Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Can't really argue their success at putting QBs in the nfl especially under Riley. When Brady left LSU I think that essentially sealed the deal. Maryland probably only made it to his top 3 by being the local school.

If the train of first round QBs continues they will probably end up with a five star every other year. Rattler has only thrown the ball 11 times at the college level and is already top 5 Heisman odds. Assuming he lives up to his potential Caleb Williams will probably take over as a redshirt freshman.

I'm honestly more impressed at Grinch stealing 4 star cornerback Latrell McCutchin from Alabama.

And we're supposedly the leader for probable 2022 #1 QB Quinn Ewers, too.

Yeah, the defensive staff is doing a great job starting to bring in talent. I'm a huge fan of what Grinch is doing and I think Odom and Manning have a lot of potential. And then there's Jamar Cain who came in at the start of the COVID crisis and has recruited like his hair is on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Is this where we all go to laugh at Texas for missing out on a pair of brothers who are in-state recruits (one a 5* OT and the other a 4* C) who are 3rd generation Texas legacies (grandfather and father both played football for UT, mom also went to UT) whose brother is ON THE FOOTBALL TEAM ALREADY?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Pobrecito posted:

Is this where we all go to laugh at Texas for missing out on a pair of brothers who are in-state recruits (one a 5* OT and the other a 4* C) who are 3rd generation Texas legacies (grandfather and father both played football for UT, mom also went to UT) whose brother is ON THE FOOTBALL TEAM ALREADY?

i told my dad that we need to hold off on laughing because it won't be truly funny unless their older brother transfers too

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Gators landed 5* CB Jason Marshall. Rebuilding that Miami pipeline babay

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Going to be tons more tape of Texas high school kids this year

https://twitter.com/uiltexas/status/1293940582054854656

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee just flipped a local kid from Auburn, 3* OT but this dude is 6’8” 360lbs.

That’s a big boy

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The star college football recruit, his parents' unusual decision and a cross-country move

Jake Garcia transferred to a Georgia high school after California shut down football this fall. Garcia plans on enrolling early at USC.

To make a "bona fide move" to be eligible in Georgia his parents divorced. Since he didn't already live in Georgia, Garcia had to have a legit residence in the school zone.

ESPN posted:

Moving to Georgia wasn't a problem for Randy, who retired in 2012 after working for 32 years with the Los Angeles Police Department. Yvonne, who works as an administrative assistant, had to remain in California for her job. For Jake to be eligible for one season at Valdosta High, Randy and Yvonne legally separated to meet the Georgia residency rules. According to court records, Randy and Yvonne dissolved their marriage on Aug. 20. They plan to get back together once Jake's season at Valdosta High ends.

"The requirements [are] a full family move, so that and, obviously, grades and that kind of thing," Randy said. "So at this point, we got a legal separation. We're right down the guidelines as far as being eligible to play."

Did it cross your mind that Rush Propst might be involved in this story?

Rush Propst is involved in this story.

He's not the most insane person in this story.

quote:

"It's once in a lifetime," Randy said. "He's got one senior year. He wants to play, it's important for him. It was a no-brainer for us. And, unfortunately, there's a lot of parents that can't [move]. It's really sad. There's a lot of studs in a lot of these states that are just going to sit out. They're not going to play, and it's just not fair."

quote:

Randy and Yvonne said there were initial concerns about Jake playing in Georgia, which has ranked high among states with the most COVID-19 cases. Randy said his father, Raymond Garcia, died at age 93 on July 10 after contracting COVID-19, and two other relatives tested positive for the virus but didn't have many symptoms.

"There's always a concern," Randy said. "Yes, I lost my father. He was 93 years old. He was in good enough health to probably live another couple of years, three years, I don't know. But yes, he caught the [coronavirus], and he passed away.

"I'm not going to get caught up in all the political stuff that's going on, and we're going to live life. That's the way it is. And do it with caution. We'll be at the game, and I'm hoping everybody has a mask on."

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

If you moved 2,000 and miles and have gotten a legal separation from your wife to skirt your new state's eligibility rules for establishing a bona fide residence, you might not want to brag about it to ESPN.

Jake Garcia, the player involved in that piece, has been ruled ineligible by the high school association.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I didn't read up much on this but why did they have to get a divorce? Could his dad not have just moved for personal reasons?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

dphi posted:

I didn't read up much on this but why did they have to get a divorce? Could his dad not have just moved for personal reasons?

Because of a ton of Atlanta-area recruiting issues involving address manipulation, the league's laid out what it considers to be a legitimate move. Some of the options for proof is that a) the student moves with his/her entire parental unit and b) your must have or be in the process of selling/vacating your former home.

If it was just Dad and son and no marital split, it would not be the entire parental unit. Really, they might not have had to do that, but that's the specific by-law they bragged about skirting.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

5-star freshman RB Demarkcus Bowman will be transferring from Clemson to Florida to be closer to his family:

https://twitter.com/JosephAHastings/status/1312436637452824578?s=20

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Godzilla07 posted:

5-star freshman RB Demarkcus Bowman will be transferring from Clemson to Florida to be closer to his family:

https://twitter.com/JosephAHastings/status/1312436637452824578?s=20

Like and subscribe

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
3-star cornerback Jordan Oladokun de-committed from Iowa, citing racism as his reasoning.

And yet, Kirk Ferentz still draws a very large paycheck from the state of Iowa. I suppose that means the Iowa fan base would rather lose and be racist than win with a new coach. Unfortunate.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's the first recruit who has cited it as a reason not to go to Iowa. I thought it might become a thing when the story first got going but shockingly they didn't really lose any current players to transfer or see any black kids decommit as a result until now (and I think Oladokun, who has now decommited twice, may have actually recommitted the first time after players first started speaking out on Twitter). If it becomes a regular thing then maybe it'd be an issue but Kirk might be too entrenched either way. School is going to have a new president soon but the regents love him so probably doesn't matter much.

At this point best case is that he is only around for a couple more years at most and that this whole thing was enough to scuttle the possibility that Brian gets the job next.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 19, 2020

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

He's the first recruit who has cited it as a reason not to go to Iowa. I thought it might become a thing when the story first got going but shockingly they didn't really lose any current players to transfer or see any black kids decommit as a result until now (and I think Oladokun, who has now decommited twice, may have actually recommitted the first time after players first started speaking out on Twitter). If it becomes a regular thing then maybe it'd be an issue but Kirk might be too entrenched either way. School is going to have a new president soon but the regents love him so probably doesn't matter much.

At this point best case is that he is only around for a couple more years at most and that this whole thing was enough to scuttle the possibility that Brian gets the job next.

I wonder if the lawsuit had anything to do with the decomitment.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

I wonder if the lawsuit had anything to do with the decomitment.

I assume so yeah. Nothing new came out of it but it did bring the story back after it had pretty much petered out after the investigation concluded and it became clear Doyle getting fired was the only big change that was going to happen. Covid continuing and the season getting pushed back kind of saved the school because it took a bunch of attention away from the story.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Another nail in the coffin for Tom Herman

https://twitter.com/Hayesfawcett3/status/1321635803186008070

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Going to Ohio State with Caleb Burton

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
If Ewers actually flips to OSU, there's a chance that the pandemic sets Texas back an additional 2-3 years at this rate. Herman's not developing guys and just did a double coordinator swap before the year which is never a good sign, and they might not have the budget to replace him this year or an obvious hire to make (stop saying Urban, there are like 2 jobs i think he'll take at this point in ND or USC, he's not going somewhere public again given his propensity for...character issues) which means the chance of getting him back in a honeymoon period is that much harder, since you're talking about potentially playing another season after this with Herman and who knows what that roster looks like by 2022 if he can't get guys excited. Depth chart for either school is kind of hilarious though:

Texas circa 2022:
Hudson Card (blue chip arrived in 2020)
Ja'Quinden Jackson (blue chip arrived in 2020)
Charles Wright (low 3* in 2021)
Convert Roschon Johnson back?
Casey Thompson (arrived in 2018)

Ohio State circa 2022
Jack Miller (arrived in 2020)
CJ Stroud (arrived in 2020, assuming neither he nor Miller has transferred in this time)
Kyle McCord (arrived in 2021)

Ohio State is looking at either a RS FR/True Freshman QB in 2021 guaranteed for the season before Ewers ever steps on campus, but so's Texas based on the fact that I would think one of their 2020 guys will end up being the best option by then? He's pretty much guaranteed to sit at least a year or two unless he's like Lawrence levels of good. It's a deeply weird situation, but I won't pretend Ewers at OSU wouldn't make me laugh at Herman every single dropback.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hudson Card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
This isn't a big deal for blue bloods, but Eli Drinkwitz is crushing every expectation Mizzou fans had for him. They just flipped a 4 star WR from East St. Louis who had initially committed to Arizona St.

https://twitter.com/Mitchell4D/status/1337435597485568000

Sorry Herm