Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

My wife wants a short vacation and a Thurs-Tues trip in May to Portland, OR has been floated as a way for me to make her happy while ideally not having to deal with a lot of logistics issues (nearby airport does daily direct ~2 hour flight). What can two people in their early 40s do in Portland? I like beer so that should be pretty covered, she likes discount fancy clothes shopping and the beach. We both like the outdoors, or unique cultural stuff, and fancy/different food.

I dunno, I've never been there and have always been kinda curious about it (if they had a basesball team for her I'd be looking at retirement options). Uh... she likes cats a lot. Also if there is a way for her to get to pet either a large feline animal or a sea otter then that would be a big win, although I'm not expecting that.

For a similar trip example, a few years ago we went to Seattle, where I met up with a close friend, did some beer drinking, went to Pikes, the Chihuly museum, did a lot of walking, etc.

Also, how necessary is a rental car? I'm assuming I'll need one, but didn't in Seattle...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I don't know much about discount fancy clothes shopping, but there are plenty of nearby rivers to go swimming in. Coast is about an hour and a half away so you can go out to the ocean if you really want. If you like hiking there's a lot of good options, but you'd definitely need a rental car if you want to get out of the city. Mt. Hood, the Gorge, Mt. St. Helens, the coastal ranges and the coast itself have a lot of good hikes. There is a minor league baseball team here, if you want to go to a ballgame. As far as anything unique... well, I don't know. Right now, the city art museum has a big exhibit on the art of the city's wealthiest inhabitant's son, which to be fair, is pretty good since he bought some of the best talent money can buy. When I was younger and didn't have any kids, I recall the music scene being decent enough... big name bands tend to skip Portland, but there were plenty of interesting shows to go to. Don't really keep in touch with that stuff anymore.

As far as food is concerned, there's good food to be found, for sure. The beer is definitely good. There's a lot of micro-brewing within the city itself and the state. Also legal weed if you like that sort of thing. Much of it grown locally as well.

As far as animals are concerned, the zoo has otters, a tiger, and a bobcat (not in the same pen). You can't pet them unless you want to jump in the enclosure and, in the tiger's case, climb out of the trench.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

sullat posted:

If you like hiking there's a lot of good options, but you'd definitely need a rental car if you want to get out of the city.

Definitely agree here.

For things to do in the city, I'd take a look at some festival calendars and see what events are going on. Depending on when you're going you might be able to hit their St Patty's Day celebrations, for example. When my wife and I went they had a fruit beer festival going on which was awesome. Looks like they have a Portland Dining Month in March too which might be cool to check out. I'm not sure what the local papers are but maybe check out those as well for events listings, but there's probably music, art and drinking going on about every weekend.

For places to see, I'd say the Grotto and Multnomah Falls (there are quite a few waterfalls around Multnomah to hike to, and the drive itself is gorgeous). Wahkeena Falls too. Waterfront Park market and the Saturday Street Fairs are cool. Late May is the Rose Festival and while it's probably pretty early now, the International Rose Test Garden is IMHO a must-see. It'll be a long drive (probably ~6 hours one way) but the Samuel H. Boardman Scenic Area is quite stunning if you want to do a bit of camping for a night (though that might be better for a "northern California/PCH" road trip type deal).

For food: first off check out the food trucks. I think you can go to SW 9th & Alder for lunch and find quite a selection, can't remember if that was weekends only or not though. I'd hit up Bing Mi, Hot Box BBQ and Frying Scotsman as those were the only ones that stood out enough to write down last time I went (especially Bing Mi since it's not something you see very often in the US).
For actual restaurants, Bollywood Theater was probably my overall favorite place (Indian street food). Salt & Straw had delicious ice cream. If you want to overload on Portland twee hipsterness then Sweedeedee for a brunch is a good place. Meat, Cheese, Bread and Bunk Sandwiches were both pretty good. Ox was pretty good. Definitely hit up Pok Pok, and for that matter check out Langbaan and Nong's Khak Man Gai as well. Frank's Noodle House gets recommended as a hand pulled Chinese noodle place but TBH, it's not impressive.
Portland also does some great pizza with I think Al Forno, Sizzle Pie and Apizza Scholls being some of the most commonly recommended.
So basically for Portland food: Asian, brunch, food trucks, pizza.

Portland also has no shortage of coffee places but to be honest my wife and I got a hotel near Jim & Patty's Coffee People and that place was amazing so we just hit that place up every morning. Not only do they have great coffee and a host of different types/flavors of milky coffee drinks (they had one that was sort of like an horchata latte that I still dream of to this day), but they also have little jalapeno and bacon pastries they call "pig newtons" which were delicious. I love that place so I'm not even going to recommend any others (though if you simply google "best coffee Portland" you'll get plenty of lists).

Amergin fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 24, 2018

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Thanks for the ideas, the Rose Garden (and surrounding park?) looks like a winner. I actually live in Sonoma county, CA and have family in Eureka so a 1-way road trip on the 1 isn't an impossible idea, although I should plan for a bit longer trip in that case. We had discussed a similar idea in the past by going up the 5 to Crater Lake and flying back... maybe I hate myself enough to do a giant road loop for a longer vacation.

GexIsLight
Jun 22, 2009
If you like books check out Powells city of books. Easily the largest bookstore I've ever been to, and lots of really obscure titles. And for Multnomah falls, there's a cheap tour bus that leaves like every half hour or so from the city, so you don't even have to drive if you don't want to. See http://columbiagorgeexpress.com

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

GexIsLight posted:

If you like books check out Powells city of books. Easily the largest bookstore I've ever been to, and lots of really obscure titles. And for Multnomah falls, there's a cheap tour bus that leaves like every half hour or so from the city, so you don't even have to drive if you don't want to. See http://columbiagorgeexpress.com

Powell's is a good rec and TBH if you want to just wander around, Hawthorne isn't a bad street to do it. Also the bougie areas around Alder and Jefferson have some shops that I thought were fun to take a break and look around (Alder & Co, Canoe, etc.) (though they are outrageously overpriced).

Portland isn't a city to shove a bunch of stuff into a few days, IMHO. I'd suggest you take it slow and give a day or a couple mornings/afternoons to just wander around, pop into a cafe and chill, pop into stores and chill, etc. But then again that's more my traveling style, YMMV.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
OMSI was pretty cool. It's been a decade or so since I've been, but it was a good day of looking at interesting stuff.

https://omsi.edu/

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The Japanese garden is really good. The zoo isnt bad either if you're into animals

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Seconding Salt & Straw. Best ice cream I've had.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
For shopping visit the Nob Hill area. There's a bunch of weird little boutiques, consignment stores, etc, most of which are in converted residential buildings.

If you like chintzy amusement parks, Oaks Park has a single tiny but fun roller coaster, a giant roller rink with scheduled lessons for stuff like skate dancing, and a mini golf course.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I was there in February and the highlights for me food-wise were Afuri ramen, Nong's Khao Man Gai, Bing Mi, Ava Gene's (I love the chef's cookbook too), and the passion fruit donuts at Blue Star. On the other hand, Han Oak has gotten a lot of good press but I thought it was just flat out bad. Salt and Straw is pretty good but whatever you do, don't get anthing with bee pollen in it.

Tried a few breweries and Cascade was by far my favorite, but I am partial to sours. They had some really interesting stuff.

I don't know if it will still be there when you're there in May, but the Portland Art Museum also had a really cool exhibit about Laika, the animation company that did Coralina, Kubo, and Paranorman.

Agreeing also that Nob Hill was fun to walk around for an afternoon.

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA
The food trucks and vendors in downtown Portland are good. The variety of distilleries and breweries are endless!

For breakfast, I would recommend hitting up The Screen Door restaurant.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

food: whiskey soda lounge, olympia oyster bar, paadee

bars: holman's, lovecraft, goodfoot, pepe le moko

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 6, 2018

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

So the weekend never happened but now we're looking at almost a full week at the end of September. I'm looking at a hotel a block from the Albert Schnietzer Concert Hall and Nordstrom downtown (just two things popping up on google maps). Is there a lot of fun downtown activities for two sorta-quiet nerds in their 40s, and is that a good location or a SF Tenderloin/LA Skid Row-esque hellscape?

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
That's a fine location. Portland is a good city to just aimlessly wander and you'll be within a 15 minute walk from a lot of it, or a 15 minute uber ride from stuff further out.

Seconding The Grotto, Powells, Japanese Garden, and Multonomah Falls. Double check that the falls are open though, some of the trails have been closed due to fires but may be partially open which might be good enough depending on what you want to do. You can take the light rail to the Gateway station to get on the bus mentioned above for cheap and also get a decent view of the city and surrounding country without worrying about driving.
Portland City Grill has an incredible view and their happy hour food prices are fairly cheap.
There's a cathedral with some cool architecture and art near the soccer stadium if you're into that. You could also catch a soccer game.
If you're not anti-gluten doing a taste comparison between Voodoo and Blue Star is fun (Blue Star by a mile--you can't beat blueberry basil bourbon).
The Alberta Arts district is pretty cool to stroll through on the east side. Kennedy School Hotel is nearby and has a nice restaurant and fun events (usually beer themed). If you want to see something that's not downtown.
There's not a bad brewery or coffee shop in the city, hard to go wrong. Deschutes is a little more of a tourist trap with long waits if you prefer to avoid those. I did a different coffee shop every morning and a pint at a different brewery every afternoon and was a nice rhythm.

I don't think there's anything on the level of the Tenderloin, but the old town area seemed to be where the homeless were thickest at night with some crazed shouting. Fine during the day though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Gentrification and ruthless policing have driven the homeless out of downtown. Also, now you can escooter around, across the bridges if you want to sample the microbrews of eastside as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

So we went and had a good time, enough that now I look at my extremely pricey NorCal city and realize how badly they're loving up planning for the future, although if we ever get our giant earthquake maybe that'll help fix it. When I retire in 14 years (CA willing) if the home price ratios of where I live:Portland remain the same then it has shot way up on our list of places to sell and retire to. Anyway, thanks for the recommendations as we did take advantage of the following:

quote:

say the Grotto and Multnomah Falls
The Grotto was interesting, and my wife probably could have spent the rest of the trip in the meditation/view room, which we strangely had to ourselves. The falls region was excellent, even though we didn't get around to Mt Hood - we drove the historic highway, stopped at the crazy overlook (after first seeing it at the bizarrely named Woman's Conference Center), hiked a couple falls, and turned around at Multnomah. Excellent nature times, and would have loved to do boat stuff.

quote:

Powells, Japanese Garden
Also fun, did the rose garden with the Japanese garden. Powells was better than I thought it would be (wasn't expecting used books). 4 months later and my wife hasn't converted part of our front area into a giant gravel raking garden.

quote:

For shopping visit the Nob Hill area.
Turns out this is where we stayed, at a place with a Streetcar stop right in front that gave us free tickets, so we got around a lot just by riding the streetcar. The shopping appeared good. We also went to Hawthorne and Alberta streets for shopping/wandering. This area is in many ways my wife's ideal place to live as she can shop/eat on her own and dump me at the nearby hospital when I get hurt/old.

quote:

food
We used the Eater guide for most of our "targeted" choices when we weren't wandering around. Did Blue Star and Salt & Straw. Best meal was probably Ataula or the food trucks, Canard was also good. Forgot to check this thread but still wound up eating at Bing Mi because it really stood out as different and it was good. I know we shoveled more in but would have to check receipts. Beer was good although I am spoiled where I live, and no I won't try Portland wine. We really liked the cider place on Hawthorne. Your coffee is very good.

On our way out we went to the big farmer's market street fair thing, my wife bought a catnip carrot which the cats have wrecked with drool.

Maybe one day I will post photos but otherwise, thanks again!