Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kale
May 14, 2010

Tampa Bay really has a talent for acquiring defenseman from the Habs that were supposed to end up as core franchise types I've noticed. I still can't quite believe the circumstances that allowed for McDonagh to even end up on the Rags and now eventually Tampa Bay including trading the pick for Scott Gomez who went unsurprisingly and impressively immediately to mediocrity and then by the next season flat out poo poo as soon as he put on the CH. Just like wonderful trades all around in the last decade or so. Get rid of Subban and make Nashville a cup contender for years to come (and where Subban is only 12 points off of his career best with a good 5 weeks to go in the season) so that Shea Weber and his sore feet can play 26 games for them this season, be minus 8 and contribute a whopping points before getting shutdown. I like other gems like Mike Cammalleri who could still score at the time for Rene Bourque who definitely existed and just weird loving signings that are apparently supposed to help but don't at all like Hemsky, Semin and probably someone else I'm forgetting because they just left that little impact.

Bergevin again really did it these last couple off seasons though and it's hard to imagine him doing any worse this summer short of trading Price and Weber for a bag of pucks or something or just letting Pacioretty walk. Like it wasn't a cup contender IMO and anyone that thought so had to be kind of delusional but they were at least highly competitive within the division for much of the 2010's and absolutely had the potential to make deep playoff runs on the back of solid goaltending and D chemistry. Not anymore though.....like it's so evident Price has minimal to minimal chemistry with his top D guys with Subban and Markov gone and Weber out. Like you look at plays like Doughty's backwards no look instinct block with Quick covering the front of the net from the other night, that's what the Habs desperately need again, not a meat slab to shove some people around and blow their coverage.

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Furnaceface posted:

Im so happy right now. Also cheering for the Bruins in the first round. :toot:

furnaceface.... cheering for bruins?

is this real life?!? what is happening in the NHLS/!?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
give me the higher tampa pick in the jack hughes draft please

Kale
May 14, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

I cheer for Patrice Bergeron but not for the Bruins. No matter what team he plays for it's hard to hate the guy. He's just so loving good at everything to do with hockey and great personality too. It's hard to believe he went like 45th overall or something like that in his draft year cause for the caliber of play you'd think he'd be nothing less than top 3 overall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NHL_Entry_Draft#Round_one

I guess that was a fairly deep draft year though to put it one way.

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 27, 2018

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
actually that link doesn't work, because that draft never happened. they didn't have a draft in 2003. never held.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Quality deadline, overall, imo. Only thing could have made it better is Karlsson going to Vegas for pennies on the dollar. Nothing personal against Sen fans here, I just loathe Melnyk on a cellular level.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Kale posted:

I cheer for Patrice Bergeron but not for the Bruins. No matter what team he plays for it's hard to hate the guy. He's just so loving good at everything to do with hockey and great personality too. It's hard to believe he went like 45th overall or something like that in his draft year cause for the caliber of play you'd think he'd be nothing less than top 3 overall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NHL_Entry_Draft#Round_one

I guess that was a fairly deep draft year though to put it one way.

wow i never loving noticed Backes and Loui E came in with Bergy I totally would have thought David was older than Patty. :stare:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Nothing personal against Sen fans here, I just loathe Melnyk on a cellular level.

lol I'm pretty sure Sens fans are right there with you dude.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/JonathanWillis/status/968306972712841216

three of these players returned 1sts and more. one of them didnt

fire peter

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

fits posted:

fire peter

I want to be all "man i'm so glad he's not here anymore" but that still doesn't un-ring that seguin bell t:mad:t

Kale
May 14, 2010

fits posted:

fire peter

I suggested to a friend today that if the Habs were to make an improbable run and slot in as the eighth wild card in some fantasy land scenario that the only currently qualifying team for the playoffs that they wouldn't just get swept by in lop sided 4~6-0~1 type scores would be New Jersey who they could maybe drag out a series for 6 or 7 games against and still lose anyway cause it's just how they roll. With the latest trade no way they'd get swept hard by them too probably. There's not one team in any division currently qualified for the playoffs or even contending that the Habs wouldn't just get their poo poo pushed in by. Like I don't know this is easily the worst they've looked in the current era of the team by a long shot even if they might end up with a better record than 2011-2012 on paper. And the juries still out on whether they can even manage that floor of 31-35-16 in the remaining weeks. I really don't see where this team has another 8 wins in it's remaining 20 games let alone even 5 after failing to score yet again tonight.

Kale fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 27, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

a false posted:

TRAP SPRUNG BUDDY

:lol:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Duke Chin posted:

Odds are they will be playing the Leafs which gives me even more incentive to root for the Bruins (and for Komarov or whoever is the Leafs goony idiot to break Marchand).

Enemy of my enemy and all that.

Plus Bergeron and Krejci are cool dudes and Rask temper tantrums are still epic.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Furnaceface posted:

Odds are they will be playing the Leafs which gives me even more incentive to root for the Bruins (and for Komarov or whoever is the Leafs goony idiot to break Marchand).

Enemy of my enemy and all that.

Plus Bergeron and Krejci are cool dudes and Rask temper tantrums are still epic.

Pastrnak is cool too fyi.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Duke Chin posted:

Pastrnak is cool too fyi.

Careful using his nickname around Rick.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Matt Zerella posted:

Careful using his nickname around Rick.

gotta carb load, baby...

...yeah I don't know where in the gently caress that joke is going so uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
http://i.imgur.com/N0t6ZTr.gifv

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

I want to be all "man i'm so glad he's not here anymore" but that still doesn't un-ring that seguin bell t:mad:t

Essentially the lesson here, is that if you wanna jumpstart a rebuild, trade with peter chiarelli.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
cant wait for nuge to be traded at the draft for a 2nd and a grinder

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm pretty sure Chiarelli let out his last fart today.

All hail our new General Manager Wayner!

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
if elected oilers gm i promise to just call dale tallon every day until he agrees to trade for russel and lucic

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m surprised no one took David Desharnais. In a world where Brian Gionta is somehow wanted, I figured he’d pull in a 5th or so.

I guess Jeff was too busy with the blockbuster to even bother shopping him around.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Oilers are doomed to being hosed until they realize all their former greats aren't gonna do a drat thing to help them. The org needs a complete and total purge, particularly their scouting dept.

Like Chiarelli is a problem, sure, a big one even, but the fact that his peers in the org are a bunch of do nothing idiots who have never done a drat thing as coaches or execs that got employed because "OILERS EXCELLENCE~!" is really stupid and has been hamstringing them for almost a decade now.

I realize that's not a hot take, but their incompetence is loving staggering. Calgary seems like a well-oiled machine next to them. I enjoy their pain as a Flames fan, but I'd actually prefer the old rivalry where both teams regularly kicked the poo poo out of the rest of the conference and the only teams who could stop them were each other.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 27, 2018

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/NHL/status/968353763391148032

Stevie's gonna get Draisaitl for the Red Wings next year, by being a supportive ear for Wayne to complain about Dustin Johnson

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Zodijackylite posted:

I don't know anything about these prospects, but Brett Howden is fifth in scoring on a team that's really deep in hockey names.

Jett Woo
Kale Clague
Tate Popple
Daemon Hunt

That's not even including the Jaxan Kaluskis and Tristyn Hasalastnames.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0009992018.html

I was approximately 100% sure that you were making up names from the second guy down, but gods almighty there is a Demon Hunt in existence skating around the world.

(Also Jayden Halbgewachs, he of nice C 61 59 48 107. If we assume the second a in his last name was originally ä, that translates, with tiny poetic license, as Jayden Half-grown)

P.S. (also someone knowledge-er than me tell me if that statline means he's potentially good? He's overage though I guess? Is he drafted?)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Porrima posted:

I was approximately 100% sure that you were making up names from the second guy down, but gods almighty there is a Demon Hunt in existence skating around the world.

(Also Jayden Halbgewachs, he of nice C 61 59 48 107. If we assume the second a in his last name was originally ä, that translates, with tiny poetic license, as Jayden Half-grown)

P.S. (also someone knowledge-er than me tell me if that statline means he's potentially good? He's overage though I guess? Is he drafted?)

He'll probably end up playing in CIS (Canadian university hockey) for a Western university like a lot of Moose Jaw Warriors who put up strong numbers as an overager do, a proud tradition. He hasn't been drafted. He's also 5'8 and plays C, so that's not good.

I'm proud that Moose Jaw (I'm from there) sent some quality guys to the bigs, but man their "greatest Warriors ever" list reads pretty sadly outside Theo Fleury, Ryan Smyth, Pavel Kubina and Mike Keane. And Kubina's something of a stretch, he only played there for a year.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 27, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Is there any evidence at all that Yzerman would leave his monster cup contender team to come to the absolute long term tire fire of a situation that is the red wings beyond "he played there"?

Especially now that Mike Illich passed away and it doesn't seem like the family that inherited ownership isn't as interested in spending huge money?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DJExile posted:

Is there any evidence at all that Yzerman would leave his monster cup contender team to come to the absolute long term tire fire of a situation that is the red wings beyond "he played there"?

Especially now that Mike Illich passed away and it doesn't seem like the family that inherited ownership isn't as interested in spending huge money?

Literally 0 chance.
But that's not gonna stop the fans/detroit media.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hey...hey guys.

The CBJ/CHI trade from last summer is now Brandon Saad, Anton Forsberg, and a pick for Artemi Panarin, Thomas Vanek, and a pick. :staredog:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

DJExile posted:

Nope. It also has disaster written all over it. Yzerman inherited a very good team in Tampa and he would not in Detroit. He would have astronomical expectations coming to the Red Wings, a team where he would likely have some of the same problems as Holland in being too loyal to people who have been with the franchise forever. It’s not a good move for anyone and only looks good because it means Holland wouldn’t be calling the shots.

If Yzerman was in Detroit, I’d give it a year before fans start talking about him as the dude who missed the playoffs then signed Dan Girardi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ko9TpduOhE

• Locked thread