Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Problem description:

I installed Antergos Linux on a partition on a brand new Acer laptop. Both OS' now work perfectly, but I a. cannot access the BIOS any more (I get a black screen with a solid white cursor at the top left of the screen) and b. cannot boot into Linux without booting into Windows first, shift-restarting to get the extra options, and selecting the antergos_grub option in the boot from external media screen.

The sequence of events leading to this:

1. Burned and verified an Antergos live USB
2. Disbled fast boot in Windows, and disabled secure boot in the BIOS (set up security password, which then opened up the option to disable secure boot).
3. forgot to enable the F12 boot screen option in the BIOS
4. The Laptop has a 128Gb SSD and a 1Tb HD. Created a 20Gb root partition on the SSD for Linux OS, 4Gb for swap, 250GB on the HD for the home directory. Note no boot partition was created, as Windows already has a /boot/efi partition so when I got to that point in the Linux install, just specified that as the path.
5. Followed the instructions here: https://antergos.com/wiki/install/how-to-dual-boot-antergos-windows-uefi-expanded-by-linuxhat/
6. Linux installed fine, computer restarted, booted into Windows immediately - from then on, above issue occurs.

Ideally, I want to a. be able to access BIOS and [from there allow the menu that allows me to] b. choose which OS to boot into at startup.

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?

It's turns out to be a bit difficult to dredge up answers when you're not sure of the exact question to ask. This is my first time installing using Linux and running it alongside Windows in about 12 years; I've used a Mac in that interim period, and me Windows/Linux knowledge has atrophied. Lots of seemingly relevant threads i dredge up end with the answer "ur laptop is broken" (eg this: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/534756/cant-get-into-bios-after-linux-install-attempt, poster describes exact same issue). My laptop afaics isn't at all broken; I think I'm just missing something obvious.

Tried on Reddit, and got told to point Windows at grub (see https://askubuntu.com/questions/744697/i-need-to-see-the-bcdedit-for-a-windows10-ubuntu-install-both-by-wubi-and-by-sep#744840). Can set up a boot entry just fine, still does nothing to fix the problem though - exactly as described in one of the comments on the SO answer "I tried the above commands. It indeed added a new entry, but adding it as first one (/addfirst) does not seem to be effective. It still boots Windows by default instead of grub."

I'm a bit stuck beyond this; I don't want to absolutely bugger up a brand new laptop so some pointers as to which areas to investigate for fixes would be great.

Recent changes: Yes, clearly.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit/Antergos Linux

System specs:
Model no. SF315-51G-83R6
Acer Swift 3 15" Ultra-slim, 8Gb RAM, i7-8550U, Nvidia MX-150 graphics

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try resetting the CMOS through a jumper (or by removing the battery as a last option) although I'm not sure if that laptop gives easy access to do that.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Unfortunately, no easy access. It's sealed around the edges: I can get in no problem, but I suspect doing so will void the warranty which I'm not quite prepared to do.

However, I flashed the BIOS, and doing so enabled access. But then, after working through various options, I tried turning off secure boot (it had been disabled to allow installation of Linux, but flashing seemed to reenable it). Soon as that was done and I restarted, failed to access BIOS again - I am assuming this is the issue. Can't reflash with the same BIOS or downgrade using the available lower version, so I'll investigate a bit further.

• Locked thread