Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ugliest fashion period?
1975-1979
1980-1984
1985-1989
1990-1994
1995-1999
2000-2004
2005-2009
View Results

• Locked thread
Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Why not just buy jeans at this point? What’s wrong with the people that do this?

He's following the middle school me logic of: If they can't see the shape of your body or the fat rolls, they can't prove you're actually fat.

Edit: If he goes swimming or has sex without a shirt on, I'll eat my hat.

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
kevin smith is so far up his own rear end he probably bangs like the dude in american psycho

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

the steampunk time period

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm guessing a lot of you grew up in the 80s.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

White Americans in suits tend to all have naïve Mormon look about them.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
is there a known recurrence time on fashion?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

20ish years

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

they tried to bring the 70s back in the 90s but it only got as far as flare pants

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

this is all great you just dont understand what its like to be a giant in a world of smalls

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ocean Book posted:

is there a known recurrence time on fashion?
I think it's measured in decades. There's a 10-50 year cycle, and after that the era is "classic" because the vast majority of people appropriating it have no frame of reference for the original period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX8BsX3IIa4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_HGqPGp9iY

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Savage For The Winjun posted:

this is all great you just dont understand what its like to be a giant in a world of smalls

Micheal Jordan isn't a giant. He was a millionaire/former probably near billionaire and still wore JNCOs with a leather suit jacket in I'm guessing 2003-ish.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you called mj a tiny man with bad suits he'd just call you a nerd and go back to golfing could your ego handle that?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
When was the period with those t's that changed colour with heat? That was a shameful period in human history.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Collateral posted:

When was the period with those t's that changed colour with heat? That was a shameful period in human history.

i had one of those and it ruled, gently caress you

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Collateral posted:

mid 90's?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

very early 90's

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

d0s posted:

i had one of those and it ruled, gently caress you

So you enjoyed showing off your armpit sweat in a colour gradient did you?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Collateral posted:

So you enjoyed showing off your armpit sweat in a colour gradient did you?

I was in 4th grade and didn't sweat a lot. my shirt was rad as hell it was like the one I posted but neon orange and I was a pimp with it and my yikes pencils and LA gear regulators and skateboard that looked like a back to the future hoverboard

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

my friend had a blue GT performer bike though so I was always second tier cool

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

they tried to bring the 70s back in the 90s but it only got as far as flare pants

There was a big 60s revival in the 90s. Lots of colourful polyester clothes and kitschy interiors. I blame Austin Powers. Also, you had Britpop which was a revival of the Brit invasion music era.

I think boho chic in the early 00s was an attempt at a 70s revival. Lots of long flowing dresses, long hair and floppy hats. Unfortunately, there’s a 70s influence in fashion right now, and I keep seeing teenagers in those awful aviator glasses that make them look like a sleazy producer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

d0s posted:

my friend had a blue GT performer bike though so I was always second tier cool

Ain't no shame in being runner-up to this

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I had a color-changing shirt. It was a horse that had zebra stripes when it was hot enough. I was a little elementary school celebrity every time I wore it because the other kids wanted to see it change colors.

Those shirts ruled and I unironically want mood clothing to be a thing in the spacetime future.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

like a cigarette should posted:

I had a color-changing shirt. It was a horse that had zebra stripes when it was hot enough. I was a little elementary school celebrity every time I wore it because the other kids wanted to see it change colors.

Those shirts ruled and I unironically want mood clothing to be a thing in the spacetime future.

You should put that in a script and send it to Black Mirror.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Gaunab posted:

You should put that in a script and send it to Black Mirror.

At the bar trying to talk to a girl but your smart shirt flashes "HORNY"

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
fanny packs were big in the 80s/90s

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Gaunab posted:

fanny packs were big in the 80s/90s

Fanny packs are back this season

This is not a joke look it up

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

berth ell pup posted:

i think david bowie is extremely overrated. that's not me being an edgelord or whatever but his music just does next to nothing for me. also yeah he had like a fleet of savile row tailors making clothes for him so of course they were perfect because Parlophone or whatever was paying the tab.

e2 i really do like 70s glam but Bowie was just too hellbent on being effeminate which is cool I guess but like he was 65 and doing the ziggy stardust thing and there comes a point where youre too old for That poo poo.

this is rad as gently caress however, it took serious panache to do this:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x38qqp
this is only an excerpt as it lacks the oboe solo intro and isnt on youtube but it's a loving gem

He was 25 when doing Ziggy so congrats on continuing to be a retard.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Tried to buy a pair of plain jeans recently but they all had holes, or were crop pants, or had an unfinished hem, or had all three of these qualities. 2018 starting off strong.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

like a cigarette should posted:

The 70s was ugly in every single aspect. That's why everything from that time period is colored pea soup green.

Looking at photos from the period, 1970s fashion seems to have been much kinder to black dudes than to everyone else.

I mean, there's a lot of fashion catalogues etc. that feature one cool-looking black dude and several white dudes who look like crap. Too many to be coincidence.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Groke posted:

Looking at photos from the period, 1970s fashion seems to have been much kinder to black dudes than to everyone else.

I mean, there's a lot of fashion catalogues etc. that feature one cool-looking black dude and several white dudes who look like crap. Too many to be coincidence.

[Haha pretend Groke is looking at a dirty cock book while you read this post and it's funny]

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
the netherlands merchant ladies of the renaissance all looked loving pregnant and bald

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

SEX BURRITO posted:

There was a big 60s revival in the 90s. Lots of colourful polyester clothes and kitschy interiors. I blame Austin Powers. Also, you had Britpop which was a revival of the Brit invasion music era.

I think boho chic in the early 00s was an attempt at a 70s revival. Lots of long flowing dresses, long hair and floppy hats. Unfortunately, there’s a 70s influence in fashion right now, and I keep seeing teenagers in those awful aviator glasses that make them look like a sleazy producer.

So does music nostalgia go in 20 year cycles, fason in 30s?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Fanny packs are back this season

This is not a joke look it up

They're back but all the safely fashionable people wear them slung over the shoulder like a tiny messenger bag.

I wear my fanny pack above my rear end as intended.

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

Dr. Dogballs Jr. posted:

the netherlands merchant ladies of the renaissance all looked loving pregnant and bald

High foreheads were considered beautiful in some regions during the Renaissance and so women would pluck their hair out to give the illusion that their forehead was bigger.

I suppose it’s no worse than hispanic chicks now who pluck out their eyebrows and paint them higher up on their forehead with a Sharpie.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
70s/early 80s fashion somehow almost always looks great in anime. I guess the medium had to get at least ONE thing right...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
The 90s brought about the ultimate fashion accessory from the 60s and 70s: the puka shell necklace

• Locked thread