Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Problem description:
Currently, my desktop computer freezes fairly quickly after boot, which requires me to hold the power down to turn off the machine, and then usually it will get stuck (black screen/no obvious activity) on the next boot, so I'd have to power it off again, and then the next boot will complete fine (after I select my options in the Windows "you had trouble recently, do you want to restore a backup or boot into safe mode or something?" screen).

In testing, it seems these freezes can be semi-reliably caused immediately by removing/adding USB devices during use, but they happen even if that's not done.

Attempted fixes:
Early on, I tried updating my graphics driver. That appeared to fix it for a while, but I think that was a coincidence due to my not stressing the USB ports as much around the same time. More recently, I tried different USB ports (I think I have three pairs) and minimizing their use (e.g. just a keyboard and the wifi adapter, or just the keyboard and mouse), but it seems like it still freezes even under those conditions now. (disclaimer: I have not been 100% systematic, so maybe things would have worked if I only used one of the three pairs)

Recent changes:
A couple months ago, I had intermittent freezes (once a week?), and then I updated my graphics driver and stopped using my old USB hub simultaneously, which fixed it for a while.

Then I got a new USB hub and better USB cables and started running 3D games again all around the same time, and it froze a couple times in one day, including once as I unplugged the extra power from the USB hub as a test.

I disconnected the USB hub entirely and it worked fine for a whole day (while running a game that made significant use of the graphics card, whose temperature has stayed low always), so I thought it was fixed. But the next day, it decided it was not okay anymore and freezes within 15 min of successful boot, safe mode or no.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

System specs: I built this in Aug 2013 except for the dedicated graphics card I added in Aug 2017.
Processor: "Intel Core i5-4570 Haswell Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1150 84W"
Motherborad: "ASRock B85M-ITX LGA1150/ Intel B85/ DDR3/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ Mini-ITX"
Graphics card: "ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Dual-fan OC Edition VR Ready Dual HDMI DP 1.4"
Memory: "CORSAIR XMS 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)"
Power Supply: "Seasonic 360W 80PLUS Gold ATX12V Power Supply SSR-360GP"
Hard Drive: "SanDisk Extreme SSD 480 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch"
Other relevant hardware: A wide variety of USB devices: two different USB hubs, a wireless USB mouse, a wired USB keyboard, a wired USB wifi adapter, ...

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

--

Should I buy a new motherboard? Go the extra mile to use a non-USB keyboard and a wireless card to see if simply avoiding USB use altogether stops it from freezing? Take it to a shop where someone can see if it's a power-supply issue or a motherboard issue or some other kind of issue? etc. Thanks for any suggestions/help you can provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The easiest first step would be to try using onboard GPU temporarily and see if the issues continue.

It's possible the PSU is too old/underpowered for that GPU and is beginning to fail.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Zogo posted:

The easiest first step would be to try using onboard GPU temporarily and see if the issues continue.

It's possible the PSU is too old/underpowered for that GPU and is beginning to fail.

Thanks for the idea. Fingers crossed, but it seems to be doing fine without the GPU, so replacing the PSU may be all that's needed, which is a relief. I'll give it a day to see if it continues to run okay.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Just to confirm, a new, higher-wattage PSU works fine with the GPU, and may even have improved my performance in GPU-intensive stuff. Thanks again!

• Locked thread