Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
So there's this porchcat that has been coming around the last few weeks. It's dead of winter here in the northeast, so my wife bought some cans of cat food for him and we've been giving him a meal outside when he comes by. Except now he's coming in the house and having his dinner and sometimes hanging out to warm up. That's OK, but I see a clear pattern here of escalating cat visits. Both in frequency and duration. This needs to come to an end for a multitude of reasons.

I've got two large dogs that I keep baby gated in the other room while porchcat eats and warms up, but the bottom line is that porchcat can't stay here.

I'm wildly allergic to cats (think daily Benadryl and an albuterol inhaler if he covers my place in dander) and if I pet him I have to wash my hands immediately, and even then I still get hives.

Plus I don't know his medical history -- he's not fixed and I don't know what (if anything) he could transmit to my dogs.

I was looking into no-kill shelters, but my wife thinks he's better off living as an outdoor cat. And apparently, no-kill shelters are a lie and they all euthanize the cats after so long. I think it's only a matter of time until he gets hit by a car or taken down by a predator. There are bears around here.

I can't in good conscience just ignore him, he's not a dick.

Halp PI. What do?

[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Firstly - you already hosed up by feeding it and that is no-no unless your intent is for it to stick around. Its going to stay around and move in so you either need to haul it off to a shelter, shove it back outside and stop feeding it or deal with the fact you just adopted a cat unofficially. Cats know how to take care of themselves and if you stop feeding it and giving it shelter it will most likely move onto the next house until it finds another free meal. Getting hit by a car is more likely than any predator killing it.

My cat is less than a year old and we finally had to let him outside (to do cat stuff I guess) - but a few nights he didn't come home as usual and come to find out one of our idiot neighbors thought it was a good idea to feed him (hes got collar and license/tags). I was livid with them because that was why my cat was not coming home, it was being fed kitty treats and decided that was a better meal than what was offered at home. I had to yell at them not to feed my cat and other neighborhood pets so they would actually return to their homes.

Your act of kindness is actually working against you. But regardless what you decide, you should capture it and take it to the shelter and make sure its spayed/neutered and chances are it's micro chipped, so go have them scan the cat.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 9, 2018

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Slayerjerman posted:

Firstly - you already hosed up by feeding it and that is no-no unless your intent is for it to stick around. Its going to stay around and move in so you either need to haul it off to a shelter, shove it back outside and stop feeding it or deal with the fact you just adopted a cat unofficially. Cats know how to take care of themselves and if you stop feeding it and giving it shelter it will most likely move onto the next house until it finds another free meal. Getting hit by a car is more likely than any predator killing it.

OK, so my bad -- sure I'll accept that.

Slayerjerman posted:

My cat is less than a year old and we finally had to let him outside (to do cat stuff I guess)

Why would you do this? I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm curious as to why its OK for cats to roam freely outside? Seems awfully dangerous to me.

Slayerjerman posted:

chances are it's micro chipped, so go have them scan the cat.

Duh. I didn't think about that. I could probably have my vet scan him for a microchip. That's a great idea. Thanks!

Slayerjerman posted:

a few nights he didn't come home as usual and come to find out one of our idiot neighbors thought it was a good idea to feed him (hes got collar and license/tags). I was livid with them because that was why my cat was not coming home, it was being fed kitty treats and decided that was a better meal than what was offered at home. I had to yell at them not to feed my cat and other neighborhood pets so they would actually return to their homes.

Ok, but in my defense, he doesn't have a collar or tags. And if your cat would rather eat cheap cans of Target cat food, than what he gets at home -- maybe you should feed your cat better?

Maybe lovely Target cat food is like McDonalds to a kid or something. Terrible for them, but tastes amazing?

I don't know. I'm so bad with cats.

:(

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
That looks like an expensive cat that would be adopted quickly if given to a local no kill shelter.

snowdoge
Jul 2, 2009

Kharnifex posted:

That looks like an expensive cat that would be adopted quickly if given to a local no kill shelter.

This is true, I would adopt this guy in a heartbeat if he was in my area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
nvm

• Locked thread