Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

arstechnica is pretty good. one of the good things they do is at times having competent people summarizing real research in very important areas

the average journal is actually likely a lot worse, being the product of a rather flawed system of science-by-random-funding-constraint-and-committee. sure, read tcs if that is your thing, but that is not actually that useful information for leading ones life

tbqh, ars technica may be bad, but i struggle to think what would overall be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

like, here. instead of looking at articles written by video gamers or graphics card companies talking about how lifelike the jiggle physics are in boob raider 2018, watch the siggraph paper demo reels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YvIHREdVX4

RODTRONICS spotted at 0:11

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

how was byte, comparatively? i mean, aside from the columns that someone described as "jerry pournelle's computers don't work"

i had a subscription as a kid and i don't know why. there were some technical articles, but iirc it was mostly product reviews directed towards "power users" and/or corporate buyers, plus a bunch of regular columns which notably included john dvorak always being wrong

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the average journal is actually likely a lot worse, being the product of a rather flawed system of science-by-random-funding-constraint-and-committee. sure, read tcs if that is your thing, but that is not actually that useful information for leading ones life

the average tech publication is literal advertisements and when they talk about anything real it’s misrepresented sensational bullshit for clicks. the journals I have stacks of are actually useful for my research, which is leading my life, so gently caress off. where do you think you’re posting?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

OldAlias posted:

the average tech publication is literal advertisements and when they talk about anything real it’s misrepresented sensational bullshit for clicks. the journals I have stacks of are actually useful for my research, which is leading my life, so gently caress off. where do you think you’re posting?

well, the journals by a few steps of indirection pay my bills so that's good i guess, but i am not really convinced that the things that they are publishing, including the things i put into some of them, is terribly relevant to anything of any greater worth

i certainly struggle to imagine the world where i'd actually advice a real human person, not in on this particular racket, ro read any of them

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

OldAlias posted:

touched a nerve

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well, the journals by a few steps of indirection pay my bills so that's good i guess, but i am not really convinced that the things that they are publishing, including the things i put into some of them, is terribly relevant to anything of any greater worth

i certainly struggle to imagine the world where i'd actually advice a real human person, not in on this particular racket, ro read any of them

yospos is the forum for laypeople and labourers

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

this year i learned that if i want to actually understand what the state of a given field is, i need to (get someone else to pay for me to) go to a conference or workshop or w/e and hang out with the folks publishing papers and get them to talk about their unpublished ongoing research

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

for everything else i rely on articles suggested by Firefox Pocket, op

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Glorgnole posted:

:five:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

like, here. instead of looking at articles written by video gamers or graphics card companies talking about how lifelike the jiggle physics are in boob raider 2018, watch the siggraph paper demo reels

all very cool but i had a robot hand right down to the grey and white plastic when i was a kid so im calling plagiarism on cool robot hand research papers

the audio editing is loving impressive and will change a lot of podcast and radio quick editing and recording if it doesnt take a lot of horsepower

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

yeh. science and nature are the big gorillas -- though the papers are over the layperson's head (by intention), that's the Realest Science there is. read the abstracts and don't sweat the rest

scientific american is also pretty good if you're into a more pop-culture science thing (right now the headlining article on their site is why dogs eat poop). MIT technology review is decent but they've got a lot of fart-huffing stuff about disruption and innovation and business poo poo too.

there are no good mass-market "tech" publications. Popular Science is the closest you'd get to that and it's still full of articles about fighter jet laser guns and ads for sex pheromones. Popular Mechanics is worse. everything else is just lifestyle advertising glued together with college-intern-level copywriting

if you want to read about new developments in a specific field of tech, read the relevant journals or look at the conference proceedings. start with the ACM and IEEE digital libraries, for instance

IEEE Spectrum is pretty good, but it's written by EEs :smugdroid:
I enjoy reading it on the plane or where I post

e: https://www.spectrum.ieee.org/

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

OldAlias posted:

yospos is the forum for laypeople and labourers

Post the Real poo poo you're privy to

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

emoji posted:

Post the Real poo poo you're privy to

alright but it depends on your interests. covering tech, art, media and humanities monoskop is really good.
https://monoskop.org/Monoskop & https://monoskop.org/log/ has loads of good texts. AAAAARG is cool too, the “Artists, Architects, and Activists Reading Group.” http://aaaaarg.fail - good to see it’s no longer closed to the public. maybe memory of the world http://library.memoryoftheworld.org/#property=authors
some others are just private groups to share white papers and poo poo

im into GIS & remote sensing stuff so journals like Cartographica, annals of the association of American geographers, geographical reports of Tokyo metropolitan university, Canadian geographer etc often have articles relevant to my work and studies. some others on data viz are also p interesting to me

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 30, 2018

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Glorgnole posted:

Kobo e-readers can sync with Pocket, so you can put a bunch of long-reads in your Pocket and read Interweb articles when you're on the shinkansen (Japanese for bullet train)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

this gaijin assumption of our ignorance and lack of dictionaries brings me no pleasure, kevin

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Agile Vector posted:

this gaijin assumption of our ignorance and lack of dictionaries brings me no pleasure, kevin

mr. vector, please accept my apologies. omae no kaachan debeso. or as we say in english, "as my grandparents are my witness, never will i offend your honour again."

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

RODTRONICS spotted at 0:11

one day i’ll be in s i to the double g raph and put rodtronics there

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PleasureKevin posted:

mr. vector, please accept my apologies. omae no kaachan debeso. or as we say in english, "as my grandparents are my witness, never will i offend your honour again."

🏹 i accept and bow in respect to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Sagebrush posted:

this channel is epic

https://www.youtube.com/user/keeroyz

• Locked thread