Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

judge reinhold posted:

I've finally felt this frustration at the ripe old age of 70 with Sonic Forces. Another aspect I think is wild is that Sega seems to rush 100% of the Sonic games they commission. There's a lot of cut content and evidence of a rushed development in even Sonic Mania, a 2D beepy-boopy platformer.

yeah sega can't wait until a game is finished for some goddamn reason

this was an issue even back in the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

yeah sega can't wait until a game is finished for some goddamn reason

this was an issue even back in the 90s

The only series that works with Sega's weird development shenanigans is Yakuza. It gives those games a unique, janky charm that I unironically love

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I tried the first Yakuza on an emulator, but couldn't get past that loving rail shooter section. I was enjoying it until that terrible boss fight. Apparently it's just as bad in the remake as well.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I tried the first Yakuza on an emulator, but couldn't get past that loving rail shooter section. I was enjoying it until that terrible boss fight. Apparently it's just as bad in the remake as well.

I don't remember that section

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

I don't remember that section

When leaving the restaurant there is a large fight on the highway back, where your leaning out of a car and have to shoot ALL THE MEN, then a truck pulls up with a boss on top and you have to kill him too. It's garbage.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

When leaving the restaurant there is a large fight on the highway back, where your leaning out of a car and have to shoot ALL THE MEN, then a truck pulls up with a boss on top and you have to kill him too. It's garbage.

I have zero recollection of that, yeah. I remember getting drugged in an alley though

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bricoleur posted:

Knuckles wasn't even in Unleashed, was he? I would say Sega was so terrified of filling Sonic games with other characters that they reeled it back too much, so that's why there's only Tails, a bit of Amy, and motherfucking Chip.

1. gently caress you Chip is my friend and we're going to enjoy all the food
2. Knuckles and Shadow were both planned for Unleashed, It's likely they were planned for Empire City which is why that stage doesn't seem to have a purpose in Unleashed. But the reasoning is pretty much as said because people can't level like... real critiques and instead just say whatever dumb thing comes to mind, we get Sega stripping almost everything out.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

I think Unleashed was pushed for a Wii release, too. But they had to cut content for that like Empire City. The Wii version just doesn't have that level. So it might have been even worse if people realized you had a to play certain versions of the game to have access to all the characters.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Both versions of Unleashed are pretty nice! It's a shame about the PS2/Wii version's night stages though

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

It's unique and out of place, but I never thought of it as being hard. Weird.

Maybe my opinion will change when I replay it in the near future.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The controls are terrible and it takes too long. I died so many times there and got frustrated. May give it another go in the future, but not right now.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

That part is easy, Kiryu has the ability to stop time and shove five hamburgers into his face to refill his health. Abuse that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kurui Reiten posted:

That part is easy, Kiryu has the ability to stop time and shove five hamburgers into his face to refill his health. Abuse that.

you sound like me we should get together and buy inventory items in beat 'em ups together sometime

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
You spent a decent amount of time crapping on the original Sonic the Hedgehog, and as a fan of that game it would be bad if I didn't say something to defend it.

I love playing 3, but 2 never clicked with me for some reason. I have a strange fondness for the original game. There's some kind of charm to it that I'm not sure how to identify. Maybe it has something to due with its simplicity, or just that this was the game that launched the series in the first place. I don't mind the slower zones like Marble and Scrap Brain. I love platformers so having levels that are more dedicated to that aspect is fine with me. The nice thing about it is if you play the game repeatedly and start to learn the level layouts you can take advantage of Sonic's speed in certain parts. Like those blocks you have to ride in Marble zone, if you know where to get an invincibility monitor you can just run through some of those sections. Or even without it you can still run and jump your way over if you know how. I guess I'm looking at it in a "glass half full" kind of way. But yes the game is not without it's flaws. Those areas in Spring Yard where you have to wait for the blocks to move are stupid, and Labyrinth Zone can go to hell. This was the first game and Sonic Team hadn't nailed the formula yet, so yes it stumbles sometimes.

Watching you play 06, I'm seeing some parallels to how I feel about the original game. I mentioned Pokecapn's old let's play earlier, and that was back when no one knew much about how to play this game. He ended up having to brute force his way through. But you know what's going on in these levels. You know which boost pads to avoid, which enemies to fight, shortcuts to take, and how to handle the mach speed sections. You can breeze through with an S rank, and actually get some enjoyment out of the experience. The original game isn't too different in that regard.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

the key difference here is that the original Sonic the Hedgehog did not give me a rank for doing goodest

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

the key difference here is that the original Sonic the Hedgehog did not give me a rank for doing goodest

No it gave you a high score. I'm also not a gigantic fan of the first Sonic the Hedgehog, but it was also The First Sonic The Hedgehog. Sonic 06 isn't just not the first game, plenty of other games had been done in its style. Which goes all the way back to Sega's desire to please too many masters and reinvent the wheel.

EDIT: And that isn't to say 'Don't innovate' I'm actually against the idea of Sonic having "A style" and only releasing games of that style. while fun, that's also boring, and more should be done to fine tune it. But it doesn't help that sonic fans are insatiable little bastards. Unleashed was complained about for the Werehog because "I would have just taken a game of the day stages." And Colours and Generations were that, but they were complained about for being too short... which was why they'd invented the Werehog to begin with.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 22, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Onmi posted:

No it gave you a high score. I'm also not a gigantic fan of the first Sonic the Hedgehog, but it was also The First Sonic The Hedgehog. Sonic 06 isn't just not the first game, plenty of other games had been done in its style. Which goes all the way back to Sega's desire to please too many masters and reinvent the wheel.

EDIT: And that isn't to say 'Don't innovate' I'm actually against the idea of Sonic having "A style" and only releasing games of that style. while fun, that's also boring, and more should be done to fine tune it. But it doesn't help that sonic fans are insatiable little bastards. Unleashed was complained about for the Werehog because "I would have just taken a game of the day stages." And Colours and Generations were that, but they were complained about for being too short... which was why they'd invented the Werehog to begin with.

The high score isn't nearly as nuanced or comprehensive as the ranking system

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
This LP hasn't delivered, but it's one step closer to my dream of a comprehensive informative all emblem S-rank run of Sonic 2006.

Followed by my nightmare of a comprehensive informative all library sequence and full completion run of Shadow the Hedgehog.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

This LP hasn't delivered, but it's one step closer to my dream of a comprehensive informative all emblem S-rank run of Sonic 2006.

Followed by my nightmare of a comprehensive informative all library sequence and full completion run of Shadow the Hedgehog.

Do I have the "speed" run for you https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/5drmbb/extremely_segmented_wr_shadow_the_hedgehog_100/

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Kurui Reiten posted:

There is no inventory button. You have to do the whole thing on one health bar. I just tried it again.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Bah, speedruns and glitches and forced crashes. I want to watch someone come up with commentary over the 315th run of the first level.

And the 316th.

And the 317th...

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I kind of like Shadow The Hedghog. It tries so hard to be serious, but it fails so badly that it's hilarious instead. The "kill all enemies" objectives can go screw themselves, though. Who thought it was a good idea to give the first level two of those, and make you play it every time you want to start a new loop?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I unironically enjoy Shadow The Hedgehog's story, and think removing or improving the voice acting would probably go a long way toward making its themes more appreciable

That being said, I hate the gameplay

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Why? I'm not dissing you for enjoying it, I just can't understand why the franchise needed Grimdark the Goth-hog.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Why? I'm not dissing you for enjoying it, I just can't understand why the franchise needed Grimdark the Goth-hog.

I guess I can see what they were going for - Shadow's entire thing is "It doesn't matter what others want you to do, your destiny is in your hands, no one elses."

There is a reason his main theme in the game is called "I am All of Me" - he isn't a soldier, or a science experiment, or a weapon. All he really is as far as he cares, is the late Maria's sort-of-brother (Maybe Half-Uncle? The creation of her grandfather anyway), everything else can go to hell. The military want him dead, Black Doom wants to control him, Sonic just wants to hang out, but none of that matters - all that matters is what Shadow chooses to do, and which literal path he takes in his life. Does he get vindictive and petty and go with Black Doom to get his revenge? That's an option he can take. Does he try to atone for the sins of Sonic Adventure 2? That's also something he can do, but it all comes down to what Shadow wants to do, no one else. He was made to be controlled, but he has taken control of his life back.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

There is no inventory button. You have to do the whole thing on one health bar. I just tried it again.

Sorry, I meant Kiwami. I forgot you were on the original. Though I distinctly remember pausing and shoving various foodstuffs into Kiryu's face while in that section in Kiwami, so I dunno. Maybe I'm remembering wrong? Either way I didn't find it difficult.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BioEnchanted posted:

I guess I can see what they were going for - Shadow's entire thing is "It doesn't matter what others want you to do, your destiny is in your hands, no one elses."

There is a reason his main theme in the game is called "I am All of Me" - he isn't a soldier, or a science experiment, or a weapon. All he really is as far as he cares, is the late Maria's sort-of-brother (Maybe Half-Uncle? The creation of her grandfather anyway), everything else can go to hell. The military want him dead, Black Doom wants to control him, Sonic just wants to hang out, but none of that matters - all that matters is what Shadow chooses to do, and which literal path he takes in his life. Does he get vindictive and petty and go with Black Doom to get his revenge? That's an option he can take. Does he try to atone for the sins of Sonic Adventure 2? That's also something he can do, but it all comes down to what Shadow wants to do, no one else. He was made to be controlled, but he has taken control of his life back.

There was also the whole theme of being an amnesiac chasing after the shadows of his past to find answers for his life in the present. Every time he goes down a different path, he finds a different aspect of his past and a subsequent different answer. It isn't until the True End he realizes none of his pasts really matter anymore, and the best thing he can do is just leave it all lie and forge his own future with the choices he has now. And the theme for that end is naturally Never Turn Back. Kinda like Planescape: Torment, only much more badly executed.

And small credit to the writers, his past is indeed never brought up again in the games made after Shadow. They just focus on whatever he's doing in that game now, even if it's just a quick cameo.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 23, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kerning Chameleon and BioEnchanted both said everything I wanted to, yes

It's a really good story, regardless of its superficial cartoony exterior

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

I really liked Shadow as a little kid because he stayed tough even though a lot of bad stuff had happened to him and yeah he was surly and angry but he wasn't weepy and he could move on. Apparently Shadow was really popular? Popular enough for Sega to keep using him to the point of giving him his own game!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Honestly there are a lot of infamous games that could have been saved by better control schemes, not just Sonic - Ace Lightning has interesting, distinctive level design, and if the controls weren't hot garbage it could have worked.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

BioEnchanted posted:

Honestly there are a lot of infamous games that could have been saved by better control schemes, not just Sonic - Ace Lightning has interesting, distinctive level design, and if the controls weren't hot garbage it could have worked.

There’s gotta be a resource somewhere that drills down into the problem of the adventure style sonic camera, view axis, and control sensitivity.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, control sensitivity was the worst thing about Shadow the Hedgehog. It felt janky even by Sonic Adventure standards.

That said, I'm with GAS too--I dig that game's story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The scene where he verbally says goodbye to his old self is something I remember very strongly.

• Locked thread