Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It's interesting to me that New Japan can work with four "Main" titles for the heavyweights and not feel suffocating, but when Roman Reigns is Intercontinental champion it feels more like a prop than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Spikeguy posted:

Can anyone explain to me all these different titles and how they rank? As far as I have been able to tell the IC and the World titles are actually pretty close in rank. What's the Never championships?

Also, do they treat the different weight class and tag champs as if they were as good as the single champs or is it closer in structure to the WWE titles?

This is a decent rundown of the heirarchy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_champions_in_New_Japan_Pro-Wrestling

NEVER was supposed to be a NJPW-run series of shows highlighting young talent, though it appears that concept was more or less DOA. Over 2016 I kinda thought of it as a strong style belt, but since then it's kinda become the equivalent of the WWE's US or Intercontinental titles: intended to give solid midcard guys something to fight over.

The tag scene is a mess, and I won't even attempt to describe anything about it aside from the NEVER Openweight 6-Man titles are both new and meaningless. They've changed hands something like 15 times over two years, with six or seven reigns lasting less than a month.

Juniors are typically treated as a lesser attraction, but are taken way more seriously than WWE treats cruiserweights. The Junior Heavyweight title is a virtual guarantee that you'll see some fun flippy poo poo happening. They're treated as two separate divisions, though it is possible to transition from junior to heavyweight (see: Kenny Omega, Baretta).

e: Also the US title is new, it was introduced during NJPW's shows in the US in July 2017 via a two-day tournament. Omega won the belt and has defended it a couple times since then. Seems like they're keeping it on him in an attempt to establish it as another solid secondary title.

Also also, the "Openweight" part of the NEVER Openweight Championship is a bit of a misnomer, it's treated like a heavyweight belt.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 5, 2018

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The NEVER belt kind of has a reputation for its fight being more gimmicky but even that's not really set in stone. You're just more likely to see weapons come out for the NEVER belt then you would for the IWGP Heavyweight or Intercontinental.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Openweight element of the NEVER belts should be made more use of, it could be a fun way to have, say, Hiromu wrestle Ishii as a singles, and let them test out juniors against the heavyweight midcarders to see how the reaction is.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Other examples of Juniors who went to bigger and better things as heavyweights include Tatsumi Fujinami, Kenny Omega, Hiroshi Hase, Shiro Koshinaka, Kota Ibushi, Devitt, and Ohtani.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Did Devitt/Balor ever really cross over before going to WWE? I know there was the big angle where he challenged Okada for the heavyweight title, but he was the junior champ at the time, wasn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Gaz-L posted:

Did Devitt/Balor ever really cross over before going to WWE? I know there was the big angle where he challenged Okada for the heavyweight title, but he was the junior champ at the time, wasn't he?
he got as far as possible without actually winning it, there was nowhere left for him to go in NJPW without winning it probably and it wasn't going to happen at the time

• Locked thread