Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Has anything with the label "Dark Ages" been any good?

Apropos of nothing, the IS seemed to prefer humanoid 'Mech designs for Assault Mechs, while the Clanners preferred chicken-walkers. Did that ever have an impact on the tabletop, or was it just aesthetics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

painedforever posted:

Has anything with the label "Dark Ages" been any good?

Apropos of nothing, the IS seemed to prefer humanoid 'Mech designs for Assault Mechs, while the Clanners preferred chicken-walkers. Did that ever have an impact on the tabletop, or was it just aesthetics?

Aesthetics,mostly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Last Time on Dragoonball Z

We have to rescue the major!
AHA you fools, it was a trap!
You can't trap us!
We're here to fight you!
That means you just kinda gave us what we actually wanted.
Which is hardly a good trap at all, when you think about it.
RELEASE THE SPIDERS!

In case anyone's wondering "do those planets really make the ComStar logo?"

No. No they do not.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 16, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm catching up on old videos and I'd like to commend and/or hate Roboky for the atlas pun in #9. just... wow.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Psion posted:

commend and/or hate Roboky
it's and, it's always and

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Your commented video has some serious audio lag, game audio was a couple minutes off from the video.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The ingame audio for the latest video is weird. I can't tell if its desynced or not because I kept hearing the low health noise when it was full and irregular jump jet noises when walking.

Edit: Oh good, it wasn't just me then.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well that wasn't what I expected from a final boss. I was expecting some kind of 200 ton experimental superheavy mech or a Rattler.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Psion posted:

I'm catching up on old videos and I'd like to commend and/or hate Roboky for the atlas pun in #9. just... wow.

Are you kidding? That thing was pure art. It strikes like a catapult falling from the sky.

legioN7
Jul 13, 2016
It technically is an experimental superheavy battlemech, but it's an unfinished one. It's legs have not been constructed/installed yet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cooked Auto posted:

The ingame audio for the latest video is weird. I can't tell if its desynced or not because I kept hearing the low health noise when it was full and irregular jump jet noises when walking.

Hm, that's odd. It lined up on my end. Let me try to fix that.

Edit: Yeah, something's loving up when I rip the audio out of the video. I have a solution but it's kludgy.

Double Edit: It's been taken down temporarily while the replacement uploads

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 15, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Well that wasn't what I expected from a final boss. I was expecting some kind of 200 ton experimental superheavy mech or a Rattler.

Instead, you got the Atlas Guncannon Type

Edit: Video fix is up!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 16, 2018

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: Video fix is up!
It looks like that worked: the game audio seems to be perfectly synched now.

Edit:
you aren't exaggerating about the boss' hitbox. I remember it took me forever to kill it when I played this because my shots kept either missing or hitting everywhere but the weak spot.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 16, 2018

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

legioN7 posted:

It technically is an experimental superheavy battlemech, but it's an unfinished one. It's legs have not been constructed/installed yet.

Battlemech designers have always held that 100 tons was the absolute maximum size a mech could be. Trying to go higher ran into significant problems namely,

*Making a reactor large enough to actually get it to move
*A Gyro system that could keep something that big balanced while walking
*The real danger of the thing literally collapsing under it's own weight
There are some super-heavies listed, they're generally Tripod designs and I recall reading that they needed two or more pilots to function effectively. Even then they're usually used in a defense role as their maneuverability is so piss-poor that they're easily flanked or ganged up on.

Rabidredneck fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 16, 2018

legioN7
Jul 13, 2016
I vaguely remember that at some point efforts to make viable superheavies was occuring, but Comstar sabotaged the project so it failed so spectacularly that no one tried again.

Edit: Can't find anything on it so take the previous statement with a grain of salt.
in exchange, have the canon Word of Blake 150 ton superheavy, the Omega.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Omega_(BattleMech)

legioN7 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 16, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Clearly the solution everyone missed was to just let the 200 ton super atlas crawl around on its elbows.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I think Roboky nailed it with EvilMcBadguy doing everything just to get his anime robot because it doesn't have much of a reason to exist otherwise: plugging all the magic cores into it means that it's one robot; it might be a really powerful and scary robot, but you don't conquer the entire Inner Sphere with a single mecha.
To conquer the galaxy you need a whole armada with regiments of battlemechs, which from what we've seen the WoB already has.

Also since you mentioned it a few times, do you have any plans of covering MechAssault 1 too, or is that one less dumb than this?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

radintorov posted:

Also since you mentioned it a few times, do you have any plans of covering MechAssault 1 too, or is that one less dumb than this?

That one was less dumb, but more frustrating. It was a better designed game with more planning, but I never really enjoyed playing it. I could, I do own it, I just have no intention to do so right now.

I do have another vintage game LP planned (I just finished filming it today, in fact, it's why I was so slow to realize there was an audio issue) that picks up right where this one left off.

:iamafag:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"These datacores will be something truly great for all humanity."
"What do they do?"
":shrug:"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

legioN7 posted:

I vaguely remember that at some point efforts to make viable superheavies was occuring, but Comstar sabotaged the project so it failed so spectacularly that no one tried again.

Edit: Can't find anything on it so take the previous statement with a grain of salt.
in exchange, have the canon Word of Blake 150 ton superheavy, the Omega.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Omega_(BattleMech)

The Omega is just Gausszilla with C3i and some extra armor.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Really Pants posted:

"These datacores will be something truly great for all humanity."
"What do they do?"

"We maybe didn't think this through."
"Yeah."
"Want to make a giant robot spider?"
"Sure, sounds good."

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
"right now" is about domestic abuse? I thought it was about self mutilation because of it's music video that featured shitloads of it :barf:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

"We maybe didn't think this through."
"Yeah."
"Want to make a giant robot spider?"
"Sure, sounds good."

"Maybe I shouldn't have been listening to Korn while I made them."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Thefluffy posted:

"right now" is about domestic abuse? I thought it was about self mutilation because of it's music video that featured shitloads of it :barf:

That's how I interpreted it, too many of the lines talk about hurting an ephemeral "other." I admit it could be an internal "I'm looking in a mirror" monologue, but with no other context this verse sorta breaks that impression:

quote:

You open your mouth again
I swear I'm gonna break it
You open your mouth again,
By god I cannot take it

Which comes directly before the "Shut up, shut up, shut up, I'll gently caress you up" bit. That's a weird thing to tell yourself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This entire video I kept thinking y'all meant Khorne, not Korn. Khorne would probably have made for a more interesting final boss.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Oh hey, my namesake was involved in this.

Went from making MechCommander and heading MW4 to this. You can see how we got to this game during his tenure.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Y'know, Earth's defences are legitimately horrifying. I read the old FASA Star League book about how Kerensky and the SLDF broke through. There were independent defence droids, and platforms, and guns, guns and more guns. During the Jihad, it was worse, because I don't think that the forces facing off against the Word of Blake had anywhere near the number of warships that the SLDF had.

Gee, if only they had a magick data core to cloak their warships. Good grief.

Y'know, when you were dodging around the Timber Wolves, I was wondering why you didn't just climb the buildings, jump from rooftop to rooftop, and then drop on them. And then when you did, I saw the problem(s). The controls aren't that good, and those Timber Wolves don't stay in one place, do they? They retreat, firing their machine guns.

And here is the Ragnarok! And I thought I hated it, with its magic shields in the first MechAssault. How nice of them to make an even more bullshit 'Mech that breaks all of the rules.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Ya know, on one hand, I can't help but think how incredibly stupid the Big Bad's plans for galactic domination is. But on the other, I realize these are the Wobbies we're talking about, and if there is one faction outside of the Clans who thinks that they can just bludgeon the rest of the Inner Sphere into subserviance through raw, brute force on such a massive scale, it would be the religiously fanatical Blakists who thinks that the creator of Space AT&T is a great prophet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I mean when I think about it space at&t would have the best opportunity to get their message out because they’re at&t

🤔🤭😱!!!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I don't know about that. I've been reading the news. How much do you trust the real AT&T or Verizon when they tell you that the repeal of net neutrality won't change a damned thing?

The trouble with Word of Blake is that not only are they split from the original Space AT&T (who were caught by "those in the know" of attempting to manipulate events), but they're also religious nutjobs. Thing about religious nutjobs is that rational thinking isn't their strong suit. About the time that they start frothing at the mouth, everyone takes a big step back, and thinks about how they're going to get out of there with their lives. Because there's no reasoning with them.

Remember, Daesh's big plan was to have a big ol' apocalyptic battle in Syria to bring about Judgement Day. A bigger giant-er robot in a Universe of big giant robots is almost sane.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
A few days late, but I appreciate in video 10 the guy reading my AV text. :shobon:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Strobe posted:

A few days late, but I appreciate in video 10 the guy reading my AV text. :shobon:

TOO BAD I loving FUMBLED IT BUT I GAVE IT AN HONEST TRY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man, this game is as fun/awful as I remember. :allears:

• Locked thread