Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Most halo style lights look poo poo, those look sweet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Most halo style lights look poo poo, those look sweet though.

Yeah I really like the dimmed amber filament style halo.. the bright white LED halos wouldn’t work for me.

The shop that did that car said those bulbs came off a BMW and were custom fitted for the 64.

I’ll have to call dapper and see if they can do amber that can be dimmed to get the look I want.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Your car is awesome.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Winter sucks.. but parts are accumulating. T-minus 4 months till we pull her out of storage and work on the next project.

I have a million parts ready to go.. gotta decide what’s next?

Interior, engine bay, stereo, trim, bumpers, dynamat, etc

I’m leaning towards redoing the engine bay first ..

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 27, 2018

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Holy poo poo..

What are you planning to do on the trim/bumpers? Just replace with new OEM or going for a different kind of look?

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

angryhampster posted:

Holy poo poo..

What are you planning to do on the trim/bumpers? Just replace with new OEM or going for a different kind of look?

Same original look, just brand new (reproduction) parts without dings or scratches.. the current trim rattles a bit as the fasteners are ancient and broken or missing in places.

I would also like to find a way to put some subtle padding between the trim and the body, kinda like a rubber seal? Silicon? With the stereo that will go in I want to avoid as much rattle as possible... not sure what is best practise for this.

For the bumpers I have a brand new set ready to install with a chrome bolt kit for them.. original style as well.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Small update..

I’m way behind schedule this year. Pulled the car out of storage and gave it a good wash:

I took some time to replace the gas tank support straps and add in new front seat belts from retro-belt.

Old:

New:

I also have new belts for the rear seat which had no belts at all.. that’s for another day.

First item on the list now is to add a parking brake and get the windshield washer working.

I’m well behind schedule as my business partner and I formed a professional fireworks display company.. I’ve been stuck in a barn for a week building racks:

The car has been on the back-burner as we prep for Canada Day pyro shows.

Hopefully I’ll be working on the car more in July and post more updates!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How do you get started in the fireworks display industry? Did you line up a client beforehand?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yes, please post more about professional fireworks. I feel like there must be layers upon layers of permits invovled

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Professional fireworks in Canada is regulated by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) specifically their Explosives Regulatory Division (ERD). This is all under the Mining and Minerals area of the organization.

To be licensed to shoot display fireworks you need to attend a course from NRCan and pass a test. This is only a 1 day course! Once completed you get an “Assistants” license. This level of license allows you to apprentice with a professional firm and gain experience on shows.

Once you have done 3 shows you can be recommended by the supervisors where you apprentice and level up to a supervisor card through NRCan.. this allows you to actually purchase 1.3G fireworks and hold your own shows.

In order to buy the pyro you need to have permission from the local authority having jurisdiction (Fire chief) of the area where you want your show to be located.. you also need insurance. Insurance in this field is not cheap. If you have all this you can move forward and do a pro show on your own.

From this point there are options.. you can get license endorsements such as barge/floating platform, large shells (over 155mm), nautical effects, rooftop/bridge/flatbed, other effects.. etc. This takes more apprenticeship under someone who holds these licenses.

There are also special licenses for Pyrotechnics vs Display Fireworks.. this includes stuff like concert pyro and close proximity effects.. stage/theatre pyro, etc

You also need special licenses to store certain quantities of pyro vs. just buying it per show.. this is a magazine license where you need a properly fitted mag (shipping container) in some discrete location with lots of security and other protections.

I’ve been doing all this for about 7 years now and made good friends with the first company I apprenticed at.. My buddy and I formed a company and partnered with the original firm to take a certain territory. I’m an entrepreneur and feel that my hobbies are always more sustainable if I build a business model around them..

It’s a serious amount of work.. but a wicked blast.. You are at ground zero, adrenaline going, loud pyro going off, the entire area is literally raining fire.. and when it’s all over the crowd cheers for your efforts.

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 10, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've always dreamed of being a pyrotech guy. In fact its what I said I wanted to do in 6th grade growing up. I promptly got made fun of for it on kid kraddik's nationally syndicated morning show since he was at an event where we had to have a bunch of our "what I wanna be when I grow up" things read. I still shot a few applications out for fun here in florida, but never got a bite. Keep livin the dream bud. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Finally got around to posting an update..

I was able to install rear seat belts. The car came with none from the factory.

Installing the new belts requires removing the rear bench seat and drilling holes in the floor pan.

There are dimples in the floor plan for where to drill the holes for the belts..

The bolts are fixed into place with nuts and lock washers and a large washer on the underside of the car.. all back in and things look great.

I was also able to install a new windshield washer fluid reservoir and pump.. this was missing from the car when I bought it. I also replaced the rubber hoses to the spray nozzles on the windshield.

I painted the bracket for this gloss black and found a spot to mount it.

And snuck in a replacement rear view mirror.. all nice and shiny with new chrome.

And now it’s off to storage.. Hopefully I’ll get to work on it more next spring.

While we wait let’s blow up more poo poo!