Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I have a son that's two and a half years old, and he likes to "play computer games with dad" ie sit in my lap while I play computer games and telling me what I should do. He seems to like open-world first- or third person games, where there's big landscapes and lot of stuff to look at - Skyrim, PUBG, World of Tanks, stuff like that. It's all fine and dandy until the game gets "scary", ie the enemy starts shooting back or there's too much going on on the screen at once.

So, my question is, are there any games that would be like a "pacifist Skyrim", ie a big, beautiful world filled with stuff but little or no actual combat? My steam library is mostly filled with games where people are horribly murdered in first person or abstract large-scale 4x-games, neither that are really fitting for a kid that age. I'll mention that he was also bored with Dear Esther, probably because it was too linear and nothing really happens in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

If you're specifically looking to avoid cartoony games then I can't think of much that fits your criteria. Watch Dogs 2 has its share of violent content but you can do a lot of dicking around in the open world without picking a fight. Most of the missions will also allow you to avoid combat and it is pretty fun to try to complete a mission using nothing but remote control gadgets while your actual player character steers clear of hostile areas. Enemies will shoot at your RC gadgets if they spot them though.

Assassin's Creed Origins has a special "tour mode" releasing in February that takes out all of the pesky assassinating and just has you run around Egypt looking at things with some educational bits popping up. There won't be any quests or objectives though so I don't know how much fun that would be for you.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Well the old 90s edutainment adventure games on steam could probably help you in having something a small kid could play on their own without you having to do everything like Freddi Fish or anything from the Humongious catalogue. If you don't exactly want to touch the minecraft, any really good harvest moon like such as Stardew Valley could let them plant and take care of animals without ever having to go into the caves to fight monsters. I'm not sure if they're into puzzles so there's not much else I can see that's on steam at the moment. Maybe Zoombinis.

If you have a PS4, there is Flower and Journey where they can just wander and explore. Hohokum is a puzzle game, but its really colorful and whimsical in what you do. And if you have a 3ds or a phone there is Animal Crossing for a game that's just about doing things and being friendly.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
maybe its too obvious, but minecraft?

there is also that exploration game on steam called yonder or something like that. My two year old loved that.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 1, 2018

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My boy likes Subnautica and also that open world Simpsons game, Hit and Run. There is also stuff like Lego City Undercover which is cool.
I'm thinking of fun, colourful games we play together - Mario on Wii U was great for this, and now Odyssey is too

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Just make him play sonic 3 and knuckles, my man.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
I always thought adventure games would be great for this. That is at least my own plan for introducing my daughter to gaming proper; titles like Machinarium where you don't really have to know 'words' to understand what is going on at first, and then graduating to things like Grim Fandango or Discworld Noir etc to develop language skills. Most of these also have very little violence, or keep it contained enough to be easily avoided, but when more complex gameplay is sought, there is always Psychonauts.

Not sure what new games fit this archetype though since my own recent forays into gaming have been mostly survival/build games, but as others have mentioned you can probably never go wrong with Minecraft and I hear the Lego games are almost universally good, colourful and fun.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The Lego games are all pretty good for kids. My kids still love Minecraft, too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
My understanding is there's a relatively recently released game on Steam, Play with Gilbert, that would be perfect for this, and is pretty much designed for it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

I always thought adventure games would be great for this. That is at least my own plan for introducing my daughter to gaming proper; titles like Machinarium where you don't really have to know 'words' to understand what is going on at first,

Lilly Looking Through is a good one for this sort of thing. (Not necessarily a great game, but it seems to be designed exactly for this.)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
First person but without combat and not a walking simulator is a tall order.

Does Planet Coaster have a first person "walk the park mode" or anything? I bet a kid would like seeing Planet Coaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004
Yonder: the cloud catcher chronicles is on steam, my 4 year old liked it. It a 3rd person open world game that's has (I think) no fighting.

It has light building and trading parts but that's not needed, it's a fun world just to run around it.

• Locked thread