Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

T1g4h posted:

It's been a while since I've fired up Horizon 3, but I figured I should drop this here:

Here is a list of all Forzathons, past, present, and upcoming through the month of April

Right now you can win a Dodge Dart Hemi Super Stock HE, and you have until the 9th! The most exciting one is coming March 30th, and if it's anything like the one a good number of us missed out on, it looks like you'll have the chance to get a 356 Speedster barn find :woop:

Thanks for this. I've forgotten to log in and check the Forzathons for a couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Modus Man posted:

I played the hell out of gran turismo 2 and 4 when I was younger and had tons a free time to earn all the credits I needed to buy any of the cars I wanted. As a grown up kid with wife and kids I bought gran turismo 6 to scratch the itch. Luckily, right when I bought it there was a money glitch and I used it to get enough money in the game to last a few lifetimes. Without that money glitch, my limited play time wouldn't earn enough money for me to enjoy the game. Is there a game out now that has a ton of cars, drives more like a simulation than arcade, and gives you access to a ton of cars without a big time sink?

Project Cars 2 is fairly close to what you're looking for- 200+ cars with the DLC season pass, no real unlocking (you can start the career mode at whatever level you want) and a pretty solid physics sim model (including full weather with transitions and gravel/dirt). VR support is excellent if you're into that.
Myself and a few other goons are doing weekly races on PC over in the sim racing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763524&pagenumber=98#post481853368

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Speaking of, Project Cars 2 is on sale on steam for the next couple of days.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ortazel posted:

Project Cars 2 is fairly close to what you're looking for- 200+ cars with the DLC season pass, no real unlocking (you can start the career mode at whatever level you want) and a pretty solid physics sim model (including full weather with transitions and gravel/dirt). VR support is excellent if you're into that.
Myself and a few other goons are doing weekly races on PC over in the sim racing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763524&pagenumber=98#post481853368

Thanks for posting this, I may get on for some pcars.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.
Is the GRRC group not a thing anymore? I just started playing Horizon 3 and did a search for the club and I couldn't find it. I'm going to add all the people in the OP, I'm TrampusSA in game.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Reminds me I need to add those folks. I know at least a couple of you have added me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

T1g4h posted:

It's been a while since I've fired up Horizon 3, but I figured I should drop this here:

Here is a list of all Forzathons, past, present, and upcoming through the month of April

Right now you can win a Dodge Dart Hemi Super Stock HE, and you have until the 9th! The most exciting one is coming March 30th, and if it's anything like the one a good number of us missed out on, it looks like you'll have the chance to get a 356 Speedster barn find :woop:

Ooo thanks for this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Ooo thanks for this.

Actually, as of today, it’s a Halo Warthog.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

It looks like Forza 7 Ultimate is down to $60 US, base game down to $35 on the MS store.

I've been playing some Horizon 3; I've never been a sim racer type or much of a car guy, but i'm getting to the point where grip/apex/power is finally making sense, so I picked up 7 on sale to get better at that.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I bought FH3 on a sale awhile ago, I've enjoyed most of it so far, but the way it decides what other cars you see driving around really bothers me... IE, if you're driving a Warthog or whatever, you'll see lots and lots of computer drivers also in Warthogs, or at least a car of roughly the same class. I guess it makes sense from the point of being able to challenge other cars you see to races, but it bugs me in the same way Grand Theft Auto games do with same sort of thing. I don't like working to save up for an old Ferrari or whatever, then immediately see twelve others.

Oh.... poo poo. Am I a car hipster?

In races, one big difference I've noted from older Forza games is that the game will automatically generate cars that are roughly your same PI, based on eligible cars, so you can't go into a race that's just "old Porsches" anymore with some S2-tuned 1968 911 and wipe the floor with everyone.
It makes every race competitive, but the way that Forza AI drivers always stick exactly to the recommended line and YOU START EVERY GODDAMNED RACE at the back of the pack makes races where every car are within 20 PI points of each other tedious. You spend most of the race hammering through places 1-11 (which are concentrated in 1 or 2 blobs) and then breeze through the rest of the race once you're in front.

Also the wheelspins are really frustrating in the way you'll see cool cars, and then win 2 grand. Whee. It's a nice bonus when you get one, but just a huge tease otherwise.

I do really enjoy the sheer variety of cars, though. One of my favorite ways to play lately is to pick a class-D car (ideally something with as low of a PI as possible) and have shitbox competitions with the AI.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Earlier in the week I won a set of street races to get the Warthog. With the cheapest “Extreme Off-road” truck available (Jeep Trailcat - free, as a gift or reward or something. Just noticed it while looking at the class list for something to buy and use) tuned up with a downloaded tuned to 899, so top of S1. It was entertaining beating out super cars with a fricking 4x4 on the street.
I was going to buy that ‘70s F-150 stadium truck, but free is free.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoegcKpVOAA

The Pro 2 truck owns. Best Extreme Offroad vehicle in the game by far, especially once you convert it to AWD and boost the hell out of it :allears:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Have been playing a lot more GT Sport than Forza 7 this year. Party because my wheelstand has the new PS4 Thrustmaster on it and my Fanatec is playing up (and switching wheels is a pain in the arse), but mostly because it’s just more fun and the graphics look better to these middle-aged eyes.

Unfortunately that means I also haven’t been playing Project Cars 2 because my copy for that is for the Xbox.

If anyone else wants to race in GT, my gamer tag is “drjonboyg”

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
For those of you with a racing wheel and 2 pedal setup, do you left foot brake?

If so, do you have any shin pain? I've been getting that with my rig because I end up hovering my left foot over the brake so much.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

For those of you with a racing wheel and 2 pedal setup, do you left foot brake?

No(t unless it's in a situation I'd left foot brake in real life, which is extremely rare and one of those "if you have to ask" things).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I left foot brake while racing if I’m driving a car without a clutch pedal. Formula cars, GT3, prototype cars, Rally cars (except old ones)

The leg strain you’re talking about isn’t exclusive to left foot braking though, it’s also present if you’re using your left foot for the clutch pedal. If you’ve got a clutch pedal your left foot is going to be floating over it for the whole race anyway because you’re going to be changing gear tons of times per race (unless you’re oval racing on one of the tracks where once you get up to top gear you stay there)

It’s just a problem of positioning your chair. Your chair should be a lot lower but that doesn’t work if your monitor is up higher like on a desk. A playseat type rig with either monitor mounts or a VR headset would make a world of difference by having your seat and pedals matched into a proper position.

• Locked thread