Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terper posted:

An unshaven Kondo is... powerful...!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah i'm... honestly a little confused about who this show is supposed to be for and how i feel about the premise kinda depends on that.

from the way everything's depicted, I honestly figured this was a shojo series and the audience was supposed to have more in common with Akira than with Kondo; it really seems like the series is more horny for him than it is for her. that would have been basically fine? like, a little offputting, but Not Horrible. but then, the manga is apparently published in a seinen magazine that also runs Inio Asano's newest work and the anime's on noitaminA, which tells me it's actually being targeted at middle-aged men who fantasize about banging high schoolers, because... I kinda get the vibe the teen-girl audience for artsy seinen manga and late-night anime is not huge

i don't know how i feel about this and i'm probably just not going to touch it with a 50-foot pole until people who are smarter than me hash this out.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe take the show as it is and not worry so much about the magazine and tv channel demographics.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
e: this is a bad idea, dropping it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

from the way everything's depicted, I honestly figured this was a shojo series and the audience was supposed to have more in common with Akira than with Kondo; it really seems like the series is more horny for him than it is for her. that would have been basically fine? like, a little offputting, but Not Horrible. but then, the manga is apparently published in a seinen magazine that also runs Inio Asano's newest work and the anime's on noitaminA, which tells me it's actually being targeted at middle-aged men who fantasize about banging high schoolers, because... I kinda get the vibe the teen-girl audience for artsy seinen manga and late-night anime is not huge
You're free to feel however you want to about this manga, but trying to judge target audience based off the manga magazine its in and the time/block it airs in is an imprecise science at best. Houseki no Kuni is a manga with an incredibly female fanbase, mostly in late teens/early 20s, and it runs in the same magazine as Parasyte and Mysterious Girlfriend X and aired pretty late at night, though admittedly on a weekend. By strict definitions, Houseki no Kuni is an 'artsy seinen manga.' Seinen magazines are a little more gender neutral these days than they were in the 90s, just like how there are tons of women reading shonen manga magazines these days.

Admittedly, the magazine this series runs in is fairly male-focused even today, but that doesn't necessarily mean this series is laser-targeted at adult men or anything. And even among series that do seem much more laser-focused at men, like Vinland Saga (which also runs in the same magazine as Houseki, coincidentally), they can attract fairly large female fanbases for a variety of reasons. And of the series currently running in the same magazine as this series, there's Asahinagu, a series about a girl's naginata club that has a stage play and a live action film. Those things are very common for things popular with women or that they see as having a big appeal with women, but are much less common for things that appeal to men. A ton of josei manga get them, not to mention shonen manga that are popular with women, like prince of tennis or fullmetal alchemist. I skimmed a couple of chapters just now, and I didn't see anything about it that'd turn women off. So it's safe to say there's at least one other series in the same magazine with a fairly female lean in terms of demographic.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
ty for that Endorph, I have zero knowledge about magazines so that's all new info for me

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Koi is written by a lady and is the kind of romance series thats probably meant to boost the demographic reach of the seinen mag it runs in.

Its for people who like life and love and isn't something laser targeted by gender or age group. Also there's new chapters after months of nothing weee.

http://reader.roseliascans.com/read/koi_wa_ameagari_no_you_ni/en/7/49/page/1

And new chars.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://shibirerudarou.wordpress.com/2018/02/11/reflections-in-the-puddle-age-gap-romances-regret-and-loneliness-in-after-the-rain/ heres an article that i just read

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Noitamina hasn't really been like this for years, but it used to air tons of shows aimed at women like Princess Jellyfish and Nodame Cantabile. This isn't a typical otaku show lol

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The hamster episode was really funny.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/965253912583274496

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh :( 2 chapters seems sudden. I'm not up-to-date with it yet, is it in the middle of a conclusion already?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's some 30~ish non-scanlated chapters.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ah, alright

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Well that upped the ante...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm glad that they're friends.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I ship their friendship.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Is Friend an edit?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Coaaab posted:

Is Friend an edit?

nope lol

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Terper posted:

An unshaven Kondo is... powerful...!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Worldly auntie is ... great.
Just caught up with this series, procrastinating on some work. Still good :)

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
!

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

That last episode left me crying and smiling. Criling. Smying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Oh my gosh please tell me the chapter in the manga where the anime leaves off, I can't just end it like that

• Locked thread