Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Problem description: Power went out for about an hour this morning. I didn't worry about it much because all my electronics are behind surge protectors, but when I tried to boot up my old PC this afternoon it didn't respond to the power button in any way. No lights, no fans, no sound, nothing. Checking inside the case, the interior power LED (which is normally solid green, even with the computer shut off) is flickering - not flashing, but going on and off fast enough to look like it's just dimmer than usual.

Attempted fixes: Plugged the computer directly into the wall, bypassing the surge protector. Disconnected all peripherals. Disconnected the power supply from everything and tested the main motherboard connection. All the pins seem to be within tolerances. Reseated the RAM. Replaced the CMOS battery. Checked the power switch connection.

Recent changes: Nope.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit.

System specs:

Oh god. I built this computer 5 years ago and all the receipts are in German. Let's see...

PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower QFan 650W ATX 2.2
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K, 3,3GHz, 6MB Cache
Motherboard - Asus P8P67 REV3.1
Memory - 16Gb Kingston KVR13N9S8K2/8 RAM 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics - MSI NVidia GTX 970 (4Gb)
Hard Drives - Two SSD, two regular. I can probably hunt out the specs if anyone cares.
Sound card - Asus Xonar

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

--

One additional weirdness. The last thing I did was lie the computer on its side to get a better look at the motherboard. I turned on the PSU, and the LED lit up solid green. Powered it on, and it got as far as BIOS before getting pissy because I'd changed the CMOS battery and there was no keyboard plugged in. I thought everything was fixed, but after getting it back upright all the old symptoms came back and I haven't managed to get it to boot again since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd guess a failing PSU and/or motherboard (abnormal flickering doesn't sound good) before anything else. But with the age of the computer it could be many different things.

I'd try using only one stick of RAM and only the OS drive (if you haven't already). If that doesn't work I'd try another PSU.

If a new PSU doesn't help then I'd try another video card or motherboard.

• Locked thread