Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
this seems within topic. post amusing stories here about the tangenital presence of the olympics in your life

probably my favorite olympic moment was in 2010 when shaun white dropped into the halfpipe wearing skinny leather pants instead of big baggy snow pants and all the ski bums in the town i was living in got fuckin pissed

ranting about “hipster skinny jean bullshit” it was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i watched syd score the golden goal in a bar with a lot of my best friends, and then we went out on the streets and partied for like three hours in the middle of the road. the olympics fuckin own.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Nothing will ever top Australia winning its first winter gold because everybody else fell down in speed skating

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Hand Knit posted:

Nothing will ever top Australia winning its first winter gold because everybody else fell down in speed skating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fFnSRKUBFU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Hand Knit posted:

Dang, that was good.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

amazing

I kinda want to watch curling but not enough to figure out where or when it's on. :shrug:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I mean you know they're a thing to watch which is cool but on the other hand the big thing in the winter is figure skating and that's painful to watch.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I hear that when the olympics go on ther is a WHOOOOOOLE lotta fuckin going on in the olympic village its basically like they should rename it gently caress village or horny town or something so that is pretty cool right there and a good reason to care about the olympics

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Nooner posted:

I hear that when the olympics go on ther is a WHOOOOOOLE lotta fuckin going on in the olympic village its basically like they should rename it gently caress village or horny town or something so that is pretty cool right there and a good reason to care about the olympics

e: I suppose I should :nws: this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhKuqGyFqh8

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Plucky little Belgium will sweep it this year, we've got a really good snowboarder

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Go Finland, win some medals!
- an American

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I remember Nadia Comeneci winning the perfect score of 10 while watching it on our giant wooden console TV and I knew that's what I was going to be, an Olympic gymnast. [lol]

I also remember oogling the guys doing the rings. I'm ten and holding my breath whenever they do the iron cross.

Years later the love of my life, a roofer, did something like that move at a party before we hooked up and when I saw him do it my mind flashed back to those guys on the rings and I stared so obviously one of his friends laughed at me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I feel like most of the rampant sex happens in the summer olympics. Winter Olympics are the red headed step child.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

what's the sport with the least clothing? like snow volleyball or something.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Why isn’t football an Olympic sport? Seems dumb.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Speaking of pants, Henrik Harlaut must have the baggiest outfit in all sports. It looks like a wizard's winter cape.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Ola posted:

Speaking of pants, Henrik Harlaut must have the baggiest outfit in all sports. It looks like a wizard's winter cape.

yeah that’s pretty standard for Cool Ski Bros the last 10-15 years or so, its why they flipped out over sean white wearing pants that fit

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know
Nothing will top the Australian winning gold, but whatever the hell happened here comes close. It's not often someone can say they could do better than a professional and probably be correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sojVIA624GA

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I love watching snowboarding because those guys and girls have personalities and actual careers and the X Games and sponsorships and are there because they want to be there, not because they've been waking up at 4am to go practice since they were 6 years old and have nothing else in their life. Snowboarders are the only ones who seem to truly still enjoy their sport and have a kickass time out there.

I will never forget the Sochi olympics had a giant nesting doll statue in the middle of two snowboard jumps and one competitor bounced off its head and from then on THAT was the goal. Everyone else abandoned whatever strategy they had and hitting the doll was the new sport. Some slid across the top, some slapped it with their board on the way past, a few did flips and tried to hit it with their hands as they flew over it upside-down.
The announcers were like "Well... I guess we're doing this now."
It was joyful in a way the olympics never are.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

This isn't accurate at all!

Not the loving part. The sochi dorms were awful if I recall correctly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Scudworth posted:

I love watching snowboarding because those guys and girls have personalities and actual careers and the X Games and sponsorships and are there because they want to be there, not because they've been waking up at 4am to go practice since they were 6 years old and have nothing else in their life. Snowboarders are the only ones who seem to truly still enjoy their sport and have a kickass time out there.

I will never forget the Sochi olympics had a giant nesting doll statue in the middle of two snowboard jumps and one competitor bounced off its head and from then on THAT was the goal. Everyone else abandoned whatever strategy they had and hitting the doll was the new sport. Some slid across the top, some slapped it with their board on the way past, a few did flips and tried to hit it with their hands as they flew over it upside-down.
The announcers were like "Well... I guess we're doing this now."
It was joyful in a way the olympics never are.

That Sochi doll is a good example of the great spirit in the freestyle sports, but I disagree that others don't enjoy their sport or haven't got anything else in their lives. The US XC ski team is an example to behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VraVelzlAL0

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yeah that’s pretty standard for Cool Ski Bros the last 10-15 years or so, its why they flipped out over sean white wearing pants that fit

I thought ski people were supposed to be squares as opposed to the cool snowboard people, what is this

But I guess it's true that this dude with his dreadlocks and oversized pants is trying way too hard

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hate basically everything about winter sports - the people, the fashion, the culture at large, the bro-ism, everything just loving sucks

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

blugu64 posted:

Why isn’t football an Olympic sport? Seems dumb.

Yeah soccer is in the Summer Games. Or did you mean HandEgg?

oliwan posted:

I hate basically everything about winter sports - the people, the fashion, the culture at large, the bro-ism, everything just loving sucks
I disagree. I wish normal fashion were half as interesting and colorful as ski/snowboard gear instead of women in black dresses and men in black suits. I think the bro-ism of snowboarding is overrepresented in the media because the people who are super athletic are obviously the ones who end up in the Olympics and X-Games, but I've been snowboarding for twenty years and do it almost exclusively with nerds who just also like snowboarding.

davebo fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 9, 2018

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

oliwan posted:

Yeah neat, you should make a thread about it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

I thought ski people were supposed to be squares as opposed to the cool snowboard people, what is this

But I guess it's true that this dude with his dreadlocks and oversized pants is trying way too hard

20 years ago that was definitely true but once the first generation came up with basically every major resort allowing snowboarding the cultural divide between the two largely dissolved.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scudworth posted:

Yeah neat, you should make a thread about it.

I especially hate figure skating, you can join me in that thread!

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Watching the teams march in and picking which German-surnamed South American athletes are clearly the grandchildren of Nazi war criminals does it for me. And that loving Irishman representing Puerto Rico.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I liked watching Kristi Yamaguchi's run in figure skating because she pulled off all her moves with such ease and precision. It was like watching a robot on the rink.

I also remember Apollo Ohno and the vitriol South Koreans had for him when he interfered with a South Korean speed skater and medalled to boot. I live for that bitterness.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Short track is a shitshow and I love it

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I'm in it for the butts.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Szyznyk posted:

Watching the teams march in and picking which German-surnamed South American athletes are clearly the grandchildren of Nazi war criminals does it for me.

You realize they didn't pick random destinations when fleeing right

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

it will never not be funny when people realize white latin americans exist

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

[looking at entire major city full of Germans which I'm sure exists in Southern Brazil somewhere] those Nazis sure multiplied quickly

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

neato burrito posted:

I'm in it for the butts.

theyre really good butts

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Remember when that Cuban guy went mental and kicked a ref?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CecGsG_4yoc

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Hand Knit posted:

He'd targeted it. Steve Bradbury's plan was to hang back and pounce when a couple of his opponents would trip each other up and maybe snag a bronze. And then everyone tripped over, and the rest is history.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

People saying “speed skating” when they mean short track :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Forget the human olympics, I give you: The Marble Olympics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JisvinJaUqU

I stumbled upon this a few months back and have been hooked ever since. There's something hypnotic about watching marbles roll down a track while a smooth-voiced commentator pretends they're top-notch athletes.

• Locked thread