. Apparently the team developing it was as big as MGS4 and it's got so many great moments between the side content/tapes etc.

God knows if it's even a consideration for including it in Volume 2 of the master collection but I feel like the Paz stuff would raise a lot more eyebrows in 2024 than it did in 2011 though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

The 3 person slingshot thing was a pain to unlock but it was totally worth it

Wasn't it 4? Two people to hold the ends of the band, one guy to operate it, and the last to be the ammo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Peace Walker multiplayer is P2P rather than server based, so you can still go online on PS3 and get coop partners. There's usually a handful of people about

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rookoo posted:

I feel like peace walker really benefited from being constrained onto the PSP even with the dogshit control/space limitations. Apparently the team developing it was as big as MGS4 and it's got so many great moments between the side content/tapes etc.

God knows if it's even a consideration for including it in Volume 2 of the master collection but I feel like the Paz stuff would raise a lot more eyebrows in 2024 than it did in 2011 though.

I mean, I know Konami and all, but Peace Walker is a fairly major entry into the franchise, outside of the numbered games.

It's more important than Snake's Revenge, that's for sure, though with that, it's pretty much just a ROM. Still, if they make a Volume 2, I'd be completely shocked if it was not included, seeing as though (after patches), the first collection seems to given the appreciation it deserves.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Peace Walker is my favorite of the bunch. So I'd love to see in Volume 2 if it happens.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If they included Snake’s Revenge in the first one I wonder if they’ll include Portable Ops, the Acid games, and/or Ghost Babel in the second (the former could probably be improved a bit with a better control scheme)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

is there a hack for MGS GBC that just replaces the title screen with the Ghost Babel one? i think that's literally the only thing I would want out of a re-release of that

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
It's heartening to see all the positive responses to Peace Walker! I guess I didn't know the game had such a positive reputation before I started it, but it matches my experience with it.

I do have to say that I can't imagine playing it on a PSP, though. Doesn't that have only one stick? I've been playing the backwards compatible 360 version on my Series S and it runs great. I found all of the boss fights fun challenges without being overly difficult. I'd definitely love to see a PC version of it in a future collection, though, especially if it's as modable as 2 and 3 seem to be.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I 100%ed Peace Walker on PSP and I'll say that the one stick controls were as good as they could be and many mucho times better than Portable Ops.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Yeah, played through Peace Walker on both PSP and PS3. It was not ideal but it worked, but it's definitely better with actual twin-stick controls.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

TRANSFARRING

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yetee's offerings today are relevant: https://theyetee.com/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

drat, I want that Colonel shirt. Not in the mood to spend money on it, though :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Baggot posted:

TRANSFARRING

:hmmyes: