Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

It's Senior year at Independence High, and the school year is just crawling through September. Homecoming is in about a month, and there aren't any holidays until November. But, none of that is important right now, because...

Kyle Kenton and Caroline Marind are getting married this Saturday!

It's all anyone can talk about at school! Both of them are some of the most popular people in school, and the idea of the quarterback actually marrying the head cheerleader has pushed what would be a big event into the ONLY event at the school this week. Girls are talking about dresses, guys are talking about getting laid at the reception, and teachers are making a futile effort to actually teach something this week.

Both the Kentons and the Marinds are... not thrilled with the idea, but thanks to quirk of law in Dougal, Georgia, the happy couple can get married without parental consent at the age of 17. But, that just makes it an even bigger deal to the rest of the school. Most teenagers can only dream of "rebelling" against their folks that hard. Of course, you might be one of the few students with other things on your mind.

After all, you're a monster.

------------------

This is a Monsterhearts 2.0 play by post game about some high schoolers having a big wedding in a small town. Most of you know the drill by now -- youre a teenage monster. And not just because youre probably a terrible person. All the core MH2 skins are available, as well as the Serpentine. I will likely run applications for about a week, ending on Sunday, February 25th, and I am looking for no more than five players.

This game may contain highly sensitive content, such as bigotry, emotional/physical abuse and other issues that might affect a teenager in a small American town. If youre uncomfortable at any point, please speak up, and well do what we can to make you feel comfortable. Your wellbeing is more important to me than stupid elfgames.

You can contact me through PM or in the Swampthings discord

In addition to a brief backstory and character sheet, please RSVP with the following information:

Bride or groom? Or are you planning on gatecrashing?
What gift are you going to get?
Do you think the wedding is a good idea?
What are you doing in the opening credits of the TV show?
Optional: A good thread name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Omar Harris, the Infernal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KywHkPQWes

I tried to be a good Christian you know. Went to church every Sunday, tried to obey the rules set out, prayed to God. But He never really answered. Never heard anything from Him. Never got anything. I was just some nobody at school, you know? Didn't have anything, didn't stand out, didn't get invited to the good parties. Not great. And I wanted God to change that - I thought that being a good boy would get me what I deserved. But it didn't. It took someone else for that to happen.

You know.

The other guy.

When I heard him talk to me, I almost thought I was going crazy. I just knew it wasn't God, the voice...it's a little hard to explain. But the voice somehow let me know who it was on the other line. "Hey there kiddo", he said to me. As if he were a relative dropping in for a visit instead of the Devil. "I know what you need. Let's talk." And we did. I guess in the end I never was a good Christian, huh? It didn't take much convincing. After all, I never got the Big Guy above coming to me and actually trying to win my favor. Never got Him changing my life, giving me some powers and letting me do what I want. Not for free, but he never pretended that would be the case. And now I am more popular, I stand out, I can get people talking to me and caring about what I think. And he's told me I can have more. Why not?

Hail Satan, I guess.

quote:

I'm the groom's best man. Kyle and I are best friends - have been since before I stopped going to church. He definitely wants me to go back, but he doesn't quite understand why I left in the first place. Not like I'm going to tell him the truth anyway.

quote:

I asked Satan for something that would be useful to Kyle and Caroline. And maybe also be the best gift given to them. He said, "Don't worry about it. It'll show up when it's needed."

quote:

Well...I mean, if Kyle wants to do it I'll support him. And if it doesn't work out, that's not unusual nowadays right? Kyle and Caroline will just split up like a bunch of other high school couples.

quote:

Omar is closing his eyes in what looks like prayer, but dark energies surround him and a deep and unnerving voice laughs in the background.

quote:

Look: Spoiled, calculating eyes

Origin: Bartered soul

Stats

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 2

Moves:

Soul Debt

Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Dark Power: Satan

Under Pressure

If someone has 3 or more Strings on you, add 1 to your rolls to carry out their bidding.

Bargains:

The Power Flows Through You

You can give the Dark Power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll.

Strings Attached

You can ask the Dark Power for something that you really, really want. The MC will attach a price to the thing you want, and hint at an undesired twist in its nature. If you pay the price, youll get what youre after.

Sex Move

When you have sex, the Dark Power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Darkest Self

You find yourself shivering, needy, and alone. The Dark Power will make some daunting, open-ended demands. Every demand fulfilled brings you closer to feeling whole again, and removes one of the Dark Powers Strings on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the Dark Power is out of Strings, or you make a bargain with an even more dangerous entity.

Your Backstory

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 24, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Fiona Seolh, the Selkie

Omigosh, omigosh! Isn't this place just the absolute greatest?! You've got all this food and all these shiny things and the people and... and... Oh man! It's just everything I've ever wanted. I mean, we don't have a lot of that stuff in the Deep. Not that my dad would even let me try it even if we did. He got so grumpy and sad after what happened to Mom and it's like, yeah, I get it. I'm sad about it too! But that doesn't mean you can make me hide in the Deep forever! I'm not a nursing pup any more! I'm almost an adult! I want to swim all the currents and catch my own fish and go see what all the fuss is up top!

Oh. Um! Yeah, about that. I'm not from around here. And, you know what? I'm not even human! Just... um, don't tell anyone, okay? It's going to be so hard to do all of this fun human stuff if everyone thinks I'm a weirdo! Like this, uh, cheerleady thing! I don't know why everyone dresses up all fancy with handpoofs and does shakes and things but everyone seems to like it! And Caroline even let me enlist in her battalion. I think that's the term. Conscripted me for her... armada? Something like that. You humans have so many funny words. It's a wonder you can keep track of all them.

Sooo... yep, life is great. Or, uh, should be great. There's just this one teeny thing ruining it for me. My pelt. It's the one thing I have from home, the thing that makes me... me. And someone took it! Who would even do that? It's not like I just left it lying around... I think...

...Did I? Um...

Anyways! I just need to get it back, okay? Then everything will be just perfect!

quote:

Neither, silly! I'm not getting married. That's Kyle and Caroline! And what's a gatecrashing? Is that some sort of human tradition?

Oh!

I'm going to the wedding! The cheer squad are the brides... thingies. Brideprice? Wait, no, that's not it. Bridesmaids! There are these foofy, beautiful dresses and some walking and then some sort of dancy thing. Everyone's really, really excited about it! Except about the dresses for some reason. I think they're really nice, though!

quote:

Everyone keeps talking about these coffee maker things, but that's a silly idea. Everyone knows that when two people love each other and mate for life, you greet that union with a gift of fish! You know, to sustain their love? With food? That's what I'm going to do! I found this really cool lake not too far from where the wedding's going to happen and there are these beautiful fish in there. Real monsters! I bet if I wrap up a good thirty-pounder real good, they're just going to be so happy when they open their mategifts!

quote:

Sure! They seem like they really love each other and, um, from what Caroline has said to some of the other girls they are really good at the mating part of things. Isn't this all about making pups? It seems like they're well on their way!

quote:

Fiona is happily participating in a cheerleading routine, the climax of which is the cheerleaders tossing her up and off-screen. The camera seamlessly transitions to the next shot, her in her natural seal form diving into a mirror-like surface of waters. As she fades into the depths, ripples seem to cut between her human and seal forms. She reaches out for something, but before it becomes clear...

It cuts to the next scene.

quote:

[MH2.0] Another Wonderful Day in the 30666!

quote:

Name: Fiona Seolh
Look: Mussed
Eyes: Glistening
Origin: Curious

Stats:
Hot +2
Cold -1
Volatile -1
Dark +1

Moves:
 Outer Skin
Wear your pelt to look like a seal, breathe underwater, and swim incredibly fast. While wearing it, you can choose to return to The Deep Kingdom. If you do its for good, so make a new character.

 Keep Away
People can steal your pelt but cant destroy it. When you pursue a task the current holder asked of you, add 1 to rolls.
If the holder doesnt return your pelt after you complete the task, gain a String on them, and add 1 to rolls against them until they give you a new task.

 Catch of the Day
Whenever you dont understand whats going on or what someone means, and it gets you into trouble or leads you to make unwise choices, mark experience.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, it counts as submerging yourself in water. Since all oceans tell you their secrets, gain a String on someone else theyve had sex with.

Your Backstory:
You watched someone swimming. Gain a String on them.

Someone stole your pelt, and theyve figured out how important it is to you. They said theyll give it back if you do something for them. Each gain a String on one another.

Darkest Self:
People have mistreated you and made you an outcast here. Its time to show them how it feels to be lost at sea, to be apart from the things you have loved, to have parts of your self stolen from you. So you will flood the Earth. You will destroy what they cherish. And you will take their pelts. You escape your Darkest Self when this place reminds you of home, or when you recognize what you came here for.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 19, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Nevermind.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 23, 2018

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I believe I'll be apping a Ghost.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Jess Howard

"That'll be $3.99 please" I said with the cheerful forced smile that management insisted we use when dealing with customers. "Yes I have heard about the wedding," You know I wish the customers would stop asking me that I think the whole town has heard about the wedding and they all have an opinion on it. I just remember the two of them coming in here ordering a coffee, She'd order the same Caffe Latte every time while he was the adventurous one and would always order something new. Then the two of them would go sit in that corner booth right there and talk for hours and hours I always thought it was rather cute but I wasn't expecting the big announcement of the wedding. Still I'm glad I got an invite because I'm sure that They are going to be there and well if the two of them can get married maybe I can work up the courage to ask Them out. Of course they won't say no because they'll be as overcome with the emotions of the occasion as I am.

quote:

Bridal party, definitely. I mean Caroline and I were old friends back in grade school. Sure we've kind of drifted apart since but that's inevitable I suppose. I mean she's the gorgeous girl from real old money who made the cheerleading squad and I'm well the poor white trash who didn't. I mean we still talk a little but we're not like close friends anymore so I wasn't really expecting an invite to be a bridesmaid but it would have been nice to be considered instead all those spots are going to her new "friends" on the cheerleading squad. Not that I'm bitter or anything far from it.

quote:

I was going to get them a coffee maker but it seems like half the school has had the same idea. Hey how about a toaster? Everyone likes toast right? and you can always use more kitchen appliances so it would be great. Plus it's kind of cheap and well I'm a little short on cash right now. Baristaing doesn't pay all that well and I'm trying to save for college.

quote:

Of course! it's so romantic! Real Romeo and Juliet stuff they're willing to abandon their entire families if that what it takes to be together. How can you ignore a love as pure and blinding as that. And you never know if I get really lucky it might not be the only wedding this year...

quote:

Jess is standing in the coffee shop staring at the happy couple and then they step to one side only to reveal she was actually staring at the person behind them. She bends down to do a heart shape in the froth of the coffee and turns to give it to the person in question only to find one of her co-workers beats her too it and she throws the cup on the floor in disgust.

The Mortal posted:

Name: Jessica Howard
Look: Quiet
Eyes: Darting Eyes
Origin: Your Barista

Stats:

Hot +2
Cold -1
Volatile +1
Dark -1

Moves:

Sympathy is My Weapon: Every time you forgive someone for hurting you, and excuse their base nature, gain a String on them.

Excuses Are My Armour: When you ignore some blatant problem with your Lover or how they treat you, mark experience

Sex Move:

When you have sex with someone, it awakens something sinister within. The next time you take your eyes off them, they become their Darkest Self.

Your Backstory:

Declare your backstory last. Choose one person to be your Lover. Give them three Strings on you. Take one String on them.

Darkest Self:

Nobody understands you. Nobody even tries. You do so much for the people you love, and they walk all over you. Enough is enough! Betray them. Show them what its like to be uncared for. Reveal their monstrosity and yours. Only seeing the pain that youre causing your Lover will let you escape your Darkest Self.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 20, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

If youre accepting any amount of experience (i have none) with monsterhearts/pbta games im game.

Will find the playbook and be back in a bit

Michael Sullivan, Werewolf

Everyone hates this town.
Deep down. They want it burned, broken, forgotten. But they wont get themselves to admit it, much less do anything about it.
They cant be trusted with anything, if theyre willing to look past what they really want for some kind of fake comfort then they dont deserve my trust. Everytime, I try to get them into action, do something with themselves, then eventually we stop talking and fists start flying and I find myself spending a few nights in the holding cell at the station.
They dont even have the balls to send me to juvie, afraid their perfect little town will be seen as anything but a quiet suburb in the middle of loving nowhere. Like it isnt built on top of a mound of poo poo and petty little secrets.
You see it in the way they look at each other, the fangs and claws they hide behind every hello and good morning, the way they mutter things under their breath, the things they do at night, when they think no one is looking. I feel the sting of their words, the heat of their gaze as they look at me, the poison they spread about me.

They all want me to change.

Be like them.

Complacent.

I wont change for anyone.

Capfalcon posted:

With the groom. Was there when they announced it, And was the loudest guy cheering. Guess that earned me a place.

quote:

What do you get a couple that has everything they want already? Ill think of something...maybe.

quote:

Oh gods yes. Why should they compromise for who they are and what they want?

quote:

Sitting on a couch, surrounded by people, presumably friends, but the people keep changing.

quote:

One Tree Hell

quote:

Name: Michael Sullivan
Look: Rugged
Eyes: Cunning Eyes
Origin: Bitten

Stats

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 2, Dark -1

Moves:

 Unstable
When you become your Darkest Self, mark experience.

 Bare Your Fangs
While you are your Darkest Self, you may use Volatile instead of Cold to shut someone down or hold steady.

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, you establish a deep spiritual connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection (by having sex with someone else) add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Your Backstory

You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

You've spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Gain two Strings on them.

Darkest Self

You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 21, 2018

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I may do a Queen

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kylie Connor
The Ghost

You probably don't even realize this, but I was actually a cheerleader like two years ago, yeah? Pom poms, football games, all that poo poo. Made out with like half the team at one time or another. Anyway a few years back me and one of the guys were hooking up, things got a little hot, and we totally snuck into the locker room one weekend and hosed in there. Whatever. He said he'd drive me home, and since we live in the same shithole cul-de-sac we didn't think anyone would care. And they wouldn't have, except he's dumb and decided he'd totally impress me by driving real fast. Some rear end in a top hat didn't look where he was going and POW head-on collision, car went flipping. Miracle we both walked out of that one. Well, I say that. He was fine--no, really, he was fine. As for me?

Well, I died. Yeah. Decided to gently caress off with that cheerleading poo poo, seems dumb now. I guess I'm a goth now? That's who I hang out with anyway. They've got better music. Better makeup too. Parents are worried about me, think I might get hosed around by new friends or something, but I don't care. Can't hurt any worse than being dead, y'know?

Oh yeah, and that dude I hosed? The one who crashed? Yeah, guess who that was. Kyle Kenton.

quote:

Caroline didn't join the squad until I was off it, I barely even know her. Kyle's not gonna invite some girl he hosed and killed. So yeah, I'm gatecrashing.

quote:

I was thinking, like, dirt or something. Y'know, 'cuz Kyle made me take a dirt nap? I don't know, I've still got time. Creativity's not my thing.

quote:

Not really, but I also don't care. I bet Caroline's pregnant already. That'd be loving rich.

quote:

I bet the producers would just show me dying in the car crash again and again. They're assholes like that. I'd rather them show me getting drunk at an underground punk show or some poo poo though.

The Ghost posted:

Look: Out of place
Eyes: Hollow
Origin: A tragic accident

Stats
Hot -1
Cold -1
Volatile +1
Dark +2

Moves
Unresolved Trauma - Whenever something brings to mind your death, you choke up and gain the Condition traumatized if you dont have it already. Whenever someone helps you resolve this Condition, you both mark experience.
Projected Blame - While youve got the Condition traumatized, you may act as though others had the Condition at fault for my death.
Creep - When you silently witness someone in one of their most private moments, perhaps sleeping or putting on makeup, gain a String on them.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a question of one another. This can be asked in character or player-to-player. They must answer honestly and directly.

Darkest Self
You become invisible, unnoticeable. No one can see you, feel you, or hear your voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this is your only avenue of communication. You escape your Darkest Self when someone acknowledges your presence, and demonstrates how much they want you around.

Conditions
  • Bad News

Edit:

quote:

It's A Nice Day For A Wight Wedding

quiggy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 15, 2018

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Eve Marind

An Old Dream, Forgotten, but Repeated posted:

Nothing.
Darkness.

Warmth.

A face, dimly seen, hardly remembered. Wrinkled, kindly, lit by a dim red glow. Male? She doesn't know.
A voice, the touch of warm skin, almost burning, against her cold hand, on her icy face.
Sleep now, my daughter. Soon you'll awaken, and your life will begin.
Her eyes close.

Darkness.
Cold.
Nothing.

There was a family. A mother and a father and a daughter, who all loved each other very much. They ate dinners together, they helped her with her homework, they went to church together on the weekend, they cheered her own as she began to involve herself in different activities, gymnastics, dancing, cheerleading. Every year, the father took her to a purity ball, where she swore to be chaste until marriage, and he swore to protect her from men until he gave her to her husband. They had the perfect life. And then, the daughter grew up. She spent more and more time out of the house with her friends after school, rather than with her parents. She began to have an interest in boys. She wore revealing clothing, and starting smoking. Sometimes, she even skipped church on Sundays. Her parents were horrified, but this much they could accept, and still love her. But then she decided to get married. Presumably she kept to her oath of purity, but her parents could never accept her being wed so young, or to who she picked for her husband. Though they still helped her arrange the wedding for appearances sake, they could no longer truly love her. She was no longer their daughter, but a harlot and a sinner.

But what could they do? They had a daughter shaped hole in their life, and they needed someone. Eventually, they filled it. I don't know how they did, or what it took, but they filled it, and had a daughter, a teenage daughter the same age as Caroline, but was not her. They got me. Eve Marind. I do not exist. Two weeks ago, there never was a sister to Caroline. One day short of two weeks ago, there I was. They had a daughter years ago, who had to go live with her grandparents for unspecified medical reasons. But now that their first daughter was getting married, and I was better, I came home. So they have a daughter again, who they can love and cherish and protect from the evils of the world. But their plan failed. I'm not their daughter, I'm no one, I'm not human, I'm nothing. I have no past, so how can I feel attached to them? I have no attachments to anyone, no memories to shape who I am. The world is a mystery, school is a confusing mess, church is ... agony. The minister tells stories of the salvation of humanity, yet I am not human. He has stories, yet none of them apply to me. I confided this to my parents. They didn't agree. They said I was human, sinful as all of us, but saved as long as I remained pure and faithful, loyal to them, obeyed their rules and god's laws. Yet I know they are wrong. The building itself rejects me. I feel ill from the moment I step inside until the moment I leave.

My 'parents' view me as a replacement for their daughter they lost. To them, it as if she vanished, and I appeared, I am her. They often call me Caroline when not in company. My sister hates me. She knows that I am fake, she knows that her parents intend me to replacement. Students at school avoid me. I avoid them. I do not know how to behave, it is easier to be alone. But inside me, where my soul should be, it hurts, as though something was pulling on it, trying to drag me towards people. I do not understand why my own body would try to make me experience the tumult of emotions that accompany people. Why am I here? I know the reason I was created, but it is a bad reason. I do not want this life. If this is what life is to be as a 'good daughter' I can see why Caroline did not want to be one. But what can I do - I know of no other way to live, for I have no past. I am not real. They make sure to keep me fake. If I wasn't forced to be a replacement for Caroline, perhaps I could discover how to be me.

Bride. Though I am confident she wishes I was not to be there. I wish I was not to be there. I do not want this wedding to happen.

Is there any gift I could bring to make her overlook the fact that her parents wish to transfer their love for her to me? I have no idea what a good gift would be in any case. I heard discussion of a coffee maker. Perhaps I will get one of those. Or maybe I will run away and let her remain her parents daughter.

No.

No.

Instead of this wedding, I wish the church would burn down. I wish Kyle would die, or leave her at the alter. If she does not marry, her parents will still love her. They will not need me. They can let me be my own person, and not Caroline. If only I knew how to do that...

I stand in a bare room with a blank look on my face, staring into a mirror. Instead of a reflection, Caroline looks back in her wedding dress. We look nothing alike. She looks back in hatred, I look back in pain. Raising a fist, I smash the mirror, but my half is the one that shatters, the glass shards of my face falling away to reveal the next character in the opening credits.

A good thread name.
For There's To Be A Wedding.

The Hollow posted:

Identity
Name: Eve Marind
Look: disheveled
Eyes: soulless eyes
Origin: a wish granted, by whom?

Hollow Moves
Strange Impressions
When a main character either harms you or helps you heal, you can respond by studying them with wide eyes. If you do, temporarily gain one of their Skin Moves and add it to your character sheet. It disappears once you use it.

A Blank Canvas
When you take an action that embodies one of your Conditions, allowing that Condition to alter your sense of self, cross it off and add 1 to your roll.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, both players secretly write down whether the sex was confusing or soothing for their character. If you reveal the same answer, both characters mark experience.

Darkest Self
Your body is a prison. You dont belong inside of it. You need to put it in harms way, and make it suffer, just like its made you suffer. Theres got to be a way to cut yourself out of it. You need to meet your makers, and hold them accountable for what theyve done to you. To escape your Darkest Self, you must come to see how someone else feels more trapped than you do.

Stats
Hot +1
Cold -1
Volatile -1
Dark +2

Your Backstory
Youve been taking your social cues from someone, and doing so has taught you a lot about them. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Someones seen through your invented past, and realized its all lies. They gain 2 Strings on you.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Zacharia Gadsen

Our family claims descent from Christopher Gadsen. The one behind the snake flag. A little show of our influence at the birth of this country. Hinting at our true selves. The snake beneath the grass, or the skin as it might be. They say half of the plantations in the south were in the hands of our family or allies to our family at one point. They say we influenced politics over many centuries, that we had our fingers in the continental congress, that southern senators voted according to our wishes, and that when the votes turned against us, that we had the influence to tear this nation apart in civil war.

I can't say whether this is true or not, but we've clearly been in decline ever since. If there is any serious influence our family has except waning prestige within this town, mother and father have not made me aware of it. We still live in the old plantation mansion peddling influence and doing... something to earn money. I suppose I will be told later. Or perhaps we're simply slowly exhausting the family fortune trying to recover our once august position. Trying to make alliances with other families, like the Marinds.

I was supposed to court her. To bring her into the family. And I tried. Whatever I learned about southern gallantry, for a large part, I sought to impress her with it. At first, I amused her. Then, I bored her. Finally, I offended her. I failed utterly. My family is old fashioned. It is sometimes hard for us to see what things of humanity are truly a change, and what is simply a fad. We wait for something to be universally accepted before adopting it. Caroline, she's always in tune with humanity, she moves in their rhythm, she speaks in their harmony, and others follow her for it. I envy her, I admire her. I spent enough time watching her that I received a fair amount of worried glances from her friends. No racing heart or butterflies in the stomach have presented themselves though. I haven't experienced it. I am uncertain if I can. I do not wish to discuss it with my parents.

And now she is to be married, and to be married young and unconventional. My parents... took offense. They are not hateful. All humanity is alien to them. But it's been a lot of centuries where they learned from humanity which humans one should court and influence, and which humans one... does not. It sounds like I make apologies. I should not. They are... behind the times. I try my very best not to be, yet I... make miss-steps. I give compliments that are insults, express surprise when it should not be warranted, offer defenses that only condemn me further. And of course, I do love father and mother, and family is important. So I cannot stand for them being insulted. They understand me best, they know what I am, when others would likely seek to destroy me. I cannot turn my back on them.

Yet, the older I get, the more I understand that our house feels like a museum. If I stay to close to my parents, I fear I will become even more out of tune, our of step with humanity than I already am. I need to understand. I need to adapt, I need to get closer. Father and mother likely will disapprove, but this can only benefit our family, can it not?

Bride. By the request of her parents, I strongly suspect. She never expressed hostility, but I do not think she is very fond of me. And I feel that my presence could be constructed as an expression of her parents' disapproval for her match. But I for one am glad to be here. I wish the best for Caroline. To see her in this happy moment, I intrude upon her one final time. After that, I intend to put this matter to rest.

What gift are you going to get

Mother, when I was trying to court her, had a music box commissioned with a cheerleader figure in her likness that would spin around while Ode to Joy played. Our relation never advanced to any stage where it would be proper for me to present such a gift. However, I have requested Daryl, who is very keen on building and painting miniatures, to add a football player figure that resembles Kyle, so that now she dances in harmony with her husband.

I don't know. For all the issues that come along with a marriage of this nature, and the problems that children might face that might otherwise threaten it, at such a young age, and the fact that neither family is fond of it...

Kyle matched her in ways I never could. Made her eyes smile in ways I never could, and he smiles like I'm... not even sure if I can. These are not my real eyes, and these are not my real lips after all. When I saw the pictures on the internet as they announced it, I cannot say I felt any sense of disapproval. Envy perhaps, but not disapproval.

I stand in an old, well kept but clearly old study, respectfully listening to a dressing down by my father who's holding my smartphone. In the background is a Gadsen flag and some old pictures, some of which are civil war era and involve confederate flags.

What's a Good name

Two Houses, equal in dignity

quote:

Identity
Name: Zacharia Gadsen
Look: Sleek
Eyes: Cold Eyes
Origin: From Old Money

Serpentine Moves
Failing Dynasty
In the age of serpents, your family was powerful and prolific. Now, they live in a shadow of their former glory. They want to regain their political clout. Whenever you are convinced to do the bidding of a family member, take 1 Forward to doing it and that family member gains a String on you. Whenever you help your family regain some of their former glory, mark experience.

The New Order
When you learn to meet one of your needs within human society rather than within your family, mark experience. When others help you fit in better with human society, they mark experience.

Sex Move
If your family learns that youve had sex with someone, that person becomes part of your familys Failing Dynasty. If theyre a main character, they add the move to their sheet.

Darkest Self
The human and serpent worlds are too different, and youll never be able to reconcile their demands. The only way out is to choose a side, as decisively and irrevocably as possible.

Watch carefully and quietly for an opportunity, and then strike, regardless of who needs to be hobbled or devoured in the process. Its the only way to make the world simple again, and find your place at last. You escape your Darkest Self when you accept your complicated place in the world, or when you moult

Stats
Hot -1
Cold +2
Volatile +1
Dark -1

Youve been watching someone, trying to learn from them what it means to be human. Gain two Strings on them.

Your family seeks to control your every move, and they will not be denied. The head of your family gains two Strings on you. : Robert Gadsen: My father. A stern and composed figure, and the patriarch of the Gadsen family. He cares for me. I know this. He expects me to call him sir, and I call him that not out of coldness but out of respect. I know this isn't what is normal but we are not normal.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 21, 2018

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Might not be able to play, but got a concept I'm too in love with to drop. Expect an Infernal sometime soon.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Oh this? Just found it in my closet, no big.

Oh, come on, you know me. Everybody in school - everybody in town knows Peyton Lestrade. Stealing the show when we did Wicked last year. Breaking hearts when it's dance time. Causing scandal in that production of As You Like It

That's how Mr. Sullivan got fired, because people around here are so uptight. It wasn't all bad, it got us a writeup in the Journal Constitution. Front page below the fold, 'All-Female Shakespeare Scandalizes Town'. And there I was, planting one on Caroline.

Nobody knew we'd been rehearsing for months.

It was one of those things, we'd really started hanging out over the summer, and one thing lead to another. I don't think either of us was looking for it - I know I wasn't. Still not sure exactly how I feel about it. I mean I'm with Kevin now, but....

...well, theater lets you be somebody you're not. It's why I love it. When I was just an awkward, acned, stuttering little middle schooler, it's what my parents shoved me towards to get some confidence. Don't think they expected they'd create an aspiring starlet.

But they did! Good work, mom and dad! I've been bit by the bug hard. Now I'm president of the drama club, even got a couple local commercials and modeling gigs under my belt. I still need to pin down a scholarship for college - and admission. Not lots of girls from mountain Georgia land at Tisch or Yale. But I've got time before that, I'm only a Junior.

Junior and most popular girl in school! It's amazing what being pretty and talented and on TV a few times would be (even if my CSI:Atlanta role was just 'victim 3'). Lots of people want to be my friend, come to my parties, just hang out. And you know, I like most people, but I have standards. Really, there's just a few people I know I can trust.

There's Kevin, obviously. He's fun...easy fun. Whatever, he's super into me, happy to please, and his dad's the county DA, so you know, good to cover for some of our raging post-show parties.

Grace I've known since middle school, and that's a special bond. She's whip smart and not only edits the school newspaper, but runs the best gossip blog in the school. You wonder how my rep's so clean? :-)

Irene's newer, moved down here for Freshman year. She's my VP in the Drama Club and pretty good to boot. Pastor's daughter, which, ooof. She's almost like a little sister, except she's a month older than I am. You get that kind of bond when you have book it to North Carolina for an "audition" in the middle of the night.

quote:

Groom. Not like Caroline would invite a secret ex. But Kyle and I are buds and he used to date Sandy. I'm not even sure he told Caroline. This will be fun.

quote:

Probably something arty and extravagant. Abstract sculpture they have to keep but don't know what to do with, that seems perfect.

quote:

No.

Maybe.

quote:

A bright morning at the school, zoom in on Peyton and two of her clique, laughing, chatting about something. The scene grows dark, as the camera pans around, showing Peyton's arms around her friends, fingers growing into tendrils to ensnare them.

quote:

The Devil Went Down to a Georgia Wedding

The Queen posted:

Name: Peyton Lestrade
Look: Stunning
Eyes: Calculating eyes
Origin: Most Popular.

Stats:
Hot +2
Cold +1
Volatile -1
Dark -1

Moves:

The Clique
Youre at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. They count as a gang. Choose one of the following strengths for your gang:
theyre talented (in a band or sports team)

And Your Enemies Closer
When someone betrays you gain a String on them.

Sex Move:

When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition one of them. While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

Your Backstory:

Name three side characters who are members of your gang. Gain a String on each.

You find someone threatening. Give them a string on you and take a String on them.

Darkest Self:

Theyve failed you. Again. This whole mess is their fault, and why should you have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy? You need to make an example out of each of them -- a cruel and unwavering example. You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 22, 2018

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Omar Harris, the Infernal:
So, what kind of mark do you have as a result of your deal?
How come you're best friends with the most popular kid in school, but you never went to the "good parties?"
When's the last time you asked Satan to do something for someone other than yourself, and how did it go horribly wrong?

Fiona Seolh, the Selkie:
Who's the person on the team you're taking your cues from when it comes to being a bridesmaid?
What is something you miss about the Deep Kingdoms that is completely absent on the Surface?
How did you overreact the last time you saw someone holding your pelt?

Jess Howard, the Mortal:
So, what's your plan on getting out of this town?
Which co-worker is in the wedding party, and how did they rub your face in it?
Who's in love with you, and why aren't you interested?

Michael Sullivan, the Werewolf:
What's the last thing you did that got you in trouble with the cops?
Which teacher do you actually respect?
What's the change like? How long have you been a werewolf?

Kylie Connor, the Ghost:
So... two years, huh? Does time pass normally for you, or is it more of a blur?
Which goth kid have you hooked up with, and how'd it end? Or is it still... ah... alive?
What always reminds you that you're dead?
Also, the backgrounds are more for PCs, so you can wait for that until the final picks are made. Just FYI.

Eve Marind, the Hollow:
So, who's the only person you look forward to seeing at church?
What hobby do your "parents" force on you? What actually brings you a small measure of peace?
If you had your own life... what would you even do with it?

Zacharia Gadsen, the Serpentine:
What's your favorite thing to do away from the house?
Who else in your family seems to understand humans more than you do, if only ever so slightly?
If your parents asked you, right now, to come up with your best possible plan to return the family to prominence, what would it be?

Peyton Lestrade, the Queen:
When's the last time you didn't get what you wanted, and who kept it from you?
What's something embarrassing about you that you haven't told anyone, even your Clique?
How'd you punish the last person who betrayed you?
Also, to be clear, the second paragraph is supposed to be Caroline, not Courtney, right?
It makes sense as Caroline, but it's late, and I might be missing something.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Capfalcon posted:

Jess Howard, the Mortal:
So, what's your plan on getting out of this town?

College. I don't even really care what I study, Even underwater basket weaving or worse business is better than spending one more day than necessary in this backwards racist hick town. With a few notable exceptions there's no one I'd even miss. I mean have you heard the way they're talking about the wedding? Anywhere else it'd be celebrated you know, high school football star marries his cheerleader sweetheart they make hollywood movies out of that kind of stuff. But here it's all about how he's unsuitable because he's a n- not nice person you can practically hear the strain as they struggle not to say something out and out racist. And god help you if you dare to be different in any way they'll pull you to pieces. Hopefully my special someone agrees with me because if not I'm going to have some very difficult choices to make...

quote:

Which co-worker is in the wedding party, and how did they rub your face in it?

You mean Victoria Jensen? Although calling her a co-worker would be absurdly generous since she never actually does any work when she's here. But I guess when you're the daughter of the guy who owns the franchise you can get away with just turning up when you feel like it and spending all your time flirting with the customers. Don't know why she takes such a dislike to me though, maybe she heard about how Caroline and I used to be friends and decided that made me a target. But ever since the wedding was announced it's been "dad can I have time off to go and get my bridesmaids gown fitted" and "dad can you give me time off to get my hair done" and "Dad I need a payrise so I can get Caroline a proper gift." All the while with a knowing smirk at me while she does it. "Oh i'm sure Jess will cover my shifts, won't you Jess" One of these days I'm going to "accidentally" knock over a pot of coffee that ruins that dress and that hair. One day.

quote:

Who's in love with you, and why aren't you interested?

Oh god don't remind me. He isn't still here is he? Toby McAllister you know the little nerdy kid? Spends all his free time playing D&D with the other nerds or at least he used to. See I made the mistake of smiling at something he said when he was ordering and that was it now he thinks he's in love. With me. Great. At first it was kind of cute the way he'd sit in the coffee shop for hours nursing his cup of coffee and staring at me when he thought I wasn't looking. I mean I know what it's like to be interested in someone when they're not giving any sign that they're interested in you so I kind of sympathize. But then things started getting a little too creepy when I got the flowers and the chocolates delivered with the message "love from your secret admirer" for a brief moment I had hoped it was from them but when i realised who it was really from you can imagine my reaction. Then he showed up at the end of my shift offering to walk me home. How he'd found out my shifts I don't know but I don't like it. He had a hard time taking no for an answer. And while I haven't got any actual proof someone was going through our bins when I got home the other day someone with very asthmatic breathing. Yeah that's more than a bit too creepy that's downright stalking. Nerds like that are not my type. If nothing else I prefer people who bathe more than once a week and have at least a passing familiarity with the concept of deodorant. I'm not sure how much more clear I can be to tell him to leave me alone. Some people you need to hit with a clue by four.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Capfalcon posted:

Zacharia Gadsen, the Serpentine:
What's your favorite thing to do away from the house?

Us being what we are, sport activities are somewhat avoided. Anything that might involve unexpected medical scrutiny is quite dangerous. I regularly make sure to watch and support our team of course, but I have to admit this is more social duties than my favorite thing. I actually think football is pretty dull. My duties as President of the student body are similarly undertaken as part of paving a way towards a future career, rather than a passion project.

Yet once every two weeks on a Saturday, I meet up with Toby, Daryl and Steve to play Dungeons and Dragons at Steve's place. Ideally the group would be larger, but we are in rural Georgia. It is somewhat liberating playing a paladin whose loyalties and desires are so straightforward and simple, and dealing with a simple world of heroes and monsters. And it is also flattering that the three of them, not exactly the social elite at school, treat me with some deference. It helps that my association means they are treated somewhat better by their peers, particularly if I am nearby.

quote:

Who else in your family seems to understand humans more than you do, if only ever so slightly?[/b]

Cousin Leopold has, acquired a certain amount of understanding. He's recently graduated college and returned home to support the family, and get their support. As many of us we are expected to culture political connections, and try to reverse our family's decline. Leopold has been very successful, and I've seen him speak with some of his fellows. They seem to consider him a person worthy of respect and his words count for a lot. He chats and jokes and laughs with them like he's one of them.

What concerns me is that the best way to describe these 'political connections' he has is 'alt right'. I'm sure only half of what the mainstream media says is true, but only half is disturbing enough. And well, some of the things his friends said about blacks would be offensive to my parents, and they are hardly PC. He is family of course, and we look after each other, but I'm worried that he's falling in with a rather bad crowd. Also, I never want to see that stupid frog again.

quote:

If your parents asked you, right now, to come up with your best possible plan to return the family to prominence, what would it be?

The way we rose to prominence in this country, if stories are to be believed is to find a nascent new order where we could find a place in and support it, help it to victory. I do not think the circles that are currently in power are eager to return our share to us. We should accept that old alliances are done, and use what influence we have to support a movement that we think we could support to prominence, and one that would allow us to wield power. I suppose Leopold has much of the same idea. However, I don't think his friends are the future and I cannot say I hope they are.

So who to support? For that, I don't really know the answer. But I think we should make sure we're closer to humanity, so that we'll recognize the winning horse when we see it. Even if that means we sometimes end up putting in effort in things that didn't really amount to anything. I mean, our ancestor Gadsen certainly could not have known how things worked out, right? So, they should just... let me be a bit more. I think that would be step one.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Capfalcon posted:

Kylie Connor, the Ghost:
So... two years, huh? Does time pass normally for you, or is it more of a blur?

It passes mostly the same, but I feel like I'm slipping, in a way? Usually a day passes like I remember from life, but sometimes I'll wake up one morning and it's a different day, or a different week, or a different season. I still remember what happened, it just doesn't feel like I actually did it. Like I'm on some sort of ghost autopilot.

quote:

Which goth kid have you hooked up with, and how'd it end? Or is it still... ah... alive?

I haven't had anything serious, but I've messed around with a few people. I think me and Josephine Barlett probably had the longest thing going, but even that was only a few weeks of secret making out and feeling each other up. It didn't even end terribly badly, we just... stopped. Josephine moved on to trying to gently caress cheerleaders again, I thought it was weird to watch a hookup trying to gently caress my old friends, I fooled around with a few guys... I haven't had sex since before the accident though, I'm too afraid someone's gonna hurt me again like Kyle did. I'm not sure I could survive that, emotionally speaking.

quote:

What always reminds you that you're dead?

When I'm really tired, like when I'm going to bed or worn out from a night of drinking or exhausted by my homework, I kind of... forget how to have a body, if that makes sense? I'll drop a pencil and it'll fall through my hand, or I'll float up through my bedsheets. Nobody seems to have noticed it happening to me as far as I know, but then again, no one seems to notice me in general any more.

quote:

Also, the backgrounds are more for PCs, so you can wait for that until the final picks are made. Just FYI.

Sorry about that! Played a bunch of PbtAs before but never Monsterhearts so I might make a few errors here and there :)

quiggy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 24, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Capfalcon posted:

Michael Sullivan, the Werewolf:
What's the last thing you did that got you in trouble with the cops?

You'd think it'd be because of the 9 stitches that Toby had to get but seems hes as much a coward when confronting me as he is when trying to snitch on me. Sounds like he lied and said it was a quad bike accident, like he'd ever actually get on one. I don't even know why he tried to man up all of a sudden and come at me, I do know he wasn't at all ready for what came next.

Oh and I was caught shoplifting booze. Got a little careless there.

quote:

Which teacher do you actually respect?

You'd expect me to say something cliched like 'my dad' but it's Ms. Pohl, the drama TA. Who seems the only one to notice and give a poo poo. She came in after old Lionel 'Whiskey' Lindsey and his wife retired, and god only knows why she left...wherever she came from to come here of all places. She gives students so much free reign to do whatever they want, no matter who they are. Helped a lot of students realize who they are and what they can do, but I'm not sure how long until all of this gets to her though.

quote:

What's the change like? How long have you been a werewolf?

Raw, explosive, liberating. I don't feel like I physically change but the weight of world throws itself off my shoulders and I can just...run forever, and nothing can stop me.
And I've felt this way ever since I was mauled by a stray dog as a kid, I think something switched on in my head when I was laying in the hospital, waiting for friends that never arrived. Gave me time to think. I have the scars running straight up my left hand and arm to show it, too. It never healed properly though, and using it is a bit awkward, feels like someones got clamps and shackles around it when I strain it.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Capfalcon posted:

Peyton Lestrade, the Queen:
When's the last time you didn't get what you wanted, and who kept it from you?

Oh, I wonder what you could be talking about? Could it be Zach loving Gadsen swooping in at the last minute and stealing Student Body President from me? What bullshit was that!

It's really simple, you have get petitions, get them to Mr. Sullivan the civic teacher, then a week of campaigning and elections the next friday. I had it all wired! Some people said Kyle should run but he's too distracted by the wedding. Russel Simton I got made 2nd male lead in the winter musical, so *he* didn't have time.

And then Zach. Grrr. Waltzes in on the last day of petitions and then plows his way to victory. I had signs! I had cookies! I gave speeches! I schmoozed up every clique and faction in the school, even those weird D&D nerds. But nobody wants to vote against a Gadsen.

loving bullshit.

Capfalcon posted:

What's something embarrassing about you that you haven't told anyone, even your Clique?

Freshman year, I still hadn't quite found my groove. Everybody was surprised when this random Freshman got the most valentine's day notes of anybody in school. Secret? I wrote like half of them myself. Isn't that the sadest sad girl thing ever?

Capfalcon posted:

How'd you punish the last person who betrayed you?

I'm shocked you'd put it that way. Please, as if. I'm a goddess of grace, showering the adoring public with my grace. If some people chose to remove themselves from me, that's their loss.

Victoria Jensen certainly learned that. She'd been close with Caroline, and then I was, so it was natural we started hanging out more. We were both 'new money' kids in a town that treats that as dirty, so we bonded over that, and she's got good fashion sense and seemed like a good addition to my circle, maybe the inner circle.

And then she just had to go gank my dress for homecoming. She knew what I was going to wear and literally went out and got one of her own. Who does that? Needless to say, she's on the outs - some really good new recruits bumped her from the varisity track team and we just had *so many* auditions for the winter musical and why no she hasn't been getting invites to any of the good parties, what an unfortunate oversight.

Capfalcon posted:

Also, to be clear, the second paragraph is supposed to be Caroline, not Courtney, right?
It makes sense as Caroline, but it's late, and I might be missing something.

Yup, totally, that was a slip of the finger. Edited.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Capfalcon posted:

So, what kind of mark do you have as a result of your deal?

Thankfully it's not visible, but Satan put an upside down pentagram on my right hand. I wasn't sure about it, but he just said "Don't worry kid, it's not like just about anyone can see it." Which isn't that encouraging, but so far no one has said anything about it to me so...guess it hasn't been a problem? I think it's more a mark on my soul, or the hand of my soul or something like that. I'm not too sure. Also it didn't escape my attention that he put a symbol on my right hand, but when I asked Satan about it he laughed and said "I can't tell you everything Omar, what's the fun in that?"

Capfalcon posted:

How come you're best friends with the most popular kid in school, but you never went to the "good parties?"

Well...oh boy. This is kind of embarrassing. I said I tried to be a good Christian right? That meant no drinking, no drugs, no sex, no fun. It makes things awkward when you have to explain why you aren't going to drink or take something with everyone else. It turns out that being the friend of the most popular guy will prevent people from doing anything about it to your face, but they certainly won't invite you anywhere cool. And even with the hangouts I went to, it turns out that not doing anything fun means you just sit in a corner by yourself for the night. I was the loser friend of the most popular guy in school. It wasn't until I realized my religion wasn't getting me anywhere and joined the other side that I began to actually have a better social life.

Capfalcon posted:

When's the last time you asked Satan to do something for someone other than yourself, and how did it go horribly wrong?

So Celeste Piper has been pretty nice to me. She at least never laughed to my face back before I met Satan and now she agrees I've become better. But she has this boyfriend, Brayden Hanley. You know - the strongest guy on the football team full of strong guys. Or, she had a boyfriend. See, I came across her crying one day and asked what was wrong. She told me that she and Brayden had been arguing and he was being real lovely. She thought he was cheating on her with another member of the cheerleading squad but didn't have any proof. I thought if I gave her proof it would mean she would feel more certain about breaking up with him. So I asked Satan to give me proof. And suddenly I had his cellphone in my hands and he and Linda Watkins had incriminating text messages between the two of them. I went to Celete, pretended like I had found a lost phone and discovered it was Brayden's and saw the messages. So she dumped him real quick.

Except that she told him I was the one who found it and now he's super pissed at me. And he's claiming I stole the phone, somehow hacked it, and faked the messages. He was real insistent that's what happened and so was Linda. Kind of convincingly actually. When I asked Satan what was up, he said "Kiddo, I gave you the proof you wanted. It didn't exist so I made it. You wanted Celete to be happy right? Well now she is." So yeah it turns out he wasn't cheating and now I have two pissed off people thinking I'm making things up to ruin their lives. It's also created some drama within both the team and the squad, since Kyle is sticking up for me and the girls think Linda is a homewrecker. Not like I can tell the truth anyway, so I'll just have to stick to denying that I did anything.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Fiona Seolh, the Selkie:
Who's the person on the team you're taking your cues from when it comes to being a bridesmaid?

Celeste! She's the Mate of Honor and super-duper nice about everything. Even though things got really weird a few days ago with her and Linda, she's been such a good role model! She's so good at all the moves and bounces and spins and she knows just how to word things so I get it! Between you and me, Caroline's been super stressed with everything that's going on. I guess I get that! She's about to mate for life and then just start pumping out pups. That's a big change from these parties everyone likes! But yeah... she's gotten pretty strict on how we're all supposed to be looking and acting and what we're all supposed to be doing when... It kind of reminds me of the Deep, you know?

Anyways, Celeste has been really good at getting me not-yelled-at for wearing the wrong color or walking in the wrong spot or picking the wrong time to tell a funny fish story. I didn't think there was a wrong time for those, but I guess I was wrong!

Capfalcon posted:

What is something you miss about the Deep Kingdoms that is completely absent on the Surface?

Aside from actual good seafood?? Um, yeah, probably not. Hmm... let's see. I don't really know the land words for this, but I guess this is what I miss the most: The sense of togetherness? I mean, I guess it's not totally absent up here, but it's pretty close. Down below... Well, people work for the common good. They do what the Deep needs them to do, what they are capable of doing to better everyone's lives. So... I mean, don't get me wrong! I don't want up here to be like that. It'd make it kind of boring! But... at the same time, seeing all this mean stuff that people do to each other...? It always makes me think of home. And... maybe I'll go back. Eventually.

Capfalcon posted:

How did you overreact the last time you saw someone holding your pelt?

Oh. Oh geez, this story. No mercy, huh? Well, um, it was after practice. We were getting changed in the locker room and I had it in my bag. I mean, you'd think that'd be safe, right? Who even goes in someone's bag?? Well, uh, Lisa did. Maybe she thought it was her bag...? I don't know. Anyways, she was flailing it around and going all, "Oooh! This is so pretty but so gross! Why would you even have something like this, Fiona, are you a weirdo?"

And, I mean, obviously not! I'm just a radically normal seal-girl pretending to be an even more radically normal human-girl. And, um, when someone takes your pelt like that... Wow! There's some pretty strong signals getting sent in the mate-for-life direction, that's all I'm gonna say about that. I'm not ready for that kind of thing! Also, she's not my type?? Oh man, wow, now I'm getting all blushy. Ahem. But you wanted to know what I did?

Really? Well, if you insist. I cried. A lot. Like full on sob-town. Celeste and Caroline made her give it back, but once the tears get started... yeah, they weren't stopping. So there I was, just sobbing in the locker room. Once I got a little bit of composure back and could tell them why I was crying so much by which I mean totally make something up I may have told them that it was my grandma's and she had just passed and I was just feeling a little emotional and of course I wouldn't cry in the middle of the wedding, Caroline, that's a silly place to cry. Something like that, you know?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Capfalcon posted:

Eve Marind, the Hollow:
So, who's the only person you look forward to seeing at church?

Grace. The daughter of the Pastor should be the last person who seems out of place in the church - and I think no one else has noticed. However, I saw it on my first day. I was miserable, rejected by the very walls, and looking for anything to distract myself while I was in there. What I saw, was her. She was sitting next to the pastor's seat, with ... I could not see myself, but even without doing so, I knew ... the exact same posture that I had, hunched, as though trying to shield herself from her isolation, and eyes flitting around the room. Our eyes met, and I could see the pain inside of them. She doesn't belong here, and more than I do. I do not know why, I doubt our circumstances are anything alike, but it is clear she feels none of the relief in religion that the others do, and feels just as rejected and lost inside. I have spent every mass since there looking at her. Our eyes meet often, and we often smile across the room. It makes it ... easier ... to deal with. Knowing someone else is suffering in the same way. How strange.

Capfalcon posted:

What hobby do your "parents" force on you? What actually brings you a small measure of peace?

The first thing they tried was Cheer-leading, obviously, but uh... that didn't work. For one thing, Caroline was not interested in having me on the squad, and even if she wasn't the head cheerleader, and basically able to prevent that by itself, I have no talent for it. At all. While I can do essentially any of the individual gymnastic acts perfectly, I completely lack the rhythm necessary in order to do multiple ones in a row in a pleasing fashion or on the beat of the music, and that tended to lead to many horrible accidents when trying to perform with others. It didn't work out. They gave up on that after a girl almost had to be hospitalized. After that, they seemed to decide the other socially acceptable path for a daughter of theirs was to join the student council. Most of the positions were already filled, but - I think they bribed - a spot opened up for me as Secretary. It is not nearly as bad as Cheerleading, because Caroline is not there.

The only hobby I have found for myself is hiking. Walking in the woods and the mountains is a soothing experience. Out there, there is no one around to force me to be who they think I am, or who they think I should be. The trees and squirrels have no expectations, and I can just walk in nature and deal with no one else. The whisper of the wind and the sounds of birds are more spiritual than the church could ever hope to be. Perhaps this is what the world is supposed to be like. I wish I could live out here alone - but even out there, when I see the town, that tugging inside of me is there. I want ... I don't know what I want. To hike alone, but... maybe to hike with someone?

Capfalcon posted:

If you had your own life... what would you even do with it?

That is a question I can't answer. How can I know what I would like to do with my life, when I do not know what I like because I cannot experience it, due to having someone else's life thrust on me? I suppose spending my life in nature is something I know I would like, to become a forest ranger or something along those lines. But is that truly what I want, or just the only thing I have found that I enjoy? I want to... I don't know, I want to live a different life, I want to try every life there is, until I find one that is mine.

If I had my own life, I would like to live it.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Thanks everyone for you great characters. As usual, this wasn't easy, but I managed to narrow it down to five characters.

Shogeton as Zacharia Gadsen, the Serpentine
Tricky as Fiona Seolh, the Selkie
Heliotrope as Omar Harris, the Infernal
PlatonicSolid as Peyton Lestrade, the Queen
Quiggy as Kylie Connor, the Ghost

Please work on your backgrounds, and fill out this seating chart with your characters and two NPCs.
Do NOT put either of the happy couple on this chart, though.

code:
Door         [Mr. Sullivan]             
[    ]        [    ]        [    ]        [    ]   |
[    ]        [    ]        [    ]        [    ]   |Window

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Backgrounds:

quote:

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Peyton Lestrade is the among the popular students here. I've had to ask her and her friends for favors in the past.

quote:

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Kylie Connor seems weirdly interested in me for some reason. She used to go to church but also quit. I have no idea why she decided to tank her own social life, but I'm not following her back.

code:
[Linda ]        [    ]        [    ]        [    ]   |
[    ]        [    ]        [    ]        [Celeste]   |Window
[    ]        [    ]        [    ]        [Omar]   |

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 2, 2018

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

My backgrounds! If Godfish allows, I may swap around some of my gang members to mesh with other established NPCs.

quote:

Name three side characters who are members of your gang. Gain a String on each.

These would be:
Kevin - Peyton's current boyfriend, loyal, dad's the county DA.
Grace - Bestie forever, edits the school paper, secretly runs school's dishiest gossip blog
Irene - Drama club VP, pastor's daughter.

quote:

You find someone threatening. Give them a string on you and take a String on them.

That Fiona girl must have an angle. I just don't know what it is yet. She's new here, and seems like she's from another planet. Talks about the ocean a lot, so...Maine? Probably Maine, maybe secretly Canadian or something. But everybody in school seems to like her, which is weird, and then she's cutting in on my 'striking redhead' turf. I'm going to have to either crush her or co-opt her, which is super hard when I can't figure her angle. Argh!

code:
[Linda]       [    ]        [Kevin]       [    ]    |
[    ]        [Grace]       [Peyton]      [Celeste] |Window
[    ]        [    ]        [Irene]        [Omar]    |
[    ]        [    ]        [    ]        [    ]    |

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 2, 2018

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

quote:

Youve been watching someone, trying to learn from them what it means to be human. Gain two Strings on them.

Peyton Lestrade is not only a human who handles other humans deftly, but she leads. And since the family wishes to lead, it is good to take my inspiration from other leaders. She has people supporting her, and she uses them to great effect, while keeping them loyal.

I would actually seek to acquaint myself with her more, but my parents dislike her, because of the scandals with the play and such, and I think is still sore about the election. Honestly, there is a lesson for her there. It is better to work with the system than against it. Perhaps in time when the sting of defeat fades, we can have a cordial working relationship. I wouldn't mind having her on the student council.

quote:

Your family seeks to control your every move, and they will not be denied. The head of your family gains two Strings on you.

Robert Gadsen: My father. A stern and composed figure, and the patriarch of the Gadsen family. He cares for me. I know this. He expects me to call him sir, and I call him that not out of coldness but out of respect. I know this isn't what is normal but we are not normal.

code:
[Linda ]        [Zach ]        [Kevin]        [Daryl ]   |
[Toby ]        [Grace]        [Peyton]        [Celeste]   |Window
[    ]        [    ]        [    ]        [Omar]   |
[/quote]

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

quote:

Someone knows that youre dead and how you died. They gain 2 Strings on you.

Zach Gadsden cornered me one time at my locker and made me 'fess up. I don't know how but that loving family seems to know everything about everyone.

quote:

Youve been inside someones bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.

If things had gone differently, Peyton Lestrade and I would've been best friends. I can't really stand those bubbly clique girls any more, but I still want to be part of them, in a way. Or maybe I just want to make out with her? Either way, I spied on her sleeping one time. Totally don't regret it either.

code:
[    ]         [    ]          [    ]        [Omar]   |
[Kylie]      [Josephine]     [Samuel]        [    ]   |
Josephine is the head of the goths, inasmuch as we have one. She's cool, I guess, but seems sad all the time. Not sure why.

Samuel is Josephine's boyfriend, I guess? I don't think they put labels on it. Pretty sure he's actually gay though.

quiggy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

quote:

You watched someone swimming. Gain a String on them.

Omar is really interesting! Did you know he's actually a really good swimmer? Almost as good as me! It's kind of amazing how different he is outside and inside the water. Do you think he's like me? I bet he is! That'd be so cool to have a swimming buddy.

Oh!

How am I supposed to talk to him about it? He's just going to think that I'm creepy for watching him swim. And I'm not! It's just like, I don't know, you know how humans look for people with good muscles? In the Deep, people look for good swimmers! It's totally natural.

quote:

Someone stole your pelt, and theyve figured out how important it is to you. They said theyll give it back if you do something for them. Each gain a String on one another.

Sooooooooo I kind of left my bag at school by accident and Zach found it! I mean, okay, he's our supreme leader or something so I guess he can just take my bag, but what kind of monster taunts someone with their pelt?! He's all "Blah blah blah, I'll give it back if you do my dirty laundry!" Or... something like that, anyways. Dirty... twerk? Also, also also, why does everyone keep making such aggressive mating gestures at me? Am I missing something? Did I misunderstand how you all work again? I'm not ready to have pups!

code:
[    ]         [Elly]          [Fiona]        [Omar]   |
[Kylie]      [Josephine]     [Samuel]        [Victoria]   |
Elly is an orchestra geek and, as it happens, weird enough to take Fiona's own oddities in stride. They get along great.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 1, 2018

• Locked thread