Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ADINSX posted:

Now i copy and paste p-lang code from the internet and don't give a single gently caress. Didn't even need a certification; entirely self taught

I can only imagine the horrors you’re creating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ADINSX posted:

Idk if its still the case but this is a common strategy in microsoft shops. They expect you to get their certifications and of course you have to study for those after hours (and its not exactly exciting, interesting material).

They say its a good deal for you because they pay for the exams. I got out of that world about 10 years ago and never looked back

hahaha what the gently caress

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Pollyanna posted:

hahaha what the gently caress

They (were?) required to have a certain number of employees with certifications to maintain their Microsoft partner status. Microsoft partner status means that people who reach out to Microsoft and say they want work done with their products will be directed to your piddly bullshit contracting shop. Microsoft might sometimes pair one of their employees with the project but their main job is to recommend more expensive microsoft products

Its not a bad business model except for the fact they want you to study after hours and the exam material is insanely boring

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ADINSX posted:

They (were?) required to have a certain number of employees with certifications to maintain their Microsoft partner status. Microsoft partner status means that people who reach out to Microsoft and say they want work done with their products will be directed to your piddly bullshit contracting shop. Microsoft might sometimes pair one of their employees with the project but their main job is to recommend more expensive microsoft products

Its not a bad business model except for the fact they want you to study after hours and the exam material is insanely boring

so its a racket

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pollyanna posted:

so its a racket

yes?

your username is very apropos

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

pram posted:

im like literally shitposting on the internet. u think i asked permission from my boss??

This is your PM. YOur fired. no need to come in tomorrow, or, ever

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:negative:

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
"No we're not going to compensate you for what is an investment in yourself. You can quit your job and apply those newly learnt skills at $nextjob too."

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

ADINSX posted:

salesforce is doing the exact same thing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maximum Leader posted:

salesforce is doing the exact same thing

post your trailblazer level

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
best thing about my job is my boss is 100 percent supportive of any technical education. im basically a machinist with a degree but he will let me do computer programming and math problems on the clock

if someone ever screws up ans puts me in a position of power ill make sure to pay it forward

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
best thing about my job is that at times when I don’t feel like working I find something that interests me and gently caress around for a few hours. I do not keep my boss appraised of my activities. If I find something I like I follow that to a new job.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i work in it training so i can take a shitload of free classes but i've barley taken advantage of it

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

Dongslayer. posted:

best thing about my job is my boss is 100 percent supportive of any technical education. im basically a machinist with a degree but he will let me do computer programming and math problems on the clock

that kind of education support is so extremely valuable, it's a shame how rare it is

also rad is if people can find a friend that wants to learn the same stuff at the same time

i worked through a haskell book with an academic friend once, and sharing our frustrations and understandings made the learning way more fun.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ADINSX posted:

Idk if its still the case but this is a common strategy in microsoft shops. They expect you to get their certifications and of course you have to study for those after hours (and its not exactly exciting, interesting material).

They say its a good deal for you because they pay for the exams. I got out of that world about 10 years ago and never looked back

i would rather change careers before going to work at a managed services provider.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i would rather change careers before going to work at a managed services provider.

It really is insanely depressing and also usually only the only programming work available if you don't live in a big tech hub

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i started doing open courseware assignments at work without permission

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

HoboMan posted:

i started doing open courseware assignments at work without permission

we got a badass over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I pay for my own certs and submit for reimbursement b\c i don't wanna be ~obligated~ they've paid so far as the ones i've done were cheap. i'm gonna hit em with an expensive one and see how that falls

• Locked thread