Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Paging Coolguye to the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
horf - sorry, i've had a really hectic couple of days. can you just move me to my doctor destination as specified and i'll get the speeding question done as you move forward? if you intend to give me another question then do so, i imagine i'll be able to meld the two of them together. i'd rather not compromise my habit of telling a bizarre story of a few hundred words just because i haven't had time to think about how to make speeding rad recently.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Coolguye posted:

horf - sorry, i've had a really hectic couple of days. can you just move me to my doctor destination as specified

...somehow I missed that you made that choice. :downs: I'll put an update up in a bit; I have to get to an eye exam. (Because clearly I need one.)

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

FredMSloniker posted:

...somehow I missed that you made that choice. :downs: I'll put an update up in a bit; I have to get to an eye exam. (Because clearly I need one.)

You're going to have the raddest eye exam ever, mark my words.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I gotta say watching this being played is so weird considering the version I played growing up.

I'm trying to remember but the way the occupations worked for my version was you only had one salary for each job and if you decided to go to college you had to hope you got a good spin to get a good job (I believe Lawyer was the best with $100k and Teacher was the worst with $30k). If you decided to just be a career person you just had a general job with either $40k or $45k, so in theory you were making out better than someone who landed on Teacher.

They also didn't have House Insurance, it was Fire Insurance instead. Also am I mistaken or is there no Life Insurance in this version?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Aces High posted:

I gotta say watching this being played is so weird considering the version I played growing up.

I'm trying to remember but the way the occupations worked for my version was you only had one salary for each job and if you decided to go to college you had to hope you got a good spin to get a good job (I believe Lawyer was the best with $100k and Teacher was the worst with $30k). If you decided to just be a career person you just had a general job with either $40k or $45k, so in theory you were making out better than someone who landed on Teacher.

They also didn't have House Insurance, it was Fire Insurance instead. Also am I mistaken or is there no Life Insurance in this version?

Oh, I think you're right! I remember that each career had its own salary! And... wait, was there life insurance? I don't remember any payday squares either, I think you got paid on every spin, maybe?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

my version still had Pay Day! squares, but you didn't stop on them or maybe you did on the first but not any after. I only remember 2 squares that forced you to stop: getting married and the end of the game.

Life Insurance was the most expensive insurance (cost something like $20k when Auto was $2500 and Fire/House was $5k) but was usually a good choice because at the end of the game it comes to term and you got another $100k or maybe it was $125k.

Other things I am trying to recall from a game I haven't played in about 10 years:
You didn't buy a house, at least not in the way newer versions have you you buy homes. I think it was just assumed that you had a home after getting a career because it's the 60s or the 70s so everyone has a single family home that cost $10k and the mortgage ain't no thing.

All players started with money but if you went to college you lost half of it for tuition, it was still possible to go into debt before graduation but usually this just meant you had a tough choice to make for buying the various insurances, since I seem to recall that you couldn't buy insurance (specifically life insurance) with loaned money.

If this thread is still around in a couple months when I am back at my parent's house I'm gonna have to see if they still have it and take some pictures for comparison

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Aces High posted:

If this thread is still around in a couple months when I am back at my parent's house I'm gonna have to see if they still have it and take some pictures for comparison
Probably won't be a problem, right? :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Dinictus posted:

Probably won't be a problem, right? :unsmith:

Ow guilt.

Look, I do intend to continue this. Just... gimme a day or two, okay? :sweatdrop:

• Locked thread