Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

In the house I rent, there's a dude who also rents the basement from the landlord. Because he's a broke-rear end student, I decided to give him the wifi password so he can do his studies. About a year ago, I got a few copyright notices from my ISP...I asked him about it and he confessed that yes, he was torrenting and that he would stop. I'm not quite convinced, though. I haven't received any more copyright notices but the wireless network slows to a crawl whenever he's home. That should be sufficient enough, but I want to be sure before I change the password and get into an inevitable argument.

So I'd like to see if there's a decent way to take a look at the network's traffic and see if there's anything suspicious. I find that the resource monitor that comes with Win10 to be kind of flaky - it seems to show high network traffic even if no one else is home and my smartphone's wifi is turned off. I did my best to :google: it, but a lot of the results seem to be geared towards sys admins, even though I specified "home network."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Depending on your router there may be some monitoring options built-in.

Otherwise, https://www.wireshark.org/ might be able to capture all local wireless traffic depending on what OS/card/drivers you're using.

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought
Elaborate the setup of your network. How are you monitoring it?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The setup is very basic...I have a cable modem connected to my PC. This goes in to a Linksys E2500 router. I haven't really done any kind of monitoring other than through the Resource Monitor that comes with Win7/10.

I hadn't considered wireshark though, thank you for the suggestion.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Why spy on him? It's your service that you pay for, loving change the password and tell him to get his own service because its being abused and too slow for your own use when he's home. I don't see why you need to be spying on him at all since he already owned up to it previously. Seems like an extremely dickhead, passive-aggressive thing to do. Its obvious he's still torrenting or he's streaming and/or watching while gaming, either way, its heavy traffic and that's not your jam.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 18, 2018

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought

Seventh Arrow posted:

The setup is very basic...I have a cable modem connected to my PC. This goes in to a Linksys E2500 router. I haven't really done any kind of monitoring other than through the Resource Monitor that comes with Win7/10.

I hadn't considered wireshark though, thank you for the suggestion.

So it is like this..? [Router] <---> [Cable modem] <---> [PC]
Basically your PC is connecting directly to the modem and not your router. Is that right?
That is not a typical setup. You should be connecting your PC to the router, but this is an entirely different issue which I won't be going into.

With that kind of setup Windows Resource Monitor can monitor only traffic coming in and out of your PC. If you want to monitor traffic coming in and out of your housemate's computers, you can enable traffic logging on your router. Make sure stateful packet inspection (SPI) is on in firewall setting. I do not have a Linksys E2500, so I cannot give you a breakdown of where to go and what to click. Or use Wireshark and monitor the RF channel that your router is on.

After reading the manual of E2500, I do not think the router has the ability to throttle traffic coming from a specific IP or MAC address. So even if you found out that your housemate is consuming all of the bandwidth, you would not be able to limit the bandwidth that he can use. You can ask him nicely to stop using up all the bandwidth - which I do not think will work. Besides blocking his access to the network, you can buy a firewall - under his expense - and install it as a gateway to throttle the traffic of all of his computing devices. Ask him if he would agree to that. Otherwise you can just change the wifi password and be done with it. If you go the firewall route, you will need to learn on how to set it up correctly, just a heads up.

Pill Clinton fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 18, 2018

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thanks for the reply! I will look into traffic logging for this router. Basically I'm not going to police his internetting or whatever; I just want to make absolutely sure that the bandwidth issues are because of his activities. If so, then I'm just going to change the wifi password and he'll be on his own as far as internet is concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's not really gonna tell you if he's using it or not, but you could try to set up QoS and stick all his stuff on low priority.
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=137079

That way he should be able to just use as much internet as he wants until your stuff starts using it and he gets what's left over.

• Locked thread